50th Celebration Opening Ceremony

919Florida

Original Poster
SeaWorld just announced today the time and some details for the opening ceremony for the 18 month long 50th Anniversary Celebration.

You are invited to join us on Friday, March 21 at 8:15am for the kick-off of our 50th Celebration. The morning will be full of fun and festive activities with artistic performances, a live rendition of the National Anthem and a new SeaWorld theme song. You'll also meet and hear from our Park President, Terry Prather.

And for us lucky SeaWorld PassMembers we have some exciting benefits as well:

Pass Member will receive these special offers on Friday, March 21 during our 50th Celebration Ceremony (8am - 9am only):
• Free coffee
• Free chocolate dipped 50th Celebration treat
• Buy one muffin and get one free at Cypress Bakery
• $5 off your purchase of $25 or more at merchandise retail and photo locations with special certificate
• Purchase your exclusive Pass Member 50th Celebration Pin and Pouch

TP2000

Later this spring, I'm looking forward to going to the real Sea World that is actually 50 years old this year. The Sea World in San Diego.

That's also the only Sea World that is actually on the ocean. You know, the ocean, that thing where all the whales and fish that Sea World displays come from? :D

Sea World San Diego - Opened March 21st, 1964
Sea World Orlando - Opened December 15th, 1973

So that would place Sea World Orlando's 50th anniversary right around the 2023-24 season.

I get it that they needed a marketing push for the other two parks out East in Texas and Florida, in the absence of any major new attractions this year at those other parks. But just like when Disney celebrated Disneyland's 50th back in '05 and many paying customers and an embarrassing number of Florida CM's actually thought it was Walt Disney World that had been there for 50 years, this marketing campaign is mildly annoying.

I would bet a bucket of fish for the seal tank that a bunch of Orlando visitors and too many part-time Sea World Orlando employees will actually think Sea World Orlando has been there for 50 years. :rolleyes:

But I can't wait to get down for a visit to Sea World San Diego in a couple months! That's really the most gorgeous and comfortable of all the Sea World parks, and it's beautiful location on the edge of the blue Pacific Ocean and Mission Bay just can't be beat.

View from the Sea World Sky Cabin - What's all that water out there?!? Oh, yeah, it's the Pacific Ocean.
seaworld_16_bg_0924001.jpg

Last edited:

919Florida

Original Poster
SeaWorld San Diego is beautiful. I have been there before. I love how its on Mission Bay.

Orlando celebrated its 40th Anniversary on December 15 and about 30 of us had a group outing with the SeaWorld podcast and had a day of fun and SeaWorld even treated us to a special trainer talk etc. It was great.

Im looking forward to the 50th celebration. I see nothing wrong with them celebrating it as a chain. The tagline is SeaWorld's 50th Celebration which SEAWORLD is turning 50. It doesn't point out one park in particular.

Im also looking forward to the new nighttime Shamu show and the new fireworks show and all the strolling entertainment and washed ashore art pieces. Its going to be great.

FutureWorld1982

I understand that TP2000 loves California (almost as much as I love the amazing Florida), but there's NOTHING WRONG with this chain-wise special event they are doing. And SeaWorld Orlando is THE LEADING SeaWorld Park, and certainly the one that has the best attraction roster (according to many, many visitors).

Disneyhead'71

When does Florida get a Soarin' movie? :D
I should have when it opened. There are plenty of beautiful vistas and interesting places that could have been used. Some the same as the current Soarin' (golf, orange groves, beaches, Disney Parks). Others similar (the mangroves could replace the white water rafting sections, cruise ships replace aircraft carriers). And then some unique places like the fort at St. Augustine, a short clip following the Oversea Highway to Key West, the rolling horse country around Ocala. It could have easily been done effectively.

TDO's laziness is why, not that FL doesn't have spectacular and interesting vistas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom