Trip Report 28 Going on 8...A Birthday Trip!

Hi everyone! I’ve been home for a few days sorting & editing pictures and can’t wait to start sharing my latest trip:)

I’ve always wanted to spend my birthday in Disney World – who wouldn’t?! ;)
So when my sister suggested we go for my birthday instead of me flying out to Denver to visit (she just moved), I was in! Then I asked my parents if they would want to come and to my surprise…they said yes! They love Disney too, but we haven’t been as a family in a few years. It was later in the day when it hit me that they really said yes because it meant seeing my sister for the first time since she moved to Colorado :rolleyes: haha. But they really were excited to all be together and spend my birthday in Disney World too:)

We stayed Friday, July 8th to Tuesday, July 12th at Port Orleans French Quarter! My sister and I loved this resort the last time we stayed and couldn't wait for my parents to see it too, we knew they'd love the theming.

Here we are on our last family trip in April 2013

Mom- Phyllis
Me- Sam
Sister- Alyssa
Dad- Larry

There were a few hiccups in the week leading up to and day of the trip...

It was about a week before we were leaving when I found out that one of my admission guest passes was lost by a friend on our last trip. I knew I could replace it but after doing some research I found out it would take two weeks in the mail, or you could do it in person at a site in Celebration. But they close at 4 on Fridays, and I was going to be landing at 2:30, which would be cutting it too close. I decided to apply for a new pass online and hope it would come before we leave. I also started panicking about all the time I spent planning out our fastpasses and not knowing if they’d be able to be applied to a new guest pass. All was better when the new guest pass arrived a few days after I ordered the replacement and they assured me the fastpasses would transfer right over to the new pass with no issues. Crisis 1 averted!

Speaking of fastpasses…some of our fastpasses on my guest passes weren’t showing up, I called several times and everyone gave me a different answer and was told to check back in a couple days and the system should be fixed. That never happened. I was told I used all the allotments I had for my guest passes, I knew there wasn’t any truth to that, then finally a very helpful cast member made new fastpasses for those missing to match the rest of the ones on my main entrance pass. Crisis 2 averted!

And then the biggest problem…my sister flew in from Denver early on the 8th. I flew out from LaGuardia at 11, and my parents were on a 6:30pm flight from Newark. Around noon, my mom gets an email that JetBlue had cancelled their flight and put them on a new one 24 hours later. I’m on the plane and totally helpless (and freaking out). My mom was able to get them on a flight that left about 90 minutes earlier and would connect through Boston and still get in Friday night, just a few hours later. Well, that flight ends up being delayed more and more and eventually there is no way if they ever got to Boston, they wouldn’t even make their connection. So again start looking for another flight and JetBlue puts them on a 5:30am flight Saturday out of JFK. That was the best they were going to get and thankfully I live just outside of NYC so they had a place to stay overnight since jetblue wouldn’t give them a hotel or anything for transportation.
I was, and still am annoyed by the whole thing though. They blamed the weather. I’m a meteorologist. Don’t blame the weather when I see it is NOT raining at or near Newark. Of course safety is the number one priority, and if there had been storms at Newark I would completely understand. But to cancel a flight 7 hours in advance for the chance of a storm, which never happened...I just don’t get it. What is even more frustrating is that all the other airlines were flying out at the time their original flight was supposed to leave…ANYWAY knowing my parents were for sure on a flight first thing the next morning, my sister and I set out to enjoy our night together! We still felt bad they had spent all afternoon sitting around and dealing with the airport, but they were happy too just to be on a flight in the morning.

Sorry that was a lot, but NOW TO THE GOOD STUFF :)

I worked the morning before I left and when I walked into my office I was greeted with the best surprise! An early Disney princess birthday bash, complete with a blow up Mickey, princess figures lining my computer, a Frozen balloon and Disney music in the background. I’m so lucky that my coworkers are also some of my best friends. They know me very well and really got me good that morning. (ps. I’ve managed to keep those decorations up for over a week now ;) haha)

After work I raced to the airport where I learned I was upgraded to first class…woo! Then we were off to Orlando!

We landed early and I quickly made it on to the magical express and before I knew it, was looking at this!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/K5mqQ4]

Soon enough we were pulling into our home, I hopped off the bus and hustled to our room where my sister, Alyssa, was waiting! It was great to see her after being apart for 3 months, especially since we were in DISNEY! We had so much to catch up on, but had several days to do it- so we quickly changed, grabbed our ears and ran off to Magic Kingdom!

On our way to the bus we picked up a birthday button!:D:D

One of the things I was most excited to see was Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire and we needed to hurry to make the last show of the day! Those pictures coming up next :)[/url]

samantha788

Original Poster
After the parade we stopped for some more (and our last:cry:) photopass pictures

DAD'S FACE :D:D:D this picture makes me laugh sooo much

We (I) naturally just headed to the castle, but then decided we wanted a snack so went for a Dole Whip. Dad has never had one and LOVED it. I also want one right now.

We picked a spot in the shade and had time for one more ride, I was able to get a fastpass for pirates right then so it worked out perfectly!

Another dad photobomb :p

Then the awful and depressing walk out of the park...

The magnet inside of me pulling me back to my castle...don't make me leave :(

We took a bus back to POFQ, got our stuff from bell services, changed and waited for DME:(

Just like that, another magical trip comes to an end :(

samantha788

Original Poster
THANK YOU all for reading!! I love sharing our trip and photos with everyone so much :) It's become part of my Disney vacation experience!

Some final thoughts...
It was so nice to have a family trip - especially one that was in our favorite place and was for my birthday. I don't know the next time the 4 of us will get another trip here all together, so it was special to have this.

Celebrating a birthday in Disney was better than I ever would have imagined! I had no expectations, I was just happy to have and wear a birthday button on my actual birthday! But all the birthday wishes - nonstop from the cast members AND guests, made you feel extra special. The surprise birthday cakes, cards, and chocolates were all way more than I was expecting.

We all really love POFQ. I was glad my parents got to see it after hearing my sister and I talk to highly about it. It was also their first stay in a moderate! We all love the theming, but the small size is a giant plus for the resort.

Crowds really weren't that bad. I was worried it was going to be overwhelming going in the middle of summer but it was very manageable. The first two days I couldn't get over how small the crowds were. It picked up after that, but I was still expecting more people.

HEAT. It was hot. We knew it would be. Ideally we would't have planned a family vacation in the middle of summer, but I can't control when my birthday is! The heat wouldn't stop me though ;) We just took it slow and drank a TON of water. The free cups of water they give out is the best thing Disney can do in the summer.

I loved all the new stuff we got to experience! If you couldn't already tell by us watching Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire 4 times? haha. Frozen Ever After was awesome and the details (and no wait) at the Royal Sommerhus for Anna & Elsa was an extra treat. We enjoyed our m&g with Olaf too! This was my dad's first experience with a magic band and he was impressed. And our first time using photopass! We all loved this feature a lot and had fun with all the pictures we were taking. It'll be hard to pass it up on future trips.

As always, I feel like while doing so much, we still missed a lot! We spent a lot of time in Magic Kingdom this trip. We usually end up spending the most time there, but it wasn't until the end when I realized how much time we actually spent. In turn, we hardly spent any time in the World Showcase. Actually excluding Dad & Alyssa's quick run through there in the scavenger hunt, we didn't even do a full loop around the world :( We also never made it over to Animal Kingdom. We didn't have much interest in seeing the Jungle Book show, and after hearing about the night safari I wasn't too eager for that either. But I would have liked to see the park, and especially the Tree of Life at night. I'm also glad we went to dinner in Disney Springs since everything changed completely over the last year, but it was so crowded and dark it was difficult to get a sense of everything. There are so many places there to check out - but that will have to wait for another time.

Speaking of another time, i'll share details soon of TWO :oops: upcoming trips.

Thank you again for joining along on my trip report!

Last edited:

Scoppin

After MRFF we decided to switch up the parade viewing a bit and pick a spot on Main Street. There was still a good amount of time before the parade would start so had no problem getting a spot in the shade, with the occasional breeze of air conditioning :)

While waiting, a CM noticed a little girl sitting right next to me. Their family had been waiting just as long as we were and were very polite :) We were against a trash can (on purpose) so nobody could push their way in, but the family next to us had kids constantly being pushed next to them taking up their small spot. The CM came over to the little girl next to me and told this very elaborate story that started with him asking if she wanted to start the parade on Main Street. He had a piece of ribbon from Tink, and told her she needed to keep it safe in a little pouch until the parade was ready to start.
Then as the parade is approaching he pulls her out to the middle of main street and counts her down to release the ribbon from the pouch - at that moment the music started for us and she was so surprised!
It was a really cute moment, something she will remember forever :) He told her to show that little ribbon to Tink and Captain Hook and they both reacted when their float came by :)

Needless to say, pictures are great. I am just hoping my pictures are half as nice as yours.

Nice to see you were finally able to have nice people sitting beside you. However, I don't think we could sit by a garbage can. DS is allergic to yellow jackets and could take the risk of her getting stung by one hanging around there.

Great life time experience for that little girl. I guess that is one advantage of sitting/watching from the start of the parade route rather than the end. I would love to get my DS or DD an opportunity like that but also know there are hundreds of kids who would also like to take part.

Scoppin

THANK YOU all for reading!! I love sharing our trip and photos with everyone so much :) It's become part of my Disney vacation experience!

Some final thoughts...
It was so nice to have a family trip - especially one that was in our favorite place and was for my birthday. I don't know the next time the 4 of us will get another trip here all together, so it was special to have this.

Celebrating a birthday in Disney was better than I ever would have imagined! I had no expectations, I was just happy to have and wear a birthday button on my actual birthday! But all the birthday wishes - nonstop from the cast members AND guests, made you feel extra special. The surprise birthday cakes, cards, and chocolates were all way more than I was expecting.

We all really love POFQ. I was glad my parents got to see it after hearing my sister and I talk to highly about it. It was also their first stay in a moderate! We all love the theming, but the small size is a giant plus for the resort.

Crowds really weren't that bad. I was worried it was going to be overwhelming going in the middle of summer but it was very manageable. The first two days I couldn't get over how small the crowds were. It picked up after that, but I was still expecting more people.

HEAT. It was hot. We knew it would be. Ideally we would't have planned a family vacation in the middle of summer, but I can't control when my birthday is! The heat wouldn't stop me though ;) We just took it slow and drank a TON of water. The free cups of water they give out is the best thing Disney can do in the summer.

I loved all the new stuff we got to experience! If you couldn't already tell by us watching Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire 4 times? haha. Frozen Ever After was awesome and the details (and no wait) at the Royal Sommerhus for Anna & Elsa was an extra treat. We enjoyed our m&g with Olaf too! This was my dad's first experience with a magic band and he was impressed. And our first time using photopass! We all loved this feature a lot and had fun with all the pictures we were taking. It'll be hard to pass it up on future trips.

As always, I feel like while doing so much, we still missed a lot! We spent a lot of time in Magic Kingdom this trip. We usually end up spending the most time there, but it wasn't until the end when I realized how much time we actually spent. In turn, we hardly spent any time in the World Showcase. Actually excluding Dad & Alyssa's quick run through there in the scavenger hunt, we didn't even do a full loop around the world :( We also never made it over to Animal Kingdom. We didn't have much interest in seeing the Jungle Book show, and after hearing about the night safari I wasn't too eager for that either. But I would have liked to see the park, and especially the Tree of Life at night. I'm also glad we went to dinner in Disney Springs since everything changed completely over the last year, but it was so crowded and dark it was difficult to get a sense of everything. There are so many places there to check out - but that will have to wait for another time.

Thank you for sharing your trip. I learned a lot from it. Will have to try to remember everything for our trip next month. I can't believe that a month from today we will be returning from our WDW trip. I just hope we have half as much fun as you and your family did. It would be really nice for DS to get some attention on his birthday. I don't expect to make it to Disney Springs. Our main focus will be the parks. I am expecting to still be hot when we get there, but as least we will be use to it, as it has been exceptionally hot this year up here.

samantha788

Original Poster
Thank you for sharing your trip. I learned a lot from it. Will have to try to remember everything for our trip next month. I can't believe that a month from today we will be returning from our WDW trip. I just hope we have half as much fun as you and your family did. It would be really nice for DS to get some attention on his birthday. I don't expect to make it to Disney Springs. Our main focus will be the parks. I am expecting to still be hot when we get there, but as least we will be use to it, as it has been exceptionally hot this year up here.
Thank you! Glad you could learn some things from our trip.
You will have a blast and your son will get more birthday wishes than he knows how to handle :)
I can't wait to read all about it!

coachwnh

After MRFF we decided to switch up the parade viewing a bit and pick a spot on Main Street. There was still a good amount of time before the parade would start so had no problem getting a spot in the shade, with the occasional breeze of air conditioning :)

While waiting, a CM noticed a little girl sitting right next to me. Their family had been waiting just as long as we were and were very polite :) We were against a trash can (on purpose) so nobody could push their way in, but the family next to us had kids constantly being pushed next to them taking up their small spot. The CM came over to the little girl next to me and told this very elaborate story that started with him asking if she wanted to start the parade on Main Street. He had a piece of ribbon from Tink, and told her she needed to keep it safe in a little pouch until the parade was ready to start.
Then as the parade is approaching he pulls her out to the middle of main street and counts her down to release the ribbon from the pouch - at that moment the music started for us and she was so surprised!
It was a really cute moment, something she will remember forever :) He told her to show that little ribbon to Tink and Captain Hook and they both reacted when their float came by :)

Love the pictures, but loved the story more!

coachwnh

Some final thoughts...

Thanks for sharing! Great report

cgersic

What a fun report! Love to see families having such a great time together and your Dad's photo abilities are just adorable! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the next one!

samantha788

Original Poster
Loved your TR! And TWO more trips!? You lucky girl. ;) Can't wait to read all about them!
Thank you!! I can't believe I have two more trips coming up:oops:

Loved your report! I can't believe it's over!!! Your pictures are seriously beautiful, and I love the bond you share with your family! Glad you won't be suffering from Post Disney depression, two more trips?!? Sooo jealous!!!
Thank you so much! It was special to have another family trip, we love spending time with each other. I'm sad it's over, it took so long to put together, we really did fit a lot into a few days!
It's just about September so that means your trip is just two months away!!

The colors are sooo vibrant in your pics! I love it!!
Thank you so much!!

Thanks for sharing this great TR! Pics are marvelous! Our trip to POFQ is just 44 nights away! Was great to read! Thanks again!
Thank you!
October is right around the corner!! Looks like we'll be just a few days before your trip!

Great report! Your pictures came out excellent. What an awesome way to experience your birthday, and also, super fun to be able to meet up with Tom & Sarah!
Thank you so much :) They're awesome!

Great report @samantha788 - gets me more excited for my trip. Perhaps you can put in a good word for TD8 to either speed up or head to TX? ;););):hilarious:
Thank you!! When is your trip again? Thursday the 1st looks the be the worst of it in Orlando, but still not awful :)

What a fun report! Love to see families having such a great time together and your Dad's photo abilities are just adorable! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the next one!
Thank you so much! I appreciate my dad having fun with the pictures! My sister especially gets tired of all the photos fast haha:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom