4 year old stroller/rental ?

guatemama

Original Poster
Hi, is it worth taking a stroller for a 4 year old, soon to be 5 or just rent one? If you have a DW Visa can you rent them free? She still uses hers when we are out and about. She is out growing hers though so if we should take one what is a good one for someone 4, she weighs 30 lbs.

Thanks, Susan

Jessie&Buzz

I would take yours. We took ours last Dec when my son was almost 4. He was more comfortable in his own and even napped a couple times. I don't know about renting one with the Disney Visa. We don't have one.

Phonedave

I will give the good 'ol "it depends" answer.

When my daughters were around that age I did not bring their strollers. For me it was a lot easier. My kids at that age walked most days. On some long days I did get a stroller. It was just easier for me not to have to the thing in the room, dragged on the bus, and when my kids did not need one, to have to push it around. Your kids may be more "stroller kids". I had mine out and walking as soon as they were able. It's all personal prefrences.

I also have a Disney Visa and have never heard of a stroller discount with one, but then that just may mean I was not listenting :D

-dave

LuLaSue

I do remember reading somewhere that there is a discount on stroller rentals in WDW when using Disney Visa. I can't remember where I am going to see if I could find it for you. Just remember one thing, the rental strollers are that hard plastic, I would think uncomfortable for napping :shrug:, I can't really say I don't have kids. Try calling Disney or Visa, they should have the correct information on that.

mary219

I brought a stroller when my kids were 4 and 3.At home the 4 year old did not use it.At disney they were fighting over it.It will make it easier than listening to them complain when they get real tired.

mouselvrmom

The Disney Visa cardholder free stroller rental is for Disneyland, not WDW. :wave:

Thanks so much for posting this! I know I had heard about the stroller rental thing with my visa but I kind of tuned it out because we usually bring our own. However, in dl I don't think we will need a stroller much, so we may just do this free stroller thing when we need it for my 3 year old instead of bringing our own. Thanks, you just saved us a lot of hassle. :wave:

C.M.O

I am bringing my own for my 4.5 year old daughter. I know she will use it and I have a Mcclaine Umbrella stroller so its not big like the ones at the park, eaiser to get around. If you bring your own you can also use it if you have a long walk from the bus stop to your room and you don't have to wait in line to rent one.

momofnine

Just got back from disneyworld. We have a 3 and 5 year old, we took our own double stroller. The strollers at the parks are a hard plastic, not very comfortable. I recommend taking a stroller because the kids get very tired and unless you want to carry them alot, a stroller is helpful. They can fall asleep in one also. The monorails and buses are very easy to get on and off of with a stroller. on the monorails, you don't even have to take it down, great if they are sleeping! The larger boats let you leave them up also. Hope this helps, have a great time.:wave:

mousefan1972

Thanks so much for posting this! I know I had heard about the stroller rental thing with my visa but I kind of tuned it out because we usually bring our own. However, in dl I don't think we will need a stroller much, so we may just do this free stroller thing when we need it for my 3 year old instead of bringing our own. Thanks, you just saved us a lot of hassle. :wave:

You're very welcome. :animwink:
Hope you have a wonderful trip!!

Phonedave

I do remember reading somewhere that there is a discount on stroller rentals in WDW when using Disney Visa. I can't remember where I am going to see if I could find it for you. Just remember one thing, the rental strollers are that hard plastic, I would think uncomfortable for napping :shrug:, I can't really say I don't have kids. Try calling Disney or Visa, they should have the correct information on that.

Again, you can say "it depends" but my kids fell asleep in them just fine. But I would wager my kids could fall asleep on pile of broken concrete.

I think the oldest my kids were when I had a stroller was 4, maybe 5, I am not sure.

-dave

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Random bit of stroller labeling advice

A lot of people label strollers with names and those don't stand out too well. So..I thought about this and printed out a picture of my kids on a full sized 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. I then put the paper in a protective plastic sheet designed for reports. The plastic sheet had 3 holes in it for a notebook. I used 2 of the 3 holes and tie wrapped the sheet to the handle of the stroller. It really made our stroller stand out and simplified finding it.

happymom52003

A lot of people label strollers with names and those don't stand out too well. So..I thought about this and printed out a picture of my kids on a full sized 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. I then put the paper in a protective plastic sheet designed for reports. The plastic sheet had 3 holes in it for a notebook. I used 2 of the 3 holes and tie wrapped the sheet to the handle of the stroller. It really made our stroller stand out and simplified finding it.

You are right, it really does make it SOOO much easier to find your stroller if you do something like that, especially since 9 out of 10 times the CMs move the strollers around when you are on a ride. I bought a couple of bright, UGLY scarves from Target and tie them to our stollers. You can see them from a mile away!

mofrazier05

When we visited in May 07, we brought our own double stroller. It was conveinient and we flowed through the parks plus the kids we comfortable. We went back in Aug 07 and rented a double stroller-NEVER again! Trying to park hop with a 2 & 4 year old, switching out the strollers from park to park!! It rained for 3 days straight and in MK we had to keep switching out strollers because they kept getting wet!!! Bring your own!!!:lol:

wdwmomof3

I would take my own before I rented one. You are not going to want to stop and take the time to rent one and all of that. Plus, I found that it was nice for them to be able to sit in it while we waited at the resort for the bus or ride in it back to the room at the end of the day. It's not any trouble to take you own.:)

peemagg

Here is a tip for those of you taking 2 or more strollers. What we are doing to keep our 3 strollers together when we are on rides is getting 2 really big "D" clips. We can now put the strollers side by side and clip them together. This will help us to identify and find ours much easier. Something else we are doing is tying on the handle some of those Disney paint chips from Home Depot. I got several different colors and strung them on a piece of string and put the kids first initial and spelled out the last name. They are colorful and should make it even easier to find in the stroller corral areas.

mofrazier05

Here is a tip for those of you taking 2 or more strollers. What we are doing to keep our 3 strollers together when we are on rides is getting 2 really big "D" clips. We can now put the strollers side by side and clip them together. This will help us to identify and find ours much easier. Something else we are doing is tying on the handle some of those Disney paint chips from Home Depot. I got several different colors and strung them on a piece of string and put the kids first initial and spelled out the last name. They are colorful and should make it even easier to find in the stroller corral areas.

Disney paint chips? Sounds like a good idea-THANKS!!!:D

just a random suggestion,

i was just able to purchase (on clearance :eek:!) a Maclaren Volo stroller. I needed this stroller because i have two children who are little giants. Both of my kids are above the 95% for height and are pretty solid (they are 4 and 19 months). This causes a lot of problems for us. At home, neither one particularly likes strollers, but at WDW it's a different story.
I digress....anyway the Volo stroller is as light as an umbrella stroller with a handy carry strap for when it's folded. The thing about them is that is holds up to 55 lbs. That's one of the highest weight allowances i've seen on a stroller (another Maclaren goes to 65lbs., but is bigger and WAY more expensive). Anyway, I think it's a great idea for people who may be in the same boat as me with big kids that still need strollers...combined my kids are like 79lbs. and not even double strollers usually go up that high/

I don't anyone to think my kids are some kind of giant freaks so here's some pics....

dsc019612bi9.jpg

dsc025561uo2.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom