A big difference I noticed between Disney and Universal

betty rose

Not meant to be a which is better type thread, but just an observation. Universal owns the Fast and Furious series, which has grossed over $3.6 billion. Part 7 alone, in just it's 4th week, is going to pass Frozen on the list of all time biggest movies. Yet while Disney has basically turned WDW into Walt Frozen World, Universal hasn't shoved any F&F attractions down our throat. I'm sure at some point, they will. They'd be kind of crazy not to. But jeez, can you imagine if it was Disney? "It's made a billion dollars worldwide guys....Let's close down a couple classic rides, throw some F&F in there, have a Vin Diesel lookalike meet-n-greet, change Lights Motors Action to a F&F stunt show, change Test Track to a F&F theme, change Indy Speedway to an F&F theme."

The point I'm making is I used to think Universal had gone a bit overboard with the Harry Potter stuff, but there's obviously a time tested product there. Same goes for F&F. The 1st one came out 14 years ago. Disney on the other hand just grabs whatever is hot, gives no thought to the future, and milks the cow for all it's worth. In a kind of backwards way, that's what they're doing with Avatar. It's as if they checked out the top 10 money makers of all time and realized they had their pick of Avatar or Titanic and went with Avatar.
I think the Titanic would have been more fun, a sinking ship ride, a storm ride, and a boat themed restaurant, wait..they already have that in DS.

Ariel Savage

You're talking two vastly different demographics here: F&F is rated PG-13 and might not be something you'd have your little ones watch. Also, what would that attraction look like? If you want to see cars doing stunts, well, Disney already had that..
But what's so wrong with Disney setting up some Frozen decorations and attractions? It's popular, kids like it, so why not? I loved Princess and the Frog and was dissapointed when I didn't see more of that in the park when the movie was released.

xstech25

Universal uses Disney's strategy quite well, have you noticed that like every gift shop and cart at UO is filled with Minions, Harry Potter, and Simpsons?

lazyboy97o

I think the Titanic would have been more fun, a sinking ship ride, a storm ride, and a boat themed restaurant, wait..they already have that in DS.
Titanic: The Experience was an attraction at the short lived Fox Studios Backlot in Sydney. The conceit was that visitors were being cast as extras in the filming of Titanic, and would fill the role of either a First Class or Third Class passenger. The extras would then partake in the "filming" of the sinking with those unfortunate enough to be cast as Third Class passengers ending their experience in total darkness, because they died... It was supposedly an incredibly attraction and was recognized with a Thea Award.

squidward

Original Poster
Universal uses Disney's strategy quite well, have you noticed that like every gift shop and cart at UO is filled with Minions, Harry Potter, and Simpsons?

Minions are pretty new, but the others have been around for years. I'm not saying Disney is wrong in it's thinking. They might as well strike while the iron is hot. What I don't like is the closing of Maelstrom, the closing of Snow White, which was essentially done to make room for an Frozen meet n greet.

tcool

Minions are pretty new, but the others have been around for years. I'm not saying Disney is wrong in it's thinking. They might as well strike while the iron is hot. What I don't like is the closing of Maelstrom, the closing of Snow White, which was essentially done to make room for an Frozen meet n greet.
The Frozen Meet and Greet came after Fairytale Hall. Anna and Elsa's spot was for Rapunzel and Snow White not the visiting royalty of Arrendelle.

squidward

Original Poster
Just sayin'....

In just it's 4th weekend, Furious 7 has surpassed Frozen on the list of all time money makers. By the end of this week, it will surpass Deathly Hallows Part 2 for the #4 spot. Pretty amazing.

Goofyernmost

Count me in as one of the people who don't mind Frozen in the parks.

As for the "It's for little girls!" argument, you do not make over a billion dollars in the box office and have one of the best-selling soundtracks of all time if you only appeal to that demographic. And that's to say nothing of all the fan-generated content inspired by the film. 8-year old girls don't photoshop internet memes, after all, or I would at least hope they don't.
As for myself, I would feel better about it if it was 8 year old girls that were responsible for Photoshopping internet memes. It concerns me a little that adults are into it. But, that's just me.

Goofyernmost

I'm going to show my age or stupidity, what is a meme?
This is a meme (rhymes with dream)
th

tcool

meme -
  1. an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation.
    • a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc. that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users.

Arthur Wellesley

A meme is a (usually comical) picture with text used frequently by those not articulate enough to contribute to the conversation using their own words & wit.

Example: If someone is too lazy or inadequate with creativity to express why they may disapprove of someone's comment...they simply post a face palm meme instead.

It's a way of saying: "Look at me everybody! I can Google funny pictures with captions quicker than you can!"

Hope this helps.

Lucky

A meme is a (usually comical) picture with text used frequently by those not articulate enough to contribute to the conversation using their own words & wit.

Example: If someone is too lazy or inadequate with creativity to express why they may disapprove of someone's comment...they simply post a face palm meme instead.

It's a way of saying: "Look at me everybody! I can Google funny pictures with captions quicker than you can!"

Hope this helps.
image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom