25th Anniversary, Limited Mobility - Suggestions?

Dafid Duck

Original Poster
My wife and I are thinking of going back to the World for our 25th wedding anniversary. She has some health problems which would limit her mobility, but would prefer not to get a scooter. We have been to Disney four times before but not in the last five years and never without our daughter. Any suggestions to make a silver anniversary even more magical?

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
TBH get her a scooter. In the long run she'll appreciate it. I know people around here hate them (myself included) but I have the same conundrum with my father.

DisneyJoe

As someone with a mobility issue since birth, and who suffered through too many years of being Mr Tough Guy walking on my crutches for 10-14+ hours in the parks and getting blisters and other issues, the best thing I ever did was listen to a friend in 2008 and use an ECV. My enjoyment of the parks has increased immensely since then.

Dafid Duck

Original Poster
As someone with a mobility issue since birth, and who suffered through too many years of being Mr Tough Guy walking on my crutches for 10-14+ hours in the parks and getting blisters and other issues, the best thing I ever did was listen to a friend in 2008 and use an ECV. My enjoyment of the parks has increased immensely since then.

I agree, and I'll keep trying to convince her, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to win that battle. She knows what she's up against walking around the parks and I agreed we would take it much easier.

Minnie Mum

Sorry, OP, but I agree with the others. Rent an ECV (or, if she's a bad driver or intimidated by the crowds, a wheelchair that you will have to push). Better to swallow ones pride and be able to enjoy a longer pain free day in the parks, than to struggle along on one's own. Look on the scooter as a necessary aid, much like a pair of reading glasses.

As for making your trip a special one (congrats by the way), be sure to get an anniversary or celebrating button at your resort or a guest relations desk. You'll get a lot of Congratulations and Happy Anniversarys from the CMs. Book a nice dinner at one of your favorite signature restaurants, maybe with a bottle of bubbly. Or go whole hog and book V&As for a truly memorable evening. If you're staying at a Port Orleans resort, you could book a ride on one of their horse drawn carriages. The ride along the river can be very romantic.

Dafid Duck

Original Poster
Sorry, OP, but I agree with the others. Rent an ECV (or, if she's a bad driver or intimidated by the crowds, a wheelchair that you will have to push). Better to swallow ones pride and be able to enjoy a longer pain free day in the parks, than to struggle along on one's own. Look on the scooter as a necessary aid, much like a pair of reading glasses.

As for making your trip a special one (congrats by the way), be sure to get an anniversary or celebrating button at your resort or a guest relations desk. You'll get a lot of Congratulations and Happy Anniversarys from the CMs. Book a nice dinner at one of your favorite signature restaurants, maybe with a bottle of bubbly. Or go whole hog and book V&As for a truly memorable evening. If you're staying at a Port Orleans resort, you could book a ride on one of their horse drawn carriages. The ride along the river can be very romantic.

Thank you. We have been wanting to get back to Port Orleans. We were there for our15th anniversary with our 10 year old daughter. Smaller resort less walking.

s&k'smom

Congratulations on your anniversary. I agree scooter LOL. Have you guys thought about going to one of the resort restaurants for dinner? That can be very romantic, I highly recommend the Poly, something about walking with the tiki torches lit and music playing.

Dafid Duck

Original Poster
Congratulations on your anniversary. I agree scooter LOL. Have you guys thought about going to one of the resort restaurants for dinner? That can be very romantic, I highly recommend the Poly, something about walking with the tiki torches lit and music playing.

That brings up another issue. We usually drive down from the northeast so we are able to drive on our own from resort to resort. Due to limited time available we would need to fly. We love resort dining but fear it will be too difficult to get to with Disney transportation. You still can't go from resort to resort on a bus, right?

KrzyKtty

That brings up another issue. We usually drive down from the northeast so we are able to drive on our own from resort to resort. Due to limited time available we would need to fly. We love resort dining but fear it will be too difficult to get to with Disney transportation. You still can't go from resort to resort on a bus, right?
No, but if you wanted to save money by not renting a car you could look at getting an Uber or Taxi. I know quite a few people on this board swear by it.

shipley731

Another vote for uber for getting from resort to resort. My husband & I do this all the time. Cost is generally minimal & is well worth the time saved from navigating the buses. Uber from Yacht Club to French Quarter ran us about $7 or $8 last time we were there.

NeedMoreMickey

My husband was in a car accident last summer so on our October trip we rented him a ECV had it delivered to the resort. Made the trip so much nicer because he wasn't tired or in a lot of pain. Remember to mention that you are celebrating your 25 year anniversary when you check in. When we checked in we were given the Happily Ever After pins and the CM wrote 25 years on the pins. We wore them all week because 25 years merits an entire week of celebrating. At a few restaurants our table was decorated with sparkle and confetti. It was nice when everyone wished us a Happy Anniversary.

Smiley/OCD

Rent a scooter for her...Buena Vista scooters are the best. It will be waiting for you when you arrive (just remember to plug it in every night and while dining...restaurants will let you plug it in). If she has never used one, take 15 minutes before you get on the bus the first time, and let her get used to steering, stopping, etc. It will make for a much better trip! She may hate it at the beginning, but she'll love it after her first day! I can understand her apprehension about using one, I have MS, but can walk short distances....the guilt sucks, but she truly needs it as do I now, so tell her not to worry and enjoy your trip! The last time we were there in March,2016, my family and friends averaged 12 miles a day walking...I couldn't make it 1/4 of a mile! Happy Anniversary!!!!

Dafid Duck

Original Poster
How about any hidden, grown up / romantic aspects of the parks? We like going to the parks at night because they have a different feel about them. Not necessarily whole new activities, but things in the parks that adults may appreciate more.

Thank you for all of the suggestions so far!

elliot

Just went last year for our 25th, and my DW is likewise disabled. I can only echo everyone else's sentiment about the scooter. Get one! But rent it from offsite so you have it everywhere. It's much better to enjoy your trip side by side than back to front pushing a wheelchair or whatnot. The park one's are too expensive and obviously they have to be left at the gate. There are charging stations throughout all parks and you have a mobile water bottle/jacket/umbrella/stuff holder. In all the restaurants we went to, the cast members were great about parking it out of the way once we were seated and bringing it back when we were done. Buses are a non-issue as well. The drivers will load you up first alone and get her all buckled in and safe, then they'll open the doors for everyone else. You'll get let off last, but that give you time with the driver to get some transportation trading cards not in front of everyone!!! Her disability had surprisingly minimal impact on us having the same experience we had when she was walking. I would really try to convince her on the scooter.

Because it was our 25th, I had some special shirts made from Etsy and surprised her with them once we got there. The pins are a must. You may very well get some special treatment from some cast members. We ate at a few nicer($$$) places we usually wouldn't. The day of our anniversary, we ate on the top floor of the Contemporary and watched the fireworks from the roof. I also did the flower thing someone above mentioned, so she had a nice "Frozen" surprise when we got back. It was very memorable. Congrats and have a magical time.

Simba's Mom

Gotta agree with everyone else. The first time I "had to" rent a scooter (because I was just in so much pain), I actually called home crying-"Guess what-I'm actually on a scooter". I was mortified/so ashamed. But by the second day, I was thinking "What took me so long?"
And my suggestion for your anniversary-pick-a-pearl. For our 25th, we got a pearl ring. DH picked the oyster/pearl, and I picked the setting. I wear that ring every day, even 10 years later.

Dafid Duck

Original Poster
Gotta agree with everyone else. The first time I "had to" rent a scooter (because I was just in so much pain), I actually called home crying-"Guess what-I'm actually on a scooter". I was mortified/so ashamed. But by the second day, I was thinking "What took me so long?"
And my suggestion for your anniversary-pick-a-pearl. For our 25th, we got a pearl ring. DH picked the oyster/pearl, and I picked the setting. I wear that ring every day, even 10 years later.

We heard about the pick a pearl on the last day of our last trip five years ago. Thanks for the reminder. I probably would have forgotten it.

Dafid Duck

Original Poster
Our anniversary is just before Christmas so resort touring is a very special part of a Disney anniversary celebration.

Ideas you have given me so far: off site scooter, Uber from resort to resort, definitely anniversary buttons, night time boat ride or carriage, and pick a pearl. Thank you for the suggestions. This is great keep them coming.

MissViv

If she absolutely refuses to get a scooter, stay at one of the monorail hotels. On our last trip we stayed at the Contemporary and love the easy access to and from MK and Epcot. You will still need the buses (of course) for AK and DS. My husbands health is not so good and we were there during a Marathon (adult kids running) and he needed frequent rests and a nap each day. We would go to the park early and stay a short few hours and hit the fast passes, have lunch and back to the hotel to rest and then back to the park at night for a few more hours. We had a fabulous time and we never thought we would make it and thought about a scooter but he didn't want to do it either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom