4th Gate General (Rumors/News/Speculation)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I could see them building an elevated transport system between the 2 sites in the form of a gondola, or something similar. People love gondola rides, and they would be changing an annoying chore (taking a bus) into a desirable experience. It would also be cheaper and less disruptive to construct than a monorail,and a fleet of buses on those roads would be a nightmare.
And kids nowadays just love to throw stuff on people down below. Yeah, great idea. Why do you think it went away at Disney?

AJO

And kids nowadays just love to throw stuff on people down below. Yeah, great idea. Why do you think it went away at Disney?

Well, it actually still exists at Disney as a chairlift at Blizzard Beach. But, they could make large air-conditioned cabs with windows that don't open. They could have perforated windows, or screen windows instead. They could install netting under the lift. They could have cameras put in. Point is, that's hardly an insurmountable design challenge.

ArchieAndrews

Original Poster
Well, it actually still exists at Disney as a chairlift at Blizzard Beach. But, they could make large air-conditioned cabs with windows that don't open. They could have perforated windows, or screen windows instead. They could install netting under the lift. They could have cameras put in. Point is, that's hardly an insurmountable design challenge.
I feel that the time it would take for the chair lift to get there would very much hurt this idea from existing. More importantly the fact that it would be a lot harder to monitor somebody in a gondola and if something did go wrong it would be really hard to access them. Stuff like that is also very weather permitted, the monorails are designed to be able to run in any sort of weather, something like that I can't imagine being the same deal.

trr1

I feel that the time it would take for the chair lift to get there would very much hurt this idea from existing. More importantly the fact that it would be a lot harder to monitor somebody in a gondola and if something did go wrong it would be really hard to access them. Stuff like that is also very weather permitted, the monorails are designed to be able to run in any sort of weather, something like that I can't imagine being the same deal.
I think that the ULTra like they have at Heathrow airport and Amritsar would work nice.
As a basic guide, a complete Ultra pod system, including guideway, stations, vehicles and control systems will cost approximately between $7-$15 million US dollars per km to construct, however individual project costs can vary considerably depending on factors relating to the surrounding environmental setting, integration requirements and the expected system usage.

culturenthrills

I think at the bare minimum you are gonna see express bus lanes built on Universal Blvd. I think whether we get some sort of light rail/monorail will depend on whatever deal UNI and Orange County make over who pays for what. But I could definetly see bus lanes built from the Universal Parking Garage down Universal Blvd running to the new park and the Convention Center. They will have to do something because once that new park opens and more resorts are built along Universal Blvd its gonna become a traffic problem like I Drive.

JT3000

I don't know about that. Comes down to money and what Universal will be building on the new land will cost a lot of money if it is built. Barring more land purchases which I think there may be some? I think something better then a bus would be use to give a guests a different experience other then out of the park and we're in a not classy part of Orlando. Especially foreign guests would like this this. At WDW you are never riding a bus in a real city location, not that great of a view but not what you could possible see around Universal. LOL.

I don't know whether or not they'll settle for buses. My point was that even if they do build some sort of fancy rail system, I wouldn't expect it to be any more of a themed experience than the monorail. And it honestly doesn't need to be. While the area immediately surrounding Universal (which guests already saw on the way in) could use some work, there's really nothing wrong with the stretch of road the new park(s) would be on. Of course, I'm used to seeing it since I live on the other end of it. But if guests have a problem with seeing a few hotels, a convention center, and other tourist traps, while already visiting a tourist trap, they're too picky.

matt9112

Really? From what I understand, Escape from Gringott's was really watered down and shortened compared to what it was initially planned. Universal has done some great things this decade, but I wouldn't say they have gone all out. Even after reading your email, I still don't see the final transportation product being anything more interesting than buses. If Universal builds a great 4th gate, the guests will go. I can't see attendance being any higher if the transportation there is "cooler" than buses ... and when Universal see the relative costs (i.e. the buses will be cheaper), I am confident they will come to the same conclusion.

In some cases it has shown that uni will do things just to burn Disney so to speak if they can. i think an elevated transport would make some sense....not Disney monorail style...just an eye pleasing elevated train system of sorts. by itself it makes no sense but wrapped into creating a bubble connecting 4 parks? plus if they get the county to drop coin on it too?

matt9112

Who exactly is behind that proposal? Someone is planning a big clean up of the area and they wouldn't be doing that unless they wanted to be ready to develop. Question is who is doing this? The land is broken up into different owners, correct? Is it the State who's picking up the tab or the federal government?

Someone is getting the area ready. Not sure exactly how the super fund works but is it just a matter of Universal is planning something big so the super fund has a reason to clean up the area? I know some super sites just get left to sit there because there is no immediate danger or reason to do much of anything.

OK doing a little Goggling, https://www.epa.gov/brownfields

Looks like someone is after a grant, not sure who exactly. https://www.epa.gov/brownfields/types-brownfields-grant-funding#tab-5

This going to take a little while to figure out what is going on.

Just wondering has anyone looked around a real estate sales in that area and has any other property been sold in the last couple of years?

Technically wasn't the universal purchase the most recent activity around there?

Jimmy Thick

When Universal Blvd. was built, it was designed to incorporate an elevated transportation system down the median.

Universal Blvd. had to be fought for tooth and nail by the person who designed it, and it was designed, by a legend and genius, for a lot of future developments.

I just don't think people realize just how a simple road can be so incredibly important.

BubbaQuest

I think it was always known the area was a Superfund site because of Lockheed Martin. But I'm surprised the only area in the notice is the area not owned by Universal.

If the rumors are true that Uni wants to build a transport corridor between the 4 smaller sites, I wonder if they are paying for the environmental work in hopes the county will give them a transport right-of-way over the unincorporated areas.

Jimmy Thick

Here is a nugget.

There will be no kind of monorail.

Anyone saying anything like that is uninformed, trolling or outright lying.

What you could see is two more parks, a theme park and another water park with up to five more resorts including another value resort in all that new land, right off Universal Blvd.

Five parks would make Uni a week long vacation destination, which is more of a short term goal than one might think.

Jimmy Thick- Star Wars land will have competition and we all win.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom