A new Disney park - with no place for it to go?!

mharrington

Original Poster
In your opening post, you cancelled out Australia, but, the closest park from Sydney, Australia would be Hong Kong Disneyland at 4,587 miles away.

Well, the problem with Australia is that, like all of the Asian parks, this one is located at or near the Pacific.

Australia is its own continent so that may be something to consider - it checks off all your criteria.

And so is South America. Brazil seems like a relatively safe bet (the safest, anyway) in this regard. Probably around Rio, which, as I said, has a partying reputation (when the situation is right). And it just hosted the Olympics, so there's that.

Another thing was, for some reason (I don't really know why), I was thinking of doing a park where German is the main language (I was thinking of doing a replica of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train with this language for example). And it's not the case in either Australia (English) or Brazil (Portuguese). But I guess those are the two safest bets right now.

Twilight_Roxas

Well, the problem with Australia is that, like all of the Asian parks, this one is located at or near the Pacific.

And so is South America. Brazil seems like a relatively safe bet (the safest, anyway) in this regard. Probably around Rio, which, as I said, has a partying reputation (when the situation is right). And it just hosted the Olympics, so there's that.

Another thing was, for some reason (I don't really know why), I was thinking of doing a park where German is the main language (I was thinking of doing a replica of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train with this language for example). And it's not the case in either Australia (English) or Brazil (Portuguese). But I guess those are the two safest bets right now.
With Brazil, and Rio you might want to look at the crime rate.

Keyblade Jedi

It is in Europe, so no, it doesn't. The terrain is also too rugged.

Well, it's not like the other locations are exactly perfect, either. And it does have to go somewhere.

Would New Zealand Works too? Because I Was Going to Do Another Thread of My Disneyland Park and Resort Being Built in New Zealand.

spacemt354

Chili's

Rio's crime rate is very high though and that is something to consider. Along with their surrounding area as well (you'd need open land). Plus many Brazilian tourist groups in WDW, similar to the UK visitors, saturating the market.

Personally I think you're better off reconsidering a 4th Asian park or an Australian park, but I look forward to seeing the results of any of them!

mharrington

Original Poster
Rio's crime rate is very high though and that is something to consider. Along with their surrounding area as well (you'd need open land). Plus many Brazilian tourist groups in WDW, similar to the UK visitors, saturating the market.

Personally I think you're better off reconsidering a 4th Asian park or an Australian park, but I look forward to seeing the results of any of them!

But the Asian side of things seems saturated, too. Not only are there three parks in this area, but I also don't know too much of a history of Disney movies released in Asia (outside of Japan) to help support this. The only way to really know for certain would be to consult the Disney Archives. I tried that once when I wanted to look at release dates of films in Hong Kong. I sent them a letter about it, but they never responded. And the park would have to conform to the customs/culture of the country in question.

As for Australia (indeed, anywhere in the Pacific area), it would have to be supremely different than any other Disney park, more so than even Shanghai. Given its relative proximity to the Asian parks, the Australian park would have to be even more radically different. And I would have to forego, say, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train if I wanted to do anything here.

I don't know why, but I was really hoping to do something in a German language.

MANEATINGWREATH

If you really want to do something in Germany, then just do something in Germany! No one is stopping anyone. This is all in fun, I wouldn't take the logistics of the location too much into consideration, you know? I'd bring logistics and realism into the design of the attractions and park itself.

kmbmw777

If you really want to do something in Germany, then just do something in Germany! No one is stopping anyone. This is all in fun, I wouldn't take the logistics of the location too much into consideration, you know? I'd bring logistics and realism into the design of the attractions and park itself.
I agree.

mharrington

Original Poster

It's not that I don't have any ideas (I just listed out a couple of examples at the beginning of this thread), it's just I like to do it as if it could theoretically happen. This is slightly off-topic, but in terms of attractions, particularly for preexisting parks (like I said, off-topic), it can be difficult to fit them in. It's really no fun to create a wonderful attraction, only for it to be hindered by some outside force. I'm different than everyone else here. I think that logistics are just as important as blue sky, if not more.

Anyway (back on topic more or less), there is this one book that just came out that looks real good. It's about Disney's overseas parks, all of them: Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong and Shanghai. At the end of the book, there is an epilogue about where Disney might strike next. As the book says, "Iger has frequently said that international expansion is one of the Walt Disney Company's three strategic priorities." It hints at rumored parks likely to come in places like Australia, Brazil and even Zimbabwe.

spacemt354

Chili's
It's not that I don't have any ideas (I just listed out a couple of examples at the beginning of this thread), it's just I like to do it as if it could theoretically happen. This is slightly off-topic, but in terms of attractions, particularly for preexisting parks (like I said, off-topic), it can be difficult to fit them in. It's really no fun to create a wonderful attraction, only for it to be hindered by some outside force. I'm different than everyone else here. I think that logistics are just as important as blue sky, if not more.

Anyway (back on topic more or less), there is this one book that just came out that looks real good. It's about Disney's overseas parks, all of them: Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong and Shanghai. At the end of the book, there is an epilogue about where Disney might strike next. As the book says, "Iger has frequently said that international expansion is one of the Walt Disney Company's three strategic priorities." It hints at rumored parks likely to come in places like Australia, Brazil and even Zimbabwe.
German is a co-official language in Brazil, in the Rio Grande do Sul region - this would help you make your German Snow White Mine Train

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territorial_entities_where_German_is_an_official_language

There are other European countries on that list as well, but Brazil was one you were interested in, so hopefully that will help you!

spacemt354

Chili's
mharrington has been around here for a long time, and he's always considered the logistics a top priority in all his projects.

It's much different that most people (even my own approach) but I think that's okay. It's the eclectic perspectives on how to approach imagineering that I enjoy reading on here!

mharrington

Original Poster
German is a co-official language in Brazil, in the Rio Grande do Sul region - this would help you make your German Snow White Mine Train

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territorial_entities_where_German_is_an_official_language

There are other European countries on that list as well, but Brazil was one you were interested in, so hopefully that will help you!

Well, Portuguese is the main language of Brazil. I imagine the most likely heard German will be in safety spiels. As for the Mine Train, I'm having a rethink there if it were to go in there, since WDW has a Brazilian clientele. There would have to be very different things to be put in so as not to saturate things too much. The Mine Train might work in Australia, however.

spacemt354

Chili's
Well, Portuguese is the main language of Brazil. I imagine the most likely heard German will be in safety spiels. As for the Mine Train, I'm having a rethink there if it were to go in there, since WDW has a Brazilian clientele. There would have to be very different things to be put in so as not to saturate things too much. The Mine Train might work in Australia, however.
In the grand scheme of things I think, especially with the article you read, Brazil or Australia would be realistic places to put your new park

tcool123

Well it sounds realistically, you can't build anywhere.

Have you thought about doing something similar to my Singapore Resort, and setting it back in time?

If you want to build Disneyland Germany then go ahead, you can set it to the nineties and take Paris out of the equation. This way you can have your Germany resort, and be realistic.

mharrington

Original Poster
mharrington has been around here for a long time, and he's always considered the logistics a top priority in all his projects.

It's much different that most people (even my own approach) but I think that's okay. It's the eclectic perspectives on how to approach imagineering that I enjoy reading on here!

Thank you!

Well it sounds realistically, you can't build anywhere.

Have you thought about doing something similar to my Singapore Resort, and setting it back in time?

If you want to build Disneyland Germany then go ahead, you can set it to the nineties and take Paris out of the equation. This way you can have your Germany resort, and be realistic.

No, I haven't thought about time traveling. I'm not too fond of becoming too fictitious. This park idea of mine is fictitious as it is. As for a European location, I think Paris is a great location. The main thing that dragged it down, I think, was building too many hotels. Maybe they could have only done the Disneyland Hotel at the entrance (and maybe the campground). There was a second potential location for the European resort, which was Barcelona, Spain. Germany was never on the table, I don't think. Anyway, what's done is done. The past is in the past.

MANEATINGWREATH

Having been to Germany myself, putting a park there would be either a hit or a miss in terms of realistic crowd influx. Each of the major cities are spread out by miles and miles of fields and farmland, as well as the occasional mountain range, truck stop, or small town still trapped in the medieval-era (with technology, of course). I think it would do well with tourists, but maybe not as well with the locals themselves. I know that, in the case of DLP, not a lot of citizens were thrilled with such a major American corporation coming in and setting up shop.

Interestingly enough, Donald Duck was more popular than Mickey Mouse in Germany. DuckTales was always on TV and Donald Duck comics were for sale at every major store chain I visited.

Magic Feather

FWiW, if you want South America without doing the highly crime ridden and cliché Brasil, Argentina would be a good bet. They would have lots of available land and a large population. They already have a few thriving theme parks, like Parque del Costa.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom