Trip Report A Photograph Is Worth a Thousand Posts: Disneyland in Monochrome

A photographic journey of Disneyland, captured entirely in monochrome.

12785616553_dd2b6974f0_b.jpg

12785938154_c7bf13e464_b.jpg

12785512135_d0e06e3d3a_b.jpg

12785615743_325f6c8512_b.jpg

Last edited:

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Great stuff Dan! What camera & lenses were you using?
Thanks! One camera (Nikon D7000), One lens (Nikon 50mm 1.8D) the entire trip. I was planning on lugging down all of my film gear but for once I decided to take it easy and let the autofocus / aperture priority make life easy for me.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Well... we finally made the pilgrimage. A while back we were itching for a vacation, kept creeping back to the forums, and mornings full of YouTube videos of shows, attractions, and other Disney related material. The only problem is that the DW and I visited WDW three times last year. Essentially that came to be as a result of a long Disneymoon and purchasing AP's. We consequently went with friends a second time, and then a third time after a score of a flight was had.

All in all, we were ready for something "different". So we decided Disneyland it was.

Now, unlike WDW this was unchartered territory. I had NO idea where anything was, NO idea what hotels were in the area, NO idea how far the airports were. It was actually pretty fun, I felt like a "newbie" again.

We went back and forth, back and forth about where to stay and how long a visit was needed. Since a flight from Boston to LAX isn't the cheapest we figured might as well push the stay as long as we could. We settled on a 6 day trip with a 5 Day Park Hopper.

In terms of where we wanted to stay, I was very disappointed in the planning process and couldn't be any happier with what we decided and how it turned out. This is a pretty big shift for us, we are 100% on property people when heading to WDW so the decision on where to stay weighed heavily on us. At the end of the day we decided off property suited our needs. It's not even a cost factor, it is more what comes with (or more like what doesn't come with) an on property experience. I have no problem shelling out 350 dollars a night to stay at the Beach Club because I view a WDW property as such: Magical Express (check off transportation), the ability to walk to two gates, EMH's, a wonderfully themed hotel. At Disneyland I found it amazing there is NO Magical Express, there is NO EMH (I don't count Magical Mornings as the same thing).

We stayed at the Best Western about 150 yards from the front entrance of DLR... for a whopping 89 dollars a night. From the exterior it was nothing special, but the room was plenty fine. Clean, comfortable king size bed, all we needed.

Well, the first installment... more images to come, more ideas, and perhaps some YouTube vlogs.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
This is really neat. I bet the train conductor (and his family) would love a copy of that profile shot.

Hilarious to see a Prius in B&W.
Many, many more images to come. I'm a primarily a film shooter and feel black and white is how I see the world. For once though I left the film and many cameras I own at home and packed a single digital camera / lens.

Hopefully more of a TR to follow as well, I have never really seen a pure photographic representation of someone's trip before so I figured I'd be different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom