50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

articos

I have very mixed feelings about this. Although most of the proposed additions sound great, do we really need to wait 4.5 years to justify them?

These are the sorts of things that should be done on a continual basis, regardless of any upcoming anniversary. Walt called it "plussing"; essentially it's just continuing to tinker with the experience to exceed guest expectations. But given that Disney has been aiming to just-barely meet guest expectations for years, this seems like a radical departure

I blame both management and fans for this mindset. We've already had several years of folks here saying "I wish we had ______, maybe we'll get it for the 50th," despite that anniversary being years away. If instead the attitude were "We need _____, because tickets cost over $120 per day," perhaps these sorts of changes would happen on a more regular basis

In general the heart of this concept seems to be in the right place. I just don't like that we have to wait for an anniversary (one that is still several years away, to boot) to get it implemented. This should be part of the regular program of refurbishments and upgrades in all the parks, not something special worth celebrating.
Although termed as for the 50th, the work would be done in the years leading up. Its quite a bit to do if they try to accomplish this. I agree it's all work that should be (and should have been) done consistently, but don't look a gift horse in the mouse. If this turns into reality, it's a time frame over months (years) like past anniversary celebrations, but bigger.

MuteSuperstar

Have heard this could spread to the water parks and resorts (but also heard the resorts might be handled a bit separately as WDW's hotel and timeshare business will look a lot different in four years).

Getting outsourced to a third party hotel operator, perhaps? I know this has been floated in the past.

CJR

Out of interest, what would you say is the biggest problem with it.

I speak my opinion so others may disagree, but ride needs a new support structure. It's old and, in my opinion, dangerous to be putting up with the daily stress it receives today. It really should have been replaced already and is why I won't ride it. The track itself isn't the problem, but what's holding the track.

Upgrades all around would be desired by me though, including on board audio. Just my opinion, but if WDW got the same enhancements as DL, with its larger size (two tracks instead of one), it would go back to being one of the best rides on property.

jmuboy

Getting outsourced to a third party hotel operator, perhaps? I know this has been floated in the past.
I would love the monorail resorts which are the 50 year old hotels (except the grand ) to get reclassified as a new super deluxe catagory. Ideally this would happen without a price hike. The service levels would be upgraded across the board more in line with the four seasons. They need that and this would be perfect timing for it

GeneralKnowledge

I speak my opinion so others may disagree, but ride needs a new support structure. It's old and, in my opinion, dangerous to be putting up with the daily stress it receives today. It really should have been replaced already and is why I won't ride it. The track itself isn't the problem, but what's holding the track.

Is your opinion based upon any evidence or technical evaluation of the structure, or is it just emotional conjecture?

As much as Disney has been slacking in the show quality department, I'm confident they haven't been slacking in the safety department to the point that a critical part of a ride's structure is going to fail. In terms of safety, the strength of the track's support structure is way less of a concern than the fact that the structure is within reach of guests traveling in the vehicles.

I'd love for Space Mountain to get a full overhaul too, but from a guest experience perspective, not a safety perspective.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wow. Good idea making this a separate thread...let's try to keep it on topic everyone. In concept this is a really good idea. Something you would have expected from WDW in the 80s/90s. I'm sure some of the 50 things will be small or even negative additions (characters in Small World...yuck:hungover::mad::banghead:) but that's still a pretty significant scope to add to or enhance 50 attractions. It's good to see WDW getting some love again. I'm cautiously optimistic. Now if we can just avoid a catastrophic economic meltdown between now and 2021 maybe they will actually complete the project.

@WDW1974 any word on specific projects for EPCOT? I feel like I could almost find 50 things there that need some love, but specifically any changes to major pavilions like Energy and Imagination or another country?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I would love the monorail resorts which are the 50 year old hotels (except the grand ) to get reclassified as a new super deluxe catagory. Ideally this would happen without a price hike. The service levels would be upgraded across the board more in line with the four seasons. They need that and this would be perfect timing for it
I could see that happening...except for the without a price hike part:greedy::greedy::greedy:. There are already unofficial levels within levels why not formalize that and convert a few of the deluxe resorts into true luxury resorts.

brb1006

Look if they just recently repainted Figment's footprints back onto the wall again after you exited the ride.....Chances are it's sticking around for sometime......That Other site has photo's of it..
Wait they repainted Figment's footprints? I thought they got rid of them months ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom