Trip Report 28 Going on 8...A Birthday Trip!

Hi everyone! I’ve been home for a few days sorting & editing pictures and can’t wait to start sharing my latest trip:)

I’ve always wanted to spend my birthday in Disney World – who wouldn’t?! ;)
So when my sister suggested we go for my birthday instead of me flying out to Denver to visit (she just moved), I was in! Then I asked my parents if they would want to come and to my surprise…they said yes! They love Disney too, but we haven’t been as a family in a few years. It was later in the day when it hit me that they really said yes because it meant seeing my sister for the first time since she moved to Colorado :rolleyes: haha. But they really were excited to all be together and spend my birthday in Disney World too:)

We stayed Friday, July 8th to Tuesday, July 12th at Port Orleans French Quarter! My sister and I loved this resort the last time we stayed and couldn't wait for my parents to see it too, we knew they'd love the theming.

Here we are on our last family trip in April 2013

Mom- Phyllis
Me- Sam
Sister- Alyssa
Dad- Larry

There were a few hiccups in the week leading up to and day of the trip...

It was about a week before we were leaving when I found out that one of my admission guest passes was lost by a friend on our last trip. I knew I could replace it but after doing some research I found out it would take two weeks in the mail, or you could do it in person at a site in Celebration. But they close at 4 on Fridays, and I was going to be landing at 2:30, which would be cutting it too close. I decided to apply for a new pass online and hope it would come before we leave. I also started panicking about all the time I spent planning out our fastpasses and not knowing if they’d be able to be applied to a new guest pass. All was better when the new guest pass arrived a few days after I ordered the replacement and they assured me the fastpasses would transfer right over to the new pass with no issues. Crisis 1 averted!

Speaking of fastpasses…some of our fastpasses on my guest passes weren’t showing up, I called several times and everyone gave me a different answer and was told to check back in a couple days and the system should be fixed. That never happened. I was told I used all the allotments I had for my guest passes, I knew there wasn’t any truth to that, then finally a very helpful cast member made new fastpasses for those missing to match the rest of the ones on my main entrance pass. Crisis 2 averted!

And then the biggest problem…my sister flew in from Denver early on the 8th. I flew out from LaGuardia at 11, and my parents were on a 6:30pm flight from Newark. Around noon, my mom gets an email that JetBlue had cancelled their flight and put them on a new one 24 hours later. I’m on the plane and totally helpless (and freaking out). My mom was able to get them on a flight that left about 90 minutes earlier and would connect through Boston and still get in Friday night, just a few hours later. Well, that flight ends up being delayed more and more and eventually there is no way if they ever got to Boston, they wouldn’t even make their connection. So again start looking for another flight and JetBlue puts them on a 5:30am flight Saturday out of JFK. That was the best they were going to get and thankfully I live just outside of NYC so they had a place to stay overnight since jetblue wouldn’t give them a hotel or anything for transportation.
I was, and still am annoyed by the whole thing though. They blamed the weather. I’m a meteorologist. Don’t blame the weather when I see it is NOT raining at or near Newark. Of course safety is the number one priority, and if there had been storms at Newark I would completely understand. But to cancel a flight 7 hours in advance for the chance of a storm, which never happened...I just don’t get it. What is even more frustrating is that all the other airlines were flying out at the time their original flight was supposed to leave…ANYWAY knowing my parents were for sure on a flight first thing the next morning, my sister and I set out to enjoy our night together! We still felt bad they had spent all afternoon sitting around and dealing with the airport, but they were happy too just to be on a flight in the morning.

Sorry that was a lot, but NOW TO THE GOOD STUFF :)

I worked the morning before I left and when I walked into my office I was greeted with the best surprise! An early Disney princess birthday bash, complete with a blow up Mickey, princess figures lining my computer, a Frozen balloon and Disney music in the background. I’m so lucky that my coworkers are also some of my best friends. They know me very well and really got me good that morning. (ps. I’ve managed to keep those decorations up for over a week now ;) haha)

After work I raced to the airport where I learned I was upgraded to first class…woo! Then we were off to Orlando!

We landed early and I quickly made it on to the magical express and before I knew it, was looking at this!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/K5mqQ4]

Soon enough we were pulling into our home, I hopped off the bus and hustled to our room where my sister, Alyssa, was waiting! It was great to see her after being apart for 3 months, especially since we were in DISNEY! We had so much to catch up on, but had several days to do it- so we quickly changed, grabbed our ears and ran off to Magic Kingdom!

On our way to the bus we picked up a birthday button!:D:D

One of the things I was most excited to see was Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire and we needed to hurry to make the last show of the day! Those pictures coming up next :)[/url]

abzoo

Just read your whole TR in the past couple days-- I was hooked!! Awesome pictures (what's your instagram?)! Your family is adorable, especially in the scavenger hunt. My family could never get as much done as you guys did and there would be a lot of arguing too. haha.

Very excited to read your future reports! My best friend is coming to Florida in October and we're going to have an awesome Disney week. We're trying to finish our planning and your report is giving me lots of ideas (Garden Grill, Splitsville, lapu lapus, Hoop De Doo?)

samantha788

Original Poster
Just read your whole TR in the past couple days-- I was hooked!! Awesome pictures (what's your instagram?)! Your family is adorable, especially in the scavenger hunt. My family could never get as much done as you guys did and there would be a lot of arguing too. haha.

Very excited to read your future reports! My best friend is coming to Florida in October and we're going to have an awesome Disney week. We're trying to finish our planning and your report is giving me lots of ideas (Garden Grill, Splitsville, lapu lapus, Hoop De Doo?)
Ah thank you!! So glad you enjoyed :)
instagram: samwnek
I think you should do them ALL!! When in October?! I'll be there with my best friend and her husband, her only request was Hoop Dee Doo - I just got off the phone booking it for October 7th :rolleyes:

abzoo

Ah thank you!! So glad you enjoyed :)
instagram: samwnek
I think you should do them ALL!! When in October?! I'll be there with my best friend and her husband, her only request was Hoop Dee Doo - I just got off the phone booking it for October 7th :rolleyes:

Following your insta now! Our trip starts on the 18th. We went to Hoop Dee Doo together 2 years ago and had a blast but I don't know if she wants to do that again or try new things. I'm definitely going to bring it up though. There's sooo much to do-- I feel like we're already running out of time and we're still 47 days out!

samantha788

Original Poster
Hi everyone! Been so busy with moving, my next trip is sneaking up so fast...thank you @FlaggNL for reminding me I wanted to do a mini pre-trip report here!

I'm calling this the Third Annual, Third Wheel Food & Wine trip :)
It's the third year in a row my best friend Emily & I are getting to go to food & wine, but the third wheel is because Emily's husband, JP (also one of my best friends), is joining us too!
The real question is who is the third wheel, me or JP? If you ask our friends, they'd say JP :hilarious:

This picture from their wedding sums it up perfectly:p
em sam jp.png

WHEN:
Wednesday, October 5th - Sunday, October 9th

WHERE:
We're doing a split stay, not really by choice - I didn't really have that many options when it came to booking.
To my surprise though, a great deal came up for a 1 Bedroom Villa at the Boardwalk! I was so surprised and grabbed it right away. It'll be my first time staying at one of the resorts around EPCOT and we can't wait to be within walking distance to food & wine!
We are staying there Wednesday - Friday then Friday- Sunday we are at Saratoga Springs. Another resort I haven't stayed at yet but this was a good opportunity to try (and also pretty much the only thing I could find for over that weekend when booking)

PLANS
This is the same week the THE CHEW is filming at EPCOT! One of my favorite shows and one of my friends that works there hooked me up with tickets! This is definitely one of the things I am most looking forward to this trip.

WEDNESDAY:
Once we get there spending the night at Magic Kingdom for some EMH and the LAST time we'll get to see the electric parade:cry::cry:

THURSDAY:
Fastpasses for Hollywood Studios in the morning, then EPCOT/Food & Wine all afternoon and night

FRIDAY:
THE CHEW taping!
Magic Kingdom in the afternoon
Hoop Dee Doo (Emily's only request) at night :)

SATURDAY:
Animal Kingdom in the morning
More Food & Wine

SUNDAY:
Emily & JP leave early so i'm not sure where i'll go or what i'll do before my flight in the afternoon

I can't believe it's coming up SO fast! I've been so distracted and overwhelmed between moving and work, this trip is MUCH needed.

samantha788

Original Poster
AHHH so soon!!! The Chew taping sounds really fun. I don't think I've ever watched it (it's daytime, right? I'm never home), but I'll have to watch the episode they do at Epcot!
Yes! They are taping shows that Wednesday - Friday! I'm not sure which week they'll air, but they did it last year too and the episodes were so fun :)

kaitertot5249

This was a fantastic trip report, I just read all of it while procrastinating on a big project at work... oops! Your photos are incredible, especially the ones of Festival of Fantasy and Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire! Do you have any Disney photography tips for the newbies?

Scoppin

I was just rereading/viewing your trip report. Forgot how awesome all your pictures are. I have been going through all of my pictures, and there are many. However, I am not sure if I want to post any. Not in the same league as yours. :(o_O

I really should get started on my post report.

Have fun on your upcoming trips.

samantha788

Original Poster
This was a fantastic trip report, I just read all of it while procrastinating on a big project at work... oops! Your photos are incredible, especially the ones of Festival of Fantasy and Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire! Do you have any Disney photography tips for the newbies?
Thank you so much for all the kind words! I appreciate it :)
I really just try to have fun with it! I don't stress out about certain shots, I try to be creative, and I love taking photos of the characters and castle so when I get a shot that I love or capture a fun/special moment, it makes it so exciting for me :)

I was just rereading/viewing your trip report. Forgot how awesome all your pictures are. I have been going through all of my pictures, and there are many. However, I am not sure if I want to post any. Not in the same league as yours. :(o_O

I really should get started on my post report.

Have fun on your upcoming trips.
Thank you! You have to post your photos- I can't wait to hear about your trip!!

AuburnBelle919

Just finished reading your whole trip report-loved it!! Especially the pictures-they were FABULOUS! My goal is to be able to take pictures like this!
That's so exciting you get to go to The Chew taping-I was at Epcot this weekend and they had the stage up. I think the sign near the stage said that the episodes would air Oct 11-14. May try to DVR them-it would be cool to see their coverage of the Food and Wine Festival. Can't wait to read about your upcoming trips!

drcasey

I loved reading this trip report! Definitely brightened up my Monday. You will LOVE staying at the Epcot resorts! Being right on the boardwalk and being able to walk right up to the world showcase is the best, nothing beats it! We stayed in a one bedroom villa at the Boardwalk in April, enjoy :)

DimpledDevil18

I really enjoyed reading your trip report! Your family seems really fun and your parents are adorable! I loved the scavenger hunt idea, but I think if I tried it with my family there would be a murder lol.

I wish I could spend my birthday in Disney one year, but unfortunately my birthday is Sept 9th which is always near the beginning of the school year and I teach. Maybe some day... That would be awesome.

I totally get you on at the end of the trip looking at all you've done and STILL realizing there was so much you didn't do. We missed a lot too and unfortunately we had to move at a very busy pace to try to see as much as we could because we don't know when we'll be back. We didn't really get a chance to relax and do some more of the little things we wished we had done.

You are so lucky that you are getting to go for another trip for Food and Wine. That is another some day trip for me.

samantha788

Original Poster
Just finished reading your whole trip report-loved it!! Especially the pictures-they were FABULOUS! My goal is to be able to take pictures like this!
That's so exciting you get to go to The Chew taping-I was at Epcot this weekend and they had the stage up. I think the sign near the stage said that the episodes would air Oct 11-14. May try to DVR them-it would be cool to see their coverage of the Food and Wine Festival. Can't wait to read about your upcoming trips!
Such a compliment, thank you! And yesterday we got an email about the Thursday/Friday tapings being canceled :cry::cry: I was probably most looking forward to this so am pretty bummed we're missing it. They could get us in today but we wouldn't make it in time

I loved reading this trip report! Definitely brightened up my Monday. You will LOVE staying at the Epcot resorts! Being right on the boardwalk and being able to walk right up to the world showcase is the best, nothing beats it! We stayed in a one bedroom villa at the Boardwalk in April, enjoy :)
Glad I could brighten up your Monday!! Great to hear about the boardwalk, will be there in a few hours!

I really enjoyed reading your trip report! Your family seems really fun and your parents are adorable! I loved the scavenger hunt idea, but I think if I tried it with my family there would be a murder lol.

I wish I could spend my birthday in Disney one year, but unfortunately my birthday is Sept 9th which is always near the beginning of the school year and I teach. Maybe some day... That would be awesome.

I totally get you on at the end of the trip looking at all you've done and STILL realizing there was so much you didn't do. We missed a lot too and unfortunately we had to move at a very busy pace to try to see as much as we could because we don't know when we'll be back. We didn't really get a chance to relax and do some more of the little things we wished we had done.

You are so lucky that you are getting to go for another trip for Food and Wine. That is another some day trip for me.
Thank you for reading!! It was so fun to get to spend time with my family and be over my birthday:) I hope you get to go back soon!

samantha788

Original Poster
On the plane now, about to check "hurricane in Disney World" off my bucket list, even though it was never an item on that list :rolleyes:
Trying to make the best of it, beyond bummed that our taping of The Chew was cancelled, but would still take a rainy hurricane day in Disney World over a day at home :)
IMG_4899.JPG

Scoppin

Not to be the bearer of bad news but it was just reported the parks will close today at 5:00 pm and remain closed on Friday until Matthew has passed. Sorry it is going to have a downer on your trip. Maybe they will do something to make up for it, even though they can't control the weather.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom