Trip Report 4,225 miles and all I got was this ring ;-)

Hey everyone I thought i would get started on my first ever Trip Report whilst it's all still fresh in my head, and before i get crazy busy with uni work( i start teacher training for post compulsory education on Wednesday, eeek!)
I suppose i should start with a whose who this trip is slightly different than usual for me, I usually come with my family but its just me (Mel) and my fiance (Matty) (I can't get used to typing that yet!) this is my 5th trip and Matty's second. Believe it or not this is my first trip actually staying on site :eek:. I have been dying to do it for years and have been counting down since we booked last November.
Our trip dates were 06/09/14-20/09/14 and we stayed at the Art of Animation resort in the little mermaid section, i was far too excited about this the little mermaid was one of my favourites when i was a kid. we also decided to go with the dining plan. Being from the UK we are lucky to be able to get the 14 day ultimate tickets for quite a reasonable price, so naturally we had to have two of those:rolleyes:.
so I think that's all the background info, hope you all enjoy my TR:)

day one
We were up at 6AM to get to Manchester Airport, luckily it's only like a 20 min trip from where we live, don't ask me how, but I actually slept well that NEVER happens the night before I go on holiday. It must have been all the rushing around getting everything ready for both the holiday and going back to University. We had a pretty uneventful time getting through security, as there have been some issues with increased wait times with the new security measures in place in the UK (my folks were at the same airport heading to Greece the same day, and they queued outside the Airport it was that bad)
We flew with Thomas Cook this year it worked out like £400 cheaper than flying with virgin so it was a no brainer really, plus we have noticed a drop in standards with virgin atlantic since we first flew with them. overall we were glad we did, their new planes actually have legroom! Matty is pretty tall so he usually takes my legroom as well as his own!
The only problem is there was very little to watch or listen to and if you wanted the premium channels you had to pay, that was kind of stingy but not the end of the world.
a big bonus for me was the food was actually edible! being a vegetarian/ pescatarian for well over 10 years now i have been served some dreadful and actually unidentifiable options on planes.

after a pretty decent but tiring 9 hour flight we just wanted to get to the hotel to shower and get a change of clothes. we cleared customs/ immigration in record time, those little machine / kiosk things they have installed at MCO have really helped speed things up. Next up was the part that I was a little nervous about. Thomas Cook didn't seem to have a clue about how to get on the magical express from the airport, first we were told we needed to see our rep and get coupons, then we were told we didn't need Coupons but to see them anyway, then a third employee told us to just get straight on the bus, so helpful:facepalm:
turns out we just had to present them with the paperwork and the disney magical express peeps did the rest. I wish we had a picture of us when it was our turn to get on the bus we were just so excited! we loved that officer peabody does the safety announcements on the bus, I literally yelled at the screen when i saw it was him:oops:.

when we pulled up at our resort we were just blown away with the look and scale of the place, literally i still can't describe stepping in to the reception for the first time. i just had to pinch myself to check it was real! we picked up our bands( you don't get them posted to you on the UK, or get a choice of color) I was praying mine wasn't pink, i hate pink and always have done, so the thought of having to wear it for two weeks didn't appeal! luckily we both just got grey. we picked up our resort mugs and headed out to find our room.
we were like kids at christmas looking at all the decoration along the way, the lion king section is really cute IMG_1467.JPG
IMG_1466.JPG

When I got to the little mermaid section i was pretty much beside myself. it's so well done. my fiance was worried the resort may look a little too garish or childlike, but it exceeded both our expectations, and mine were pretty high! the garden areas are immaculate.
we were actually in the Ariel section, yay!:joyfull:
IMG_1463.JPG

and this was the view from our room
IMG_1596.JPG
It may sound weird, but we preferred this to looking out over the pool it was much more peaceful and private. we also requested the top floor, we live in a middle floor apartment so it was nice to have a break from hearing people above you, or them and their home gym in our neighbours case:mad:
we found our room with little difficulty, it was amazing opening the door for the first time, the details in the little mermaid rooms were so cool! i wanted to take home most of it, matty did threaten to check my bags on the way out just in case. like thisIMG_1593.JPG
or thisIMG_1585.JPG
It was safe to say i loved the room, and i think i had matty converted. I just couldn't believe we were there! its been kind of a long year with waiting to go back to university, then in February i had a very nasty accident at work which i'm still recovering from, so counting down to this trip has been keeping me sane!
so we had a quick shower and let the folks back home know we had got there safely, then it was time for downtown disney:)

we headed straight for splitsville, we were starving after the long flight so we got cracking on those dining credits ;). we ate there last year on our last day and loved it. We had been talking about eating there for ages and it didn't disappoint. I had the margherita pizza and matty had the pulled pork burger, we shared a side of loaded fries( with no bacon) sorry we took no pics of this one, our hunger pangs were just too strong! we also had brownies for dessert. we forgot how large american portions are, so were basically in a food coma by this point.
we had started to look round the shops and then jetlag kicked in big time, so we caught the bus back to the hotel and turned in for the night.
stay tuned for day 2....

mouse_luv

thanks :) ah really? what dates? you never know we might have crossed paths.
We were there 4-10th of Sept! We had wonderful conversations and joked around with many from the UK this past trip and loved every minute of it! :) Now you have me wondering if we did cross paths with one another!

melmel89

Original Poster
Its a definite possibility! If you talked to a girl from the north of england with red hair that was probably me, we should all get badges or something so we can identify each other!

melmel89

Original Poster
Congratulations!! Your ring is beautiful! What a lovely place to get engaged too (meaning both Disney and BOG!)! Also loving the TR can't wait to read more :)
thank you :) i was thrilled with it, i couldn't have chosen any better myself i love anything blue so i was a happy girly

melmel89

Original Poster
right lets see if i can get some more done before i fall asleep, sitting in class all day should not be this tiring!
DAY FOUR
After all the excitement of the night before, we treated ourselves to a lie in and a leisurely breakfast before heading over to HS. we hit ToT RnRC and TSMM before we got down to trying to see some of the shows. first up was the little mermaid. I know its not one of the major shows but its one of my faves, in case you all hadn't guessed it i kind of love the little mermaid. It was mattys first time watching it as i usually watch it with my mum. it seemed to go down way better than i expected, i thought he would be bored senseless.
we did have a funny moment waiting for it to start, some italian guy and his family sat in the middle of the row in front of us even though you are told to go right to the end. well this guy must have been having a bad day because when he was told to move he went ballistic, he was puce in the face and his eyes were bulging and everything! even the CM was struggling to keep a straight face his reaction was that comical, it was like one of the citizens of hollywood had been let loose in there. we had to try our best to conceal our giggles before he finished his tantrum and stomped out leaving his wife and kids looking bewildered. you definitely see it all at WDW!
After the little mermaid we decided to head on over to Lights Motors Action. we were a little early but i hate the crush of trying to get in when it starts to get busy. We love that show i'm a bit of a closet petrolhead, i was brought up around speedway bikes so the sounds and the smells of that show make me feel kind of nostalgic. we also love the bit where they fool the kids into thinking that car is remote control.
Next up was lunch at prime time cafe, I couldn't wait for us to go there as we hadn't managed to go last trip and i wanted to get my hands on these bad boys
IMG_1088.JPG

The food wasn't as good as last time i ate there, but it was still a really cool experience the servers are a hoot! and we managed to get a section with one of the little TV's they are so cute.
IMG_1086.JPG
we managed to catch the citizens on our way out, then it was back to the hotel for a rest and to ring round the family to let them know our news :). by the time we had got round everyone it was time for MNSSHP, we had managed to get tickets the day we got there. It was something i had always wanted to try but never got round to. I love anything to do with halloween which is a bit of a bummer when you live in the UK as there is no where near as much celebration for it here. I had managed to find a villains t-shirt at home and i did my eye make up in an ursula theme. we had wanted to do costumes but were worried about them taking too much room up in the cases.
we managed to get there for just before 7, it was a little drizzly but not too bad, it still managed to do a number on my hair but i guess it added to the theme! we headed to cosmic ray's for a quick bite before getting stuck in to the trick or treating and character meet n greets. i knew there limited tickets for each event but i just couldn't get over seeing MK that quiet!
first up we met alice and mad hatterIMG_1091.JPG
Alice's accent wasn't too shabby at all!
next up was Jack and Sally i was sooo excited i was practically running, i LOVE NBC. They were actually awesome they were just so in character it was unbelieveable.
we also met Gaston he was hilarious, he was asking about our engagement and said that matty should be worried if i was coming to see him after 24 hours of being engaged lol. there were two elderly ladies behind us waiting to meet him and they were like school girls it was brilliant.
we were just about to meet the wicked queen and the heavens opened :( she got moved away. the rain came down quite badly for about 20 mins so we decided to concentrate on rides for a while. we hit HM their make up is so cool, i don't know how they keep a straight face i would giggle all the time!
IMG_1093.JPG

We headed for BTMR next, we rode it twice without getting off! i have never done that at WDW so that was another cool first. Next up it was time to get a spot for halowishes and boo to you!
we loved the parade,i had seen videos online but they just didn't do it justice!IMG_1109.JPG
After the parade we hit a few more rides and decided to call it a night. we mooched in the main street shops on the way out. i just had to treat myself to a couple of the halloween pins, i was so tempted to buy the set!
we loved MNSSHP and would do it again, even if it was just for the sweets!IMG_1135.JPG
so thats day 4 done and dusted. will post day 5 soon :)

Tiggertoo56

Congratulations on your engagement. I can't believe you have actually managed to remember everything to do a TR too - the excitement would have got to me so much having it happen there that I wouldn't be able to follow it through.

melmel89

Original Poster
Congratulations on your engagement. I can't believe you have actually managed to remember everything to do a TR too - the excitement would have got to me so much having it happen there that I wouldn't be able to follow it through.
thank you :) It's not like me to have a good memory at all! i think because it was such a special trip its helped to keep it there. im trying to get it finished ASAP before i forget!

melmel89

Original Poster
Hopefully i should be able to get a good chunk done now with it being the weekend, then it's back to studying:bookworm:.
DAY FIVE
day 5 was our first visit to animal kingdom, managed to get there just after rope drop. Our first stop was FP's with Kilimanjaro safaris with it being early on the animals were all out and it looked like some were finishing their brekkieIMG_1158.JPG
Our guide was excellent she seemed a lot more knowledgeable than some we have had. and we actually got to see the lions, they are never usually there when we go!
IMG_1174.JPG
Up next was expedition everest this is one of my top 5 attractions i could ride it all day! i think me and my brother have managed 5 times in a row before we felt a little green and had to have a rest lol. i love all the little details there is always something new to look at, the yeti museum bit is cool too. I'd love to have some of the knickknacks in our apartment, except maybe this one...
IMG_1518.JPG
haha sorry couldn't resist. we got on the front for our first ride, weirdly in all the times we have been on EE it was the first time we got the front row, the view when you come to a halt is pretty epic from there. next up we headed to flights of wonder, its kind of under-rated IMO, it was matty's first time watching it. Its nice that they have the birds doing what they would naturally and not performing "tricks" Alot of holiday resorts in europe offer trips to zoos and parks that have animals performing novelty acts and it always makes me really uncomfortable. after that we headed to primeval whirl, i do like that ride but its just so damn jerky!
we did a bit of pin trading in the surrounding stores and tried to find some of the animals in the surrounding area. Now maybe the heat was getting to us but all we could find were Alligators, im sure they used to have more than that in that section, but then again my memory isn't the best!
We had a nice slow walk up to our lunch reservations at Tusker House.
IMG_1206.JPG
Had to get a pic in with the main mouse obviously, he wanted to pocket my ring! maybe he's finally going to pop the question;). the food here was way better than we expected. we loved the watermelon and feta salad, it was unusual but lovely. the barley with basil dressing was great too, its usually used in traditional stews over here so to see it with mediterranean flavours was a nice change. I think i pretty much ate my own body weight in baklava for dessert. i've been hooked on greek food since i was a baby, my first foreign holiday was to corfu when i was 18 months old so any excuse to eat it is fine with me.
After lunch we had FP'S for kali river rapids, its safe to say it was the wettest we had ever gotten on any water ride.EVER. we were dripping and had forgotten to bring a change of clothes:banghead: I had remembered my water shoes and everything, but dry shorts? forget it. we pretty much just milled about trading pins and looking at all the minor animal exhibits till we were something approaching dry. we eventually decided to brave wet clothes vs mega air con and went to see the festival of the lion king. I adore that show, literally everything about it, the performers have the most beautiful voices ever. I'm already thinking of including one of the songs into our wedding, we have no dates or anything i just love it that much!:joyfull:. after watching that it was mid afternoon and we had pretty much done everything we wanted to, so it was time to head back to the hotel for a swim, wasn't like we weren't wet already lol.
After a swim and a little nap (i'm on holiday so napping in the day is fine for someone in their twenties, right?) It was time to head to DTD for dinner and some shopping. we chose Earl of sandwich, I had heard some really good things and i have to say we were a little disappointed :( the wait was crazy for a QS restaurant(even for a theme park resort area) my bread was over toasted, so it was a little burnt and bitter. I went for the Caprese and AoA do it waaay better IMO and you get chips and a pudding there. Matty had the philly cheesesteak (i think) and just found it average, and he's not fussy like me! We had a really good look in D street, the MR is a massive star wars fan so there is always plenty for him to see in there. after a look around we decided to go for a round of golf at winter-summerland. I got 5 hole in ones on the winter side:D i love mini golf, but i'm not the most co-ordinated individual so that was pretty good for me! i still got beat on both sides though.
we headed back to the hotel and decided to finally take a good look around our resort and walk across the lake to POP century. We would definitely stay at AoA again, it's just so cute.
IMG_0657.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG IMG_0721.JPG
So that's another day done, next up Blizzard beach and Ohana breakfast.

melmel89

Original Poster
Day Six
Today we started the day with breakfast at Ohana. I was really excited and i wasn't even sure i was going to like the food, that's how much we love Lilo and Stitch! plus i had always wanted to look round polynesian, we would love to stay there some day, maybe we will get to honeymoon there if we are lucky (i'm totally working at trying to wangle a disney wedding atm) We got there for just after 9 and it was sooo busy i knew it was popular but the queue was worse than when we went to BOG! we we seated surprisingly quickly all things considered. we had to wait for the chef to come out before any food came out, as i'm allergic to pineapple (not the best choice of themed cuisine with that in mind i know!) they were fantastic and even offered to make extra dishes if there was not enough veggie friendly or pineapple free foods there for me. I finally got my first taste of mickey waffles and it was love at first bite :inlove:. they are amazing! loved the breakfast biscuits too, it's something we don't have in the UK they seem very similar to scones. In a major first for me i even tried the scrambled eggs the food was that good, it's unheard of for me i hate the smell of eggs cooking. i think pictures were taken it's that unusual! they were lovely disney had managed to convert me. we enjoyed the rest of our breakfast, which after me being a little apprehensive about the food, turned out to be our 2nd fave after BOG. Then we had to wait for the characters to do the rounds, there was no way we were going to miss them!
IMG_0646.JPG IMG_0650.JPG IMG_0648.JPG IMG_0645.JPG
With nicely full tummies, though not stuffed which made a change on this trip we had a little look around the resort we headed to catch the bus to BB. I have to say considering we were in a budget resort our bus system seemed far better than some of the deluxe resorts! after waiting a while we were on our way. This was our first visit other than to play the golf, we have done TL several times and i think we actually prefer it. we noticed there was more litter and debris from plants and trees at BB and Some of the rides were a little rougher on the body, friction burn is no fun. That said we still had a great time, i prefer BB's wave pool it was nice just bobbing around in a ring rather than having your legs dragged from under you.
We had a couple of hours at BB then headed back for the bus to AoA. at our bus stop we saw a snake and i actually nearly wet myself! it's the biggest one i have ever seen when it's not behind glass in the zoo! it's something you don't see where i live and i would like to keep it that way thanks. Needless to say i was one happy girly when that bus arrived!
We stopped by landscape of flavours on the way back to the room and treated ourselves to a nutella gelato, it was delicious. we had a little rest, skyped my folks who were having a terrible time in Greece and just wanted to join us in florida (they are disney addicts too!) i think they were actually more shocked that i had eaten scrambled eggs than getting engaged lol i told you it was unheard of.
After our break we headed out to HS we had FP'S and were going to grab dinner and try and watch fantasmic. we got the FP's done no problem, but when it came to dinner that was more of an issue. I forgot how early and how many QS places close there, there was not one thing we wanted to eat in the places that were left open. there was no way i was eating at pizza planet, it's basically warm bread! we had to head back and grab dinner at the resort instead:oops: i had been really looking forward to watching fantasmic as well.
dinner ended up being make your own pasta, It was really lovely for QS pasta i went for alfredo with onion garlic and peas.:hungry: If memory serves matty went for a burger, he loves them my folks nickname for him is burger king lol.
shamefully i actually can't remember what we did with the rest of the evening! there may have been mini-golf or DtD. I do know we didn't have a late one as we were up early for ropedrop at EPCOT. so there you have it another day done :)

Mom@disney

Your trip report is enjoyable to read! Love your photo with the Mad Hatter and Alice. And your breakfast at O'Hana's made me hungry...especially for the biscuits. I'm a pescatarian, so whi,e the rest of the family is munching on the breakfast meats, the biscuits are all for me :). Sounds like AoA food court is really yummy...nutella Gelato?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom