Trip Report A Poly Girl in a GF World *COMPLETED*

*Gasp!* :jawdrop:

Is it true? Tuvalu, the die-hard Polynesian fan, spent 4 recent nights at a different deluxe resort? Didn't she already have three magical stays at the Poly this year? Didn't she take her name from her favorite longhouse at the Poly? Isn't this blasphemy? (Actually it isn't, but you get the point.)

Yep, it's true. Like many of you who have broken loyal ties to a political party (don't worry, I'm not gonna go there) Woody and I decided to try another option for our Food and Wine Festival excursion.

In anticipation of the question, "Why didn't you stay at an Epcot resort?" I will say, "Cause I like the MK resorts better." :D

Tuvalu and Woody taking a trip to WDW specifically for F&W is a bit ironic, since:
1) We are not foodies and
2) We are not big drinkers
But as we approach our sunset years, we are determined to keep ourselves open to new experiences and embrace change (even when we don't like it.)

And really, who doesn't like to eat?

Now back to the resort. The Grand Floridian. Disney's Flagship resort. The resort people call "too stuffy." Or "I could never be comfortable there." Or "The Four Seasons is a much better resort for the price."

Well, Woody and I were quite comfortable, despite a couple of irritating incidents to be revealed later. We had no problem walking around in our Target and Kohl's clothes. And we got a room rate that wouldn't have paid for the janitor's closet at the Four Seasons. (Okay, a slight exaggeration.)

The deets:
Dates: October 1-5, 2016
Cast: Tuvalu and Woody

IMG_4333.JPG

Follow along to find out how we filled that "rumbly in our tumbly."

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hooray! Thank you for scoping out the grand Floridian before our trip there next summer LOL! I appreciate it! Will be reading this one carefully.

Just booked a stay there for the very first time for our February cruise so I'm in for this ride. Need me some VGF details!

You know I aim to please you fellows! Hope I can do you both proud.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, October 1

I had been home (the place where I get my mail ;)) exactly one week from my "tag-a-long" trip and it was time to return to the airport! It was a pretty monumental week and Woody and I were ready to celebrate. We stopped for breakfast first at CFA Dwarf House and made it to the airport by 10 am.

IMG_3869.JPG

After getting his luggage tag, Woody walked to the counter to drop off his bag. The Southwest agent noticed the DME yellow tag and said, "Where are your kids?"
To which Woody replied, "Grown and gone!" :D

Orlando, I'm coming home!
IMG_3870.JPG

The flight was uneventful and things were going swimmingly as we made our way towards Magical Express.
And then we hit this.

IMG_3871.JPG

Those people aren't just milling around. This is the END of the DME line! :in pain:

IMG_3872.JPG

I have never seen it this crowded!

We were still waiting to scan our bands at the check in desk when I snapped this pic.
IMG_3874.JPG

Madness I tell you! Sheer madness!!

Finally we were able to join yet another line. :rolleyes:
IMG_3875.JPG

Total wait time to board our DME bus? 45 minutes!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I had done online check in and was texted our room number just as we boarded our bus. Score one for the GF! And it was earlier than the "official" 3 pm check in time. Bonus point!

Our frustration frowns are turned upside down now that we're onboard!
IMG_3877.JPG

However, the frowns *may* have returned when the driver announced our drop off order: Ft. Wilderness, WL, Contemporary, Poly, GF. Five resorts??!! And GF is last??!! Today was NOT Magical Express' finest service, that's for sure!

Seeing Mickey made us happy.
IMG_3878.JPG

Two hours after our flight landed, we had finally arrived.
IMG_3879.JPG

Richard, the 90-something greeter was out front but I was unable to get his picture. But I did get pictures of these guys:

For Woody
IMG_3926.JPG

For @MinnieM123
IMG_3927.JPG

There are other Disney friends scattered throughout the marble flooring. Does this scream "too stuffy" to you? I would think not!

I'm not intimidated by the beautiful chandelier or majestic ceiling, are you?
IMG_4171.JPG

The staircase beckons to be climbed.
IMG_4172.JPG

Even the elevator is friendly and welcoming.
IMG_4173.JPG

(Did you notice Cinderella and Prince Charming?)

Tony the Tigger

Saturday, October 1

I had been home (the place where I get my mail ;)) exactly one week from my "tag-a-long" trip and it was time to return to the airport! It was a pretty monumental week and Woody and I were ready to celebrate. We stopped for breakfast first at CFA Dwarf House and made it to the airport by 10 am.

View attachment 171383

After getting his luggage tag, Woody walked to the counter to drop off his bag. The Southwest agent noticed the DME yellow tag and said, "Where are your kids?"
To which Woody replied, "Grown and gone!" :D

Orlando, I'm coming home!
View attachment 171384

The flight was uneventful and things were going swimmingly as we made our way towards Magical Express.
And then we hit this.

View attachment 171388
Those people aren't just milling around. This is the END of the DME line! :in pain:

View attachment 171386
I have never seen it this crowded!

We were still waiting to scan our bands at the check in desk when I snapped this pic.
View attachment 171387
Madness I tell you! Sheer madness!!

Finally we were able to join yet another line. :rolleyes:
View attachment 171385
Total wait time to board our DME bus? 45 minutes!!

Omg! Anytime we've flown up, we are the only people going to DME. Only one time there was one other couple on our bus. (I like to tell B, "See, I rented the whole bus just for us!")

Loving the GF details.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Good grief--it's mid/late October and so many people at the ME line, waiting for their vacation bus?! Surely, not all of this crowd was headed to Food & Wine, although the Halloween festivities are currently going on. Still, I'm shocked at the crowds waiting.

Is Richard still there at the GF? I recall reading this past year that the greeters (across the properties) were gone, but I had wondered about him--if they let him stay on. He's always been at the GF. I hope he's still there--such a nice man. Met him once, some years ago.

Thanks for posting the lovely tile pictures!!! That hotel is gorgeous!! :inlove:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Omg! Anytime we've flown up, we are the only people going to DME. Only one time there was one other couple on our bus. (I like to tell B, "See, I rented the whole bus just for us!")

Loving the GF details.

Good grief--it's mid/late October and so many people at the ME line, waiting for their vacation bus?! Surely, not all of this crowd was headed to Food & Wine, although the Halloween festivities are currently going on. Still, I'm shocked at the crowds waiting.

Is Richard still there at the GF? I recall reading this past year that the greeters (across the properties) were gone, but I had wondered about him--if they let him stay on. He's always been at the GF. I hope he's still there--such a nice man. Met him once, some years ago.

Thanks for posting the lovely tile pictures!!! That hotel is gorgeous!! :inlove:

Wow, that is some massive crowd at DME! I have to admit, I've never had a great experience using it, two hours from gate to WDW is the norm for me. We usually rent a car. ;)

We were STUNNED by the DME crowds. @Tiggerish, I even commented to Woody, "If this was my first experience with DME, it would be my LAST experience! @Tony the Tigger, you'd better stick with driving or you may never get Brian back.

@MinnieM123, Richard was outside greeting but he was talking with other guests so I did not get a picture. Who I did not see at GF this trip was the teddy bear lady...I looked for her every day during our stay...I can't remember the last time I was in the lobby and didn't see her.

More GF pics to come!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom