25 Years Later I Finally Return! Advice To Make It Magical!

Figments Friend

Regarding DL Express service from SNA ( John Wayne Airport ).....just a heads up.
I was looking into using the service again for a upcoming visit but discovered service ends after 7PM local time for SNA.
So if you are arriving on a flight after that time, DL Express will not be a option from this airport.

Good to hear about the current taxi rates from SNA.
I arrive in three weeks on a late flight from the East Coast and was wondering what the rates were these days from this airport to the Resort area.

stevehousse

Original Poster
Regarding DL Express service from SNA ( John Wayne Airport ).....just a heads up.
I was looking into using the service again for a upcoming visit but discovered service ends after 7PM local time for SNA.
So if you are arriving on a flight after that time, DL Express will not be a option from this airport.

I arrive in three weeks on a late flight from the East Coast and was wondering what the rates were these days from this airport to the Resort area.
I hope u have an awesome time! We can't can't to go!

JamieD

How were the crowds there in July? Since I'm going in May I don't think the crowd levels would be too bad except for the 24 hour party if they decide to do it next year again! Would u say you could easily get a lot done in one day?

Strangely, Sunday, July 6 was the lightest day. I'm guessing because of blackouts and folks returning from the holiday weekend. The week picked up after that but not to the point of ridiculousness. I've seen MK or even a Six Flags much less manageable with the crowds.

I totally believe a taxi is the way to go. Small sample size, I know, but we had a great experience.

July 6th- 13th! I probably saw you without even knowing it! :D:p

We probably did! I was wearing a Mickey shirt.

Figments Friend

I hope u have an awesome time! We can't can't to go!

Thanks, and i wish you the same.
Despite having visited Disney Theme Parks for over 30+ years, the anticipation one feels as the visit draws closer is still exciting...even after all this time.

Disneyland is a wonderful, refreshing change from the 'familiar scene' at WDW.
Very much looking forward to treading the grounds of the 'Original' once more!

JediMasterMatt

Congrats on your upcoming trip. I'll chime in on some of your questions with my advice.

Re: where to stay - my wife and I have recently gotten into the routine of using Camelot for our DLR visits. The rooms are big, clean, and it's very close to the crosswalk to the Parks. Nothing bad to say about this hotel option. We just returned from a week long stay this past Saturday with our niece joining us.

Re: transportation from SNA to the hotel - well, you've already made the most important choice in flying into John Wayne instead of LAX (we usually do but flew into LAX this past trip since we tried to get a direct flight that ended up changing anyway - never again). We usually just grab a cab from SNA to the hotel; but, this past trip we used limos.com and prebooked a towncar from LAX>DLR for the 3 of us for like $90 w/tip included. I will likely use this service again. We usually budget an hour to travel; but, most of the time it's a 25 minute ride.

Re: restaurants - You are correct that dining in DLR is vastly different than WDW. It still pays to preplan though. Blue Bayou is a great place to eat if you want to soak up the ambience. That is the main attraction to a visit here. For a first time visitor, I recommend it as it is a part of DLR history. Lunch is a good way to fit it into the schedule. Other Quick Service options in DLR that I can recommend are: Hungry Bear and Harbour Gallery (the stuffed baked potatoes are a great way to recharge your battery). For CA, the sit down options should factor in World of Color. Trust me on the following little known tidbit - all 3 WoC packages are not created equal in terms of viewing. WoC's viewing location zones seem to fluctuate frequently; but, the way the reserved viewing works does not. On our most recent visit the "best" viewing locations (front and center) actually went Trattoria and Grotto in a section called "Preferred Dining" and Carthay had a separate section set to the side of them with a separate entrance. The little known tidbit is that Carthay gets first dibs on ANY section a guest wants to view the show from - including the other two premium sections and the regular fast pass sections. This information is not commonly known to even the Guest Show Operations crew; but, can be confirmed with any of the team leads. This comes in handy if you want to get the best view possible as with a Carthay ticket, you can show up before they start letting guests in and let the cast member know where you want to go and they will let you in before they send anyone else. In my opinion, WoC is currently the best of the nighttime spectactulars IF you get into a good location. Being on the show's centerline is very important as it has a very limited viewing angle where all of the mist projection screens actually line up. Also, in my opinion, to get the full spectacle of the show - you need to be up against the railing down front in the wet zone. Only there can you see the surface effects cleanly and only there can you see how the individual droplets of water reflect the light. Up front and center, WoC is awe inspiring. Of course, you may get wet. May is the best way to describe it as even last week, there were shows up front where I didn't get a drop on me and others where we got soaked. So, if you are trying to get WoC reservations, Carthay is my choice. It just so happens that Carthay is also constantly excellent quality food as well. CA has several good QS options; but, Flo's always gets a visit from us.

Re: When to visit - I'm a big believer that you shouldn't go out of your way to plan around really low crowds at DLR as when you do, you get reduced operating hours and more importantly - reduced entertainment and run into ride refurbs. Other than avoiding the BIG holidays, there isn't as much concern at DLR as WDW as Anaheim has much greater ride and attraction capacity per park that can soak up the crowds.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

PacNWTigger

It's sooo much easier to get things done at DLR!! You can hold fast passes for BOTH parks at the same time plus have an additional fast pass for WOC. Things are more laid back...reservations aren't necessary unless you want to eat at Blue Bayou for dinner (I hear that lunch is better though)...and just about everything is within walking distance.

JillC LI

How were the crowds there in July? Since I'm going in May I don't think the crowd levels would be too bad except for the 24 hour party if they decide to do it next year again! Would u say you could easily get a lot done in one day?

As I mentioned, we were just there in May. We did not have early admission on either day because we only visited for 2 days total and stayed off property. So we went to DCA the first day (when there was early admission to DL) and to DL the second day when there was early admission to DCA (and Grad Nite). The day we were at DCA was low crowds and we were able to ride and experience just about everything we wanted to. We did not book any sit-down meals and ate some wonderful QS meals. We made wise use of FPs. The next day we were at DL and it was quite crowded with grads, but we still were able to do almost everything we wanted with the use of FPs. We were exhausted by the end of both days. But to answer your question, yes you can get an enormous amount done in one day.

stevehousse

Original Poster
Congrats on your upcoming trip. I'll chime in on some of your questions with my advice.

Re: where to stay - my wife and I have recently gotten into the routine of using Camelot for our DLR visits. The rooms are big, clean, and it's very close to the crosswalk to the Parks. Nothing bad to say about this hotel option. We just returned from a week long stay this past Saturday with our niece joining us.

Re: transportation from SNA to the hotel - well, you've already made the most important choice in flying into John Wayne instead of LAX (we usually do but flew into LAX this past trip since we tried to get a direct flight that ended up changing anyway - never again). We usually just grab a cab from SNA to the hotel; but, this past trip we used limos.com and prebooked a towncar from LAX>DLR for the 3 of us for like $90 w/tip included. I will likely use this service again. We usually budget an hour to travel; but, most of the time it's a 25 minute ride.

Re: restaurants - You are correct that dining in DLR is vastly different than WDW. It still pays to preplan though. Blue Bayou is a great place to eat if you want to soak up the ambience. That is the main attraction to a visit here. For a first time visitor, I recommend it as it is a part of DLR history. Lunch is a good way to fit it into the schedule. Other Quick Service options in DLR that I can recommend are: Hungry Bear and Harbour Gallery (the stuffed baked potatoes are a great way to recharge your battery). For CA, the sit down options should factor in World of Color. Trust me on the following little known tidbit - all 3 WoC packages are not created equal in terms of viewing. WoC's viewing location zones seem to fluctuate frequently; but, the way the reserved viewing works does not. On our most recent visit the "best" viewing locations (front and center) actually went Trattoria and Grotto in a section called "Preferred Dining" and Carthay had a separate section set to the side of them with a separate entrance. The little known tidbit is that Carthay gets first dibs on ANY section a guest wants to view the show from - including the other two premium sections and the regular fast pass sections. This information is not commonly known to even the Guest Show Operations crew; but, can be confirmed with any of the team leads. This comes in handy if you want to get the best view possible as with a Carthay ticket, you can show up before they start letting guests in and let the cast member know where you want to go and they will let you in before they send anyone else. In my opinion, WoC is currently the best of the nighttime spectactulars IF you get into a good location. Being on the show's centerline is very important as it has a very limited viewing angle where all of the mist projection screens actually line up. Also, in my opinion, to get the full spectacle of the show - you need to be up against the railing down front in the wet zone. Only there can you see the surface effects cleanly and only there can you see how the individual droplets of water reflect the light. Up front and center, WoC is awe inspiring. Of course, you may get wet. May is the best way to describe it as even last week, there were shows up front where I didn't get a drop on me and others where we got soaked. So, if you are trying to get WoC reservations, Carthay is my choice. It just so happens that Carthay is also constantly excellent quality food as well. CA has several good QS options; but, Flo's always gets a visit from us.

Re: When to visit - I'm a big believer that you shouldn't go out of your way to plan around really low crowds at DLR as when you do, you get reduced operating hours and more importantly - reduced entertainment and run into ride refurbs. Other than avoiding the BIG holidays, there isn't as much concern at DLR as WDW as Anaheim has much greater ride and attraction capacity per park that can soak up the crowds.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank u! We so totally have a late lunch at DL planned for Blue Bayou! We also plan to have dinner at Hungry Bear/Harbour Gallery one night! The menus look too good! Will I be able to take the harbour food into hungry bear. We want to get stuff from both places to try! And we r about 90% positive we will do Camelot for our stay, the 2 bedroom suite.

Also thank u so much for the WOC advice! We weren't too fond of the menus for WOC and really liked the regular menu for Wine Country. We will have to look again! I will say that the QS at DCA doesn't seem as good as DLs.

It's sooo much easier to get things done at DLR!! You can hold fast passes for BOTH parks at the same time plus have an additional fast pass for WOC. Things are more laid back...reservations aren't necessary unless you want to eat at Blue Bayou for dinner (I hear that lunch is better though)...and just about everything is within walking distance.
Thanks! We r so excited to go! Would u say FPs r easy to come by? Do any really "sell out" very fast? The only 2 I've really heard of going fast was RSR and Indiana Jones.

As I mentioned, we were just there in May. We did not have early admission on either day because we only visited for 2 days total and stayed off property. So we went to DCA the first day (when there was early admission to DL) and to DL the second day when there was early admission to DCA (and Grad Nite). The day we were at DCA was low crowds and we were able to ride and experience just about everything we wanted to. We did not book any sit-down meals and ate some wonderful QS meals. We made wise use of FPs. The next day we were at DL and it was quite crowded with grads, but we still were able to do almost everything we wanted with the use of FPs. We were exhausted by the end of both days. But to answer your question, yes you can get an enormous amount done in one day.

That's great to know! There seems to be so much to do in each park! We r really thinking of getting hoppers for there. We will spend the first 2 days at each park for the whole day, and the last 2 day we will hop bak and forth as we see fit! (Also the hoppers will work best for us if they do decide to have another 24 hour party)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

stevehousse

Original Poster
Any more reviews or advice on Camelot Inn and Suites. We r 99% gonna go with this hotel and want to make sure we r choosing a good one.

Also, we r thinking instead of doing Uni, maybe Legoland instead. We have never been to a Legoland park before an my youngest would be able to go on a lot more rides there.

Figments Friend

I would recommend Universal Hollywood over Legoland.
I have not been to either personally, but Uni in CA is historic and it gets great reviews from theme park fans.
If you are a movie buff it seems a must do, especially with their famous studio tram tour.
DHS it is not....heh heh..!
;)

If you have concerns about your youngest being able to ride, perhaps Legoland would be the better choice.
It is up to you, but Universal Hollywood seems a must-do.

Californian Elitist

Any more reviews or advice on Camelot Inn and Suites. We r 99% gonna go with this hotel and want to make sure we r choosing a good one.

Also, we r thinking instead of doing Uni, maybe Legoland instead. We have never been to a Legoland park before an my youngest would be able to go on a lot more rides there.

Since you've got a small child (I'm assuming), go with Legoland.

stevehousse

Original Poster
That's what I was thinking. My boys just went to the doctor and my oldest is now measured in at 47 1/2 inches, and then the other is 40 1/2 inches!!! So glad the little guy finally passed that threshold! So much he will be able to do now!

merry68

Congrats! My family and I went West last June and I had a blast! My first trip to any Disney park was DL in 1981, I was 13. Fast forward to present day.. Let's just say we are headed back west, and only wish the plane ride wasn't so long.
We flew into SNA and just grabbed a taxi (I loathe shuttles due to a horrific experience at DFW several years ago).

We hope to return in late June. We found that because our bodies were on east coast time, we had no trouble getting up and hitting the parks, and got so much done. Also went during the week, arrived on Sun and left on Friday.

Happy Planning!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom