_Scar's Vacation @ the Disney World and Wizarding World

Before I head straight into my trip report I'd like to tell you I had a GREAT time! In fact, this was my favorite vacation I've ever had which I spent with my wonderful family. Although not a cruise or exotic destination to a common Floridian, WDW (& Universal) offer something so magical and special that you forget you're even in the muggle realm. So sit back, relax and enjoy my trip report (;

Saturday- July 31, 2010:

I had stayed up all night prior to this day, an ongoing tradition due to my awful sleep cycle and pure excitement, so this day felt entirely extra long. We left at around 9:30 am and arrivied 1:30-2:30 pm (don't remember specifically).

Alas we arrive in the world and our first stop before check in is to eat a scrumptious burger at Beaches n Cream.

We couldn't believe it when we got there and the head hostess told us we had a 60 minute wait!! We decided to wait it out even though we saw a few families leaving after hearing that wait time. But then, after a good 5 minutes, we get buzzed in and our family is seated. What's up with that! Is this some strategy to help keep from overflowing with guests?

I loved the look of the place and especially its proximity to the pool! Man oh man was Stromalong Bay looking great, but they're really checking you at the gate to make sure you aren't a pool hopper ):

Going into it we thought we'd have the best burger ever, but we weren't impressed at all. In fact, we compared to being like a Five Guys burger joint (filling and more filling). I guess the food was decent enough, but I wouldn't go back without just getting ice cream.

As a side note, I don't get how people can eat a full meal and one of their ice cream desserts! They look so filling! :eek:

Anywho, after our snack and taking a brisk walk through the lobby area (BCV is so tremendously gorgeous), we are now heading to our destination: Saratoga Springs.

Check in was a breeze and we even got what we requested (a Congress Park room)! I was soo excited and had no idea what to expect and for good reason- this was only my second stay in a real Disney resort besides a cabin at FW!

Our room was absolutely wonderful and the view was amazing. I wasn't even expecting a DtD view, but oh did we get it :)

View:
12fixed.jpg

I'd really have to say the biggest benefit of staying at SSR is the proximity to DtD area. It was a 5 minute walk from Congress Park and our room. Plus relazing on the balcony after a long day at the parks hearing the night sounds of DtD was really pure bliss.

Later that day we headed on over to Disney Quest and we stayed here for a good 2-3 hours. We thought it was just 'okay'. We strongly disliked the Aladdin virtual ride which we all had remembered as being pretty cool, and we also loved playing the racing and score games that we used to always avoid doing here (pretty ironic, eh?). I'd say try this place once before judging it, but make sure to go when it isn't busy to make sure you can have the pleasure of trying everything (something we didn't get to do)

We ate at House of Blues, which we also thought was just 'okay'. We originally hadn't planned on eating here, but we found a $25 off coupon on Restaurants dot com so we just went for it. I ordered the peperoni pizza which we all agreed was very tasty, while my parents did not particularly like their meal (can't remember what they ordered though, sorry). Overall, we probably weren't going to be headed back to House of Blues anymore- but it was worth a shot.

Some DtD shots from across the pond at the Congress Park quiet pool area:

2010vacation2245.jpg

2010vacation2249.jpg

2010vacation2248.jpg

DHS day will be posted tomorrow! :wave:

_Scar

Original Poster
Ok, so is someone like me that is scared of Dinosaur going to be scared to my wits end??? I have to know what I'm getting myself into...:lol:

Yes and no. You'll be scared afterwards because the movement is very extreme, but during the ride you will be immersed in the setting so much you'll only be wondering what's next. You'll love it and it's not traditionally scary by any means.

Loving the report!!! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on WWoHP!!! We were just there this past Sunday and LOVED it!!!

Thanks! I can't wait either to write it!

Patiently waiting for WWoHP since I will be there in 16 days! :cool:

It's coming, but it's at the end of my TR! It'll still be posted well before 16 days from now.

I was at WDW the end of June and saw the religious sky writing too! Disney is not the place for that. Everyone stopped what they were doing and just started staring up to see what it said.

Glad someone agrees with me. It's very intruding imo.

Great report Scar, blurry pics & all. I especially love the Kali River Rapids synopsis. :ROFLOL:

Can't wait to read more! Thanks.

Thanks! Glad someone appreciates the KRR analysis :lol: :sohappy:

I will be posting tomorrow starting with Tuesday and marching on closer and closer to the WWoHP review!

disneygirl1

Ok, so is someone like me that is scared of Dinosaur going to be scared to my wits end??? I have to know what I'm getting myself into...:lol:

Maybe a bit... There is one part that scared the crap out of me, but overall Forbidden Journey is amazing! You have to try and get through it with your eyes open! You will be impressed that I promise! :sohappy:

_Scar

Original Poster
Tuesday - August 3, 2010

Today is a water park day. Blizzard Beach to be exact.

It should be told that I absolutely LOVE waking up to Downtown Disney right outside the balcony. It's so relaxing- day or night.

We arrive at Blizzard Beach around 9:30 am and this place is REALLY busy. Probably why we only stayed for around 3-4 hours.

DDD had about a 70 minute wait. No typo there! 70 minutes for a slide that lasts around 10 seconds. So we went around the lazy river and it was a bit :hurl:

Some of the people swimming in that water don't look like they've taken a shower in decades. Usually we don't talk about it because it grosses us out but there were so many people that you couldn't help but notice it!

So, after the go around, we headed to the back slides and those are always awesome! The enclosed slide really lives up to its name of "Space Mountain Slide". It's a very looong slide and there are several dips to get butterflies in your stomach. I recommend doing this over and over again, but maybe not in a row since the climb up to the top is quite exhausting.

After this, we headed on over to Tobaggon Racers. It just doesn't feel as thrilling as it once did and it's over before you know it. :/

Plus they make you feel very rushed and it almost takes the fun out of it.

Last slide of the day was the family raft ride. We always seem to enjoy this because we can ride together, but we're a 3 so we don't get the rafts to ourselves so it's quite a bit awkward haha

After the rafts we were getting a little irritated with the crowds. Really, it was bad. We grabbed a quick snow cone along the way back to get our stuff. I got a watermelon and strawberry mix flavored snow cone, but Epcot's Japan shaved ices are still the most flavorful IMO

Also, you can get really awesome funnel cakes @ Blizzard Beach! I usually always get one, but not this time. ):

Here's some pointers for some of you who may not be familiar with Blizzard Beach:

1. You'll want to bring your camera if you can! The views here are stunning- especially from the queues of the family raft ride and Taboggan Racers. You see from DAK's ToL and EE to all of DHS.
  2. Blizzard Beach is much more thrilling than TL, but that also means the slides are shorter and less variety.
  3. More to snack on at Blizzard Beach!
  4. Lots of places to suntan here!
  5. Wear sunscreen!! Barely any shade here!
  6. The giftshop at the front is very, very nice. Much more to choose from than TL's.
  7. This place is hard to navigate.
  8. Don't put shoes in locker if you plan on using the bathroom a lot. You won't be passing by them on your way to anything and going into a bathroom with bare feet is unimaginably disgusting.
So, we leave BB and return to our microwave of a car. I strongly advise anyone without tint to invent in those sun blockers.

When we get back to SSR we don't shower, but we actually head to our main pool: the High Rock Spring pool. The pool was very crowded too, but it seemed much more relaxed and we did end up finding a nice area to float and relax.

The slide at this pool is intense! Although short, there is one particular curve that practically flips you because you pick up so much speed! Very nice. Any DVC member should check it out. Also, the kiddy area looked like lots of fun!

While we were at the pool they had a game of bingo going on. Fun! We played and almost won, but we had no idea what we were playing for lol

What is the prize anyway? We never did find out :/

Anyways, right in the middle of our awesome bingo game a lightning storm formed and the pool was not closed. We were 2 away from bingo so we decided to wait for them to continue inside. We didn't win as you already know so.... yea. We totally were prepared and everything to yell bingo, so it was a little frustrating haha

After heading back to our studio during the lightning storm, we headed back out to eat at T-Rex with family who were staying off-site. Man was it expensive!!

HAI GUSY
2010vacation2005-1.jpg

My love for Saratoga Springs is evident in how much I take pictures of it
2010vacation2006.jpg

I have no idea who this person is and I don't remember seeing him in my shot. Hilarious! Whoever you are you gave me a good laugh.
2010vacation2007.jpg

Fulton's !
2010vacation2008-1.jpg

I can't stop!
2010vacation2009.jpg

I split the "Boneyard" with my mom and we just thought it was "okay". Plus we got a pretty crummy seat all the way in the corner where we got to look on at the people in the awesome 'ice room'. Our room had projections on the ceiling. Big whoop.

Needless to say, we probably aren't heading back to T-Rex anytime soon.

After we ate, I really wanted to attempt to go on Characters in Flight but it was down. First of many attempts.

I think this was also the night that we got Ghiradelli's at night (late night). Me and my dad conveniently walked from our room to DtD and got a banana split. After a few "ooh's and ahh's" from the crowd (yup, they were missing out!) we had to actually WALK through the woods back home. Perhaps we didn't think this out? It turned out to be okay, but it was a struggle because they gave us NO LID! The hard work payed off, and it was SO delicious and I was craving it so much that we ate it in no less than 3 minutes and I don't even think I had time to taste it. SO GOOOOOD.

This ends Tuesday! We weren't too crazy about this day at the water parks, but the next day would be much, much better- plus coming back to SSR really made the day a lot better!

Wed. will be posted tomorrow along with several (more) pictures (than Tuesday's)!

sweetpee_1993

I'm still following! Enjoying the pics. Glad to hear the tips on the water parks. Can you believe 8 family trips and we have yet to set foot in a water park??? Guess that's what we get for traveling mostly in January. LOL! I wanna check 'em out. Plus, my 12 year old has a waterproof-ish (the book says only 30 minutes underwater then you should let it dry) video camera. How much fun would that be???

Can't wait for more! Keep it coming! :sohappy:

_Scar

Original Poster
I'm still following! Enjoying the pics. Glad to hear the tips on the water parks. Can you believe 8 family trips and we have yet to set foot in a water park??? Guess that's what we get for traveling mostly in January. LOL! I wanna check 'em out. Plus, my 12 year old has a waterproof-ish (the book says only 30 minutes underwater then you should let it dry) video camera. How much fun would that be???

Can't wait for more! Keep it coming! :sohappy:

They're really must-do's at least once! You'll have a blast!

mouselvrmom

I'm loving your trip report! The pictures are so fun!

Count me in the group that hasn't been to a water park either. Maybe next time!

eagles

i am really enjoying your report. thanks for sharing.

i enjoy the water parks also. took a few trips before we ever went, but now i always try to add a day just for them. same for dtd. we went years before ever going. now its tradition to always go.

_Scar

Original Poster
I'm loving your trip report! The pictures are so fun!

Count me in the group that hasn't been to a water park either. Maybe next time!

Thanks! Hopefully I can persaude you to try it at least once! They're really a lot of fun!

i am really enjoying your report. thanks for sharing.

i enjoy the water parks also. took a few trips before we ever went, but now i always try to add a day just for them. same for dtd. we went years before ever going. now its tradition to always go.

No problem!

Glad too see another wp fan

_Scar

Original Poster
Wednesday- August 4th, 2010

A rundown of today's events:

Go to Typhoon Lagoon early until mid afternoon
Eat dinner at Cape May Cafe
End the night at Magic Kingdom

Map of TL:

typhoon_lagoon_map.jpg

I'll start off by saying TL was amazing! Far less crowded (or maybe more suited to handle the crowds I should say) than Blizzard Beach.

1. The wave pool was AMAZING. Best pool in WDW and it's never (that I've ever seen) full to the point where you can't go in. I recommend EVERY pool-lover to explore here!
  2. Swimming closer to the deeper end and being a little scared is better than being confident and then being tackled by a 300 pound person or tackling a 300 pound person. It can get ugly!
  3. The surface toward the shallow end is hard to avoid. Swim to the point where you can touch the ground but have the option to float. My nephew got several deep cuts because of this. ):
  4. Always plug your nose here! Always!
The kiddie area (Ketchakiddie Creek) here is much better than Blizzard Beach's! It's much more sprawled out and it even has a nice slide for the kids! There's even a water cannon area. I had to try it out, but only for few seconds... other kids wanted to play rofl. This is the best kiddie pool in WDW.

I thought the Keelhaul Falls were worth avoiding, but great for little kids who like slides but not fast or thrilling ones. Mayday, on the other hand, was very entertaining and thrilling!

The Storm Slides were also very thrilling, but we only got to do 1 slide. :/

Just another excuse to come back imo! :)

Surprisingly, Gangplank Falls (family raft ride) was VERY turbulent! Thrilling and all, but man was it bumpy. Kids might get scared afterwards but it also might be the slide that makes them go on the more thrilling ones. Wow, intense!! Recommend it though!

I also braved my first trip on Humunga Kowabunga! YAY! It was so thrilling and awesome! So glad I did it! Next trip, I'm coming for you Slush Gusher!!

We ate at Leaning Palms, and it was nothing special food-wise- but the setting is just so Typhoon Lagoon. We always end up eating here, so maybe I'm a bit biased- but it's one of my favorite places to eat! What can I say? I love counter service chicken finger baskets (especially after haven't having them yet this trip).

And finally, the ultimate crowd pleaser.... Crush 'n' Gusher! We all loved this one, and the fact that there's a nice pool nearby made it so simple to child swap.

Recommendation: the line is much smaller for 3-person tubes!

The slide itself is short, but very thrilling. You will feel the little and bigger drops- but that's the best part! It was unanimously our family's favorite.

This is also a GREAT photopass photo op with a CM standing by to take your picture when you make your splashdown exit! Also another photo op nearby (near the entrance to dressing rooms) is a meet and greet with Lilo and Stitch.

Just writing about Typoon Lagoon makes me all excited! This park really deserves much more attention! It's just that gnarly!

_Scar

Original Poster
Next up is Cape May Cafe!

WE LOVED THIS PLACE!

Other than GFC, this place is somewhere we're def. coming back to try! We already decided on next summer :)

Getting there was a little bit of a hassel to say the least! We didn't want to use our car because we'd be heading to MK afterwards, so we took the buses.

Little known fact: a bus from DtD to BC is around 45 minutes long! *UGH*

But we did end up getting there, nearly late! It's funny looking back on it- we almost were to the point of planning where to eat if we missed our reservation. Luckily it did not come to that and we arrived shortly before our time :)

My dad (a seafood lover) naturally loved the place, while me and my mom (not seafood lovers at all) were a little hesitant. We ate the carved prime rib (delicious!). I loved the flavor to it! Kinda spicy, but not too spicy.

This place is your typical buffet, but with a twist: really great food! ;D

The desserts were by far the best!

The chef at the dessert counter was probably the best CM I've ever seen. Very knowledgable, talked to everyone coming up, made you feel really comfortable :) - plus they made a mean lava cake!

The best dessert by far (which happened to be at the dessert chef station) was the peanut butter blondie! I thorougly recommend trying these to ANY snack lover! I could eat these all day!

Also, for any chocolate lover, the lava cake was fantastic and even more fantastic was the oreo cake! The oreo cake (wasn't called this, but don't know exact name) looked like a typical chocolate dessert, but on the bottom was half an oreo with frosting and the inside taste like chocolate ice cream. Fantastic as well!

I must say this again: I strongly recommend Cape May Cafe!

After we left CMC, we went and saw the painter. Man, are they excellent! I could've stayed there watching them paint all day long if I could've! Things like this make BC/YC one of my favorite places!

Next we headed over to the buses to head to Magic Kingdom and that bus was paaaacked! I believe they must share it with YC and BC is the second stop so only standing room for us :/

The ride was long, but we did end up avoiding the TTC all together which was nice. This shaved a good 10 minutes off getting to the gates of MK.

When we got through the gates, it was about 8-8:30.

I can barely see you, castle! Stupid camera!
2010vacation2021-1.jpg

cindernelly.jpg

_Scar

Original Poster
We ended up going through the backstage area which was a little disappointing. I think we did this because the MSEP. It was a little sad we couldn't walk 'right down the middle of MSUSA' but the crowds were killer!

We ended up near TLand, so we hit Buzz (10 minute wait, FP didn't pose a threat surprisingly). Love Buzz so much! Don't understand the hate this ride gets! It's a solid D! Hope mine coaster is this D-ticket-y ;D

Buzz Lightyear: Space Ranger doesn't take good pictures!

2010vacation2020.jpg

This queue is awesome!
2010vacation2019.jpg

Since Space Mountain had something around a 70 minute wait, we avoided it begrudgingly.

So, we picked out a nice fireworks spot near the partners statue. It's quite easy to find a spot here last minute- very easy.

The fireworks were awesome! Best MK fireworks ever and 2nd best WDW show I've ever seen (RoE is #1)

Sorry no pics! I video taped it. It was worth it! (;

IMO, the best segment was by far the pirates section! It was just so awe-inspiring to look all around you and see action! And with Tink as the finale to that segment was only icing on the cake. Great decision TDO to not let this show go to waste! It was really something to see. Hope to see it next year or maybe even a longer version next year.

Off to see MSEP and end the night right.... right? Well, we did like it- but it was no Spectro Magic for us. Spectro is just so classic for us that we probably wouldn't like any other electrical parade lol

But we DID still like it! Must stress that. The finale float was quite astounding to see in person. Sam the Eagle would be proud!

Finally, some pics (not much)

Snazzy Snail is snazzy

2010vacation2027.jpg

Blurry, but I'm gonna just play it off like I meant for it to be because it looks pretty snazzy imo
2010vacation2026.jpg

There we go! Less blurry and still very snazzy!

2010vacation2028.jpg

Snazzy is a great word to describe the parade.

Sorry, would've took more pics but I had to video for a bit.

On the way I out I took some more pictures

Gorgeous bus station!
2010vacation2038.jpg

See you real soon (Friday)
2010vacation2037.jpg

Destination:Saratoga Springs
Who would've guessed that SSR had by far the biggest line of guests with a bus just leaving? We had to wait for 2 buses to come (not to mention the bus we barely missed) to finally get on. Just our luck!
2010vacation2036.jpg

Disney bus: wasting your time never looked so magical!
2010vacation2039.jpg

All in all, a busy day. Probably our busiest! But one of the better days or sure!

Lesson: You can't go wrong with MK, CMC, or TL!

Tomorrow: Epcot!

2010vacation2040.jpg

I had such a great time here and can't wait to write all about it! I also have tons of pics to share :)

Auroragirl

Just got through reading your TR...
AWESOME!!
I really want to do one of the water parks in an upcoming trip.
We were going to try Cape May Cafe... but now I can't remember why we didn't go... :confused:

Your pics were great! Thanks for sharing!!!! :D

Got me pumped up for our trip coming up!

harveyt0206

I've been following along with your report. Really looking forward to your Epcot day as over the past few trips Epcot has slowly inched up to become my favorite park. Enjoying the report so far and will continue to follow it. Looking forward to your thoughts on WWoHP.

_Scar

Original Poster
Just got through reading your TR...
AWESOME!!
I really want to do one of the water parks in an upcoming trip.
We were going to try Cape May Cafe... but now I can't remember why we didn't go... :confused:

Your pics were great! Thanks for sharing!!!! :D

Got me pumped up for our trip coming up!

Thanks!

I'm getting pumped and excited frm just writing and remembering what a great time we had! :D

I've been following along with your report. Really looking forward to your Epcot day as over the past few trips Epcot has slowly inched up to become my favorite park. Enjoying the report so far and will continue to follow it. Looking forward to your thoughts on WWoHP.

Thanks! Epcot really has improved for me too! IDK but it just hit me this past trip how much I love it :sohappy:

scottybx

Hi,
New to the board. Read your tr tonight and it sounds like a great trip. Loving all the pics.

Thanks for sharing.

What brought me in was SSR, we are buying into it so I was curious.

eagles

still enjoying your report. your pics are terrific. and i so remember the first time way back when we saw the electric light parade. since that was the first parade i saw i think of it as a classic.

the beach club was also our first resort we ever stayed onsite for and i have never gone off site since. loved that resort and loved their pool. back in the days the price was something like $235 for a night.

we never made it for the clam bake dinner, but we had many breakfasts there.

thank for all the memories.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom