50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

rushtest4echo

And that last minute addition was pure gold. Why can't they just make movie about Darth Vader going around kicking butt and ripping people apart? Not asking for much. Would make 1.5 billion might even challenge the big blue people for their box office belt.

I just re-watched the film last night, and I completely agree. If only Anakin had become Darth about halfway through Episode III and spent the last 45 minute murdering everyone. It would have been glorious and something from the prequel trilogy worth watching!

tirian

For me, the current upswing in quality is bittersweet. It follows a decade of outrageous price increases, to the extent that even though I know the final product will be worth the prices Disney is currently charging, I also know the prices will be jacked up once the 50 additions are complete. For years, Disney has padded its P&R numbers by raising charges. The food and especially the hotels are incredibly overpriced. Yet to quote a Ghost Host, "There's no turning back now."

Edit: I'm squarely in Disney's target demographic, but now that I travel the world more often than I used to, I have a difficult time justifying the company's pricing structure.

Universal is better than it was a decade ago.

And the several Six Flags that I visited are way better today than they were in 1970s and 1980s.

This is sometimes referred to as "The Disney Effect". Disney's historically superior quality has caused the competition to step up their games.

Funny thing about being the front runner; you start to assume you will remain in the lead no matter what you do.

Ask the Atlanta Falcons how that worked out. ;)

Nice to see Disney once again behave like they have to work to earn my business. :)

The Empress Lilly

Is there any park that hasn't become exponentially more crappy as time goes on for some of you? Everything's currently a travesty and hindsight makes it look oh so much better than it actually did. It's like clockwork.

Just think, in 20 years I'll be able to tell my grandkids what idiots they are for saying that Animal Kingdom is their favorite park in the year 2037. I'll remind them that I was there back when it was optimistic, back when they cared, back before Pandora ruined the park's message and they went all downhill from there.
No, no adding Pandora is nothing like what happened to EPCOT.

Imagine Kilimanjaro safari being gutted for Pooh's Playful Visit to his African Friends, a three minute ride on a pastel coloured choo-choo.

Imagine Everest's track no longer going up the mountain - considered too expensive to maintain during a refurb - and instead just circling around the base of the mountain leading up to an encounter with Duffy.

Imagine the Maharaja Trek receiving a midway screen based attraction called 'Trash Talk with Tow Mater'. Because it needs to be made fun for the kids!

Then imagine DAK hosting 'Go Ape Booze Fest' eight months of the year. Then we approach what has happened. Oh, and imagine DAK had not been an underbuild half day park with four rides, but the greatest theme park ever build, the world's largest private construction.

ToTBellHop

Imagine Kilimanjaro safari being gutted for Pooh's Playful Visit to his African Friends, a three minute ride on a pastel coloured choo-choo.

Imagine Everest's track no longer going up the mountain - considered too expensive to maintain during a refurb - and instead just circling around the base of the mountain leading up to an encounter with Duffy.

Imagine the Maharaja Trek receiving a midway screen based attraction called 'Trash Talk with Tow Mater'. Because it needs to be made fun for the kids!

Then imagine DAK hosting 'Go Ape Booze Fest' eight months of the year. Then we approach what has happened. Oh, and imagine DAK had not been an underbuild half day park with four rides, but the greatest theme park ever build, the world's largest private construction.
Well-played. And 100% accurate. In fact, at DAK, with everything that they have added recently and with Pandora, it's clear they have painstakingly tried to maintain the purpose, aesthetic, and feel of the park. There is no reason they couldn't do the same at Epcot. They could have injected us into war-ravaged Pandora but have specifically placed us there many years after the AVATAR films to better work with the rest of the park.

asianway

According to the orc that may well happen if Pandora doesn't pull them in

DznyRktekt

Careful, there could be some winners here. :cautious:

kpilcher

Love the post. ... and I had a similar SW experience. And loved it. But that didn't make me a SW fan for life ... largely because of what Lucas did ... and then it being a Bob Iger Legacy Acquisition.

But my experience was all about EPCOT Center. Watching it rise from truly nothing but swamp and scrub in the early 80s and then monorailing out to the site in April of 82 was just ... a mystical experience for me. And to then be there when it opened its doors to the world and buying this amazing thing called an Annual Pass (well, Mom and Dad did because I am not, contrary to popular opinion here, 71 years old!) for $75. It was this amazing futuristic and cultural playground that didn't talk down to its audience. That used tech to tell stories. That gave audiences credit for being able to sit in an attraction for 30 minutes and not get bored or crap their pants. That wasn't interested in synergy or selling Disney BRANDS or IP. And if you weren't there back then, you can't grasp what it felt like.

So clean, modern, well-maintained, and optimistic. Always optimistic.

And that's why today's wasteland makes me want to cry, even if you can meet both Joy and Sadness in the park.
If I could like this post a hundred times I would. EPCOT Center was magic. Brilliantly hyped. Not over-hyped. I poured over the pamphlet from the preview center (Walt Disney Story) so much the Only reason I still have it is because I added staples. Then I poured over the concept art booklet shipped to Magic Kingdom Club members. I was so upset I didn't get to go on opening day. But it was a school day. Parents took me about a month later for my birthday and I was hooked. It was my park. Til the changes started. And Til Animal Kingdom achieved something brilliantly different (and my brother helped build the Busch Gardens Tampa monorail. So I know that park was somewhat an inspiration.). Paraphrasing something Martin said recently: if only all of the changes over the years added up to an improvement few people would mourn World Of Motion or Horizons or maelstrom or El Rio, et. al. Much as I loved Kitchen Kabaret, I was excited at the idea of a new show, and I loved the concept art. Until Food Rocks debuted and it looked like they painted that concept art on cardboard and called it "animatronics." For me, that was the beginning of the end. Yes. That long ago. And I love the soundtrack to FR. If the figures had been rendered with the same care as the KK ones, I would have not minded the change. And this from someone who has a piece of the WOM pavilion "borrowed" during the transformation to TT.

PREMiERdrum

giphy.gif

Well, well, well said. Next round's on me.

brb1006

How amazing would it be if they actually put the Main Street shops back together like they originally were (penny arcade, cinema) instead of the one long stretch of Disney Store that it's become...loaded with the same crap that you can find in any other store on property. Wishful thinking. Oh well, there's always Diagon Alley ha ha...
I wish they also brought back the diorama at the Penny Arcade. Back in the 70's and 80's when ever Disney used to re-release their films in theaters they would change the diorama with a film that just got re-released such as the characters from Bambi and a moving Thumper that "hopped" from a log to a big rock. I remember seeing footage of this from a Retro WDW video (skip to 4:09 mark)

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

@The Empress Lilly, This is the kind of stuff that gives me nightmares because stuff like this which at one time was unthinkable is all too likely under the current management. But well said, well said indeed, For many years EPCOT was my favorite park it showed what was possible. And inspired many like me to try to make some of the things I saw actually happen. Even now some of my time is spent working on 'The Internet of Things' EPCOT was an inspiration then instead of a place to do an expensive pub crawl.

Phil12

As Marcel Proust said, “Remembrance of things past is not necessarily the remembrance of things as they were.” It's rather clear that the nostalgia expressed here is for a place that never existed. Thomas Wolfe said it best, "You can't go home again".

Rant all you want about how things were better at WDW in the 70's, 80's or 90's. Fact of the matter is WDW is better now than ever.

pixargal

I'm somewhere between you and @WDW1974. Don't know if you'd consider me a young whipper-snapper too! ;)

Part of what made WDW so special, especially in the 1970s, was the time. Between urban decay, Watergate, CIA revelations, the gas crisis, the Cold War, the Vietnam War, Stagflation, and an endless stream of depressing news, it felt like the world was falling apart.

Unlike today, other amusement parks were skeevy places to visit. For someone from the Northeast, Disneyland was practically on the other side of the World.

When Walt Disney World opened, we finally had our own haven from the woes that so troubled us.

The old Disney was deeply committed to quality. When Epcot was in the works, executives were genuinely concerned about the quality of Cast Members, thinking they had already hired the best Florida had to offer.

In keeping with Walt's vision, shops were intended to be part of the entertainment, not sell the same generic merchandise found at local stores.

The commitment to quality was uncompromising. I've told the story of the chipped park bench my brother and friends found during one of our early trips. When we came back the next day, that chip had been repaired and the bench looked brand new.

I remember food being pretty bad though. I don't think that picked up until the 1990s.

Prices truly were much more affordable. After the opening of Epcot, a three-day theme park ticket cost today's equivalent of about $85. A tower room at the Contemporary could be booked for today's equivalent of around $200-250 per night depending on the season.

These were not cheap prices in the 1970s and 1980s; WDW was still the most expensive theme park in the United States. But these prices pale in comparison to today's WDW.

Although I am pleased to see WDW once again trending upward, it's got a long way to go before it will come close to its former glory.
So, looks like we are the same age. I agree that the years that we first went (1970's) probably had a lot to do with its magical experience. We grew up in a time without cable, DVD players, video games, and Chuck E Cheeses. We created our own entertainment. We went to the movie theater to see movies. We couldn't just pop in a DVD. I remember going to Saturday matinees to see Disney movies such as Herbie the Love Bug, The Apple Dumpling Gang, and my favorite, Escape to Witch Mountain. And, of course, Saturday morning cartoons were the best.

In a world where life was slower and more simpler, Walt Disney World was unlike anywhere else.

Bocabear

As Marcel Proust said, “Remembrance of things past is not necessarily the remembrance of things as they were.” It's rather clear that the nostalgia expressed here is for a place that never existed. Thomas Wolfe said it best, "You can't go home again".

Rant all you want about how things were better at WDW in the 70's, 80's or 90's. Fact of the matter is WDW is better now than ever.
Well... parts of it are... parts of it are not. If you never went to the Magic Kingdom when they had the skyway and the submarines, then you really missed something that can't be explained.. 20,000 leagues was more than the sum of it's parts. Visually spectacular from every angle, it was as much a beautiful backdrop piece as it was completely unique ride experience. NOTHING new in the Magic Kingdom can compare with that alone. EPCOT was a world of the same. Crazy long experience headliner rides...all of which are pretty much gone now... No, EPCOT today is not at all better than it was then... DHS is more than half shuttered currently after having a good percentage of it's attractions closed... No, it is not at all better than it was...Hopefully it will be when it is finished...
so anyway, no you are completely wrong... it is not better now than it has ever been in the parks.
Different maybe,,,but not better.

Bacon

Before this thread hits 100+ pages....

How about some much needed love in repairing the Main Street station penny arcade machines. It's one of those unique things that make Disney unique, and by the 50th, need be refurbished...
The ones at the train station? Nah there's more important BIGGER projects that need to be taken care of before that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom