A January One-Day Jaunt to Epcot (with my 14 year old nephew)

My nephew came to visit for the long MLK weekend, and we decided to take advantage of the Florida Resident 3-park deal and go to Epcot for a day.

After some helpful advice on this thread about what is of interest to a 14 year old in the parks, we made our choice to go to Epcot because "it has like Mexico and London and countries and stuff." (quoting his text message)

We left the house in Melbourne around 9:30 a.m. with intent to stop at Chick-Fil-A for a delicious breakfast. Alas, it was a SUNDAY, so they were closed. Crap. Golden Arches (McD's) by default.

Epcot opened for the day at 9, and World Showcase at 11; we arrived around 10:30 or so.
It wasn't too crowded yet.

Here's a photo I bet you've never seen before!

Isaac Epcot trip by GatorAsh11, on Flickr

We're here!

We headed straight to Soarin' to grab Fastpasses (which were good for 4:30-5:30 that evening!), and passed through Innoventions. Isaac couldn't resist laying on this oh-so-cozy looking bed.

After getting Soarin' FP's, we hit up one of my 'secret' (not a secret at all, just never very crowded) bathrooms. You know, the one in the hallway between Fountainview and the Character Meet? Well, here's a blurry picture in case you don't.

Isaac Epcot Trip by GatorAsh11, on Flickr

Why blurry? There was a massive foreign tour group just about to walk in front of us- it was now or never to snap a pic! These tour groups would continue to plague us throughout the day. As a local, we love to visit the parks in January and February. Somehow, I always forget about the tour groups that descend on the World at this time too.

Since we were right next to Club Cool, we stopped in to have some soda. Of course, we tasted every one. Even Beverly. I dared Isaac to drink a whole cup full; he's usually not one to pass up a dare, but he wasn't going for this one. Smart lad. :)

Leaving there, we stopped to smell the flowers (er, take a picture of them) and get a photo in front of SE.

We decided to get one of the Agent P's World Showcase Adventure phones. I've never done it, and Isaac had done it back when it was KimPossible. We figured it would be a fun way to enhance our walk around World Showcase. When we picked up our phone, we were informed that it had changed a bit from the KP days; you now had 30 minutes to complete the mission?!Doesn't seem accurate- you'd have to literally run around WS! We figured we'd give it a go and could always drop it off somewhere along the way if we lost interest.

We started our Adventure in Mexico- Isaac manned the phone. The recording was SO LOUD- jarring, almost. We felt like we were bothering those around us with the screeching voices of P & F coming from our fake phone. We were both laughing and trying to muffle the sound.

While walking to Mexico, I took a picture of the Tower of Terror/Morocco buildings. I've been here SO MANY times and have honestly never known or noticed that TOT was there!

Our first clue took us into the Mexican pavilion to find out 'what is hanging about the Gran Fiesta Tour sign.' Don't want to know? Don't look at the picture.

Spoiler alert- it's a bell.

La Cava Del Tequila was still closed; I needed to take photo evidence to use in a different TR (see here.) But never fear, 11 a.m. or not, I'd be back!

We decided to ride GFT while we were there. It was our first of many rides where we were seated in the front row. Random.

After that, Auntie needed to have a little drinksie. I mean, I was at Epcot. In World Showcase. In Mexico! Don't judge.

I ordered the $5 Twitter special- a shot of some kind of Silver Tequila. Teach 'em young, I say.

We were both feeling festive by then and stopped to try on some sombreros. Good thing Isaac doesn't know about WDWMagic 'cause I don't think he'd love seeing these. Muah ha ha ha.

I'm the one who had the tequila??!!!

We left Mexico and looked for the dropbox for our obnoxiously loud Agent P phone. Done with that! As we left, we saw the Don dressed in his fiesta garb. There were only three other families in line, so we jumped in. Thanks goodness we did, because who do you think got in line right after us? If you said a very large tour group, you're right!

Damn sorority arm-pose!

Picture with Donald complete, we headed to Norway.
Obligatory photo of the grass roof.

Non-obligatory photo of the guide dog 'restroom.'

I got a Voss water from the kiosk at the entrance of Norway- Isaac thought the bottle was cool. He asked what made it 'Norway' water- I speculated that maybe it turned you into a viking with each sip- sprouting a red beard, growling. He really ran with this. He'd take a sip and go into 'Viking mode.'

We headed into the shops of Norway and plowed through the thick cloud of perfume- we wanted to find a hat, and I wanted to show him the $400 sweaters in the back. He found a hat and a prop, sipped his Viking water, and got into character for his photo.

I should tell you that Isaac isn't much into 'big' rides- drops, spins, rollercoasters and the like. Nope, not him. Takes after my brother like that (who would only ride a carousel after his friend promised to buy him lunch once). I asked him if he was interested in riding Maelstrom, and he was game. Again, we got front row.

He handled the ride pretty well, the going backwards part didn't thrill him, but other than that, he was fine. We bolted through the Norway movie and headed back out into WS.

Next stop, China. And a fantastic blackmail picture for Isaac's senior yearbook or wedding day. :)

erstwo

What a great time! You must be the fun, young aunt! My mom was the oldest of 6 and her youngest sister was 13 years younger, so I had a fun, young aunt growing up too - I adored her and thought she was the coolest. Alas, I'm the oldest too, so I'll always be the old, boring aunt. ;)

Looks like fun so far - sorry about the Chick Fil A being closed - it seems like I always want CFA on a Sunday!

GatorAsh

Original Poster
What a great time! You must be the fun, young aunt! My mom was the oldest of 6 and her youngest sister was 13 years younger, so I had a fun, young aunt growing up too - I adored her and thought she was the coolest. Alas, I'm the oldest too, so I'll always be the old, boring aunt. ;)

Looks like fun so far - sorry about the Chick Fil A being closed - it seems like I always want CFA on a Sunday!
Ha, the fun Aunt. I hope he thinks so! I have three older brothers, so I get to reap the rewards of enjoying THEIR children before having my own (and no pressure from our parents for me to have kids anytime soon!)
And what is the deal with Chick-Fil-A? Isaac and I were joking that they must sprinkle something in the food that makes you crave it on Sundays...
Thanks for reading!

GatorAsh

Original Poster
Did you say 14? Are you sure? Where do they grow them that big? :)

Glad you had a great time...what a great bonding day.
Seriously, WHAT is with kids these days? I teach in an elementary school and the 6th graders are taller than me! Must be the same thing they sprinkle in the Chick-Fil-A (see above...) ;)
And I love the boy, I really do, but that 'mustache' of his has got to go! I just don't have the heart to tell him!!

GatorAsh

Original Poster
Thanks for the photos. Especially liked this one. As a dog trainer, and Ex Guide dog trainer, it stood out to me. Glad to see Disney being accommodating for them, hope the dogs are able to locate their "rest rooms" easily on the Disney map... :)
How cool that you're a trainer! I've never seen a guide dog in the parks, and can't recall seeing another 'doggy spot' in the parks, but will keep my eye out from now on. Some people take photos of garbage cans, some of light posts and more in the parks... I'll do the dog bathrooms!
Thanks for reading!

GatorAsh

Original Poster
Oh hello, where've you been?! Oh, I'M supposed to write this TR?? Ooops! Well, here ya go!
So we left off promising a choice picture of Isaac, and without further ado...

We're in China now! Behold...

Look at all the pretty colors!
We meandered around a bit and looked in the museum, which I'd never been in before. From there, we headed into the random no-man's land known as 'African Outpost!' Of course, we played the drums (well, I did. Geez Aunt Ashley, you're so embarrassing!) and stopped at the snack counter for a fruit bowl. On to Germany! We strolled through Karamell-Kuche and inhaled deeply, then went into the Christmas shop and cuckoo clock shop. Isaac was amazed with the gigantic beer steins (and the prices of said beer steins), and I picked up this cute shirt:

url by GatorAsh11, on Flickr
I should carry a Sharpie and check off each food and drink when I have them!

I also picked up with cute pic of my inappropriate nephew:

Beer goggles

From there we hopped a boat back up to Future World and went on Spaceship Earth.
Insert blurry ride photo here:

As you probably know, SE dumps you out into a 14 year old boys dream (no, not the Swimsuit Issue of SI)- a digital, video game laden room o' fun!

The family that games together, stays together.
We tried out all of the games until our rumbling stomachs convinced us to find lunch, so we headed into the Land pavilion for Sunshine Seasons.
Isaac thought the mac n' cheese looked good, and once I saw it, I thought the same thing! The server convinced him to go for the Kid's meal so he could get two sides and a drink; I did the same AND this little piggy got a delicious tuna pita kit.

It was fresh, filling and yummy! I also loved that the veggies came from Livin' With the Land. They tasted Disney-licious!
After our grub, we had to ride LWTL so I could see origins of my lunch. I LOVE this ride and plan to take the Behind the Seeds tour with my boyfriend Phil when we go in February.

Not-so-hidden Mickey.

Seriously, let me loose in there with a fork and a salt shaker. Bliss!
After the Land, we did Journey to Imagination and Isaac had to hit up the loo. Evening was falling- I love living in Florida on days like these. Here it is January and we're in flip flops. AND in Disney! Life is good.

Heading toward World Showcase, there were some screens and plant walls up in preparation for this:

I was so excited to see them getting ready for the Flower and Garden Festival! Can't wait to see what more they've done when we're there the end of February.
By now, old Auntie dear needed herself a pick-me-up, so we stopped at the coffee cart in between Canada and the UK. While there, I saw this on the menu:

Tea Breeze- tea and frozen lemonade topped with vodka
A spiked Arnold Palmer! I've never noticed that before! Is it new? Anyone ever tried one? Putting that on my 'must-do' list.
I got a coffee and Isaac got a hot chocolate, and we split a sprinkled sugar cookie. It was kind of hard and crumbly, so I suggested we sit down so we would dunk it in our drinks to soften it up. We sat on the curb by the phone booths in the UK and called them, much to the amusement of Isaac. Want to know the numbers? See this thread.
We must've made it all the way to Japan without any pictures, because they next ones I have are from inside Mitsukoshi. Speaking of flip flops, I can't believe I'm admitting this, but yes, I DO own a pair (okay, two) of 'flip-flop socks.' They're like mittens for your feet. I've only found them in surf shops, so you can imagine my surprise to see an extensive collection here.

I especially like the 'business casual' look- nothing says success like a nice suit and flip flops.
Then we found these!!

I was tippling around on them when a sweet CM told me they are used by monks to climb up mountains to the temples! Wha?!
After a few more photos and buying some Hi-Chews, we went into the American pavilion. Isaac had the genius idea of displaying all the MLK versions of these in honor of the holiday weekend:

We were both starting to wind down, so we headed to Italy to look around and decided to call it a day.

Goodnight, moon. Er, buonanotte, luna.
We doubled back and made the long walk back to the car. Isaac slept the whole way home (twerp) and stumbled straight back to bed when we got home at 10:30. Guess it's true of kids of any age, a Disney day will wear you out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom