Pre-Trip A last-minute Griswold vacation: POR Jan 22-29, 2015

My most recent (first!) trip report: POR March-April 2014

So here we go again. Mom and I were talking about two weeks ago, saying how nice it would be to head to WDW again in March 2015. Back in November, I was in the process of breaking ground on a new house when some unforeseen roadblocks popped up and I had to put a hold on it until the spring. It's not a big deal -- I'm happy living where I am now, and waiting a few months won't make much of a difference in the end. So instead of being fully immersed in home building, I decided to plant the Disney seed and see if it got picked up. Well, did it ever.

But before that, I suppose I should mention the thread title. No, our last name isn't Griswold. But National Lampoons Christmas Vacation is a cult favourite within our immediate and extended family, mostly because it hits really close to home. We're able to identify with a lot of the characters...and we wouldn't change that for anything!

Back to the task at hand. Here mom and I are last year drinking ice cold South Sea Storms from the Japan Pavilion on a beautiful hot day at EPCOT.
IMG_0867 by tommypei, on Flickr

And here we are at the Tree of Life on another beautiful day.
IMG_1479 by tommypei, on Flickr

For a week or so, we played around with dates from late February through to the first week of April, but weren't really blown away by the prices, no matter how many different sets of dates we tried. We normally get a travel agent friend to find us a Westjet vacation package, and figured we might need to do the same thing this year. The trouble is, that travel agent friend is currently in Mexico, and we were getting worried about missing out on any current substantial discounts. So, on Tuesday of this week, just for fun we tried backing the date up to January 22-29 and we added a third adult (my dad, who would come along if we found a really good deal). And BOOM! PSDS kicked in, Port Orleans: Riverside suddenly had all kinds of availability, flights got ridiculously cheap, and the final price dropped by about $1,200!

We talked about it for another 24 hours or so, playing with the dates a little bit more, but found that one day on either side of Jan 22-29 hiked the price bit by bit. So, last night, we bit the bullet and booked! We ended up reserving by phone because my parents are actually going to stay in Florida a few days after we leave POR to visit their friends who are renting a condo for 3 months. Sadly, I'll be needing to get back to work!

So here's the plan:

January 22-29, 2015
Port Orleans: Riverside (fingers crossed for Magnolia Bend!)
Play, Stay, Dine & Save package
7 days base tickets (no park hopper - we never do)
Dining plan
My parents and me -- yes, we'll have fun, and no, we won't kill each other. It's dad's and my fifth trip, and mom's sixth. Mom and I are at the point where we're hoping to head to WDW every winter for the rest of our lives.

Driving from our home on Prince Edward Island the beautiful after work on Jan 21st to Halifax, NS (YHZ); staying at the airport hotel and waking up at some terribly early hour; flying Delta YHZ to MCO and arriving around 12:30pm!

We're getting together tonight to make our ADRs and possibly start our FP+ reservations too. We're also considering taking the Magic Behind our Stream Trains tour, possibly on Jan 27th, as a surprise for my dad, who's a big train fan since his dad worked on the railroad for years. We did KTTK last year and absolutely loved it. The icing on the cake was that it was our guide's first ever tour on her own, and she did a magnificent job. It's well worth the investment, and we're hoping Trains will be too.

That's all for now. More to come after we get into ADRs tonight!

Oh, PS, if you're into following trips live on social media, follow me on Twitter and Instagram! I don't usually put any HQ pics on Flickr til we get home. Links are below in my sig.

Last edited:

officialtom

Original Poster
Alrighty, here's the first run at our plans. We spent most of Friday evening sorting out our ADRs and FP+. For the first time, we're trying all new restaurants. We normally repeat at least one or two (Boma, obviously, being one, but we're skipping it this year!). We're also trying to move more away from the parks and to the resorts for our meals. I want to spend more time seeing the sights of the resorts this year since we normally only see AKL and Poly (when we eat there). Any thoughts?

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - Pre-flight
-Drive to Halifax from Stratford, PEI after work
-One night at the Alt airport hotel

Thursday, January 22 - Travel day & Epcot Day 1
-4:00 wakeup call
-Fly YHZ to MCO!
-Catch the DME to POR around 12:30
-Already checked in, so drop bags with bell services if the room's not ready
-Hop a bus to Epcot!
-2:00 FP+ The Seas (we'll likely miss this, but don't really care)
-3:00 FP+ Spaceship Earth
-4:25 FP+ Living with the Land for mom (although she likely won't need it)
-4:25 FP+ Test Track for dad and me (I've never done it ...)
-7:10 ADR Rose & Crown
-9:00 IllumiNations (no FP+ this time)

Friday, January 23 - DHS
-Relax for the morning; explore POR
-12:50 FP+ Lights, Motors, Action!
-3:35 FP+ Indy
-6:25 FP+ Fantasmic (we used an FP+ last year and it was awesome)
-Bus to DTD
-8:30 ADR Fulton's
-Drink and shop!

Saturday, January 24 - MK Day 1
-Bus (if available) or taxi to MK for 7:15
-The Magic Behind Our Steam Trains tour (dad's a big train fan, and this is his Christmas present from mom)
-1:00 FP+ BTM (mom liked/hated it last year -- she didn't know how to feel about it, so I'm insisting she try it again)
-2:40 FP+ 7DMT (first time!)
-3:00 FoF!
-5:15 ADR Whispering Canyon at WL
-7:30 FP+ Haunted Mansion
-8:00 MSEP
-9:00 Wishes
-9:30 EWP

Sunday, January 25 - AK
-10:45 Flights of Wonder
-11:00 FP+ Expedition Everest
-12:40 Killimanjaro Safari
-2:30 FoLK (our first time in the new theatre!)
-5:20 ADR Sanaa (very excited to give this place a try)

Monday, January 26 - Epcot Day 2
-10:15 FP+ Soarin
-12:00 FP+ (#2) Spaceship Earth
-1:35 FP+ Mission: SPACE
-6:25 ADR Cape May
-9:00 IllumiNations

Tuesday, January 27 - MK Day 2
-12:55 FP+ Jungle Cruise
-2:00 FP+ Pirates
-3:35 FP+ (#2) 7DMT
-6:05 ADR Narcoossee's
-8:00 Wishes

Wednesday, January 28 - Potential DHS or AK Day #2 (or resort relax/DTD?)
-9:20am ADR Kona breakfast

Thursday, January 29 - Heading home :(
-DTD and/or resort exploration
-DME to MCO around 6pm
-Flight back to Halifax for me, while the parents stay in Florida for a few days to visit friends.

I'm already dreading the thought of the last day!!!

Last edited:

janelove956

Alrighty, here's the first run at our plans. We spent most of Friday evening sorting out our ADRs and FP+. For the first time, we're trying all new restaurants. We normally repeat at least one or two (Boma, obviously, being one, but we're skipping it this year!). We're also trying to move more away from the parks and to the resorts for our meals. I want to spend more time seeing the sights of the resorts this year since we normally only see AKL and Poly (when we eat there). Any thoughts?

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - Pre-flight
-Drive to Halifax from Stratford, PEI after work
-One night at the Alt airport hotel

Thursday, January 22 - Travel day & Epcot Day 1
-4:00 wakeup call
-Fly YHZ to MCO!
-Catch the DME to POR around 12:30
-Already checked in, so drop bags with bell services if the room's not ready
-Hope a bust to Epcot!
-2:00 FP+ The Seas (we'll likely miss this, but don't really care)
-3:00 FP+ Spaceship Earth
-4:25 FP+ Living with the Land for mom (although she likely won't need it)
-4:25 FP+ Test Track for dad and me (I've never done it ...)
-7:10 ADR Rose & Crown
-9:00 IllumiNations (no FP+ this time)

Friday, January 23 - DHS
-Relax for the morning; explore POR
-12:50 FP+ Lights, Motors, Action!
-3:35 FP+ Indy
-6:25 FP+ Fantasmic (we used an FP+ last year and it was awesome)
-Bus to DTD
-8:30 ADR Fulton's
-Drink and shop!

Saturday, January 24 - MK Day 1
-Bus (if available) or taxi to MK for 7:15
-The Magic Behind Our Steam Trains tour (dad's a big train fan, and this is his Christmas present from mom)
-1:00 FP+ BTM (mom liked/hated it last year -- she didn't know how to feel about it, so I'm insisting she try it again)
-2:40 FP+ 7DMT (first time!)
-5:15 ADR Whispering Canyon at WL
-7:30 FP+ Haunted Mansion
-8:00 MSEP
-9:00 Wishes
-9:30 EWP

Sunday, January 25 - AK
-10:45 Flights of Wonder
-11:00 FP+ Expedition Everest
-12:40 Killimanjaro Safari
-2:30 FoLK (our first time in the new theatre!)
-5:20 ADR Sanaa (very excited to give this place a try)

Monday, January 26 - Epcot Day 2
-10:15 FP+ Soarin
-12:00 FP+ (#2) Spaceship Earth
-1:35 FP+ Mission: SPACE
-6:25 ADR Cape May
-9:00 IllumiNations

Tuesday, January 27 - MK Day 2
-12:55 FP+ Jungle Cruise
-2:00 FP+ Pirates
-3:35 FP+ (#2) 7DMT
-6:05 ADR Narcoossee's
-8:00 Wishes

Wednesday, January 28 - Potential DHS or AK Day #2 (or resort relax/DTD?)
-9:20am ADR Kona breakfast

Thursday, January 29 - Heading home :(
-DTD and/or resort exploration
-DME to MCO around 6pm
-Flight back to Halifax for me, while the parents stay in Florida for a few days to visit friends.

I'm already dreading the thought of the last day!!!
I look forward to following your report and already added you on Twitter. You're so lucky to go frequently. I went this year and have no idea when I'll be back :bawling::cry: but I'll live vicariously through trip reports!!

officialtom

Original Poster
Quick ADR update. We have 8 days of credits, but only made 7 ADRs so we can use two at Narcoossee's for one real fancy meal. But...

We goofed with the number of dining credits required for Fulton's (didn't know it was 2 credits on the regular dining plan) so we swapped it for Hollywood & Vine. Another one we've never been to. Hope it's good!

DisneyKiwi

Quick ADR update. We have 8 days of credits, but only made 7 ADRs so we can use two at Narcoossee's for one real fancy meal. But...

We goofed with the number of dining credits required for Fulton's (didn't know it was 2 credits on the regular dining plan) so we swapped it for Hollywood & Vine. Another one we've never been to. Hope it's good!

I made a few goofs with my ADRs too. Since I'm staying 15 nights but only have park tickets for 10 days I had to shift things around so the days I was planning to spend outside the world had me eating at a resort or DTD and not in a park else I'd need more park tickets just to get in to eat. So also due to not being in the parks 5 days I'm probably going to end up with an extra 5 QS and Snack credits.

officialtom

Original Poster
Another ADR update. I just read @1DisneyDad's post about Hoop-Dee-Doo. HOW have I/we never heard of it?! I quickly googled and discovered that it has incredible TripAdvisor reviews, and the DDP (2 credits) is accepted! And, as luck would have it, there was availability on Jan 27th at 6:15. We had an ADR for Narcoossee's at 6:05, which I promptly cancelled to snag three seats for our first ever Hoop-Dee-Doo experience. We'll be at MK all day, so we'll hop on the boat to FW and, apparently, have a hootin 'n hollerin' time and a fine country meal. Cannot wait!

officialtom

Original Poster
Woke up to a terrifyingly chilly -31C (-24F). Just 15 more days til some Florida sun...

On another note, I've been reading The Hidden Magic of WDW by Susan Veness (2009). I'm really liking it besides it being a bit dated. If she ever releases a new version, I would highly recommend it for anyone heading for their 5th trip or 50th. It's more than just secrets - it tells a moving story of each park and provides a concise but informative timeline of their development from concept to 2009, and Walt's vision is central to her discussion.

Doc Disney

Woke up to a terrifyingly chilly -31C (-24F). Just 15 more days til some Florida sun...

On another note, I've been reading The Hidden Magic of WDW by Susan Veness (2009). I'm really liking it besides it being a bit dated. If she ever releases a new version, I would highly recommend it for anyone heading for their 5th trip or 50th. It's more than just secrets - it tells a moving story of each park and provides a concise but informative timeline of their development from concept to 2009, and Walt's vision is central to her discussion.

I'm reading that book too! It is great; definitely outdated, especially the Toontown section but still a fun read! Her trivia book is great too.

officialtom

Original Poster
I just saw a post on the portorleans.org forums about not only making special room requests for Magnolia Bend, but also for a Royal Guest Room. I know it's a long shot that they would upgrade us to a royal room for free, but I don't think it can hurt to ask since we're going during a particularly quiet season. Even if we don't get a royal room, we'll hopefully end up in Magnolia Bend, which is the most important!

Has anyone else had luck with this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom