50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

asianway

Can you please expound on the timeshare changes? More perks,( like free dining!), for us lowly DVC owners? Hopefully, not a "moderate" DVC resort.....
You do understand what you purchased right? Considering the incredulity of 99.9% of the people on this board that Disney offered free fountain drinks for life for $8.99 in 1991(hint, they did) why do you think they would offer free food for 50 years in the year 2017?

brb1006

Wow. Good idea making this a separate thread...let's try to keep it on topic everyone. In concept this is a really good idea. Something you would have expected from WDW in the 80s/90s. I'm sure some of the 50 things will be small or even negative additions (characters in Small World...yuck:hungover::mad::banghead:) but that's still a pretty significant scope to add to or enhance 50 attractions. It's good to see WDW getting some love again. I'm cautiously optimistic. Now if we can just avoid a catastrophic economic meltdown between now and 2021 maybe they will actually complete the project.

@WDW1974 any word on specific projects for EPCOT? I feel like I could almost find 50 things there that need some love, but specifically any changes to major pavilions like Energy and Imagination or another country?
I hate to make this choice, but I would rather have characters at Small World than Guardians at ToT in HS.

dreamscometrue

Although I may me more prone to pixie dust and not as tough on the company as some on here, I really believe that there have been a lot of solid things happening the past few years, that are attempting to correct that span of several years, where WDW was left largely ignored. From my perspective, the start of any trend at all towards improving things started with the solid refurb of Splash, a few years back. @WDW1974 made mention of some attractions that looked good, and I would add to that (after visiting all the parks 2 weeks ago), Splash still looks good (as it should), and Dinosaur had a solid refurb. There is obviously a lot of good stuff planned, and for some it may never be enough nor fast enough, but the trend seems to be for more of a will to do good things. Years ago, there was an article and (I believe a) thread called "Declining by Degrees". (Was that @KevinYee?) That was spot on at the time, and valid for years. I think in fairness, and if one can be objective, we have actually seen a recent trend in many parts of WDW towards "Increasing by Degrees". Seems like this may continue for several years, imho.

CJR

Is your opinion based upon any evidence or technical evaluation of the structure, or is it just emotional conjecture?

Others here know much more than myself, my decision not to ride it is a personal one. It's common knowledge at this point that the support system is old, stressed, and should be replaced. It was a heated topic and has been since before the 2009 refurbishment.

Keep in mind, that this ride has been in operation almost daily since that refurbishment too, with just a few very short (just a few days at a time) closures. By the 50th Anniversary, it will have been over a decade of further stress to the support structure.

There has been quite a bit of discussion this too, take a read on this thread for more information (take note of Martin's post): http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/space-mountain-discussion.910058/

DznyRktekt

If new scenes are being added to the WDWRR, I suppose it's too much to hope that MK will finally get their own Primeval World scene. If the Energy pavilion at Epcot is truly closing, the dinos will need a new home and I hope it isn't the local landfill.
I'd like them to build from your idea but add the Energy dinosaurs to Animal Kingdom allowing the train have a true purpose and destination rather than the unclimactic journey the AK rails are today. Plus it would expand on dinos already present in the park.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
The sad part is a lot of this appears to be deferred maintenance that should have been occurring on an ongoing basis. A lot of these enhancements should have been done years ago, if for nothing more than brand continuity.

That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The sad part is a lot of this appears to be deferred maintenance that should have been occurring on an ongoing basis. A lot of these enhancements should have been done years ago, if for nothing more than brand continuity.

That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic.
I don't see them simply fixing a neglected attraction and marketing that. Even if they add one scene or a few new effects, that can be marketed under this.
It doesn't sound like they are planning on just cleaning things up or deferred maintenance. Sounds like the 50 things will be some form of enhancement or new add.

CJR

WDW RR getting a few little scenes along the tracks;

How big do you think they'll go?

With UoE possibly closing soon, is it possible they could move a few sets over and we get our version of Primeval World? I grew up going to Disneyland (couldn't afford to stay in Cali though), so you can imagine when I went on MK's RR the first time, haha. That would a be a huge deal!

DznyRktekt

I don't want to see dinosaurs on the Wildlife Express. Keep the Dino's in Dinoland.
The wildlife express shows us the beauty of backstage areas and the destination is as cheezy as my local zoo. It was obviously a result of initial budget cuts as was the backside of Everest when it was added.

peter11435

The wildlife express shows us the beauty of backstage areas and the destination is as cheezy as my local zoo. It was obviously a result of initial budget cuts as was the backside of Everest when it was added.
I'm not saying that the train and its destination can't be improved. Just that IMO dinosaurs do not belong there and should not be the solution.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

I'd like them to build from your idea but add the Energy dinosaurs to Animal Kingdom allowing the train have a true purpose and destination rather than the unclimactic journey the AK rails are today. Plus it would expand on dinos already present in the park.
The only sensible reason to do something like that would be if they embarked on some ambitious "Relocate Dinoland to the expansion plot behind Asia and do it as a Lost World, while converting the original Dinoland into something else" plan like @RandySavage 's Animal Kingdom layout.
http://idealbuildout.blogspot.com/2016/09/animal-kingdom.html

Giving Magic Kingdom a Primeval World is the more sensible solution and I think dated "retrosaurs" like those guys just fit better at that park then at Animal Kingdom anyways. Let the Energy/Primeval World dinos be the Jungle Cruise to Countdown to Extinction's Kilimanjaro Safaris.

wdwfan4ver

Is your opinion based upon any evidence or technical evaluation of the structure, or is it just emotional conjecture?
There is some proof besides what CJR posted.

During the short refurbishments of Space Mountain since than, the attraction got trim brakes. That attraction didn't get trim brakes before the short refurbishments in 2013 and that is a sign of an attraction with some type of condition problem with the tracks as a result.

Here is proof of Trim brakes back in 2013:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...ce-mountain-during-upcoming-refurbishment.htm

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom