Trip Report A Quick Trip to WDW Report

Was in the Bahamas (the amazing Atlanti$ re$ort) for company paid trip and being from So Cal, didn't know when we would get to the East Coast again. Felt like a great opportunity to add a few days to our trip and visit WDW (our 3rd trip since 2006, first without our daughters). We literally had 1 month to plan and book the trip from when I found out we were going to Nassau.

Arrived just before 6pm on 3/22 (our 17th wedding anniversary btw) and used Magical Express. Had a reasonable wait to board the bus though it seemed like a longer wait from what I remember about our previous trips. We staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort for the first (and likely last) time and fortunately that was our first stop after wading through quite a bit of surface street traffic.

Check in at CBR was simple and painless. Waiting for the internal bus was a bit more challenging. You'd think they would run more than one bus but alas, one bus, arrives every 20 minutes. Finally got on the bus and made it to our room in the Jamaica building. We had a King bed which was one of the reasons we chose CBR...could not find another moderate with Kings available. The rooms were ok, very simple but felt outdated. At the end of the day, we spent do little time in them that they worked for our needs. Would we stay here again, not likely but not just because of the rooms.

I probably don't have to tell most of you but this place is massive and there are many bus stops, one for each section of the resort. As we were already running late for our Narcoossee's 9pm reservation (due to waiting for the internal bus) we quickly got dressed and ran down to the Jamaica bus stop. Had to wait a bit for a Magic Kingdom bus to arrive but once on, it got us there quickly and we took the small resort boat over to the Grand Floridian. Had a drink at the bar (very friendly bar staff) and were seated ahead of our 9pm reservation. The great thing about Narcoossee's is the view of the Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes, both of which we enjoyed during out meal. As for the meal, I'd give it an 8/10. I had the Filet which was perfect while my wife had the 2lb lobster which was slightly overcooked. Wait staff was very attentive and even gave us complimentary champagne for our anniversary. With that, we took a taxi back to the CBR ($25) versus dealing with the crowds leaving the parks. And that ends day 1.

Day 2 is Magic Kingdom Day. Had a quick breakfast (muffin, bagel, coffee) and were able to get on a bus with plenty of time to arrive and see the welcome show. Despite reading advice to the contrary, we booked FP+ Splash & HM for early in the AM. Thankfully we did not use either of them as the crowds were very light at 9am. This is where I really liked the whole FP+ thing. We easily made multiple changes throughout the day changing FP+ rides and/or times using my iPhone. I will say my experience with FP+ was very positive, despite my initial concerns about it and having to preplan our trip. Getting back to the light morning crowds, we were able to ride BTMRR, Splash, HM, Pirates, Country Bears, Tiki Room, Aladdin's Carpets & The Jungle Cruise all before our 1:30 lunch reservation at Be Our Guest.

As for Be Our Guest, getting a reservation was just pure luck. We received an e-mail from Disney a couple of days before we arrived asking if we wanted to participate in a test where we could order our meal in advance via our iPhone/Mobile device and we'd essentially have FP+ return time. Tried to make a reservation a few times but nothing worked...until we arrived at the MK that morning and I tried again and there was now a time slot available for 1:35-2:35. We took it and arrived around 1:30 and were immediately let in, went to a register where they asked is if we wanted to make any modifications to our meal. After that, we were quickly seated and out food was out within 5-10 minutes. I had the Turkey Sandwich and my wife had the Roast Beef. Both were good, not great. We both much prefer the Turkey and Road Beef at Pacific Wharf at DCA. I will say that food in general at the MK is terrible when compared to Disneyland or DCA...by miles. WDW really has to step it up in this area.

By now, the crowds were really starting to pack the place. Thankfully, we had knocked out all of our priorities early in the morning so the second half of our day we did the following: Small World, Philharmagic, Peoplemover, Stitch, Carousel of Progress, & Tomorrowland Speedway (my wife's choice despite me telling her how much is sucked, especially compared to Autopia...she agreed after the ride that it did indeed suck). Wanted to ride Space Mtn but it was broken down. We also staked out a spot in front of the Christmas Shoppe in Liberty Square and watched FOF parade. It was good but I think I liked Soundsational quite a bit more.

Had dinner at Pecos Bill's (wife liked the taco salad, I thought the burger was ok at best) and then boarded the train in Frontierland for a trip to Main Street. One quick aside, while Storybook Circus is clearly better than Toontown Fair, it really didn't do much for me. Maybe not having kids with us this time changed by perception or maybe my expectations were just too high. Anyways, after getting off the train at MSUSA, we walked through the shops, picked up a few gifts for the kids and made our way to the FP+ seating for the MSEP. I've seen this parade a multitude of times so while it's my wife's favorite, I really didn't have much desire to see it again. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed it and the FP+ seating was great right at the top of the hub. While I really didn't want to waste a FP+ on a parade, it was totally worth it to be seated 20 minutes before the show and be right up front row. Stayed in our spot and watched the very cool Celebrate the Magic castle show and then got out of the MK (via the backstage path) before Wishes started. Both of us were tired and ok missing it as we've seen it a couple of times and were able to watch it from Narcoossee's the night before. Got right on a bus and were back in our room very quickly. And so ends day 1.

Stevek

Original Poster
Day 2: Epcot

Got up a little later on day 2, had a quick breakfast at the Port Royale Food Court and waited for quite awhile for an Epcot bus to show up. Must have seen 3 MK and 3 Downtown Disney busses along with every other park before the first Epcot bus finally showed up. Consequently, we got to Epcot just as it opened. We had FP+ for Test Track, SSE and Living with the Land with only TT being in the morning. Took a chance and went directly there, rode it single rider and quickly changed our Tier 1 FP+ to Maelstrom (more on that later). As for Test Track, I may be in the minority but we both liked the concept of the old TT better. This one, aka Tron Track, felt so abstract. It just feels like it's about a "visual" experience versus the old that really felt like a "Test Track" experience. Really had no desire to go on it again. Walked on to Mission Space (Green) and decided to check on SSE...still had long wait at that point so we decided to stop at Mouse Gear and do the rest of our souvenier shopping. Used the package pick up option as there was no way I was going to lug a bag full of gifts around.

Had an 11:30 reservation at Via Napoli so left Mouse Gear, rode Three Caballeros, walked through Norway and arrived just ahead of our reservation at Via Napoli, which we really didn't need to be honest. The place was fairly empty and you could walk in no problem. The pizza is my favorite anywhere...fantastic and a was a must do for us on this trip. We also got the Caprese salad which was below average at best. Would not recommend it. After that, decided to hit the remainder of the World Showcase pavillions as we didn't get to spend much time in any of them on our previous trips. Ran into Michael Eisner and his wife in the France Pavillion. Said hello to him but he either didn't hear me or just ignored me. I'm guessing it was the former...will give him the benefit of the doubt.

After walking through all of WS, made our way back for our FP+ at SSE (I love this ride in any incarnation), FP+ for Living with the Land and walk on for Nemo. Both of us agree that we enjoy this version of Nemo lite better than the Subs version. Again, we may be in the minority. Figment was closed so we then headed back WS to hit a few of the Flower and Garden Festival Food Stands and see many of the topiaries. The flowers and topiaries were beautiful. Finally made it to Maelstrom as despite having a 1pm FP+, it had been broken down from just after opening until around 5pm. Thankfully, they still honored it and we basically walked right on. Love this ride, just hope then don't decide to do a frozen overlay. Walked around a bit more and at this point, we were dead tired. Decided to stake out a spot just in front of the Norway beer cart (my new favorite attraction in Norway) and waited for Illuminations. Absolutely love this show and it didn't disappoint this time.

Show ended and we made the long trek back to the very easy baggage pick up followed by a fairly short wait for a bus back to CBR. Woke up yesterday morning a little later waited another 20 minutes for an internal resort bus to take us and our bags to the Customs House for our airline check in. Did I mention that I was not overly in love with the CBR bus system? Airline check in was a breeze and then we asked for a 1 hour later checkout (12 noon) but were denied. Said they are 100% booked and have to turn everything around quickly. Waited another 20 minutes for a bus to take us back to our room, grabbed our bags and headed back to Port Royale. Because of all of the bus delays, we missed out on breakfast. Hung out a bit in the food court, did a bit more shopping, ate lunch and then grabbed the internal bus back to the Customs house for the Magical Express Ride back to the airport.

So overall...

Positives:
FP+ worked far better than expected and gave me flexibility to make many changes as our plans changed during the day. We completely avoided alot of back and forth in MK getting old school FP's.
Narcoossee's was very enjoyable for our anniversary.
Via Napoli is still as great as I remember
All the rides we rode were in very good working condition, no issues with Splash, BTMRR, Mansion, etc. (Note that after riding the DL BTMRR just before we left for the Bahamas, I now prefer the DL version over MK. So smooth, fantastic ending. I hope they enhance the MK one at some point in the future.)
Was great to see CBJ, even in it's abbreviated version. So bummed it's not in here in So. Cal anymore.

Negatives:
CBR...again, rooms OK, nothing special at all but what really hurt it was the transportation. It's just too big of a resort and we much preferred Pop Century to be honest.
MK food leaves alot to be desired.
Epcot, while my second favorite Disney park behind Disneyland, is incredibly tiring to get around unless you plan better than we did. We should have knocked out FW in the morning and World Showcase in the afternoon instead of doing a back and forth.

The biggest takeway of all is that I'm not sure I have any burning desire to come back again anytime soon. After spending a few days in the Bahamas before and doing a week in Hawaii last year, I'm reminded that there is so much more out that that is equally, if not more enjoyable than a WDW vacation. Each time we have gone to WDW, we've come back exhausted as it's definitely not a relaxing vacation compared to those other places. Of course, much of that is our fault as we made the choice to hit the parks fast and hard. I think that if we did 8 days with a rest day between each park, we might have a more enjoyable time. That being said, I think our next vacation will be full of Aloha's and Mahalo's (not at Aulani by the way) versus Wishes, Dreams & Magical Memories.

DisneyPrincess5

Happy anniversary! And that's awesome that you were able to make a longer trip out of your work trip! While I LOVE to plan, I think I would secretly love to plan a trip with 1 month notice.
I agree with you about MK quick service. It needs a little help, but here's dreaming for all the people they serve. That's great to hear that the Fastpass+ worked in your favor! Gives us hope.
Thanks for sharing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom