4 year old boy - tips, tricks, must-dos!

Noelle

Original Poster
We are taking our son for his first trip to Disney world for his 4th birthday, first week of December 2016. What are the must-dos, any secrets, tips, tricks? Things to avoid (besides the rides that may be too scary) also, what's the weather like at that time? Should we bring our own stroller or rent one? Any and all advice appreciated!

Schneewittchen

I've been taking my kids to WDW since they were infants, they were 4 and 6 for our last trip, will be 5 and 7 for our next this spring. To be fair, we are park commandos, so you may not be able to push your kids as hard as we do. Stuff to consider:
1. Get to your park at rope drop.
2. Get a free it's my birthday pin. City Hall in MK has them. Guest Services at the other parks.
3. Do quick service lunches and eat before noon.
4. A lot of people like to go to their rooms in the afternoon. I say forget that, book FPs in the afternoon, visit rides without lines (CoP, Stitch, Swiss Family Robinson, Liberty Belle and Tom Sawyer Island, Philharmagic, etc., Epcot movies, American Experience).
5. Have a table service dinner with AC. Take your time. Rest your feet.
6. Wear comfortable sneakers. No crocs, flip flops, sandals, etc.
7. Bring your grossest rusty umbrella stroller. Ditch it in a marked stroller lot in the AM and come get it at night when your kid is ready to pass out after the fireworks.
8. Kids in costumes tend to get special attention from CMs. So you might want to let him dress up.
9. Book a character meal. He'll love you forever.

We used to visit Florida around that time of year. The lows are in the low 50s, highs in the mid 70s. If it rains, it might be cooler. You might want to bring a sweatshirt or sweater for the early morning or be ready to buy one while you're in a park. But the weather could turn out really nice, so be sure to have sunglasses too.

G8rchamps

First thoughts....
Find out early if he likes characters, some kids are scared of them and character visiting will need to be accounted for in your plan.
Hair Cut at Main St barber shop.
My son got to decorate his own rice krispy treat once at Big Top Souvenirs
Pirates league at Pirates of the Caribbean (Reservation) - or-
A Pirate's Adventure ~ Treasures of the Seven Seas. You get a map and find clues around adventureland - each mission has some sort of final effect/scene.
Stroller - yes. Learn where to park and be ready for cast members to move it as they line up all the strollers. If you have your own or rent outside the park then you have it everywhere - you will have to fold it for Disney bus or tram transports.

Schneewittchen

First thoughts....
Find out early if he likes characters, some kids are scared of them and character visiting will need to be accounted for in your plan.
Great point. A test run with life size characters and animatronics can usually be done at the local Chuck E Cheese. Or crummy local amusement park.

Noelle

Original Poster
I've been taking my kids to WDW since they were infants, they were 4 and 6 for our last trip, will be 5 and 7 for our next this spring. To be fair, we are park commandos, so you may not be able to push your kids as hard as we do. Stuff to consider:
1. Get to your park at rope drop.
2. Get a free it's my birthday pin. City Hall in MK has them. Guest Services at the other parks.
3. Do quick service lunches and eat before noon.
4. A lot of people like to go to their rooms in the afternoon. I say forget that, book FPs in the afternoon, visit rides without lines (CoP, Stitch, Swiss Family Robinson, Liberty Belle and Tom Sawyer Island, Philharmagic, etc., Epcot movies, American Experience).
5. Have a table service dinner with AC. Take your time. Rest your feet.
6. Wear comfortable sneakers. No crocs, flip flops, sandals, etc.
7. Bring your grossest rusty umbrella stroller. Ditch it in a marked stroller lot in the AM and come get it at night when your kid is ready to pass out after the fireworks.
8. Kids in costumes tend to get special attention from CMs. So you might want to let him dress up.
9. Book a character meal. He'll love you forever.

We used to visit Florida around that time of year. The lows are in the low 50s, highs in the mid 70s. If it rains, it might be cooler. You might want to bring a sweatshirt or sweater for the early morning or be ready to buy one while you're in a park. But the weather could turn out really nice, so be sure to have sunglasses too.
Thank u! Totally along the lines of what we're thinking - my husband is all about the afternoon stroller nap as opposed to the afternoon break at the hotel. We will play it by ear - no pun intended! My son likes to give characters a high-five, and so I've got Crystal Plaza, Hollywood & Vine (Disney Jr) and Chef Mickey lined up. I also booked the Pirates and Pals fireworks cruise - any feedback on that?

Noelle

Original Poster
First thoughts....
Hair Cut at Main St barber shop.
My son got to decorate his own rice krispy treat once at Big Top Souvenirs
Pirates league at Pirates of the Caribbean (Reservation) - or-
A Pirate's Adventure ~ Treasures of the Seven Seas. You get a map and find clues around adventureland - each mission has some sort of final effect/scene.
Stroller - yes. Learn where to park and be ready for cast members to move it as they line up all the strollers. If you have your own or rent outside the park then you have it everywhere - you will have to fold it for Disney bus or tram transports.
Thank u! I love the haircut idea! I wasnt sure if he was too young for the Pirates League - maybe wait a year or so before I fork over the cash for that one?

G8rchamps

Thank u! I love the haircut idea! I wasnt sure if he was too young for the Pirates League - maybe wait a year or so before I fork over the cash for that one?
4 could be on the younger side- esp given the extra cost.

My son likes to give characters a high-five
We have purchased the Mickey gloves and our whole family will give the high FOUR after rope drop walking up Main St in the morning.

Noelle

Original Poster
4 could be on the younger side- esp given the extra cost.

We have purchased the Mickey gloves and our whole family will give the high FOUR after rope drop walking up Main St in the morning.
I love this!! Adding it to my must-buy list!

Schneewittchen

Thank u! Totally along the lines of what we're thinking - my husband is all about the afternoon stroller nap as opposed to the afternoon break at the hotel. We will play it by ear - no pun intended! My son likes to give characters a high-five, and so I've got Crystal Plaza, Hollywood & Vine (Disney Jr) and Chef Mickey lined up. I also booked the Pirates and Pals fireworks cruise - any feedback on that?

Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's are great character meals, my kids love them both.
Mickey's Backyard BBQ is another great character interaction option. Dancing with Mickey and Minnie was so much fun for them.

TDGMedley

My son loved mickeys back yard BBQ getting to dance the characters was a huge hit and the whole family enjoyed it. He also Loved the fireworks at Epcot he was clapping and cheering for more. We got a fastpass for it. i would say try the Very marry Christmas party we did it but it rained on us so we did not get the full enjoyment I had a baby also with us and didnt want her to get wet. Hope he has a great time and birthday it will be a trip to remember. oh and on the stroller if you are driving i say bring your own it will be more comfortable. But if your flying i say rent the airlines broke my stroller and pieces were missing and i just bought for that trip.

Gaston's gal

If he likes Star Wars, make sure you make it over to the Jedi Training Academy. You will need to sign up when HS first opens because the spots fill up quickly. Also, if you discover that he does like "characters," take some tiny toys/trinkets to trade with the Jawas. They can be like little bouncy balls or toys that would go in a piñata. I miss the days of going with a little one. Enjoy!

21stamps

I was going to definitely recommend the Disney Jr meal at Hollywood & Vine. Are you doing that one or Minnie's Holiday dine? I vote for the Disney Jr at that age..but can't go wrong either way :)

SAV

Stay away from Stitch's Great Escape in Magic Kingdom. It's a Bug's Life and Dinosaur! in Animal Kingdom. Young children are often scared in all of these.

My son liked playing in the Boneyard at AK. A must see is Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo the Musical. Also see See Flights of Wonder.

Make sure to spend time in the Living Seas pavilion at EPCOT. See Turtle Talk with Crush. Enjoy the aquariums and exhibits.

Make sure to do the KidCot stops at Epcot. Look on the park map for the exact locations, but they are in each of the major "countries" in World Showcase.

carriebeth

I am all about renting strollers from places like Kingdom strollers. A couple years ago the airline totally busted my gate checked brand new over $1000 stroller. The verdict from the airline was "we are responsible for loss but not damage"..yes even when my husband is a very frequent flyer on that particular airline. THis left me without a working stroller for the first day of our trip till we could find a dealer and get replacement parts to fix it. Since it was brand new and purchased online using a VISA card I had buyer protection from VISA and it was refunded, but that did not make up for the hassle of it being broke to begin with. I fear checking my stroller now. This was a beefy well made stroller they managed to mangle. Renting is easy. Do it online. Pick exactly which stroller you want. It will be at your resort whenever you specify...so simple. It does add extra expense to your trip but in they whole scheme of vacation funds, its not that much more, really, and its so convenient. On your last day you just leave your stroller at your resort when you get on the magic express. So easy. Totally recommend. Strollers you rent at the parks are blah. THey don't recline (no napping comfortably) and do not push nice like these rented ones. The cheap your own umbrella option also does not cater to the stroller nap idea. And have you ever pushed one of those things? Awful.

At Magic Kingdom go to Buzz Space Ranger spin at rope drop. RIde over and over and over. Its walk on at that time (not so later in the day) and your kid will love it. Your boy should love the little show in Adventureland that is Captain Jack's Pirate Tutorial. All kids eventually get to go up on stage if they like. Tons of other stuff to do but those are 2 do not miss if you have a boy and will be enjoyed whether he is more adventurous or docile.

At Epcot I suggest Ellen's energy adventure for a boy especially if he likes dinosaurs. Some adults think its corny and stupid and too long but to a 4 year old boy...its Dinosaurs that might as well be real! Everything in the Nemo ride area should interest him too...the ride the aquarium and turtle talk. In the world showcase area there isn't a whole lot that might interest some kids. The little coloring activity stations located throughout are a fun way to keep kids occupied while you get to spend some shopping time etc. Also, some of the entertainment that happens in various countries will be interesting to him like the acrobatic type acts.

At Hollywood starwars loving boys will have a great time. Sign up for Jedi training at rope drop to secure a spot. Fast Pass the Toy Story ride. Meeting Buzz and Woody has always been a top notch experience with great character interaction. They have Disney Jr characters to meet and for a boy meeting Jake could be a dream come true. Eating at Hollywood and Vine in the morning or afternoon will get you a lot of Disney Jr characters. We had breakfast in the past there and enjoyed the food and the experience.

Animal Kingdom has the boneyard playground. You might be thinking a playground really? But my children of many ages adore that place. Its a highlight of their trip! Make sure you find the dig site. Its little pebbles they play in like a sandbox but I don't know why but my childen LOVE it. Plus there are lots of other fun things from slides to water sprayers. I think the Nemo show would be the top choice for a boy that age.

Weather is tricky. We used to go in December and then a couple years ago it was so miserably cold that I hated it. We were buying mittens and footy pajamas for the kids. We wore layers and layers even during the day. I hate being cold. Rather would be hot! I don't ever want to go back in December now. Even on a good Decemeber it may be warm enough to use the pool in the afternoons comfortably, it might not. It can vary from day to day. But count on the nights being chilly to pretty cold. The mornings will start cold too. Layering is good so you can easily adjust through the day as it changes. And bring a blanket for the stroller for watching night shows, fireworks etc for when its quite chilly.

Rsj88

We took my oldest boy when he was four. It was really the perfect age! He loved it so much! First, we usually go late November or early December and love it! The weather is very unpredictable. One year we were in coats hats and gloves, one year we were in shorts, and one year we were in both! Temperatures can very greatly between morning and night so pack for both!
Second, a stroller is a must for us! Don't rent in the park! You will have to return it at the end of the day before you leave. One of the bigest advantages of the stroller is for late nights when you have to wait on the bus. We often enjoyed meandering through the parks and shopping while our son slept in the stroller. We would also leave the park and he would sleep through getting on and off the bus and back in his stroller so we could shop at Disney Springs late. He would be so tired by the end of the day he would sleep through anything and he is a very light sleeper!
Third, bring lots of snacks! He will get tired and overstimulated but eating every two hours or so really helps prevent major meltdowns. When anyone starts getting cranky, I immediately pull out the snacks :)
Forth, things won't go as you planned. You won't get everything done you wanted but take it slow and enjoy each other and the atmosphere. Christmas is such a beautiful time to visit and will put you right in the spirit!
Last, let your son watch videos on YouTube of rides or shows you are unsure he will like. That was very helpful for us!
So here is my advice for each park:
MK:
My son loved the speedway and Buzz. We spent a lot of time in tomorrowland. We let him try the barnstormer to see how he liked roller coasters and then moved on to thunder and splash mountain. He hates water so we brought ponchos for splash. He also really enjoyed the parades. We never left the parks for naps (we are park commandos!) so we would let out son sleep in the stroller while we rode rides (use riders swap). When we got tired we would ride the people mover, COP, or Hall of Presidents. We also like to take the monorail loop when we get tired :) He did not like Haunted Mansion and still won't ride it.
Epcot:
We were surprised to find out that Epcot was his favorite park! This was largely because he was just tall enough for Test Track. He doesn't love trill rides but Test Track is still his all time favorite three years later. He also loved the aquarium area and Turtle Talk with Crush. There is a miniature train set near Germany that is fun to look at and we also spent time playing with the lights in the sidewalk. I think they are near where Starbucks is now but I can't remember. Another must do is tasting coke at Club Cool! My sons other favorite attraction, lol! Also make time to play in the area after the imagination ride. While it's no where near as good as it use to be, it is still fun.
HS:
Not much left to do here. Make sure to Fast Pass Toy Story and Star tours if he is tall enough. There is some Star Wars stuff that others have mentioned above we have not done yet. There is also Disney Jr. live on stage he should enjoy.
My son did not like ToT and did not really love Fantasmic! We also had to close his eyes on the Great Movie Ride during the Alien part.
AK:
Plan plenty of time for the bone yard! He loved the Lion King show but the Nemo show was about 10 minutes to long for him. It's still a great show if your some loves Nemo but mine was more into Cars got a bit board at that age. Dinosaur and It's Tough to be a Bugs are both on the scary side. Animal Kingdom is beautiful but it's a lot of walking but it can be very relaxing if you so take it slow. Don't forget to catch Rivers of Light if it is out :)
Sorry, I know this is a lot! I hope it helps!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom