7 Dwarves Mine Train

POLY LOVER

I was on it last night and I really think they did a great job on it in comparison to the mermaid ride. It looks like two different company's developed the rides. One is Disney quality the other is not?

JohnD

Rode it last week. Once again, Snow White and the Dwarfs weren't dancing in the cottage. That scene seems to constantly break down. It's weird hearing the music and seeing no motion.

JourneysEnd

Here you go:
Dwarfs is the standard plural of the noun dwarf. Dwarves is a newer variant popularized (though not invented) by English author J.R.R. Tolkien in his fantasy fiction works, including The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. The Tolkien spelling is appropriate when referring to little people in fantasy worlds.

JohnD

Here you go:
Dwarfs is the standard plural of the noun dwarf. Dwarves is a newer variant popularized (though not invented) by English author J.R.R. Tolkien in his fantasy fiction works, including The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. The Tolkien spelling is appropriate when referring to little people in fantasy worlds.

Yep! Tolkien's plural was deliberate for his part. He wanted his Dwarves to be a valiant race in his Middle Earth distinguishable from dwarfs in other tales.

Berret

In the Parks
No
Well, I'm a little late to the party, but I'll give my opinion on the ride. I think that overall it's a fun ride. It is a roller coaster, but don't get your heart set on huge drops and thrills, but it's still got decent drops and spins and such. I wish it would've been a little longer, especially for the typical wait times the ride has, although to be fair, my family went in early June last year, and that's when we rode it. What struck me was how smooth and quiet the ride is, especially on the lift hills, and each cart being a free-swinging is also pretty cool. I did like the middle section in the mine itself, when the ride slows down and you can see the gems and everything. Overall, a nice ride, and I think you'll enjoy it.

danyoung56

Remember, Walt wanted things families could do together.

I've always thought that this is one the most misunderstood things about what Walt wanted. From everything I've seen and read (and experienced in DL), Walt did NOT want only attractions that everyone in the family could do together. He wanted a PLACE where the family could have fun, but that didn't mean that every ride had to appeal to every age group. Most teens wouldn't be caught dead on Dumbo or the Casey Junior Circus Train. And the Haunted Mansion, as fun as it is, will scare the daylights out of many little kids. The point Walt was always making was that there needed to be a place where the entire family had something to do. If that meant that some folks had to sit out some attractions, that was still just fine.

danyoung56

The only time I'll stand in a long line (like over 30 minutes or so) is if an attraction is brand new. When they opened the Indiana Jones Adventure in DL, I got in line way over in Frontierland, where I went through several switchbacks before plodding through the hub, then more switchbacks in Adventureland before even getting near the main ride queue. It took about 2 1/2 hours, but I don't regret it as that was my only chance that trip to see IJA. My first time on SDMT I stood in about a 45 minute queue, and that was fine. But now, if it's anywhere over 30 minutes (which it is most of the day), I'll pass if I don't have a FP+. I think it's a totally fun and well done attraction - just not worth a long wait.

Bairstow

Interesting. So I guess when we're talking Tolkein we can say "dwarves", but when talking Disney it's "dwarfs".

I think the distinction to be made is between people with a developmental condition and a fictional race of people and their associated culture. As the Disney film is silent on the issue, the appropriate spelling depends on which kind of short people Doc and his cohort are.

danyoung56

As the Disney film is silent on the issue, the appropriate spelling depends on which kind of short people Doc and his cohort are.

I would think the appropriate spelling depends on how Disney spelled it in the movie. By that standard, it's definitely "dwarfs".

It's the same thing with Pirates - everyone else says cah-RIB-ee-ahn, while Disney says it cah-ruh-BEE-ahn. When talking about the ride, the 2nd pronunciation is correct, even though no one else uses it anywhere else.

SAV

Did it once, had it scheduled for another day later in the trip, but changed our schedule. Couldn't get another FP+ for it. Nobody wanted to wait in line for it the second time. Definitely underwhelmed by the ride.

JohnD

I would think the appropriate spelling depends on how Disney spelled it in the movie. By that standard, it's definitely "dwarfs".

It's the same thing with Pirates - everyone else says cah-RIB-ee-ahn, while Disney says it cah-ruh-BEE-ahn. When talking about the ride, the 2nd pronunciation is correct, even though no one else uses it anywhere else.

My solution is the spelling is proper for the appropriate franchise. For Disney it's "dwarfs" as in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. For anything related to Tolkien, including The Lord of the Rings it's "dwarves" as in the party in The Hobbit is made up of a wizard, a hobbit, and 13 dwarves.

adam.adbe

American vs English pronunciation. I'm assuming Disney opted for the later as a nod to the time period, and the nationalities involved.

danyoung56

My solution is the spelling is proper for the appropriate franchise. For Disney it's "dwarfs" as in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. For anything related to Tolkien, including The Lord of the Rings it's "dwarves" as in the party in The Hobbit is made up of a wizard, a hobbit, and 13 dwarves.

Works for me!

TXDisney

We're going with a group of 8 in 9 days. Only my wife and I have been on this ride. The other 6 last visit was 2yrs ago. They obviously really wanna ride it no fp in advance for it,, so hopefully we can catch it with small lines

MagicMike

The attraction theming is pretty spectacular. The queue is highly detailed and picturesque. The ride track is incredibly smooth, the animatronics are superb, and the show scenes are charming. I think what generates so much negativity with the ride, given its wonderful exterior, is that it's just so brief and sort of mundane. Also, having to endure a premium wait time for such a short ride doesn't exactly help the case right now either. (Once it levels out to be more reasonable I think you'll see many of these complaints go away) The experience never really moves the needle from good to Disney good.

I do think everyone should experience it for themselves at least once.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom