A Sensitive Topic...

Spikerdink

Original Poster
Hi -

Over the past few months I have been planning out taking my 4 (almost 5 when we get to WDW) cousin. I'm excited, he's excited, I know it is going to be a great time.

When I was showing him the Magic Band last weekend so that he could pick his color and get it customized, I talked to him about the trip. We talked about the plane, the Magical Express, the hotel (AKV), Jedi training, fireworks... you name it, we discussed it to really get him into thinking about it....

I have two rooms booked - one for him and me, and one for his grandmother, who is joining us. I told him he could stay in either room. After he ran out of the room to do something, his grandmother confided in me that like some boys his age, he has a bedwetting issue. Apparently he is ok wearing a diaper, but it got me to thinking.... what would happen if he had an accident while at Disney?

At home, I would just strip the bed and wash the sheets, blankets, etc (and hopefully the mattress pad protected the mattress)....but what would I do if the worst possible case happens?

Has anyone had this issue? I'm sure it happens, but I never thought about it.... I wouldn't want to make a big deal about it and embarrass him, and I certainly don't want to shame him or ridicule him. I want this to be a memorable trip - the first of many!

Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance....

DiSnEyF@n

Maybe also limiting his juice intake after say 6 or 7 pm? My step daughter had an issue like this only at night though and we limited her apple juice intake after 7 pm. She was only allowed water and she wore pull ups at night until I think almost 7 (just in case anything happened).

You could also ask the room service to please leave an extra set of sheets or you could lay down a towel if he has an accident at night. And of course I would make sure he uses the potty RIGHT before bedtime. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much about what you really can't stop from happening. Just be prepared that it may happen and that it's no big deal and totally treat it like that if it does happen.

DisneyDreamer08

I would bring some sort of water proof mattress cover/pad and put it under the sheets. If he has an accident, I would just call down to mouse keeping and request a linen change as soon as they are able. Bed wetting is extremely common among kids, I'm sure they deal with it daily.

D

Deleted member 111379

I would bring some sort of water proof mattress cover/pad and put it under the sheets. If he has an accident, I would just call down to mouse keeping and request a linen change as soon as they are able. Bed wetting is extremely common among kids, I'm sure they deal with it daily.
you got a good point yes bed wetting happens

D

Deleted member 111379

Maybe also limiting his juice intake after say 6 or 7 pm? My step daughter had an issue like this only at night though and we limited her apple juice intake after 7 pm. She was only allowed water and she wore pull ups at night until I think almost 7 (just in case anything happened).

You could also ask the room service to please leave an extra set of sheets or you could lay down a towel if he has an accident at night. And of course I would make sure he uses the potty RIGHT before bedtime. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much about what you really can't stop from happening. Just be prepared that it may happen and that it's no big deal and totally treat it like that if it does happen.
i think your point is good too

Spikerdink

Original Poster
I am sure it is - just want to be prepared for the possibilities. I want this trip to be memorable and not something that he looks back on with any negative feelings.

Spikerdink

Original Poster

I have an elderly dog who has slept with me every night of the 15 years I have had her...now that she is 18 (she was my grandparent's dog and I inherited her). She likes to sleep in on the weekends. She usually barks to let me know she is awake and I go pick her up and take her outside. Sometimes though she either doesn't bark or doesn't bark loud and I have a bit of a puddle in the bed. Doesn't faze me - I just pull the sheets off and throw them in the washer. There are bigger things in life to get upset over.

sjv

Have you ever taking care of him after an accident? If not he might feel more comfortable with him grandma at night.

Spikerdink

Original Poster
Have you ever taking care of him after an accident? If not he might feel more comfortable with him grandma at night.
I haven't but I will let him decide at that time. I think he is ok with the diaper, so we shall see.
It won't bother me and if he wakes me at 3 am to help him, then we will take care of it and go back to sleep.

HRHPrincessAriel

Mine still wears a pull up at night and can pre through that. I typically pack a roll plastic painting tarp(thick one) and small scissors so I can cut a section and more if she does pee through. If she does I take sheets off myself so housekeeping knows to give us new ones. I would not worry about day time at all if he hasn't had accidents there.

DiSnEyF@n

No - just at night.... My fear is what happens if he wets the bed.

During the day I have no problem popping into a store and buying new shorts and underwear if needed....

Honestly sounds like youv'e got everything covered. It's all "what if" now. Just go with the flow, which it totally sounds like you will do anyway and just be prepared. If you think you might have to buy him a pair of new shorts bc of an accident during the day, maybe just throw a pair of his shorts in your backpack or even like his bathing suit just in case... (if he's 4 they probably won't take up a lot of space).

Weather_Lady

I would bring some pull ups for night time. It will be so much easier and less disruptive then changing the bed in the middle of the night.

I second this advice! Pull-ups are easy to use and dispose of, and shouldn't disrupt his sleep. If he doesn't usually wear them, you (and/or grandma) should have a frank discussion with him ahead of time, emphasizing that there is nothing to be embarrassed about, lots of kids his age wear Pull-ups to bed (which is the truth!), and giving him a chance to try them out and get used to them for a few nights before he leaves.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 111379

I second this advice! Pull-ups are easy to use and dispose of, and shouldn't disrupt his sleep. If he doesn't usually wear them, you (and/or grandma) should have a frank discussion with him ahead of time, emphasizing that there is nothing to be embarrassed about, lots of kids his age wear Pull-ups to bed (which is the truth!), and giving him a chance to try them out and get used to them for a few nights before he leaves.
i agree they make goodnites

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I too would suggest the pull-ups at night; I suspect it might even reduce his stress level because he can "save face" if he does have an accident. I would also suggest bringing a night-light with you. Hotel rooms are often too dark. If he does wake up in the middle of the night because he needs to use the bathroom, he might be too scared because he is in an unfamiliar environment (and without his parents). A night-light will help in this regard.

I hope you have an awesome trip with your cousin!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom