Trip Report 4,225 miles and all I got was this ring ;-)

Hey everyone I thought i would get started on my first ever Trip Report whilst it's all still fresh in my head, and before i get crazy busy with uni work( i start teacher training for post compulsory education on Wednesday, eeek!)
I suppose i should start with a whose who this trip is slightly different than usual for me, I usually come with my family but its just me (Mel) and my fiance (Matty) (I can't get used to typing that yet!) this is my 5th trip and Matty's second. Believe it or not this is my first trip actually staying on site :eek:. I have been dying to do it for years and have been counting down since we booked last November.
Our trip dates were 06/09/14-20/09/14 and we stayed at the Art of Animation resort in the little mermaid section, i was far too excited about this the little mermaid was one of my favourites when i was a kid. we also decided to go with the dining plan. Being from the UK we are lucky to be able to get the 14 day ultimate tickets for quite a reasonable price, so naturally we had to have two of those:rolleyes:.
so I think that's all the background info, hope you all enjoy my TR:)

day one
We were up at 6AM to get to Manchester Airport, luckily it's only like a 20 min trip from where we live, don't ask me how, but I actually slept well that NEVER happens the night before I go on holiday. It must have been all the rushing around getting everything ready for both the holiday and going back to University. We had a pretty uneventful time getting through security, as there have been some issues with increased wait times with the new security measures in place in the UK (my folks were at the same airport heading to Greece the same day, and they queued outside the Airport it was that bad)
We flew with Thomas Cook this year it worked out like £400 cheaper than flying with virgin so it was a no brainer really, plus we have noticed a drop in standards with virgin atlantic since we first flew with them. overall we were glad we did, their new planes actually have legroom! Matty is pretty tall so he usually takes my legroom as well as his own!
The only problem is there was very little to watch or listen to and if you wanted the premium channels you had to pay, that was kind of stingy but not the end of the world.
a big bonus for me was the food was actually edible! being a vegetarian/ pescatarian for well over 10 years now i have been served some dreadful and actually unidentifiable options on planes.

after a pretty decent but tiring 9 hour flight we just wanted to get to the hotel to shower and get a change of clothes. we cleared customs/ immigration in record time, those little machine / kiosk things they have installed at MCO have really helped speed things up. Next up was the part that I was a little nervous about. Thomas Cook didn't seem to have a clue about how to get on the magical express from the airport, first we were told we needed to see our rep and get coupons, then we were told we didn't need Coupons but to see them anyway, then a third employee told us to just get straight on the bus, so helpful:facepalm:
turns out we just had to present them with the paperwork and the disney magical express peeps did the rest. I wish we had a picture of us when it was our turn to get on the bus we were just so excited! we loved that officer peabody does the safety announcements on the bus, I literally yelled at the screen when i saw it was him:oops:.

when we pulled up at our resort we were just blown away with the look and scale of the place, literally i still can't describe stepping in to the reception for the first time. i just had to pinch myself to check it was real! we picked up our bands( you don't get them posted to you on the UK, or get a choice of color) I was praying mine wasn't pink, i hate pink and always have done, so the thought of having to wear it for two weeks didn't appeal! luckily we both just got grey. we picked up our resort mugs and headed out to find our room.
we were like kids at christmas looking at all the decoration along the way, the lion king section is really cute IMG_1467.JPG
IMG_1466.JPG

When I got to the little mermaid section i was pretty much beside myself. it's so well done. my fiance was worried the resort may look a little too garish or childlike, but it exceeded both our expectations, and mine were pretty high! the garden areas are immaculate.
we were actually in the Ariel section, yay!:joyfull:
IMG_1463.JPG

and this was the view from our room
IMG_1596.JPG
It may sound weird, but we preferred this to looking out over the pool it was much more peaceful and private. we also requested the top floor, we live in a middle floor apartment so it was nice to have a break from hearing people above you, or them and their home gym in our neighbours case:mad:
we found our room with little difficulty, it was amazing opening the door for the first time, the details in the little mermaid rooms were so cool! i wanted to take home most of it, matty did threaten to check my bags on the way out just in case. like thisIMG_1593.JPG
or thisIMG_1585.JPG
It was safe to say i loved the room, and i think i had matty converted. I just couldn't believe we were there! its been kind of a long year with waiting to go back to university, then in February i had a very nasty accident at work which i'm still recovering from, so counting down to this trip has been keeping me sane!
so we had a quick shower and let the folks back home know we had got there safely, then it was time for downtown disney:)

we headed straight for splitsville, we were starving after the long flight so we got cracking on those dining credits ;). we ate there last year on our last day and loved it. We had been talking about eating there for ages and it didn't disappoint. I had the margherita pizza and matty had the pulled pork burger, we shared a side of loaded fries( with no bacon) sorry we took no pics of this one, our hunger pangs were just too strong! we also had brownies for dessert. we forgot how large american portions are, so were basically in a food coma by this point.
we had started to look round the shops and then jetlag kicked in big time, so we caught the bus back to the hotel and turned in for the night.
stay tuned for day 2....

melmel89

Original Poster
Day 2
so our body clocks ever so kindly woke us up at 5AM (the UK is 5 hours ahead so i would have seemed like a nice Sunday lie in to our brains i guess) there was no way I was going back to sleep, we were way too excited! we decided to catch up on the news then head out for an early morning stroll. I was still far too excited to be using this considering i'm a grown adult!
IMG_1586.JPG

We got to the food court just as it opened and grabbed a drink and a pastry, we loved the convenience of the refillable mugs and the grab and go selections at landscape of flavour, we miss it now we are home:(
we got to the pool for 8:30 waay too early to be there but we were never going back to sleep and we didn't want to just sit in the room. we whittled away the time till it opened watching the lifeguards practice their rescue techniques. In all the places i have visited in the world i can honestly say i have never seen staff that dedicated. we also got to see a family of bunnies, soo cute! being a city girl i love all the wildlife you get to see at Disney (except the snakes :hungover: I'm with Dr jones on that one)
we had a bit of a chill in the pool, then got ready to head to wilderness lodge for lunch.
we travelled to WL via MK, i was so tempted to just forget lunch and run into main street but we had reservations at Whispering Canyon Cafe so I had to resist temptation for the time being.
we were a little early so we took a look around first. It's so beautiful there i'd love to stay there some day. we were seated promptly and decided to watch from the sidelines rather than participate we were still a little dopey from our flight, so we didn't want to give them any ammunition ;). we found the food just average which was a shame as we were looking forward to it. i had the shrimp salad and matty had a burger. we had the chocolate cake and apple pie for dessert, sorry the food was half eaten before i remembered to take pics.
IMG_1052.JPG
IMG_1053.JPG

after lunch it was finally time to head to our first park of the trip! Mk was calling us. we hopped on the boat and were there in no time. it was kind of a dull day but it was still awesome getting our fist glances of MK. We decided to take our first day nice and slow so we wouldn't burn out. we had a mooch round main street then headed for Stitch's great escape. i know a lot of folks hate that ride but we love lilo and stitch so it's a must do for us. we then hit buzz a couple of times. we get scarily competitive on toy story and buzz, our ride photos always look deadly serious. we decided to head on over to get a good spot for the festival of fantasy parade, i couldn't wait to see it for the first time.
we had just got nice and settled when we noticed it was drizzling, no biggie we thought it will just be a light afternoon shower, boy were we wrong! the parade was cancelled and there was torrential rain for the rest of the day and well into the night. not quite the first full day we hoped for! in all the time i have spent in florida i have never seen rain like it. it did stop enough for us to get on the 7 dwarves mine train though:D we loved it, it was a little short but that's my only complaint, after some of the comments on here i was a little dubious about what it would be like but it was great. we managed to ride BTMT and Space mountain eventually, and we went on phillarmagic as it was the last day before it went down for repairs. the rain got drastically worse after we came out so we had a mooch in the gift shop. I found the simba and mufasa puzzle and had to have it! i was minding my own business waiting to pay when a group of Brazilians decided to jump the queue right in front of me:mad: i may be very petite but i can more than stand my ground safe to say they ended up at the back of the line!
we thought the weather was improving so we decided to head on over to adventureland, big mistake! the rain came worse than ever and we had to dart into the tiki room, i haven't been in there since it was reverted to the original version. we would have rather got soaked to be honest :facepalm:. we decided to cut our losses and head back to AoA for the day, the weather was obviously not improving, and i was wearing canvas shoes so my feet were soaked and chafing.
dinner was a caprese sandwich from the foodcourt
IMG_1367.JPG

i got seriously addicted to these bad boys, dessert was a mickey ganache tart yum yum!
IMG_1369.JPG
we decided to have an early ish night the weather was way too bad to do much, and we were tired from our 5AM start. next up day 3 its kind of a big one stay tuned folks....

melmel89

Original Poster
Howdy neighbour !!!! (well almost)

We're travelling with Cosmos holidays next year with a total save of just under £1,500 compared to Virgin
ooh where are you from almost neighbour? its crazy isn't it? considering most of the time it's the exact same holiday they are offering and the service really isn't that different most of the time.

CAPTAIN HOOK

ooh where are you from almost neighbour? its crazy isn't it? considering most of the time it's the exact same holiday they are offering and the service really isn't that different most of the time.
I'm in Bolton so we always use Manchester Airport. The only difference for us this year is that we fly into Sanford rather than Orlando Int, but if that saves us £1,500, who cares !!!

melmel89

Original Poster
I'm in Bolton so we always use Manchester Airport. The only difference for us this year is that we fly into Sanford rather than Orlando Int, but if that saves us £1,500, who cares !!!
ahh cool i start my PGCE in bolton tomorrow! small world or what. wow that's crazy for the sake of using a different airport i don't blame you.

Mom@disney

Hi from a fellow Ariel fan! How cool is that? Taking a shower in Ariel's grotto! Awesome. Sorry about the rain the first day in MK. Hopefully the weather cooperated for the rest of the week. Looking foward to reading more!!!

melmel89

Original Poster
DAY 3
Well this is the big one, the day that gave me the trip report title. No prizes for guessing we got engaged on this trip, when we were thinking of how to break it to friends and family on social media we decided to go with a picture of my ring and the TR report title as the caption. so heres how it all unfolded...
The morning started with grabbing a snack for brekkie and heading on out for hollywood studios rope drop. we got there waay earlier than we expected to, we didn't realise we were so close! we were the first row at the magic band scanners waiting to get in we were that early. HS is our favourite so we couldn't wait for them to let us in! we decided to head towards Rock n Roller first as we hadn't managed to get fp for it. we managed to stay at the front most of the way until we encountered an unbelievably rude father and son duo, the son must have been in his mid teens and decided he would just stand all over me because they decided they wanted to switch lines at the last second from the ToT rope drop. his father was actually encouraging him so they could get ahead:banghead:. they pushed through most of the line and all the way onto the ride. there's just no need! luckily they were getting off as we were so i decided to put my backpack on with a little more vigor than usual ;). still their horrible manners didn't detract from the experience, we love that ride you just can't beat the launch!
Next up was ToT, It's our favourite ride at WDW so we were pretty pumped to be riding it again. It was a little strange for me riding it without my dad this year, it's always something we love doing together at WDW. Still it was pretty awesome and we had some really cool cast members, i love it when they really get into the role.
after a couple of rides on ToT we finally managed to drag ourselves away and went off to starring rolls for a snack. we got the butterfinger cupcakes, they are sooo good. again hunger won so we didn't get any pics.
we hit TSMM next, got far too competitive and i got a thrashing! it's nothing new when i play against matty but i still love it.
next up we decided to try and spot some citizens of hollywood, we are a little nuts about them we are always quoting them and watching clips on youtube in between visits. as luck would have it they were out and about :)
IMG_1442.JPG

I love jack diamond he's so sarcastic and quick witted.
IMG_1443.JPG
I could literally watch these guys all day.
Next up was lunch and two fairfax salads for us, minus the chilli on mine. it was light and refreshing which was nice after some of the huge portions we had already been served that week. we meant to go straight home to rest as we had a reservation at BOG for the evening but we spotted these guys on the way out and couldn't resist stopping....
IMG_0780.JPG

They were hilarious, the boss, sparky and rico are the best lineup of the street works IMO.
after watching them we headed off for a swim and a nap. when we were getting ready to go out for dinner matty kept trying to get me to put a dress on, but it was a little drizzly out and the only suitable one i had a long hem at the back and would have got soaked. i found it a little odd at the time but just put it down to him wanting to look smart with it being such a nice place. when we got there wouldn't you know it, it started drizzling again :( by the time we got to BOG my hair was massive, i could have passed for one of the hair bear
IMG_1054.JPG
bunch! when we got inside i just couldn't believe we were finally there, it's so beautiful! the pics don't do it justice.

matty had been really quiet all the way, then when we were seated he went off to find our server to ask if he could take a few pics for us. the next thing i knew our server ( His name was Patrick and he was wonderful) came back and matty was down by the side of my chair on one knee!:jawdrop: i was so shocked i had an idea it might come sooner or later as we have been together 4 and a half years, but i was just gobsmacked with the location! the ring was purty too
IMG_1078.JPG

melmel89

Original Poster
IMG_1079.JPG as i was saying before my internet cut me off, it was just perfect:). after all the excitement we settled down to dinner, it was awesome!IMG_1076.JPG we can confirm the grey stuff was delicious.
After a wonderful dinner we decided to celebrate by grabbing badges and riding 7DMT as you do. the MK was closing and we weren't ready to call it a night so we headed over to fantasia Mini golf i LOVE mini golf and that course is so cool! we had a quick game and headed home, which has to be one of the longest routes on disney property, it seemed to take an age!
so thats it for our big day hopefully i will have time to fill you all in on the rest soon!

Attachments

• IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 25

melmel89

Original Poster
Hi from a fellow Ariel fan! How cool is that? Taking a shower in Ariel's grotto! Awesome. Sorry about the rain the first day in MK. Hopefully the weather cooperated for the rest of the week. Looking foward to reading more!!!
I know its kinda sad but showering has literally never been more exciting haha. thanks but the weather was a little mischievous all the time we were there. it's the most rain i have ever seen in 5 two week visits to florida. but we still had a blast.

Mom@disney

I guess it's true what they say..." A rainy day in Disney is better than a sunny day anywhere" .
Congratulations on your engagement!!! How wonderful to have such a celebration during BoG dinner.

officialtom

when we pulled up at our resort we were just blown away with the look and scale of the place, literally i still can't describe stepping in to the reception for the first time. i just had to pinch myself to check it was real! we picked up our bands( you don't get them posted to you on the UK, or get a choice of color) I was praying mine wasn't pink, i hate pink and always have done, so the thought of having to wear it for two weeks didn't appeal! luckily we both just got grey. ...

Are you sure you couldn't pre-pick the colour of your magic bands? We're Canadian so can't get them shipped to us either, but we were able to customise them online as soon as we'd booked our trip.

melmel89

Original Poster
Are you sure you couldn't pre-pick the colour of your magic bands? We're Canadian so can't get them shipped to us either, but we were able to customise them online as soon as we'd booked our trip.
i kept trying but it wouldn't allow me, maybe it was just a glitch. ill have to try calling or emailing next time.

melmel89

Original Poster
I guess it's true what they say..." A rainy day in Disney is better than a sunny day anywhere" .
Congratulations on your engagement!!! How wonderful to have such a celebration during BoG dinner.
Thanks :) i think its still sinking in! its so true it certainly beats the rainy day we had at home today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom