50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

yensidtlaw1969

NFL is beautiful. The new hub is an improvement. I like the Mine Train and the Little Mermaid ride better than the subs (I've only experienced the ones at DL but I assume it was a worse experience due to it being older).
While you're certainly within your right to prefer the new attractions to 20,000 Leagues, I think it is somewhat generally accepted that 20K was better than the new Nemo subs at Disneyland. The projections in Disneyland's subs seems to have hampered the design of the show scenes, so upon entering the caverns the illusion of being under water quickly becomes secondary to watching the animated characters bounce around.

20,000 Leagues achieved an impressive depth to it's illusion - not so much in terms of how far down under the water you were, but with regards to how far back the scenes appeared to go, it felt much more that you were out in a broad, seemingly endless sea. Between that and the Nautilus subs themselves the atmosphere of the attraction was rather intoxicating . . . I think it was well said to say that 20K was greater than the sum of its parts. Definitely rode on a wave of old school flair that didn't necessarily seep into the new version of Disneyland's subs.

Daveeeeed

Okay... so Disneyland Paris has within the most beautiful Fantasyland on Earth,
IMG_7753.JPG

MK’s has the stunning but lacking a great attraction NFL (old areas look terrible though also containing bad upkeep thus far),
IMG_7754.JPG

but Disneyland has beauty, charm, intimacy (goes a long way!), detail, epic rides — in other words the whole package.
Disneyland’s IASW is stunning inside and out, has the epic Alice in Wonderland attraction, the throwback Mr. Toad, and as a bonus... ZERO Fastpasses (except Matterhorn now). A perfect way to spend a couple of hours while waiting for your Matterhorn Fastpasses.:D
IMG_7752.JPG

Even from the Tomorrowland side, there really is no comparison. So much kinetic energy, trees, place-making in a tiny park, but don’t be deceived by its size. The older brother packs a punch. Walt Disney knew what he was doing.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

View attachment 221242
MK’s has the stunning but lacking a great attraction NFL (old areas look terrible though also containing bad upkeep thus far),
View attachment 221243
but Disneyland has beauty, charm, intimacy (goes a long way!), detail, epic rides — in other words the whole package.
Disneyland’s IASW is stunning inside and out, has the epic Alice in Wonderland attraction, the throwback Mr. Toad, and as a bonus... ZERO Fastpasses (except Matterhorn now). A perfect way to spend a couple of hours while waiting for your Matterhorn Fastpasses.:D
View attachment 221240
I liked the 20k ride at TDS much more than the DL subs because there was more to look at. They did some really cool effects because you're not under water.

Even from the Tomorrowland side, there really is no comparison. So much kinetic energy, trees, place-making in a tiny park, but don’t be deceived by its size. The older brother packs a punch. Walt Disney knew what he was doing.
DLP is beautiful. But I think Shanghai has the best Fantasyland. The castle is stunning. Especially on a foggy day when you're across the park and see the castle. Badass. The boat ride is cool and underrated. The queue lines are the best. The facades are amazing. The attractions are great. And good food. Also the castle walk through blows all the other castle walk theoughs out of the water. I'd say however that MK has the best food in FL. The flatbreads and breadsticks are great at Pinochios and the Mac n Cheese with beef at the other place is amazing. Not to mention Be Our Guest and the cinnamon roles at Gastons.

IMDREW

I didn't like Shanghai's fantasyland at all. Atleast not the back of it. With the giant ugly frozen theater box and the too small tangled tavern where I could see outside the park. I really think that was the weakest part of the park imho. The rest of the park was beautiful ofcourse and they do got the best peter pan hands down

Daveeeeed

What do you mean when you say the old areas look terrible?
The "castle" Fantasyland tents seen in the MK clearly are not of highest quality and look even worse when compared to NFL. DL got an update, and DLP opened with that update.
DLP is beautiful. But I think Shanghai has the best Fantasyland. The castle is stunning. Especially on a foggy day when you're across the park and see the castle. Badass. The boat ride is cool and underrated. The queue lines are the best. The facades are amazing. The attractions are great. And good food. Also the castle walk through blows all the other castle walk theoughs out of the water. I'd say however that MK has the best food in FL. The flatbreads and breadsticks are great at Pinochios and the Mac n Cheese with beef at the other place is amazing. Not to mention Be Our Guest and the cinnamon roles at Gastons.
It's still too 'young'. I have only been to the 3 I mentioned above, but from what I have heard it is still too early. Though, it all comes down to personal preference.
I didn't like Shanghai's fantasyland at all. Atleast not the back of it. With the giant ugly frozen theater box and the too small tangled tavern where I could see outside the park. I really think that was the weakest part of the park imho. The rest of the park was beautiful ofcourse and they do got the best peter pan hands down
That's what I would assume from looking into Shanghai. The best ride there is probably Peter Pan. It probably holds very well to WDW, but Anaheim's line-up is simply outstanding.
Disneyland's Fantasyland will always reign supreme. Unless they truly mess with it, of course
I would guess so. If DLP gets a B&TB ride and Disneyland for some reason does not get one then I would say DLP's would be the best. Its updates are supposedly fantastic. But Disneyland has the unique quaintness and is definitely better at the moment.

No Name

I'm can't help but recall that, when I was little, Frontierland, Adventureland, and Liberty Square often blurred together. To me, it was all a lot of rock and trees and old buildings. On the other hand, Fantasyland was incredibly distinguishable with its colorful castle tent look. Tomorrowland was incredibly distinguishable with its futuristic look. It sounds stupid, but hey, I was an authentic young child visiting WDW.

This is why, while it could be improved, I very much like the castle tent look. It's very unique, united, and distinguishable. And works well with the castle. My child self never perceived it as cheap, instead, I think it's an effective use of money. Effective uses of money allow for more substance within the attractions themselves, something that New Fantasyland could've certainly benefitted from. I think NFL looks beautiful in its own regard, and its clear that you're exiting the castle forecourt, so I wouldn't want to see the old Fantasyland fundamentally changed.

Soarin' Over Pgh

View attachment 221242
View attachment 221243
View attachment 221240

Precisely why I'm headed there in December. I had such a miserable time at WDW last year that I need some time at Disneyland to wash the taste out. The intimate feeling there is like a warm welcome home hug. I need that!

I think , while the MK has the blessing of size it also has the curse of size. It doesn't have that enveloping, overlapping touch because it simply isn't. The closest it has would be the newest addition to fantasyland. However the newness makes the old parts OLD and glaringly so. Looking at you, Peter Pan and IASW.

becca_

really? always seen them right next to the Castle (right pathway, moving from the heritage house towards the castle, right infront of the Cinderella Fountain)
walt-.jpg
step-sisters.jpg
I just pulled these off of google (sorry random family!), but you can see they're near Mine Train (see construction in the back) right by those brick "gates" into NFL. I hope that makes sense/is the right area lol

Daveeeeed

I'm can't help but recall that, when I was little, Frontierland, Adventureland, and Liberty Square often blurred together. To me, it was all a lot of rock and trees and old buildings. On the other hand, Fantasyland was incredibly distinguishable with its colorful castle tent look. Tomorrowland was incredibly distinguishable with its futuristic look. It sounds stupid, but hey, I was an authentic young child visiting WDW.

This is why, while it could be improved, I very much like the castle tent look. It's very unique, united, and distinguishable. And works well with the castle. My child self never perceived it as cheap, instead, I think it's an effective use of money. Effective uses of money allow for more substance within the attractions themselves, something that New Fantasyland could've certainly benefitted from. I think NFL looks beautiful in its own regard, and its clear that you're exiting the castle forecourt, so I wouldn't want to see the old Fantasyland fundamentally changed.
At at the very least some areas need to be improved upon aesthetically. For instance, Peter Pan is inferior to Philharmagic, so improving and modernizing the original tent look could work out. The tents are obviously cheaper than the expensive detail seen at most of the other resorts. IASW looks so much better at the other resorts than WDW too, plus the lack of water features really sinks it. NFL helps, but the old style should have received some help with the expansion.

I think the 'tent' look is pretty neat. That being said, I think 1 of the 50th Magical Enhancements for the 50th should be finishing Fantasyland to bring in on par with NFL -- replacing or updating the tent look.

Jeremy P

I think the 'tent' look is pretty neat. That being said, I think 1 of the 50th Magical Enhancements for the 50th should be finishing Fantasyland to bring in on par with NFL -- replacing or updating the tent look.

Completely agree. I would think that would be a large wasted opportunity to not update that area of Fantasyland for the 50th. I wonder if there's any way that they could shorten some of the IASM queue and open up some of that walkway between IASM and PPF?

Bocabear

Completely agree. I would think that would be a large wasted opportunity to not update that area of Fantasyland for the 50th. I wonder if there's any way that they could shorten some of the IASM queue and open up some of that walkway between IASM and PPF?
NO! the queue is kind of floating over the water now...The queue could not be shortened that would add space in any meaningful way...Only way to open up that bottleneck is to move the attraction completely...PPF is already as tight to the building as it can possibly go as well.

KrazyKat

This is definitely one area I hope gets updated for the 50th. Not for nothing but I wish they would do away with the all white look of IASW (looks very 1970s) and give it some color like Tokyo's.
IMG_5948.JPG
IMG_5947.JPG
Get rid of those tents out front!

Also, make the PPF facade similar to Paris and Anaheim. However, save the classic MK sign.
IMG_5951.JPG
This would blend in beautifully with NFL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom