Trip Report 28 Going on 8...A Birthday Trip!

Hi everyone! I’ve been home for a few days sorting & editing pictures and can’t wait to start sharing my latest trip:)

I’ve always wanted to spend my birthday in Disney World – who wouldn’t?! ;)
So when my sister suggested we go for my birthday instead of me flying out to Denver to visit (she just moved), I was in! Then I asked my parents if they would want to come and to my surprise…they said yes! They love Disney too, but we haven’t been as a family in a few years. It was later in the day when it hit me that they really said yes because it meant seeing my sister for the first time since she moved to Colorado :rolleyes: haha. But they really were excited to all be together and spend my birthday in Disney World too:)

We stayed Friday, July 8th to Tuesday, July 12th at Port Orleans French Quarter! My sister and I loved this resort the last time we stayed and couldn't wait for my parents to see it too, we knew they'd love the theming.

Here we are on our last family trip in April 2013

Mom- Phyllis
Me- Sam
Sister- Alyssa
Dad- Larry

There were a few hiccups in the week leading up to and day of the trip...

It was about a week before we were leaving when I found out that one of my admission guest passes was lost by a friend on our last trip. I knew I could replace it but after doing some research I found out it would take two weeks in the mail, or you could do it in person at a site in Celebration. But they close at 4 on Fridays, and I was going to be landing at 2:30, which would be cutting it too close. I decided to apply for a new pass online and hope it would come before we leave. I also started panicking about all the time I spent planning out our fastpasses and not knowing if they’d be able to be applied to a new guest pass. All was better when the new guest pass arrived a few days after I ordered the replacement and they assured me the fastpasses would transfer right over to the new pass with no issues. Crisis 1 averted!

Speaking of fastpasses…some of our fastpasses on my guest passes weren’t showing up, I called several times and everyone gave me a different answer and was told to check back in a couple days and the system should be fixed. That never happened. I was told I used all the allotments I had for my guest passes, I knew there wasn’t any truth to that, then finally a very helpful cast member made new fastpasses for those missing to match the rest of the ones on my main entrance pass. Crisis 2 averted!

And then the biggest problem…my sister flew in from Denver early on the 8th. I flew out from LaGuardia at 11, and my parents were on a 6:30pm flight from Newark. Around noon, my mom gets an email that JetBlue had cancelled their flight and put them on a new one 24 hours later. I’m on the plane and totally helpless (and freaking out). My mom was able to get them on a flight that left about 90 minutes earlier and would connect through Boston and still get in Friday night, just a few hours later. Well, that flight ends up being delayed more and more and eventually there is no way if they ever got to Boston, they wouldn’t even make their connection. So again start looking for another flight and JetBlue puts them on a 5:30am flight Saturday out of JFK. That was the best they were going to get and thankfully I live just outside of NYC so they had a place to stay overnight since jetblue wouldn’t give them a hotel or anything for transportation.
I was, and still am annoyed by the whole thing though. They blamed the weather. I’m a meteorologist. Don’t blame the weather when I see it is NOT raining at or near Newark. Of course safety is the number one priority, and if there had been storms at Newark I would completely understand. But to cancel a flight 7 hours in advance for the chance of a storm, which never happened...I just don’t get it. What is even more frustrating is that all the other airlines were flying out at the time their original flight was supposed to leave…ANYWAY knowing my parents were for sure on a flight first thing the next morning, my sister and I set out to enjoy our night together! We still felt bad they had spent all afternoon sitting around and dealing with the airport, but they were happy too just to be on a flight in the morning.

Sorry that was a lot, but NOW TO THE GOOD STUFF :)

I worked the morning before I left and when I walked into my office I was greeted with the best surprise! An early Disney princess birthday bash, complete with a blow up Mickey, princess figures lining my computer, a Frozen balloon and Disney music in the background. I’m so lucky that my coworkers are also some of my best friends. They know me very well and really got me good that morning. (ps. I’ve managed to keep those decorations up for over a week now ;) haha)

After work I raced to the airport where I learned I was upgraded to first class…woo! Then we were off to Orlando!

We landed early and I quickly made it on to the magical express and before I knew it, was looking at this!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/K5mqQ4]

Soon enough we were pulling into our home, I hopped off the bus and hustled to our room where my sister, Alyssa, was waiting! It was great to see her after being apart for 3 months, especially since we were in DISNEY! We had so much to catch up on, but had several days to do it- so we quickly changed, grabbed our ears and ran off to Magic Kingdom!

On our way to the bus we picked up a birthday button!:D:D

One of the things I was most excited to see was Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire and we needed to hurry to make the last show of the day! Those pictures coming up next :)[/url]

samantha788

Original Poster
My dad and I stood here for a few minutes taking in all the sights - we were the only ones around right at the arch of the castle. It was fun watching all the people in front taking pictures, and looking down Main Street too. While standing here the Kiss Goodnight started. It was really cool and different to be basically under the castle during the kiss goodnight, but it was a bit hard to hear the words. Then a loud group with no clue of what was going on comes through and that's all you hear in my video :cautious:

Can never have enough castle pictures:inlove::inlove:

Then we stopped for some photopass pictures, I don't remember what he was saying or doing exactly besides just being goofy and making us all laugh

We went into the Emporium for a few things and caught the second kiss goodnight from main street :)

One last look at Magic Kingdom at night for this trip :(

coachwnh

Loved your pictures of the MSEP, castle, and MS USA on your last night! That walk is always sad. When we had our APs for so many years, we were always happy when we left knowing we'd be back soon. Our last walk three summers ago still feels sad when we think about it. Great trip. Enjoyed following along.

samantha788

Original Poster
Loved your pictures of the MSEP, castle, and MS USA on your last night! That walk is always sad. When we had our APs for so many years, we were always happy when we left knowing we'd be back soon. Our last walk three summers ago still feels sad when we think about it. Great trip. Enjoyed following along.
Thank you so much! It is sad, whether you're not going back for a year, or just for a month, I never want to leave.
Luckily, we still had another full day before our flight so more to come! :)

Scoppin

We took our time heading out the park, wanting to catch the Kiss Goodnight one more time too. I don't remember if my mom and sister just sat by the hub or went into a store, but my Dad came with me as I walked all around the castle taking pictures :inlove:

Wait...this is where my mom and sister were :rolleyes:

Back to the castle :)

Again very nice pictures. I read somewhere the Electric Parade was going to end in October. We will just be able to see it before it is gone.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Gosh I can't believe it's been 3 years since your last trip report! You guys are due for some Disney (east coast, west coast, overseas, doesn't matter ;)) We probably wouldn't recognize your kids now!

coachwnh

Gosh I can't believe it's been 3 years since your last trip report! You guys are due for some Disney (east coast, west coast, overseas, doesn't matter ;)) We probably wouldn't recognize your kids now!
No Disney planned right now. My wife and I are heading to London and Paris in November. We are going to Phoenix next summer, so DL is possible. Its more likely we do a Universal in CA than DL, however. Kids are getting big!! 8 and 6 grade this year.

samantha788

Original Poster
TUESDAY - JULY 12th...Our Last Day:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Alyssa had to get back to Colorado for work and had an early morning flight – I think her DME bus came at 5am. We all woke up to say bye to her – my parents waited for the bus with her, but I went right back to bed instead.
We slept in a little this morning before packing everything up.

Forgot to share this earlier, but POFQ left this in our room for my birthday! It’s a chocolate box of chocolates. So yummy and so nice of them!

Bye French Quarter…

We dropped our bags off with bell services and decided to have breakfast at the resort. This was the second day of the makeshift breakfast setup since Sassagoula Floatworks was closed for refurb. It worked out well! There were plenty of options, nice seating, and the food didn't take long at all. Dad had an omelet and mom and I split the beignets!

Then off the MK…there was on accident on World Drive near the TTC so everyone was being diverted by the grand Floridian and around the back of MK. But there was SO much traffic going this way, it took us an hour to get to the Magic Kingdom!

The end of the monorail!

We made it!

samantha788

Original Poster
We weren’t really sure what our plan for the day would be, I had originally made Soarin FP’s for this morning but since we rode it yesterday we(I) decided to go back to Magic Kingdom. So when making fastpasses the day before, I got one for The Jungle Cruise so we started there!

I never really paid too much attention to all these signs, but I found this one so funny :)

Our skipper's name was Sam too! (this would have been points for the scavenger hunt ;))

We then walked through Fantasyland with a stop at Rapunzel’s tower before visiting the princess herself!

Hidden Mickey :)

samantha788

Original Poster
Rapunzel was so cute. She was looking at my bracelets and when she saw the one with her she exclaimed “THAT’S ME!” That one and the one that says “A dream is a wish your heart makes” were her favorites. She asked if they had a puppy one like maximus and I told her they need a pascal one!
We took a selfie and she said she likes self portaits haha And that pascal is always doing self portraits because he’s good at getting the nose just right ;)

Tiana asked how I was celebrating my birthday and I told her I had beignets for breakfast- she said you know how to celebrate! She asked too if we’re staying at Port Orleans and if we got her letter – I said yes but we’re at FQ and not Riverside so no letter.

They were both so fun, I didn't want to say goodbye!

The day before I was able to get a FP for the Mine Train too – I think that was some of the deciding factor on skipping Soarin and just going to Magic Kingdom.
The FP line was backed up to here, but still didn't have to wait more than a few minutes.

Dad's face! :D hahaha

My mom wanted to go back to the laugh floor! I’m so glad they liked it the first time and wanted to go back because I love it!

samantha788

Original Poster
Our next stop was a relaxing, quiet ride on the people mover :)

We were all pretty tired by this point, it was significantly more crowded than earlier days, and hot – it was just catching up to us. Obviously the best way to beat the crowds and heat is standing out in the scorching sun at 2:00 to watch Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire :rolleyes:hahaha
Those pictures coming up next :)

blreinsel

It's kind of ironic that your sister wouldn't mind never seeing MSEP ever again... :bored::(

I love the Frozen show too! The historians you had are the same ones I had on my trip.. They're hysterical!

Love your Beauty and the Beast pictures.. One of my top 5 favorite shows in WDW. :inlove: That Belle is stunning!

GARDEN GRILL. My mouth is watering.. I forced myself to pick a new restaurant when I was laying out my ADR's for my next trip but I truly don't know if I'm going to be able to stick to it. I need me some more GG. :p

Your nighttime castle pictures. :inlove:

samantha788

Original Poster
It's kind of ironic that your sister wouldn't mind never seeing MSEP ever again... :bored::(

I love the Frozen show too! The historians you had are the same ones I had on my trip.. They're hysterical!

Love your Beauty and the Beast pictures.. One of my top 5 favorite shows in WDW. :inlove: That Belle is stunning!

GARDEN GRILL. My mouth is watering.. I forced myself to pick a new restaurant when I was laying out my ADR's for my next trip but I truly don't know if I'm going to be able to stick to it. I need me some more GG. :p

Your nighttime castle pictures. :inlove:
So ironic about MSEP! Maybe she played a part in it leaving :cautious: One night a couple years ago we were on our way out - without the intention of watching the parade that night, but we ended up being trapped and having to watch...I loved it and she thought I did that to her on purpose haha.
I feel the same about beauty and the beast! Def a top 5:inlove:
Garden Grill! I say do it :) We always end up at hoop dee doo because we love it so much- and you can only have GG at Disney, so why not do it again:p

samantha788

Original Poster
After MRFF we decided to switch up the parade viewing a bit and pick a spot on Main Street. There was still a good amount of time before the parade would start so had no problem getting a spot in the shade, with the occasional breeze of air conditioning :)

While waiting, a CM noticed a little girl sitting right next to me. Their family had been waiting just as long as we were and were very polite :) We were against a trash can (on purpose) so nobody could push their way in, but the family next to us had kids constantly being pushed next to them taking up their small spot. The CM came over to the little girl next to me and told this very elaborate story that started with him asking if she wanted to start the parade on Main Street. He had a piece of ribbon from Tink, and told her she needed to keep it safe in a little pouch until the parade was ready to start.
Then as the parade is approaching he pulls her out to the middle of main street and counts her down to release the ribbon from the pouch - at that moment the music started for us and she was so surprised!
It was a really cute moment, something she will remember forever :) He told her to show that little ribbon to Tink and Captain Hook and they both reacted when their float came by :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom