5/15 - 5/24/2003 WDW Trip Report

Hi!!

Sorry it took us so long to let you know we’re here and having a wonderful time!

Our cast of characters are: Daddy (Mel)
Mommy (Deb)
Cameron (10)
Codey (8)
Conner (4)

Days of our wonderful, fantastic WDW Vacation:
Friday, May 16 - Saturday, May 17 at the Contemporary Resort
Saturday, May 17 - Saturday, May 24 at Old Key West

TRAVEL & DAY 1 - Thursday, May 15th - Friday, May 16th

We left cold and dreary Pennsylvania Thursday, May 15th in the evening at 5:30 pm. It was cloudy and we were hoping to catch a glimpse of the Lunar Eclipse. It started raining pretty hard around Washington D.C. and continued until about North Carolina. When we reached South Carolina the clouds disappeared and Daddy & I (Mommy) were able to see the last hour or two of the eclipse. It really looked neat & too bad we weren’t able to see the whole thing. Our first sight of WDW was Spaceship Earth & our hearts really started pumping. Travel went really well and we pulled into the Contemporary Resort at 10 am on Friday, May 16th. Today was hot and sunny, with a high of 96 degrees F.

We were expecting to stay in a wing and were thrilled to find out that we were upgraded to a Tower room on the 10th floor with a view of Cinderella’s Castle!!! We checked out the view and quickly changed into our swimming suits to enjoy some time in the pool. The water felt great & the boys enjoyed the water slide. Conner forgot his goggles in our room, but charmed a pair from one of the lifeguards to borrow.

We then headed to the Magic Kingdom using the walking path & it took just a few short moments. We rode It’s a Small World, Snow White, Goofy’s Barnstormer, Haunted Mansion, and Fast Passed Peter Pan.

At 5:30 we took the monorail back to Chef Mickey’s for dinner. We had a wonderful time and the we celebrated Cameron’s 10th birthday and Codey’s 8th birthday. They received Happy Birthday button pins, Birthday placemats, and Birthday cupcakes.

After dinner Cameron and Codey participated in the Kid’s Pin Trading at the Contemporary while Daddy and Conner tried to take our truck over to Old Key West. The boys had a great time trading pins from a huge board of pins and then they had fun checking out the pin collections of the adults who were there to trade. Cameron said, “Mom, I think some of these people are professional pin-traders!!” Daddy & Conner came back tired & disappointed that he couldn’t find Old Key West and since it was getting dark he decided to head back. Daddy headed up to bed, while we hung out and Conner had fun trading a few pins. At 9 pm we headed up to our room and checked out the view from the room. Since Magic Kingdom closed at 7 pm there were no fireworks, but we enjoyed watching some of the Electric Water Pageant, which we’ve never seen on our previous visits. The boys got tucked into bed and I opened the curtains all the way. They had pleasant dreams with a full view of Cinderella’s Castle from the comforts of their bed!!! What a magical time! J We discovered that Cinderella’s Castle and many of the attractions stayed lit throughout the night.

We are keeping a really cool Disney Autograph Book!! This is our fourth WDW trip and instead of doing the traditional autographs in the little WDW books we decided to do something different. Mommy put together a 12”x12” Cranberry Red Creative Memories Album to take along. We put in all of our pictures with the characters from 1989 (before we were married), 1992 (where we brought Cameron home as a souvenier), 1997, 2000, and 2002.

We met the following 20 characters this day!! Queen of Hearts, Foulfellow, Cruella DeVil (at Character Festival in Fantasyland), Max (1st time!) , Goofy, Suzy, Perla, Pinocchio, and Gepetto (at the Hub), Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dum, Mr. Smee (at Town Square), and Mickey, Donald, Minnie, Chip, Dale, and Launchpad McQuack (at Chef Mickey’s). Mommy said a quick, “Hi!” to a CM she met back home in PA. She was busy helping Mickey Mouse in Town Square, so we had to keep it short, but I hope to see her again to show her our cool Disney Autograph Book!!

CamCodey

Original Poster
DAY 2 - Saturday, May 17th

We checked out at 7am and drove our truck over to MGM Studios for our much-anticipated Star Wars Weekend Adventure!! We arrived before the park started admitting guests and found out that the line for guests staying on property allowed to enter for the Extra Magic Hour were on the opposite side to the right. Since the Star Wars festivities didn’t start until 9 am and Mommy didn’t feel like standing in line for 4 hours to meet the characters that portrayed Lando Calrissian (Billy Dee Williams), C-3PO (Anthony Daniels), and Aurra Sing (Michonne Bourriague)(NOTE: Later we found out that we should have gone over to receive wrist bands to see them!! Too bad, maybe next time. L BUT, we were able to receive a wrist band to see Michonne!) we headed over to ride Tower of Terror (ToT) and Rock’n Roller Coaster (RnR). Daddy took Cameron and Codey (his first time) to RnR two times, since Mommy wasn’t allowed to ride because of her recently protruding and bulging discs in her neck. During Codey’s first ride on RnR he kept saying, “I’m going to die! I’m going to die!“ I was feeling pretty good and decided to attempt ToT. All I can say is, “It is really cool!” We can’t wait to ride it again!! We then headed over to the Star Tours area. I signed Cameron and Codey up for the JedI Mind Challenge. They were up on stage answering questions based on the Star Wars films. I didn’t even know the answer to many of these difficult questions. Never fear though, EVERYONE who participated went away with a way cool Star Wars gift! We enjoyed watching the Star Wars Parade.

We met the following Star Wars characters: Luke, Leia, Mace Windu, Han Solo, Bobbo Fett, Sam Wesell, Queen Amedala, Tuskin Raiders, the musical guys from the saloon on Tatooine (New Hope), and Michonne, who portrayed Aurra Sing in Attack of the Clones (she was the bounty hunter who over-saw the pod race - girl with the long red pony tail sticking out the top of her head). We also met the Queen from Snow White and Conner asked, “Have you seen Snow White?” The Queen replied, “Will you tell me where she is?” We said, “No, Conner, you don’t want to let HER know where she is!!” J

The weather today was really hot and sunny with a high around 95 (we’re guessing). We went on Star Tours, and had a lot of fun at the Star Wars Edition of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, Play It! Around 2 pm we headed over to OKW to check-in. Daddy & I took short naps and then around 4 pm we headed back to MGM for a ride on the Back Stage Tour and saw Muppet Vision 3-D. The clouds moved in around 5 helped the weather be much more comfortable.

It was about 7:30 pm when we headed over to Magic Kingdom. We found a spot in Frontierland to watch Spectromagic! and enjoyed snacks from Pecos Bills. After the parade we headed over to Splash Mountain Photos to exchange our E-Ride passes for wrist bands. The boys were really excited for their first E-Ride experience. We rode Splash Mountain (x2), Big Thunder Mt. RR (x2), Haunted Mansion, Space Mt., Buzz Lightyear (x4) (Conner got more than 300,000 points!!), TTA, and Cameron & Mommy hit Alien Encounter (NOT one of Cameron’s favorites, but he lived). It was 1:45 am when we started to head back to our new home and Conner finally conked for the night. We had a complete ball!!

CamCodey

Original Poster
DAY 3 - Sunday, May 18th

We slept in until 8 am and headed to Magic Kingdom for breakfast at the Crystal Palace with Pooh, Eeyore, Tigger & Piglet at 10 am. Everyone really enjoyed looking at our new Disney Autograph Book. It was again quite hot in the morning early afternoon. We rode on Alladin’s Magic Carpet and met the following characters: Captain Hook, Peter Pan (1st time!), and Aladdin.

We then headed over to Epcot. As we were entering the park Conner said, “Mommy, I’m bleeding!” I looked down to see him holding a tooth! Conner had lost his first tooth (front bottom left) entering Epcot!! What a truly Magical Moment! Mommy went around to the all the countries we visited and collected items to place under Conner’s pillow from the Tooth Fairy (& a little added pixie dust from Tinker Bell, Too!) Clouds moved in around 5 pm again with a few drops of rain & made it another comfortable evening. We rode on Test Track, Mexico, Maelstrom (x2), Universe of Energy, Spaceship Earth & Cranium Command. We enjoyed watching Illuminations and enjoyed the millennium music, as always. We miss Tapestry of Dreams, but will keep it in our memories forever.

CamCodey

Original Poster
DAY 4 - Monday, May 19th

This morning we headed over to Animal Kingdom. We enjoyed breakfast at Donald’s Breakfastosaurus and added Pluto’s autograph to our book. We also met Baloo (Africa), Stanley (1st time), Pocahontas, Flik (Conservation Station), and Liverlips (exit).

We rode Kali River Rapids, Primeval Whirl (2x), Triceritops Spin (2x), Kilimanjaro Safari, and Festival of the Lion King. While we were at Conservation Station we found out that a new “surprise” baby hippo was added to the family at Animal Kingdom on Sunday morning, May 18th!! While on a tour one of the drivers noticed that one of the hippos was acting strangly. She stopped and called the vet from her vehicle. The vets arrived just in time to see the new one’s arrival!! About 80 thrilled guests on the safari witnessed this once-in-a-lifetime magical moment!!

After Animal Kingdom closed we were hoping to go to Downtown Disney, but a large storm with lots of heavy rain, thunder & lightning moved in for the rest of the evening. So that’s how I was finally able to “check-in”! J It’s now 9 pm and we’re tucking the boys in for an early morning. I hope to give an update another time before heading for home (we decided to stay until Saturday am instead of Friday pm since the 17 hour drive wasn’t as bad as we expected!) T.T.F.N.!!

GrumpysGal

Wow! Your time there seems so sweet...You seem like a very cool Mommy!! Keep having fun...Can't wait to hear more! And the scrapbook idea is a great one. And judging by your "journaling", I can tell you are a fellow "Scrapper"! Very creative. A treasure to keep forever!

*Erika*

LouDisney

I love reading trip reports. I could read them all day. I can't wait to get back to WDW. I want to jump in the car today and go!!!

bears163

trip reports are the best. i am also from pa just a few minutes south of you (CamCodey). can't wait to hear the rest of your trip.

steve

Mr. Toad

Reading this trip report is really getting me fired up for our trip (only two more weeks from today :sohappy: ).

I'm actually glad that I have a ton of work to get done at the office. It's making the time go by nice and quick. A little extra stress but worth it to make the time fly.

CamCodey

Original Poster
DAY 5 - Tuesday, May 20th

Hi!

Sorry I haven't gotten on. I've been fighting with AOL (miss my Comcast!) Hopefully I'll get caught up before I get knocked off again.

This morning we rose early and headed to Magic Kingdom for breakfast at Cinderella’s Castle. We had PS’s for the first time on our lvacation last year, BUT I got sick and wasn’t able to make it. I was excited that nothing hindered this year’s experience! We arrived at 7:30 and had an 8:15 am PS. We waited at the gate until 8 am before anyone was let into the park. We took a few pics on Main Street and then headed to Cindy’s. I was a little nervous that our PS was for 4 and not 5. The CM at the desk said that we might have a delay because of the discrepancy. To our delight we were seated promptly! We met Cinderella, Mary Poppins, Belle, Snow White, AND Sleeping Beauty!! The meal was delicious & I was tempted to ask for seconds of the Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast. We were anxious to meet the Fairy Godmother (never met her before), but the line was pretty long and we knew we could see her again another day. She is available for pics & autographs until about 10:30 am. We then hit Dumbo, Peter Pan, Splash Mt., Big Thunder Mt. RR (x2) all by 10:30. We met Princess Jasmine in Adventureland. We then headed for Town Square for characters and wow, we weren’t disappointed! We met Timon, Daisy Duck, Wendy (1st time), Meeko, Gov. Ratcliffe, Robin Hood (1st time), Prince John, White Rabbit, Clopin (1st time), and Dopey!!! Daddy, Cameron & Codey hit Space Mt. While Conner & I went to the Barber Shop to get my bangs trimmed. I used to have shoulder-length hair until Cameron was born in 1993, when I got it cut short. I splurged and asked if I could have it French-braided, but wasn’t sure if my hair was long enough. Maura said, “This is a Barber Shop not Fantasyland!” LOL She said o.k. and quickly French-braided two braids like Speedy Gonzalez. (She said that I was lucky she was there, because she’s the only hairstylist who would do it.)

It was now about 1 pm and we decided to spend the rest of the day at MGM. We met Meg near the Sorceror’s Hat. We then saw Mike & Sulley on Commissary Lane. We enjoyed pizza & salad at Pizza Planet and the boys played a few arcade games. We then hit Star Tours and Indiana Jones, where we met Indiana Jones & the Plane Mechanic. The opening scene was broken down, but it was still a great experience, as always. A CM took our autograph book backstage and Marion signed it leaving a kiss impression! LOL Next we experienced Drew Carey, one of the boys‘ favs. Cameron & I then headed for Millionaire while Daddy took Codey & Conner to play in the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Adventure Set. We then met Woody, Buzz, and Jesse at Al’s Toy Barn. Daddy, Cameron, and Codey then rode RnR, while Conner & I rode ToT. Conner vowed that that would be his last ToT ride experience, but we’ll see. We then met together to watch the 7:15 pm performance of Beauty & the Beast and I balled, of course. It was now about 7:45 and we headed for a spot at Fantasmic! We were thinking that we weren’t going to get very good seats, but found an opening in the second row just left of dead center!! It was a standing room only show. The water spray wasn’t that bad at all. Another unforgettable show!! J It’s now after 11 pm as I’m typing this and we need to hit our pillows for yet another early rise tomorrow am.

CamCodey

Original Poster
DAY 6 - Wednesday, May 21st

This morning we headed for Early Entry at Epcot. Characters met us on the other side of Spaceship Earth. Terk played “Monkey See - Monkey Do” with Conner. We rode Test Track (2x), went into Innovations for a while and then headed over to the Land. We experienced Food Rocks, Living With the Land, and Timon & Pumbaa. Cameron wanted to visit the Passholder’s lounge, but we were disappointed to find that it was closed. We went to the Imagination pavilion for Figment and Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. We found the Dog-Gone Maze and the boys weren’t really impressed. They thought it would be a more elaborate maze. We visited all of the countries and Cameron did the passport while Codey & Conner made their Kidcot masks. We met Bell & the Beast in France, Aladdin and Jasmine in Morocco, and we had fun watching the Living Statue in Italy. During our picture the Living Statue picked up Conner by the back of his shirt! J We enjoyed dinner at the Biergarten in Germany at 3:45. Conner fell asleep after taking a bite or two (our waitress didn’t charge us for him). The entertainment didn’t start until 4:45, but the few songs we experienced were great fun. We rode on TT and then headed out to Downtown Disney. We were told that we could catch a bus to DD at Ticket & Trans. Center (TTC) so we took the monorail. (NOTE: There is NO bus to DD at TTC! If you are a resort guest just go to any resort and catch the DD bus from there.) The boys had a ball in Once Upon a Toy Store and since it was Game Night it was an added bonus. The highlight of the evening was when Cameron, Codey & Mel played “Human Sorry”. Daddy won! We then checked out all the pins at Pin Central. After an eventful day we found the boat back to Old Key West and the boys had a ball with our captain, Eddie. The weather today was very nice. In the mid 80’s we think, partly sunny with low humidity.

CamCodey

Original Poster
DAY 7 - May 22nd

Today was another early rise and we left our villa at 7:25 to head for Magic Kingdom for Early Entry. We were planning on riding Peter Pan & Dumbo first thing, but when we got to the other side of castle Conner informed us he needed to find a restroom. We decided to head down to the one near Tea Cups and then hit Indy Speedway (you know how HOT it can get standing in the long line later in the day). We then headed up to ride the Tea Cups and Snow White’s Adventures & sought out the Fairy Godmother at the castle to meet her for the first time. It was now about 9am so we headed toward Frontierland for the rope drop for Splash Mt. (2x) (Mel kept his eyes open for the first time!) and Big Thunder Mt. While in line for Splash I talked Mel into staying here until Saturday evening instead of leaving early Sat. am (We were originally going to head back Friday evening! It’s great being able to extend our visit since we’re driving!!) It was now time for Cinderella’s Surprise Celebration at 10. Codey and Conner really liked it, especially when Mulan “blew up” Shan-Yu! LOL We headed to see if there were any new characters at Town Square and we were in luck! We met Rebecca (Becky) Cunningham from the TV Series Tale Spins! We didn’t even know that she made appearances!! We then headed over to the Polynesian for our first breakfast at O’Hana’s. It was a really neat experience and the boys ate about 3 Mickey waffles each! J We headed back to the Magic Kingdom and met another new character at Town Square…Sheriff of Nottingham! We decided on our plan of action & headed for Tomorrowland. We rode Buzz Lightyear’s (2x), Space Mt. & TTA (2x) (I heard “Paging Mr. Tom Morrow!” We then went to Toontown Fair and rode Goofy’s Barnstormer (2x). At this point it was drizzling on and off and we rode the Railroad to head over to Frontierland. We saw the high school band end at Main Street and as we started for Frontierland the skies let loose and it started to rain Figero’s & Pluto’s!! J We were going to see Country Bear’s, but it was closed since the parade was about to start. It stopped raining and we decided to watch the 3pm parade and Codey & Conner were thrilled (they forgot that this is the only time they’d see Peter Pan’s Lost Boys all week!) It started to rain just as the abbreviated parade ended. I couldn’t imagine being in the parade during a downpour! Is there any way to “bail out” in the middle of the parade? It then started to downpour and we ran to Country Bear Jamboree. We had our stroller covered with a plastic casket cover (dh works for a casket company) that covers the stroller good. Unfortunately it was moved a little and our stroller got a little soggy (including the scrapbook, but it was ok, since I had it covered really well with plastic). The rain had again subsided & we headed for Adventureland. We rode Aladdin’s Magic Carpets, Jungle Cruise, and Pirates. When we exited Pirates we found that it again was raining Figero’s & Pluto’s so much that we couldn’t even risk running across the walkway!! J It finally subsided enough & I was hungry for a Taco Salad, but found El Pirata closed, so we headed to Pecos Bill’s. During dinner I mentioned that I was tired and Mel told Cameron, “Mommy hasn’t slept all week! During the nights she gets everything ready for the next day. Don’t you have clean clothes everyday? (I do laundry every day).” Cameron replied, “ ……. “ Codey was hoping for a Haunted Mansion shirt, but since it was raining the stand was closed. The thunder was again approaching and it was 6 pm, so we decided to head for the exit. We got to the Emporium & the skied opened up yet again. We browsed around for quite awhile until it finally slowed around 7 pm to head for our bus to go back to our comfy villa. Cameron was cold in the am so I turned the AC off & was thankful that it wasn’t freezing when we got back since we were wet. It is now 8:40 and Mel left at 7:30 to head for Downtown Disney to purchase Star Wars Stratego for Cameron & to redeem our certificates for 2 free Kellogg’s Pins (look on the sides of Kellogg’s cereal boxes for certificates for free pins that can either be redeemed at Downtown Disney or in the mail). Mel finally made it back at 8:45 and now he & Cameron are having fun with their new game. I’m hoping to head to bed early tonight. Tomorrow we head to MGM Studios for another exciting Star Wars day.

I know that everyone has been praying for me, because my neck hasn't been bothering me all week! :) The only rides I have not attempted have been Space Mt. and RnR. I'm going to take a nice hot shower & head for bed. Hopefully I'll be able to check in tomorrow night.

Have a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Day!!
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

oochr1soo

sounds like na awesome trip.. man reading these just intesifys my wanting to book my disney vacation even more.. ahhh!.. if it wasnt for money id be booked..

chris

Invero

Re: DAY 6 - Wednesday, May 21st

Originally posted by CamCodey
We were told that we could catch a bus to DD at Ticket & Trans. Center (TTC) so we took the monorail. (NOTE: There is NO bus to DD at TTC! If you are a resort guest just go to any resort and catch the DD bus from there.)

Never trust anyone about Bus Info unless they're wearing purple pants. Sounds silly, but it's true. *sigh*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom