50's Prime Time Servers?

Aquira

Original Poster
What's your opinion on the servers? I've heard a lot of people who were really into the whole act, but also some who have had incidents because someone "went too far". Also, did anyone go and just dislike the nagging? I'm not sure if I'd actually respond well to someone bossing me around. :hilarious: Basically I just want to hear some stories, I suppose. :joyfull:

4disneylovers

First time we went here it was opening time and we had absolutely no fun interaction from the server. It was like being at a normal restaurant.

Your experience really all depends on the server you get and how much they are into putting on a show for you or just being your sever.

If you are going to go here, you have to understand what it is all about and take it for what it is meant to be which is fun.

If you have a server doing their job here you will be treated like a child and told to keep your elbows off the table and no dessert if you don't clean your plate including the collard greens. My son loves collard greens ! Who knew?

Last time we were there a boy about 12 couldn't keep his elbows off the table. The waitress. Aunt jan, made him hold his napkin between his nose and the door jam while we all yelled at him to keep his elbows off the table. Everyone was laughing including the boy which is the point.

If you can't play along, it is not a place for you.

However I will say my son drinks a lot and it took her a long time to bring a refill. She told him something like he drank it to fast and she wasn't running all the way back to the kitchen. When I pay that much for a meal, i expect a refill. But I know it was in character.

tor29c

Our first visit there was so much fun. I wanted to order dessert but had not eaten all my vegetables. Our waiter (Cousin Somebody) did the airplane act with the fork to get me to eat them. We were hysterical! I was the adult in the group and the kids though it was great. As others have said if you don't think you can play along you might want to skip this restaurant.

Aquira

Original Poster
Our first visit there was so much fun. I wanted to order dessert but had not eaten all my vegetables. Our waiter (Cousin Somebody) did the airplane act with the fork to get me to eat them. We were hysterical! I was the adult in the group and the kids though it was great. As others have said if you don't think you can play along you might want to skip this restaurant.
So would they have actually brought you dessert before you finished them? Just curious to how seriously they take it. :p

disneyfirstLJ

We went in February and our waitress was very informative and helpful. However, she did not put on a show for us. It was like we were in any other restaurant. Maybe she could tell we were tired, who knows. We did get to watch others receive a "show" and that was fun. I enjoyed it and would go back. The food was excellent.

tor29c

I did eat a few to play along but did not have to finish them. I eat like an 8 year old (mostly junk, little nutrition) :D

Courtney6682

We went twice, Feb of 2013 and Sept of 2013. Both times we got cousin Cooper and he was AWESOME!!!! He took my then 13 yr olds cell phone and REALLLYYYY played everything up, Being annoyed when we asked for refills, telling her she couldnt have dessert until her veggies were gone...sat with us and watched her eat them because he knew they would just go into a napkin...it was great!;)

71dsp

We've gone to 50's Prime Time on every trip so far. It's a must-do for us, and we have fun with the interaction. The food on each trip has been great as well. I agree that if you're not into that kind of thing, it may not be the place for you.

disney4life2008

50s is a disney must do (regardless of servers) - the food is amazing. I found though - the female servers are more into the act than the males (who are more subdued). I was solo but my server made me feel welcomed.

dreamfinder

A good server will pick up on the response from the guest and react accordingly. If the guests are hamming it up, playing along, then the server will do likewise. However if the guest doesn't seem that thrilled by it, a good server will tone it back down and become a normal server towards that guest. Now some servers aren't so good, and either can't pick up on this, or don't care too and are probably working at the wrong establishment. If you think having someone remind you a good manners is going to detract from your meal, then I'd skip it. (And most of what they do is remind people of what good dining etiquette was like back in the 50s)

lebeau

50s is a tradition for us. I have lost count of how many times we have been. We've never had a server go too far with the routine. Generally, they go easy on you unless you start playing it up. I have seen other tables become downright antagonistic. The servers usually rise to whatever level you put out there. I wouldn't be worried about them picking on you. They want a tip and they aren't going to jeopardize it by pushing too far. We have had several servers who were downright hysterical.

We have only had bad service there once. It wasn't related to the gimmick though. Our last waiter was in over his head with the dining plan since the addition of magic bands. Apparently, it was a pretty complicated transition for him. He got frustrated and broke character saying how much he hated the new system. The next day, I realized he charged us for someone else's meal and I had to straighten out our table service credits. But in terms of the act, he was funny.

Odds are you'll have a good time. If you aren't getting enough atmosphere, engage your waiter. Otherwise, they will probably just throw a few quips your way when they visit the table.

anchorman314

I haven't eaten here in years, but the last time there was an experience I'll never forget. Not sure if they still do it or not, but there was a "clean plate club" gimmick that they had going on, aimed at kids. Basically, if you cleaned your plate, you got a sticker (and perhaps something else....I forget). My Dad decided to take it to the next level. Not only did he finish all of the food, he took a few napkins from the table and actually wiped down the plate. When our waiter stopped by to clear the table, he noticed the 'clean plate' and made quite the spectacle out of it. He even brought the plate to a few of his nearby tables to show it off! I believe my Dad got several stickers as a result. :D

ratherbeinwdw

Every time we've eaten there, we've gotten a male server. None of them really did the clean plate stuff. The most they did was sit with us and talk, which we did enjoy. The males in our party don't eat that type food, so it always ended up being just the females and no small children. We have seen a couple of the female servers go a lot further than we would have enjoyed. I guess we lucked-up and got the level of "play" that we enjoyed. We usually go when it's not crowded.

Aquira

Original Poster
I haven't eaten here in years, but the last time there was an experience I'll never forget. Not sure if they still do it or not, but there was a "clean plate club" gimmick that they had going on, aimed at kids. Basically, if you cleaned your plate, you got a sticker (and perhaps something else....I forget). My Dad decided to take it to the next level. Not only did he finish all of the food, he took a few napkins from the table and actually wiped down the plate. When our waiter stopped by to clear the table, he noticed the 'clean plate' and made quite the spectacle out of it. He even brought the plate to a few of his nearby tables to show it off! I believe my Dad got several stickers as a result. :D
That sounds hilarious! That sounds like something I would do to try and get more stickers. I'm a bit of a sticker junkie.

HouCuseChickie

We've been a couple of times. Most recently, DH was fed his veggies by our cousin. He didn't force the clean plate, but he picked up DH's fork, loaded up some veggies several times and fed him like a baby in a high chair. I know I also did something...can't recall exactly what...but I had to stand with my nose against the wall in time out for a bit. I may have put my elbows on the table...intentionally ;)

As for playing it up...just like WCC, I think there are going to be some people who just don't enjoy these kinds of antics. Hopefully the server picks up on these queues, but I don't take the chance when my parents are with us. I've told servers that it's OK to mess with me, the kids, and DH but to leave my parents out on the jokes.

Aquira

Original Poster
This place sounds like a nightmare to me... :eek:
Honestly, I think for me too. I'd be annoyed at being told to go in time out. I don't think I would mind it quite as much on a normal day, but on a day where I'm already bound to be exhausted I'd probably snap back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom