A day of broken rides at WDW

Phonedave

Original Poster
We not really broken, but what are the chances of this happening?

We arrive at MK last Thursday and go directly to Haunted Mansion

Ride Haunted Manston, and sit in the graveyard for 10 minutes before the ride restarts.
Head over to People Mover, about to get on the ramp up, and are told it is down.
Decide to kill time on CoP, sit through the first scene 4 times before getting walked off.
Successfully ride the People Mover
Successfully ride CoP
Head over to Buzz Lightyear, where the ride stops for 10 minutes with us just before the tunnel.
Eat an uneventuful lunch
Get on Pirates, and sit for ten minutes in front of the jail scene as the ride goes down.
Get on 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and sit for 10 minutes after the final drop as there are problems at unload.
Ride Splash Mountain - and afterwards we all say "wait, did that ride work all the way through"
Head back to the resort to eat.
Get on the bus to go to MK for the last two hours of the park - and watch our jaws drop as the bus stalls out. (It did start right back up)
Somehow rode Jungle Cruise and Pirates again without incident.

Not complaining, and we had a load of fun, but for a while there we thought we were cursed as just about everyting we went on had some sort of problem.

-dave

mousehockey37

Sounds more like you had people that needed transferred or something and they had to just stop the ride. Sure, there may have been legit problems too, but we've noticed that sometimes you can tend to follow others around the park and not know it....

I'd imagine some was breakdowns (the bus), some was disabled people, and some was just dumb luck.

BigRedDad

It sounds like you followed a group of people in ECVs and/or wheelchairs. I wish all rides had a separate load zone like TSMM for people with disabilities. This way they just slide the vehicle in order from the side instead of stopping the entire ride.

I did run into another family we talked with at our resort (Orange Lake) that had a similar experience. They happened to get on every breakdown one day. The longest was over an hour on Splash. Where they were, cast could not get to them and there was no exit. They had to wait until they could manually get enough space to get their log to move forward 50 feet where they could exit.

Smiley/OCD

Ride Haunted Manston, and sit in the graveyard for 10 minutes before the ride restarts.
Head over to People Mover, about to get on the ramp up, and are told it is down.
Decide to kill time on CoP, sit through the first scene 4 times before getting walked off.
Successfully ride CoP
Head over to Buzz Lightyear, where the ride stops for 10 minutes with us just before the tunnel.
Eat an uneventuful lunch
Get on Pirates, and sit for ten minutes in front of the jail scene as the ride goes down.
Get on 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and sit for 10 minutes after the final drop as there are problems at unload.
Ride Splash Mountain - and afterwards we all say "wait, did that ride work all the way through"
Get on the bus to go to MK for the last two hours of the park - and watch our jaws drop as the bus stalls out. (It did start right back up)

Not complaining, and we had a load of fun, but for a while there we thought we were cursed as just about everyting we went on had some sort of problem.

-dave
Moral of the story...don't wear Greg Brady's tiki to Disney!!! LOL

Smiley/OCD

Dave: We're also from NJ (Toms River) and going the week of Election Day this year...At least we don't fly out of the same airport!!! (ACY) LOL

jaklgreen

It sounds like you followed a group of people in ECVs and/or wheelchairs. I wish all rides had a separate load zone like TSMM for people with disabilities. This way they just slide the vehicle in order from the side instead of stopping the entire ride.

I did run into another family we talked with at our resort (Orange Lake) that had a similar experience. They happened to get on every breakdown one day. The longest was over an hour on Splash. Where they were, cast could not get to them and there was no exit. They had to wait until they could manually get enough space to get their log to move forward 50 feet where they could exit.

This is what I was thinking, that they had to stop and load. I have noticed this happening more and more over the years. 10+ years ago we would go through a 8-9 day trip and never get stopped on a ride. Now, it happens all the time.

TheOrangeBird01

Successfully ride CoP
Eat an uneventuful lunch

-dave

The thing that surprises me the most is that you were able to successfully ride the CoP. That thing restarts a minimum of two times whenever I ride it. :D

Sonconato

As a person who goes every Saturday, I can say that this happens more and more frequently. Yesterday, we only experienced the Pirates of the Caribbean down. Sorry you experienced so many at once. We've had those days, too.

rob0519

Yeah, those disabled people ruin everyone's fun. Maybe Disney should have a two hour period a the start of the day where only ECV/Wheel Chair users and their family get to use the parks before anyone else so as to not screw up attraction boarding. ;) (as close to a sarcasm emogi as I could find).

BigRedDad

Yeah, those disabled people ruin everyone's fun. Maybe Disney should have a two hour period a the start of the day where only ECV/Wheel Chair users and their family get to use the parks before anyone else so as to not screw up attraction boarding. ;) (as close to a sarcasm emogi as I could find).
It had nothing to do with them not enjoying a ride. It is more about having an easier way for them to load in and not disrupt a ride for so long. TSMM has a perfect system. They load in a much easier access area. Once loaded, the ride vehicle is integrated into the ride system. This way they are not felt rushed getting on or off.

JIMINYCR

Wait.... did you by any chance encounter this guy before you went to Disney?

raw

I've had a ride or two go down in one day but never had your bad luck.

Minnesota disney fan

Successfully ride CoP
Eat an uneventuful lunch

-dave

You are Not going next February, are you???????

wdwfan4ver

Successfully ride CoP
Eat an uneventuful lunch

-dave
I've had similar experiences at MK before. I think some of this is caused by EVC. Your unloading comment for mine train is likely dealing with a disabled person. The buzz Lighteryear issue is EVC and is the same with Haunt Mansion. I had to deal with that more than Once on those two rides. I had with EVC with Jungle Cruise before also. Personal I like to wait on Buzz as a way make more score higher than it supposed to be.

COP is a different thing because I've had something similar happen years ago and it was stick over 15 minutes. What happened to peoplemover for you is just plain bad luck. I've ran into rides in the past that weren't supposed to be under refurbishment, but were down like POTC was a few years ago.

TheOrangeBird01

I know COP has a reputation for restarting often, but I cannot recall that ever happening while I rode it. I ride it at least once every trip! Huh. o_O

You haven't lived until you've been on a CoP breakdown. My spin on the carousel isn't complete without one! ;)

In all seriousness though, it's annoying the first time it happens but after witnessing it happen a couple times, it just makes the experience better.

anchorman314

TSMM has a perfect system. They load in a much easier access area. Once loaded, the ride vehicle is integrated into the ride system. This way they are not felt rushed getting on or off.
Having experienced the alternative loading at TSMM, I feel confident in saying it is far from a perfect system. Sure, all of the reasons you mention are indeed true. However, if you time it just "right", the wait can be quite long, on top of the wait in the rest of the line. Since there are only one or two accessible ride vehicles, you have to wait for a vehicle to make an entire trip through the ride. And if there are a few parties ahead of you, forget it. I would prefer a system where anyone who is able to transfer can go through the regular line, and only those guests needing to remain in their wheelchair/ECV loading on a side track.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom