A look back at Darkbeer and his world record

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

Phroobar

It's good that Adventure City is still in operation. They replaced the tree top coaster with a bomberang coaster. It's a fun cheap place for little kids.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
It's good that Adventure City is still in operation. They replaced the tree top coaster with a bomberang coaster. It's a fun cheap place for little kids.

I am also happy, American Coaster Enthusiasts had its local Christmas Party there last year. (My wife was the planner).

Also got to cover Rewind Racers (the Tree Top Replacement), and in fact got one of the first test rides.

And also went earlier this summer when relatives came to town with a young one, and she loved it.

Alas, there are still some issues with the property and some of the outer buildings, but it doesn't look like anything is closing in the near future.

But we don't always need a full day park, sometimes a smaller part day park is enough for a kid (of any age) to enjoy themselves.

Somewhat off-topic, but somewhat on topic, I happen to be a partner in Irvine Lanes and landlord of Boomers in Irvine. And yes, it is a good investment that my family has had for decades. (Since the Lanes opened in 1980). (but it is a small percentage of the company).

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Thank you jmuboy, I love telling stories and sharing my knowledge. And my current behind the scenes role allows me to share it with a lot of people across the world. (I was going to say "new", but I have been dealing with Media production part time for decades, so not really new, just more hours out of my day).

The 11 in 11 challenge was that, an idea that my Wife came up with while in a queue, and turned into a major puzzle on how to do it. It took a long time to put all the pieces of the puzzle together, and we did practice runs in segments to figure out the quickest way to get it done.

So while it ended up being "less" than 11 hours, it was hundreds of hours in planning, and yes, enjoyable hours, to end up with one article, which Ironically was for MiceAge. (It wasn't planned for that site to begin with, but due to many reasons, ended up being my big MiceAge introduction.)

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Interesting to note, I got my yearly check from my Irvine Lanes partnership.

We made a nice profit this fiscal year, and we were limited to the amount we could share with our employees due to "Obamacare" and how it would effect the program. (As a small employer, we buy through the exchange). We would have preferred to give a bit more to them!

We are adding new High Speed Wi-Fi, more LED lighting, signage, etc. ALso working on upgrading our Laser Tag area, and adding new sports/brewery themed room.

Also,as landlords of Boomer's next door, I can say they had a nice increase in gross revenue.

Sales projections show a high single digit in growth in the near future, so good to see the industry in general is doing well.

Absimilliard

Hey Darkbeer, fun reading your 11 coasters in 11 parks challenge! I remember you from the miceage days and I believe I met you in 2005.

Nice to hear about your success in business and that as landlord of Boomers, you're involved in the park industry.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I find it interesting,I was always a fan and paying guest to the parks starting as a kid (OK, my dad paid for the tickets), but friends of mine got me to meet Bud Hurlbut as a teen, and learned some of the backstage stuff from him. Bud Hurlbut built Castle Park, which was sold to Palace entertainment back in 1998 which also owns Boomers!, and then sold to Parques Reunidos. So while just a landlord for one location, still interesting to say I have a tie to Kennywood and other parks. And have a few pieces of Bud Hurlbut's private collection in my house/home office.

And the house I bought is in-between Knott's and Disneyland, I guess sometimes you can't take the kid out of the adult, and glad to say there is still a piece of him in me today :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom