A good WDW book to read?

draybook

Original Poster
Can anyone give me a good suggestion for a WDW book to read? I don't want a book that's nothing but text, but I also don't want a picture book. I'd really love a book that explores the history of the parks and may contain little known facts.

Fox&Hound

Can anyone give me a good suggestion for a WDW book to read? I don't want a book that's nothing but text, but I also don't want a picture book. I'd really love a book that explores the history of the parks and may contain little known facts.

It is all text (without pictures) but for a great anecdotal read check out "The Vault of Walt" by Jim Korkis. Fun little stories you may not have heard about Walt Disney, his films, or his parks. He really knows his stuff and it makes for an interesting read and fun trivia =) I highly recommend.

AttorneyinSC

RealityLand is excellent. It's about the history and how WDW came to be. Of lesser interest was Project Future. It had much the same information but in a more scholarly (and less enjoyable) format. The "Earns her Ears" series is enjoyable as well. I also liked The Ride Delegate.

Figments Friend

Not sure if anyone here has read Marty Sklar's book that came out last year? I have been meaning to but just haven't gotten the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Do-Half-Century-Creating-Disney’s/dp/1423174062/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407867261&sr=1-1&keywords="Marty+Sklar"

I have. It is a excellent read packed full of interesting stories as only Marty can tell them.
Recommended for anyone with a interest in the backstories involved in creating Disneyland, and EPCOT Center.
Includes some photos, as well.

Figments Friend

-

One of the best WDW related books ever done, exspecially if you are a long time fan of EPCOT Center -

'EPCOT Center - Creating the New World of Tomorrow'
by Richard Beard.

There are several versions ( three, i believe ) and the earlier pre-Park opening editions are better.

A photo of one of those earlier covers -

Absolutely love this book. Have had my copy since it was first printed.

Spectacular insights, amazing you-are-there-building-it-with WED type of photos, and some stunning insights into the intense thought processes and overall massive effort Disney put into making this unique ( and sorely missed ) Park !

Not only that, the earlier pressings give you insights into things that ended up not coming to the Park after all.
Stuff like the original plan for having King Neptune host the film and ride portions of 'The Living Seas', and the multi-media Show hosted by two children and a crane that was being planned for Japan.

It also covers the World Showcase country 'Africa' which was not built.
Well worth seeking out a edition of this book !

Lsumatt72

-

One of the best WDW related books ever done, exspecially if you are a long time fan of EPCOT Center -

'EPCOT Center - Creating the New World of Tomorrow'
by Richard Beard.

There are several versions ( three, i believe ) and the earlier pre-Park opening editions are better.

A photo of one of those earlier covers -

Absolutely love this book. Have had my copy since it was first printed.

Spectacular insights, amazing you-are-there-building-it-with WED type of photos, and some stunning insights into the intense thought processes and overall massive effort Disney put into making this unique ( and sorely missed ) Park !

Not only that, the earlier pressings give you insights into things that ended up not coming to the Park after all.
Stuff like the original plan for having King Neptune host the film and ride portions of 'The Living Seas', and the multi-media Show hosted by two children and a crane that was being planned for Japan.

It also covers the World Showcase country 'Africa' which was not built.
Well worth seeking out a edition of this book !
Just received this book for my bday. Can't wait to dive in!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom