A few questions regarding buying direct vs resale

Jess G

Original Poster
Hey guys :) hubby and I decided (not right yet) but within the next 6-8 months we will be purchasing DVC. It is so hard nowadays to get solid info from the internet about DVC... I've done the tour twice and I know it's for me. Looking at about a $10,000 difference here, so these are my questions ...

1) If I purchase resale can I still purchase TIW?

2) I understand if I purchase resale I won't get into after hours events or events exclusive to DVC ... How often do these types of events happen?

3) Is it still the same deal where I can book my home resort 11 months out and all the others 7 months out?

4) Does purchasing resale limit where I can go? We do not plan on buying DVC just to see Florida LOL

5) I understand with DVC you get discounts on certain tours and activities.... this is something I'm really interested in, but how great are the savings?

Really trying to weigh out the pros and cons here. All these discounts and special events for DVC sound amazing but I'm just trying to see if they will be saving me the $10,000 I would save elsewhere (resale) between 2017 and 2069 LOL

lostpro9het

I started to answer your questions but then I remembered some sound advice in regards to DVC. DO NOT buy DVC with deals, discounts, and special events as a driving factor. Assume that all these specials can be gone on a whim. Focus on what is static and that is a guaranteed room at Disney during the life of your deal. Probably not the answer you were looking for but I'm certain others will step up.

Last edited:

dreamfinder

1) Not sure (think it needs showing a DVC member card which resale doesn't get anymore), but if you buy an AP (which many DVC owners do) you are entitled to buy TiW because of that as well.
2) Not terribly often, and the cooler ones are relatively new. Maybe a few times a month? But not every month. Although recent management indicated they wanted to do more, and have been trying out lots of things lately. The problem is, they don't usually announce them with enough notice to get a booking, so it's great if you will be there, but not something you can really plan around.
3) Yes.
4) Kinda. You can't trade into AbD or DCL, but you can still use it for RCI.
5) Not that good. Most of them are in line with what AP/Disney Visa offer. 15-20% for most stuff.

As @lostpro9het said, you really shouldn't count on any discounts or benefits. DVD states all over the place that they may be changed/discontinued at any time and shouldn't be used as a factor when buying time share. You really want to buy DVC for the room you get, and the price you get it for and nothing more than that. If you save a few bucks from whatever discount they are offering, that's a plus.

Keep in mind that your 2069 expiration is a bit optimistic. Poly expires in 2066, and other resorts earlier than that. Sure, 10,000 over 50 years is relatively easy to recoup, (2 APs a year for 50 years alone hits the 10k figure) but if they change them, you spent extra money for nothing.

If you really want discounts you can do your initial buy in via resale, and then buy a 25 point contract direct.

Phonedave

Hey guys :) hubby and I decided (not right yet) but within the next 6-8 months we will be purchasing DVC. It is so hard nowadays to get solid info from the internet about DVC... I've done the tour twice and I know it's for me. Looking at about a $10,000 difference here, so these are my questions ...

2) I understand if I purchase resale I won't get into after hours events or events exclusive to DVC ... How often do these types of events happen?

3) Is it still the same deal where I can book my home resort 11 months out and all the others 7 months out?

4) Does purchasing resale limit where I can go? We do not plan on buying DVC just to see Florida LOL

5) I understand with DVC you get discounts on certain tours and activities.... this is something I'm really interested in, but how great are the savings?

Really trying to weigh out the pros and cons here. All these discounts and special events for DVC sound amazing but I'm just trying to see if they will be saving me the $10,000 I would save elsewhere (resale) between 2017 and 2069 LOL

When you purchase a contract - be it resale or direct, the only thing that you are gaurenteed is the ability to use your points at DVC properties as set forth in the contract. I believe that the 11 and 7 month windows are in the contract - I don't have mine handy to check.

Everything else can (and does) change. The ability to putchase TIW is a perk, after hour events and access to them are a perk, using points for cruises, ABD, RCI, Disney Collection, and other such things is a perk, DVC discounts are also a perk.

What that means is they can take away or add these things to both resale and direct contracts as they see fit. You should not go into a purchase decision based on curent perks, because they can and do change.

Now, as to the general essence of your question.

1) If I purchase resale can I still purchase TIW? - At this point in time, yes (edit, maybe not - I dont think it was explicitly stated you could not do it, but as mentioned above, you dont get a member card with a resale). However, I bought AP's without a member card (I left it in the room) by signing into the DVC member website on my phone and showing the CM my member number. I don't know if you could do the same for TiW)

2) I understand if I purchase resale I won't get into after hours events or events exclusive to DVC ... How often do these types of events happen? - I believe you can get into some, but not all. I know that's not a great answer, but I belive that things like DVC night at Splitsville, are open to any DVC owner.

3) Is it still the same deal where I can book my home resort 11 months out and all the others 7 months out? - Yes, and as I said, I believe this is contractural.

4) Does purchasing resale limit where I can go? We do not plan on buying DVC just to see Florida LOL - You cannot use resale points for cruises, ABD, or Disney Collection (non-DVC properties at WDW - such as Pop Century or Port Orleans for example). This is a horrible use of points by the way, and you would be much better off renting out your points and using the cash. Resale points can be used for timeshare weeks (as of now)

5) I understand with DVC you get discounts on certain tours and activities.... this is something I'm really interested in, but how great are the savings? - 10 to 20 percent on some most things that have a discount. It helps,. but it is not really a super bonus in my opinon. You get it on some dining, some merch, and some tours and activities. I guess if you do those a lot, it can add up.

Really trying to weigh out the pros and cons here. All these discounts and special events for DVC sound amazing but I'm just trying to see if they will be saving me the $10,000 I would save elsewhere (resale) between 2017 and 2069 LOL - Honestly, no. The differences between resale and direct at this point in time are not going to save you a whole bunch of money. OF course, as I said, perks are not written in stone, and they can remove (or add) them at will.

-dave

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

In checking the DVC website, the ability to purchase the TiW is part of the "Membership Extras" which are NOT available if you purchase resale. The DVC site states that you must show your membership ID card when purchasing the TiW, and as a resale only purchaser, you do not receive a membership card. Sorry.

As has been stated - never purchase DVC thinking that you will get good discounts on dining/APs/merch etc. Only look at it as a way to save on your resort hotel room. That, and nothing else. If the discounts are important to you, then after your resale purchase, buy a small 25 point add-on direct from Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom