'A Frozen Holiday Wish' to begin November 5

mm52200

Little Mermaid has existed for over 20 years. Everything you listed was not added within the span of a year, but piecemeal over time. The ride wasn't even DESIGNED until the film neared its 20th anniversary. The reason people feel like Frozen is being overdone is because all of these changes are coming on fast and strong. The film hasn't even been out in the public eye for a year and in that short span of time we've gotten a meet and greet, a parade float, a merchandise area/stage show, a seasonal castle show and an announcement of a classic Epcot attraction being rethemed to the film.
Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage opened the day the film came out, Lion King had a whole parade (not an 1/8 of a float like Frozen does) when it came out, Mulan had a parade, Finding Nemo received multiple rides pretty quickly, Toy Story received BLSRR only about 3 years after it came out which will probably be the same timeline as Frozen's ride haha. Countless other examples are out there. Frozen is just happening in an age of social media where everyone has a place to go complain about it.

BigThunderMatt

Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage opened the day the film came out

And until Enchanted Tales with Belle opened 21 years later it was the only attraction to its name.

Lion King had a whole parade (not an 1/8 of a float like Frozen does) when it came out

At Disneyland. It had the Legend of the Lion King show at Magic Kingdom. And when DAK opened 4 years after the film was released they got FotLK. I don't think anyone here would argue that Lion King was a fantastic film deserving of a few theme park nods.

Mulan had a parade

So did Hercules. And Toy Story. And Aladdin. This was a time when it was commonplace for the film of the year (back when Disney had a hit film year after year) to get some kind of temporary attraction or entertainment piece. Pocahontas had a stage show that lasted a year. Hunchback had one that was amazing and lasted quite a bit longer.

Finding Nemo received multiple rides pretty quickly

Finding Nemo came out in what? 2003? I think Seas opened in late 2006. Subs didn't open until a little after that. And then the Musical opened a little while later (and that's one of those love it or hate it things).

Toy Story received BLSRR only about 3 years after it came out

And Midway Mania opened 13 years after the film.

Yes, all of these attractions and offerings were based on films. But the key point in all of them is that they all got maybe 1 - 2 implementations within the parks. They did not get shoved down people's throats at every turn in less than 12 months from the film's release. That is what is different here.

TeriofTerror

If I had one wish that I could wish this holiday season, it would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace.
If I had two wishes that I could wish for this holiday season, the first would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing in the spirit of harmony and peace... and the second would be for "Frozen" to go the way of the dodo.

JWG

No more than 6 months ago people on this very board said Disney was insane for not having Frozen in the parks yet. And OMG how did they not plan for this?

Now Disney is following through and people are complaining. Some people don't know what they want.
Or...
...some people just like to complain no matter what
...no matter what Disney does, they can't please all (different complainers then and now)
...I thought the internet was made for complain'in

BigThunderMatt

No more than 6 months ago people on this very board said Disney was insane for not having Frozen in the parks yet. And OMG how did they not plan for this?

Now Disney is following through and people are complaining. Some people don't know what they want.

I think it's more the method of implementation than the fact it's being implemented.

Sped2424

Little Mermaid has existed for over 20 years. Everything you listed was not added within the span of a year, but piecemeal over time. The ride wasn't even DESIGNED until the film neared its 20th anniversary. The reason people feel like Frozen is being overdone is because all of these changes are coming on fast and strong. The film hasn't even been out in the public eye for a year and in that short span of time we've gotten a meet and greet, a parade float, a merchandise area/stage show, a seasonal castle show and an announcement of a classic Epcot attraction being rethemed to the film.
Incorrect. The current ride we have know is nothing more than a watered down version with some different scene choices that Tony Baxter wanted to do. He had a plan for this big ride to go over in Disneyland paris but when the park hit hard financial times in the 90's so did the fantasyland expansion there.
al082807k.jpg

LMVehicle.jpg

The video shown with the DVD is a digital realization of what he had drafted up to go there. There were also plans for a beauty and the beast like tiki room attraction. Where guests would watch an entire animatronic show going on in the center
beautyandthebeastride1.jpeg

This was around the same time as mermaid. So the reason why these franchises weren't put into the parks as attractions was not a wait and see situation, it was a purely financial one along with some other stuff. Frozen deserves an attraction, not maelstrom, but definitly a real ride. If rumors hold out to be true thankfully Tokyo will be the one to get it. Also in the 90's you would have meet and greets, full parades dedicated to the film, and other tie in's right before a Disney Animated release. The only thing that has changed since then and now is the loss of faith in Disney Animations by the company at large. Take a look
Aladdin+Parade.JPG

What they are doing for frozen is really just giving it the same treatment that most of their feature films got during the renaissance.

Matt_Black

They're jumping on the "I hate Frozen bandwagon." All the cool kids hate Frozen, so they're doing it too.

And I, for one, am proud to consider myself a "FroBro".

lebeau

Again, this is all my opinion...feel free to quote me and criticize my personal tastes and judgement for all others to see...I'm a Disney fan over all, but I don't feel the need to jump on every last bandwagon with the rest of the sheep...

...and while I'm at it...since I'm such a chipper little man...I'll pour some ketchup on my arm so you can bite me... go back and jump on the sheeply band wagon...you want well composed-criticism...forget about it...

hqdefault.jpg

($.02)

Dude, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm not going to attack you for voicing your opinion. Like Frozen or hate it, I don't care. But if you are going to offer your opinion, back it up. "Such and such sucks" is the most worthless comment ever. It brings nothing to the table.

I can even handle "I didn't like it." Fine. Opinion noted. It would be nice to have some kind of explanation of what you didn't like. And a good criticism would acknowledge both the strengths and weaknesses of the movie. But I can handle a straight statement of a negative opinion.

"Such and such sucks" however is not a statement of opinion. It is an assertion that the subject has no redeeming value. Not as a matter of opinion but objectively "it sucks". The implication is that anyone who does not share that opinion is wrong. They like something that sucks. Perhaps they suck too.

It's lazy. So, yeah, I'm going to take a shot at the "it sucks" crowd. I think they suck.

It's also irritating when someone suggests that any differing opinion is the result of being a sheep or hopping on some kind of bandwagon. People with independent thought are perfectly capable of forming an opinion different from yours.

You don't get to hide behind the "just my opinion" defense while taking shots at anyone who holds a counter opinion.

DisneyWorld30th

Will this be the first time we are seeing Olaf as a real character? I think the parade at MK is not real and Hollywood Studios show he is on a virtual screen.

FigmentsFangirl

Someone BETTER be making a HD video of the entire show from several angles {including up and as close as possible} to put on youtube so I can see it. I'd go in person, but my mom flat out refuses to travel during winter :banghead:

disney4life2008

I am sorry buy I just can not stand behind this. It makes no sense that Elsa is transforming Cinderella's castle into ice. I can appreciate the frozen love but this is really ridiculous. I will keep an open mind though - I will see it in 2 weeks.

JWG

All I can say is "boo to you!"

Oops, wrong hard ticket event.

That one is far superior to the other one. MNSSHP > MVMCP by an easy mile. And that's having done MNSSHP this year after they introduced the dumb Villain Soiree (which we did not do). The parade is better, the fireworks are better, trick or treating is far better than cookies and cocoa, and people watching is WAYYYY better. We saw cast members trying to get pictures with a guest dressed as Ursula all night. She looked fabulous! Could have done a meet and greet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom