A critical look at Epcot

YozhikRoth

Original Poster
Was at Disney this week for a conference, and had a chance to head to Epcot for the afternoon. Being without kids let me take me take off my rose colored glasses and take a critical view.
  1. Spaceship Earth-I'm not sure I'd change much more than updating the script and freshen up the effects.
  2. The Seas-is it me, or is the marine life in the tank a bit sparse. I would like to see more live demonstrations.
  3. The Land-should be fine once Soarin' reopens
  4. Imagination-A waste of real estate, Disney needs to take a hard look at what the mission of this attraction is, and how it fits into the Future World vision. To me, this would be a prime opportunity for a whimiscial "thrill" ride.
  5. Innoventions-I'm perfectly fine using this space exclusively for character greetings, retail and food.
  6. Universe of Energy-badly needed reboot, the script is at least 15 years old (Ellen uses a flip phone!).
  7. I am saddened by the Wonders of Life space being reduced to a festival space.
  8. Mission Space needs a bit of a reboot. While the core ride experience is fine, a new script and better visuals is needed.
  9. Test Track-fine.
  10. Generally, I have no issues with the World Showcase, I think it's held it's relevance far better than many areas of WDW, however.
  11. The circle-vision films in Canada and China need to go, I hated them when I was a kid and they haven't aged well. Perhaps film new Imax-type films and show in a sit-down theater.
  12. Offer fastpasses for some character greetings in WS.
  13. Offer sampling packages to encourage guests to try some cuisines that they wouldn't normally consider.

AndyS2992

1. Spaceship Earth: A third of the ride is missing stilll at the end, this needs to be put back in, the ride needs sprucing up and new narration as well as modernisation.
  2. The Seas: Indeed it is lacking a lot of marine life and needs more to see and do, though with animal rights groups complaining, this pavillion will probably be replaced within 30 years.
  3. The Land: Circle of life needs an upgrade or at least changed to Frozen about global warming melting the ice caps and such. Soarin upgrade is a good move. Living with the Land is fine but could have some kind of update too keep it fresh.
  4. Imagination: This whole place needs replacing in to something else with all areas reopened to the public.
  5. Innoventions: Needs to be filled again with exhibits and not just third party, Disney needs to make an effort themselves. Restaurants and shops would be good too.
  6. Universe of Energy: Needs to be ripped out and replaced with the TRON coaster but rethemed to energy instead.. I guess.
  7. Wonders of Life: Needs to reopen with a new theme and new attractions inside.
  8. Mission Space: Needs replacing entirely or just needs a general upgrade and refurb.
  9. Test Track: I prefer the original as it had more substance but is fine for now.
  10. World Showcase: If no more countries are coming then that land needs to be used to add rides to each pavillion; Mt Fuji Coaster in Japan, Boat rides in Germany and Italy, Rethemed Mickey's Fun Wheel in UK (London Eye reference), Rapid water ride in Canada, Ratatouille ride in France, Family friendly dragon coaster in China, move flying carpets from MK to Morocco and so on. All Circlevision films need a serious modern update.

wdwfan22

1. Spaceship Earth - Attraction is fine as is.
  2. The Seas - needs more marine life.
  3. The Land - It would be nice to see Circle of Life updated.
  4. Imagination - Attraction needs either updated or a re-theme.
  5. Innoventions - Discontinue the idea and use the space for character greetings, retail and additional dining.
  6. Universe of Energy - The attraction needs a full re-theme.
  7. Wonders of Life - A new attraction about health would be great.
  8. Mission Space - Attraction is fine as is.
  9. Test Track - Attraction is fine as is.
  10. World Showcase - World Showcase films are fine as is. Would like to see additional attractions added.
My thoughts

Marc Davis Fan

I'm surprised at people's opinions of The Land. I think the main atrium looks like it needs updating. It looks very plain to me. I realize it's not supposed to be an immersive environment, but it could use something more visually stimulating and creative...

Chef Mickey

While I agree they all need a touch of TLC (and done before they add), EPCOT is mainly in need of some brand new experiences. It feels tired and has gotten away from its original message/purpose. Every country besides America needs its "attraction/show" redone. They've needed it for 10 years.

I'm almost excited to see the new Frozen ride just to get something fresh at EPCOT (although I hate removing Maelstrom). Soarin' Over the World will be a welcome update.

For me, Test Track 2.0 was completely flat.

Spaceship Earth - Redo the Ending and go back to the "smarter" narration of before. It needs to be re-recorded.
Test Track 2.0 - I liked the old concept much better because the "testing" of your car gets old after 1 ride and you realize it has no impact on the ride.
Seas - completely redo Nemo. Poor attraction.
Living With The Land - Love it.
Soarin' - Fine, particularly with update.
Ellen - Update, keep the dino/energy concept because it is awesome.
Imagination - redo with Figment and open entire pavilion
World Showcase - Everything updated/new besides American Adventure
Wonders of Life - Some kind of health ride like Body Wars
Theater where Honey I Shrunk Was - Do something creative with it
Mission Space - Love the simulator, needs retheme with new "mission"
Innoventions - No, we don't need more shopping. Actually do something cool/interactive with this area as it used to be.
Odyssey - Do something

Last edited:

montyz81

Was at Disney this week for a conference, and had a chance to head to Epcot for the afternoon. Being without kids let me take me take off my rose colored glasses and take a critical view.
  1. Spaceship Earth-I'm not sure I'd change much more than updating the script and freshen up the effects.
  2. The Seas-is it me, or is the marine life in the tank a bit sparse. I would like to see more live demonstrations.
  3. The Land-should be fine once Soarin' reopens
  4. Imagination-A waste of real estate, Disney needs to take a hard look at what the mission of this attraction is, and how it fits into the Future World vision. To me, this would be a prime opportunity for a whimiscial "thrill" ride.
  5. Innoventions-I'm perfectly fine using this space exclusively for character greetings, retail and food.
  6. Universe of Energy-badly needed reboot, the script is at least 15 years old (Ellen uses a flip phone!).
  7. I am saddened by the Wonders of Life space being reduced to a festival space.
  8. Mission Space needs a bit of a reboot. While the core ride experience is fine, a new script and better visuals is needed.
  9. Test Track-fine.
  10. Generally, I have no issues with the World Showcase, I think it's held it's relevance far better than many areas of WDW, however.
  11. The circle-vision films in Canada and China need to go, I hated them when I was a kid and they haven't aged well. Perhaps film new Imax-type films and show in a sit-down theater.
  12. Offer fastpasses for some character greetings in WS.
  13. Offer sampling packages to encourage guests to try some cuisines that they wouldn't normally consider.
1: Agree for the most part, but needs more AAs (Steve Jobs should at least be typing on the computer so it is consistent with what is on the screen). Paper boy needs to come back to face the audience. Drop should go back to AAs
2. Agree. Really needs more marine life and a better look into the ride. Redo it with a focus on Dory for the upcoming movie.
3. The Land is perfect, don't change a thing
4. Imagination, bring back the rotating table, get the ride back to it's original length, Marry Dreamfinder/Figment with Joy/Sadness
5. Innoventsions... there are so many places out there where people like to showcase new technology. You can see it all over Discovery and History channel. Get them to sponsor both East and West and have them decide who comes into showcase new stuff.
6. UOE needs a gutting to update it with new energy technologies. I love the ride and dinoland, but I think it has prob outlived it's usefulness and Bill Nye has lost all his credibility as a scientist since he suggested that the ideal gas law had nothing to do with deflategate.
7. WOL could be built into something much better. This could be also be sponsored by Inside/Out
8. M:S needs to just go. It is just a vomit-comet. "Y'all are thinking it, I am just saying it" Bring back Horizons or a ride like it. What is left over from Wescot that they could pillage from.
9. Test Track needs to be improved. I am thinking that the regular ride is great, but they could certainly add more AAs to the existing ride. Kind of a melding of TT and WoM. The current story if fantastic in my opinion, but there is so much more to it that they could do. Lots of empty space with neon lights in there.
10 World Showcase should still not include Pixar but can include more rides. Build Mt Fuji and a ride for Germany. Morocco needs something too. I have been in there once and do not have a motivation to go into the country when I walk by. England could use something too as a Beatles cover band is not enough to attract me.

danyoung56

I've eaten at the Coral Reef many times, and I'm sure I've gotten the stink-eye from fish slowly swimming by as I eat their sibling - and they're thinking "Just wait, chubby . . . payback's a bee-yotch!"

brb1006

Why does everyone hate imagination so much?
I really dislike Figment's role in the new version of the attraction he acts way to much like a character from a Looney Tunes or Tax Avery cartoon. He's alot more preachy with using your Imagination. I loved Figment's previous portrayal in the original attraction where he was alot more likable and learned about Imagination from Dreamfinder. Did I mention his original personality was also pretty cute unlike today's Figment who likes messing with the professor.

Last edited:

Adam Snider

I really dislike Figment's role in the new version of the attraction he acts way to much like a character from a Looney Tunes or Tax Avery cartoon. He's alot more preachy with using your Imagination. I loved Figment's previous portrayal in the original attraction where he was alot more likable and learned about Imaginaion from Dreamfinder.
When did they update, i have only seen the updated version???

AndyS2992

Why does everyone hate imagination so much?
Lots of reasons really.

Back when the ride originally opened it was twice the length it is today and was actually considered good. And since then Disney have changed it a few times, and has gotten worse each time and the ride length got cut as stated. And now we have that awful ride we have today. The classic 'Dreamfinder' character was cut and Figment became annoying lol The ride is just bad all round.

Not only that but above Imagination was a big interactive 'play ground' type thing which was closed off and abandoned which people have been bitter about. A similar thing can be found at the end of the ride but on a much smaller scale. There was also a Figment M&G in a room to the side which has also been left abandoned.

Then on top of that Captain EO and Honey I shrunk the audience were left to play well past their welcome which was just cheap and lazy. And now they have both been replaced with a Disney-Pixar short film festival which again was a cheap move especailly so since all the movies playing have already been seen in theaters, on DVD and online. So again, nothing new there.

The whole paviliion is just a complete disaster and a husk of it's former self and needs a huge overhaul.

Adam Snider

Lots of reasons really.

Back when the ride originally opened it was twice the length it is today and was actually considered good. And since then Disney have changed it a few times, and has gotten worse each time and the ride length got cut as stated. And now we have that awful ride we have today. The classic 'Dreamfinder' character was cut and Figment became annoying lol The ride is just bad all round.

Not only that but above Imagination was a big interactive 'play ground' type thing which was closed off and abandoned which people have been bitter about. A similar thing can be found at the end of the ride but on a much smaller scale. There was also a Figment M&G in a room to the side which has also been left abandoned.

Then on top of that Captain EO and Honey I shrunk the audience were left to play well past their welcome which was just cheap and lazy. And now they have both been replaced with a Disney-Pixar short film festival which again was a cheap move especailly so since all the movies playing have already been seen in theaters, on DVD and online. So again, nothing new there.

The whole paviliion is just a complete disaster and a husk of it's former self and needs a huge overhaul.
It sure does sound like it. I have only started going on Disney trips since 2012 so I never got the chance to see any of the older stuff before they redid it. But from what you said I feel bad i did not start going earlier

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom