6 month old must haves?

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Hello All!!

We are a family of 5 flying for the first time with our 6 month old this summer to Disney and staying for 8 days... I was wondering what are your must haves traveling with a 6 month old??? What should I definitely bring? I don't want to forget anything or not bring something that is super important for her.

Thanks for all your help!

Disneydreamer23

Hello! I am traveling with my 16 month old to Disney in Sept , I didn't travel to Disney but from Traveling last summer with my daughter we always made sure we had
1. Extra bottles ( unless you Breast feed) some times they just disappear
2. sunblock
3. at least 12 outfits (unless you are planning to wash)
4. A fan for her stroller ( it will help with the heat ) We went to Wisconsin Dells for a week and the fan saved us!
5. Woobie/stuffed animal ( if she sleeps with some thing usually at night for me its TERI/TERRY from Monsters Inc, I forgot it on a weekend trip BAD NEWS)
6. Extra Binkies ( if you use)
7. A bottle brush ( Unless BF )
That's what I can think of off the top of my head, Have a Great Trip!

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Hello! I am traveling with my 16 month old to Disney in Sept , I didn't travel to Disney but from Traveling last summer with my daughter we always made sure we had
1. Extra bottles ( unless you Breast feed) some times they just disappear
2. sunblock
3. at least 12 outfits (unless you are planning to wash)
4. A fan for her stroller ( it will help with the heat ) We went to Wisconsin Dells for a week and the fan saved us!
5. Woobie/stuffed animal ( if she sleeps with some thing usually at night for me its TERI/TERRY from Monsters Inc, I forgot it on a weekend trip BAD NEWS)
6. Extra Binkies ( if you use)
7. A bottle brush ( Unless BF )
That's what I can think of off the top of my head, Have a Great Trip!

Great ideas.. I just added binkies to the list. We have a fan that we use now. I bf now, but I will not be when we go (I plan on stopping in July). How could I forget stuffed animals?!?!?!? lol I know how important it will be to make bedtime as normal and comfortable for her :)

Thank you so much for your advice :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I'm sure I'll think of lots more but I learned to bring flannel receiving blankets. I'd put them over handle bars of attractions they'd want to touch or taste, I always used one for changing tables or out of the way places I chose to change them.

Use new park maps as place mats for them when tables were questionably clean.

Many hand wipes, for baby and babies stuff.

A breathable hat. Don't want to cook 'em but sun off the face. Both my kids like baby sunglasses in the bright sun times.

Something to identify your stroller, we used a hanging catch all bag from the stroller handle. Saw many people tie a balloon.

I shipped a box with formula, baby foods, baby cereal, cherrios all the 'normal' things they ate. I bought the disposable baby spoons and paper disposable bibs for the box too.

They both had a blanket they slept with, it came with us on the plane.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I'm sure I'll think of lots more but I learned to bring flannel receiving blankets. I'd put them over handle bars of attractions they'd want to touch or taste, I always used one for changing tables or out of the way places I chose to change them.

Use new park maps as place mats for them when tables were questionably clean.

Many hand wipes, for baby and babies stuff.

A breathable hat. Don't want to cook 'em but sun off the face. Both my kids like baby sunglasses in the bright sun times.

Something to identify your stroller, we used a hanging catch all bag from the stroller handle. Saw many people tie a balloon.

I shipped a box with formula, baby foods, baby cereal, cherrios all the 'normal' things they ate. I bought the disposable baby spoons and paper disposable bibs for the box too.

They both had a blanket they slept with, it came with us on the plane.

Wonderful ideas!! We are flying and staying at the Dolphin (which doesn't participate in DME) and we are going to rent a van for the day so we can stop off at the food store and get things we couldn't pack in our luggage: diapers, wipes, formula, cherrios and snacks and whatnot. I wonder where I can get disposable baby spoons and bibs at??? I'm sure they would be much easier to use and bring than the real-deal ones :)

LAM378

A small bottle of dish soap/liquid hand soap for washing hands/teethers/any other hard things babies put in their mouths. Hotel bar soap is filmy and just doesn't cut it, IMO. My son is 5 but I'll never stop bringing my little bottle of Dawn!

Also, a large plastic cup for rinsing shampoo off baby's head at bathtime. Too many times I found myself rinsing and repeating 100 times with a teeny tiny disposable cup before I could scrounge up something larger. Not fun for me or the baby :).

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Wonderful ideas!! We are flying and staying at the Dolphin (which doesn't participate in DME) and we are going to rent a van for the day so we can stop off at the food store and get things we couldn't pack in our luggage: diapers, wipes, formula, cherrios and snacks and whatnot. I wonder where I can get disposable baby spoons and bibs at??? I'm sure they would be much easier to use and bring than the real-deal ones :)
I always carried disposable bibs and spoons in our diaper bag home or vacation.
Bibster: http://www.diapers.com/html/sg/disposable-bibs.html
First Years: http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-Infant-Spoons/dp/B00005BUMY/ref=pd_cp_ba_0

My son is 5 but I'll never stop bringing my little bottle of Dawn!

Also, a large plastic cup for rinsing shampoo off baby's head at bathtime. Too many times I found myself rinsing and repeating 100 times with a teeny tiny disposable cup before I could scrounge up something larger. Not fun for me or the baby :).

Yep, I bring Dawn too.

Boy, you parents are nice. I only gave my babies an infant bath those first few weeks 'till things healed up. After that we handed baby off to either my husband or I in the shower, I'd scrub them up, wash their their hair all while I (or him) were in the shower, they got use to water on their head and face long before they could object. Once they could sit up on their own, into the bathtub they went. Wow that brought back memories.

amy1985

We took our son last October when he was seven months and all we took were diapers, wipes and clothes. We're pretty laid back people- not only did I breast feed, which eliminated bottles, etc, we also just wore him in the bjorn most of the time and hardly used our stroller. We just gave him bites of whatever we were eating during mealtimes. There are definitely benefits of packing for every situation, and benefits to just winging it- you know your family best and what works for you!

Weather_Lady

We took our son last October when he was seven months and all we took were diapers, wipes and clothes. We're pretty laid back people- not only did I breast feed, which eliminated bottles, etc, we also just wore him in the bjorn most of the time and hardly used our stroller. We just gave him bites of whatever we were eating during mealtimes. There are definitely benefits of packing for every situation, and benefits to just winging it- you know your family best and what works for you!

THIS!

It sounds like the OP won't be BFing anymore, so I'd add to the "diapers, wipes and clothes" (I apologize in advance as I know this repeats much of what was suggested above):

- a Baby Bjorn, Snugli, or similar strap-on carrier so you can travel hands-free (this was always preferable to a stroller when my family went on trips -- YMMV);
- a park bag consisting of a small backpack with diapers, wipes, rinse-and-reuse bib (we loved our Bibbity bibs!), an extra onesie and hat, a bottle with formula/formula mix (if still using) or a sippy cup, a container of baby food (baby food jars are the only glass containers permitted inside WDW, BTW) and baby-sized plastic spoon;
- a bottle brush (if using bottles) for the hotel room
- extra formula or food (keep it in the hotel room and "refill" the park bag with more only as needed);
- baby-safe sunscreen lotion
- since you're flying, the car seat for the plane

Don't sweat it too much, though -- whatever you forget, you can find at Disney.

Another recommendation I saw on here someplace the other day: If you purchase your diapers, sunscreen, wipes, baby food, or other accoutrements from http://www.diapers.com/, there is free shipping on orders over $49, meaning you could have it all mailed to your hotel ahead of time for free, and won't have to pack/tote it yourself. Other sites, like Amazon, offer similar free shipping deals when you spend a certain amount.

Last edited:
THIS!

It sounds like the OP won't be BFing anymore, so I'd add to the "diapers, wipes and clothes" (I apologize in advance as I know this repeats much of what was suggested above):

- a Baby Bjorn, Snugli, or similar strap-on carrier so you can travel hands-free (this was always preferable to a stroller when my family went on trips -- YMMV);

This is slightly off-topic and I don't mean to hijack, but when using a carrier, can baby stay in for the rides?

Back to topic, I'd bring some travel packs of laundry detergent, too, in the off chance you need to do laundry...
Also, I typically make my own baby food, but those re-sealable pouches are a God send, and if you're using formula, a few small tupperwares or formula keepers (http://www.diapers.com/p/munchkin-p...={adtype}&ca_kw={keyword}&CAWELAID=1338639443) so you can just add water as needed.

Weather_Lady

This is slightly off-topic and I don't mean to hijack, but when using a carrier, can baby stay in for the rides?

As far as using a carrier on the rides, it probably depends on the attraction -- I read a Disney Moms Panel answer to the effect that anything with a lap bar restraint requires you to take the baby out of the carrier, but this "requirement" may depend on the size of your baby and the mechanics of that particular attraction (and the Moms Panel are often wrong, anyway). I'm sure the CMs at each ride will be happy to let you know if you're not sure, but even if you have to take the baby out for attractions with a lap bar, most baby-friendly attractions don't have lap bars anyway.

ninjaprincesst

One thing I find very useful for summer is one of those cooling sports towels that you wet and it stays cool all day, and I don't know why but little heads seem to get so hot. I just bought some smaller size ones at the Dollar Tree that are just the perfect size for cooling their little necks and heads.

boilerpicc

When I took my 3mo, the rule was the baby could stay in the carrier, but had to go under any lap constraints. She was backward facing in a Baby Bjorn. The only ride it was a big pain on was Toy Story Mania.

One thing I thought was great when I brought my 3 year old....someone told me to bring a stroller rain cover....for two reasons: I always put it on when there was a chance of rain and we were going into a show....at least if it was raining you came out to a dry stroller....watching people turn their strollers over to empty them of rain puddles made me happy for this (i had an umbrella stroller, but I guess you get whatever works for yours)
But also when we were leaving the park in the rain it fit perfectly and kept him dry....again, watching people try to make a rain poncho fit a stroller made me happy to have taken this advice

I also wrote our last name in large black markers on the canopy of the stroller, both to make it easy to find (along with a bandana) but also to deter anyone from taking the stroller

I've FF with two at Disney now. It requires a TON of stuff, but as long as you have what you need, it's easy to do while there. Bring formula and bottles from home, along with a bottle brush and a travel size container of the dish soap you use. You'll want to use water bottles, so I like to have a couple cases shipped to the resort in advance. Get a couple of those sectioned formula containers so you can premeasure. You'll also want to make sure you have lots of hand sanitizer and gallon ziploc bags.

To the parks, I take a backpack with the formula containers and clean, empty bottles in a ziploc. I throw in a few bottles of water and hand sanitzer. Also include an empty ziploc for dirty bottles. Make sure you have some burp clothes, bibs and an outfit change in there, along with diapers and wipes. I always have the backpack on me. I never leave it unattended, so no risk of baby's bottles being touched or tampered with.

Other than that, just make sure you have lots of clothes, pjs, sun hats, sunscreen and any comfort items your baby has (blanket, pacifiers, etc). I also like to have my Ergo so I can wear my baby if he's sleeping or sick of the stroller. You can even go on many attractions while baby wearing, so it's very convenient.

It sounds a lot more overwhelming than it is :)

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I know that August is super hot... But I was wondering... Should I bring a sweatshirt:jawdrop: for the baby (just in case??)???????????

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I've FF with two at Disney now. It requires a TON of stuff, but as long as you have what you need, it's easy to do while there. Bring formula and bottles from home, along with a bottle brush and a travel size container of the dish soap you use. You'll want to use water bottles, so I like to have a couple cases shipped to the resort in advance. Get a couple of those sectioned formula containers so you can premeasure. You'll also want to make sure you have lots of hand sanitizer and gallon ziploc bags.

To the parks, I take a backpack with the formula containers and clean, empty bottles in a ziploc. I throw in a few bottles of water and hand sanitzer. Also include an empty ziploc for dirty bottles. Make sure you have some burp clothes, bibs and an outfit change in there, along with diapers and wipes. I always have the backpack on me. I never leave it unattended, so no risk of baby's bottles being touched or tampered with.

Other than that, just make sure you have lots of clothes, pjs, sun hats, sunscreen and any comfort items your baby has (blanket, pacifiers, etc). I also like to have my Ergo so I can wear my baby if he's sleeping or sick of the stroller. You can even go on many attractions while baby wearing, so it's very convenient.

It sounds a lot more overwhelming than it is :)
This is superb advice!!! I can't thank you enough!!!

dadddio

I know that August is super hot... But I was wondering... Should I bring a sweatshirt:jawdrop: for the baby (just in case??)???????????
You will find that the AC in some places is quite cool, but I think that it would be way too much drama to be donning and doffing a sweatshirt for these times.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
You will find that the AC in some places is quite cool, but I think that it would be way too much drama to be donning and doffing a sweatshirt for these times.
That's what I am thinking too.... Worst case I have to buy her something!!! lol

SagamoreBeach

Hello All!!

We are a family of 5 flying for the first time with our 6 month old this summer to Disney and staying for 8 days... I was wondering what are your must haves traveling with a 6 month old??? What should I definitely bring? I don't want to forget anything or not bring something that is super important for her.

Thanks for all your help!

A nanny!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom