Pre-Trip 7 days at Pop Century is almost here! 3/26-4/2

Finally! So grateful to be writing this pre-trip report! I wasn't sure if I'd write one, or an actual trip report, but I'll do my best here!

For this trip it will be myself, a 34 year old single father, and my soon to be 13 year old daughter, Angelina who is also a member of these forums. We're both very excited. One of the things I'm looking forward to the most is Splah Mountain. The ride was being refurbished during our trips in February of 2009 and March of 2013 last year. My daughter has never been on it, and I haven't been on it since 1992. I honestly booked this trip around when the ride would re-open this season. I wasn't going to have us miss it again.

We'll be staying at the Pop Century Resort, which is where we have stayed out past two previous trips. While our plan was to upgrade to a Mod this time, it just didn't work out. POR didn't just have a standard room, and Coronado Springs only had one with one King bed. French Quarter also didn't have a standard room...so I'm wondering just how crowded it's going to be down there. I would have thought that I missed a good chunk of spring breakers. At any rate, we decided on Pop because AoA only had suites available, and we're familiar with Pop and we like it. Their food court has a lot to offer, the bus transportation has always been great and we can walk to AoA at any time if we choose.

We will be there for 7 days, with 7 day park passes, with waterpark/fun/more options. We'd like to go to Typhoon Lagoon, since we've been to Blizzard Beach once. And we've never been to Disney Quest, so that's on our radar as well. We have the DDP, the quick service plan. My daughter and I won't do more than 2 sit down table meals in a week there, so this is the better option for us.

We'll depart from Baltimore at 6:15am and arrive at MCO at 8:20 in the morning, so I'd expect that we're on the Magical Express and at Pop Century by around 10 am. This will give us a full day and we can have a full breakfast after we check in. My daughter usually likes to spend the mornings swimming, so it's rare we get to a park before 12pm. But our first day tradition is always to head to the Magic Kingdom. And while Tomorrow Land is usually our first stop, I think we're going straight for Splash this year. :) And then maybe a Dole Whip.

As for the other days, we usually don't plan those out in advance. Since we like to do a waterpark, we try to look at the forecast and do that on the warmest day of our trip, so everyday is usually pretty flexible for us. We'll use the extended magic hours as a guide as well.

I'm interested to see how the MagicBands and Fast Pass + work out for us. My daughter tried on a MagicBand at the travel agency yesterday, so she was able to alleviate any fear that it might not fit her.

One thing I'm not sure about, and may not even have enough time to do, would be to venture outside of the bubble for a day and go to Sea World. Has anyone ever done this while staying in the bubble, without transportation? I'm assuming we'd need to take a taxi there?

Anyway, less than 48 hours until we enter the bubble of Disney. And I can't wait.

40goingon7

Have a great time. We'll be there starting April 10th. Always loved staying at Pop. Big pools for after dinner/before sleep swim. Great Pad Thai in the food court. Always saw parents walking back to their rooms with a bottle of wine while the kids had their ice cream.

40goingon7

Finally! So grateful to be writing this pre-trip report! I wasn't sure if I'd write one, or an actual trip report, but I'll do my best here!

For this trip it will be myself, a 34 year old single father, and my soon to be 13 year old daughter, Angelina who is also a member of these forums. We're both very excited. One of the things I'm looking forward to the most is Splah Mountain. The ride was being refurbished during our trips in February of 2009 and March of 2013 last year. My daughter has never been on it, and I haven't been on it since 1992. I honestly booked this trip around when the ride would re-open this season. I wasn't going to have us miss it again.

We'll be staying at the Pop Century Resort, which is where we have stayed out past two previous trips. While our plan was to upgrade to a Mod this time, it just didn't work out. POR didn't just have a standard room, and Coronado Springs only had one with one King bed. French Quarter also didn't have a standard room...so I'm wondering just how crowded it's going to be down there. I would have thought that I missed a good chunk of spring breakers. At any rate, we decided on Pop because AoA only had suites available, and we're familiar with Pop and we like it. Their food court has a lot to offer, the bus transportation has always been great and we can walk to AoA at any time if we choose.

We will be there for 7 days, with 7 day park passes, with waterpark/fun/more options. We'd like to go to Typhoon Lagoon, since we've been to Blizzard Beach once. And we've never been to Disney Quest, so that's on our radar as well. We have the DDP, the quick service plan. My daughter and I won't do more than 2 sit down table meals in a week there, so this is the better option for us.

We'll depart from Baltimore at 6:15am and arrive at MCO at 8:20 in the morning, so I'd expect that we're on the Magical Express and at Pop Century by around 10 am. This will give us a full day and we can have a full breakfast after we check in. My daughter usually likes to spend the mornings swimming, so it's rare we get to a park before 12pm. But our first day tradition is always to head to the Magic Kingdom. And while Tomorrow Land is usually our first stop, I think we're going straight for Splash this year. :) And then maybe a Dole Whip.

As for the other days, we usually don't plan those out in advance. Since we like to do a waterpark, we try to look at the forecast and do that on the warmest day of our trip, so everyday is usually pretty flexible for us. We'll use the extended magic hours as a guide as well.

I'm interested to see how the MagicBands and Fast Pass + work out for us. My daughter tried on a MagicBand at the travel agency yesterday, so she was able to alleviate any fear that it might not fit her.

One thing I'm not sure about, and may not even have enough time to do, would be to venture outside of the bubble for a day and go to Sea World. Has anyone ever done this while staying in the bubble, without transportation? I'm assuming we'd need to take a taxi there?

Anyway, less than 48 hours until we enter the bubble of Disney. And I can't wait.

Last year we took a day at Sea World, but had a car so...Loved the Shamu show although it might be closed for renovations, you should look into that before you decide to go. Nice animal exhibits and had dinner in the shark reef, watching them swim around was a neat experience.

We tried MagicBands on a quick trip last Nov. Only issue was my daughters (2 year old) was too big even with the extension pulled out. Just had to watch that one, otherwise never really noticed them until it was time to use and it was really easy to use the band and keep the wallet in the safe back at the room.

Good news is that Captain Cooks in the Poly will still be open for 24hr dole whip!!!!!!!

jlsHouston

onemoredaytodisney.jpg

Have a wonderful trip!

Brickcity Pauly

Original Poster
Great, but exhausting first day. Was up at 3:50 am to fly out of Baltimore at 6:15 am. Checked in to Pop around 9:30, room was ready. Settled in and got some breakfast before heading to MK for the day. Wow was it packed! MagicBands have been working fine. Used Fp+ for Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion and Splash. No problems at all and I enjoy the new system so far. Rode almost everything I wanted except for Big Thunder Mountain.

Brickcity Pauly

Original Poster
Great second day as well. The sun didn't shine but it didn't rain and was about 70 degrees all day. We slept late, recovering from being awake for 22 Hours yesterday.

We went to DHS today , with FP's for Rockin Rollercoaster, tower or Terror and Star Tours. Longest wait we had all day was TSMM around 50 min. We waited until the first Fantasmic started before we did that. Rode The Great Movie Ride which I haven't done in years. Watched the Walt Disney D23 film as well. Muppetvision is always a favorite. Ate some terrible pizza at Pizza Planet...and we had a good day! I wish DHS was open until 10 or 11. Would have loved to ride Aerosmith and Twilight Zone again. Any reason why DHS isn't open as late?

EPCOT tomorrow :)

Brickcity Pauly

Original Poster
Friday of last week had been EPCOT. Our 2nd year in a row for the F&G Festival. Always beautiful there. We did Mission Space for the first time, but the tame version, as my daughter doesn't like to spin. Also, my first time seeing Captain EO, which is one of the worst things ever. It, along with the Tiki Room are so much worse than Stitch, IMO. but we wanted to say we saw it. had a great time on TT and I ate at the outdoor Mexican Cantina, which I really enjoyed. As much as I hate to say it, there's really so much less to do at EPCOT than their was 20 years back. It was my favorite park when I was younger.

Brickcity Pauly

Original Poster
Saturday 3/29 was very much a relaxing day. It was raining hard from about 11am through 3 or 4 pm. We took that time just to relax and have my daughter catch up on some homework. The around 4:30pm, we headed down to Downtown Disney, where I haven't been since about 1994.

We started off by grabbing a bite to eat at Earl of Sandwich. It was my first time eating at that chain and it was great. My italian sandwich hit the spot and we also split the bacon mac and cheese. We were both really happy with that place. From there we just looked around various stores, until we went to Disney Quest.

It was our first time at Disney Quest, until we had watched one of the programs on the travel channel, we were not aware that it even existed. We had a decent time there. Some of those virtual reality style of games are really out dated. Ride the Comix, I'm looking at you. We had a great time with Virtual Space Mountain though, as my daughter designed a coaster that was a 5 on their fear scale. I enjoyed the Buzz Lightyear Bumper cars as well. Everything else was just kind of there.

Brickcity Pauly

Original Poster
Sunday 3/30/14 was our long day at the Magic Kingdom, as this day had EMH, open until 1 am.

Having already been to MK during the trip and riding almost everything we wanted to, this was more of a relaxed day there, just kind of doing everything as we pleased. "The Middle" was no longer being filmed, and Spring Break crowds were gone, so it was FAR less busier than 3/26/14. We had FP+ for Space/Splash/Big Thunder. During this trip we also went on two rides that my DD and I had never been on...Peter Pan and the Pooh rides. She's almost 13 now, so we just rode them to say that we rode them.

We had lunch at Cosmic Rays that day, and then back to Pecos Bill's for dinner. I had the chicken and steak, again.

We got to see Space Mountain with the emergency lights on during this evening, as it experienced a temp closure as we saw while riding the people mover. I was happy about this, as I always wanted to see it with the lights on.

We also took in the Electrical Parade that evening, as it's always one of my favorites. The night was topped at with a 12:30am visit to Casey's on the way our of the park. Great day/night at MK!

ratherbeinwdw

Sunday 3/30/14 was our long day at the Magic Kingdom, as this day had EMH, open until 1 am.

Having already been to MK during the trip and riding almost everything we wanted to, this was more of a relaxed day there, just kind of doing everything as we pleased. "The Middle" was no longer being filmed, and Spring Break crowds were gone, so it was FAR less busier than 3/26/14. We had FP+ for Space/Splash/Big Thunder. During this trip we also went on two rides that my DD and I had never been on...Peter Pan and the Pooh rides. She's almost 13 now, so we just rode them to say that we rode them.

We had lunch at Cosmic Rays that day, and then back to Pecos Bill's for dinner. I had the chicken and steak, again.

We got to see Space Mountain with the emergency lights on during this evening, as it experienced a temp closure as we saw while riding the people mover. I was happy about this, as I always wanted to see it with the lights on.

We also took in the Electrical Parade that evening, as it's always one of my favorites. The night was topped at with a 12:30am visit to Casey's on the way our of the park. Great day/night at MK!
We'll be staying at the POP in June. Do the rooms have refrigerators? I looked at tons of pictures and can't see one in any of them. Do you know which rooms are closest to the lobby that aren't considered Preferred? Thanks for any answers.

TheMouseFan

We'll be staying at the POP in June. Do the rooms have refrigerators? I looked at tons of pictures and can't see one in any of them. Do you know which rooms are closest to the lobby that aren't considered Preferred? Thanks for any answers.
They had fridges when we were there in November! We'll be there in June too! The 22-27. Have a great trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom