24 Hour Event In 2016? Still a Possibility?

GiveMeTheMusic

I work for the exaggeration police, and you're under arrest!

Seriously though - the general public doesn't care about DCA and that's very evident based on the two park's wildly varying attendance. DCA is still backfill for DL and is not a marquee attraction for the resort. If people are buying 1 day 1 park tickets, guess which park is overwhelmingly chosen? Not DCA.

WDW suffers from the same problem, although not quite as pronounced.

ForeverAnna

On my next trip my brother in law is only joining us for one of our two days. He has chosen the DCA day. He's kind of weird though.

D

Deleted member 107043

Seriously though - the general public doesn't care about DCA and that's very evident based on the two park's wildly varying attendance. DCA is still backfill for DL and is not a marquee attraction for the resort.

I don't want to get into a heated argument over this, but as someone from outside the area my impression is that the locals are mostly the ones who don't care about DCA and insist on proving DL's superiority over its sister park next door. Feel free to debate why, but there is a very different view of DCA, and DLR as a whole, if you talk to people who've never lived in LA/Orange County and who aren't Disneyland obsessed. Local Southern California Disney fans are a very unique breed of humans.

Travel Junkie

I don't want to get into a heated argument over this, but as someone from outside the area my impression is that the locals are mostly the ones who don't care about DCA and insist on proving DL's superiority over its sister park next door. Feel free to debate why, but there is a very different view of DCA, and DLR as a whole, if you talk to people who've never lived in LA/Orange County and who aren't Disneyland obsessed. Local Southern California Disney fans are a very unique breed of humans.

I do agree with you that DCA is held in much higher regard with people that live outside of So Cal, particularly those that typically visit WDW and see DCA as a better DHS, especially after the redo. The same could be said of DTD. So Cal has a lot of great malls so DTD is nothing special or even below average for the area. Out of towners may not be used to a So Cal outdoor mall and generally have a much higher opinion of DTD. I have friends who come and visit and rave about DTD. I kind of scratch my head.

I would say the same thing about the Nor Cal breed of humans ;)

Curious Constance

Seriously though - the general public doesn't care about DCA and that's very evident based on the two park's wildly varying attendance. DCA is still backfill for DL and is not a marquee attraction for the resort. If people are buying 1 day 1 park tickets, guess which park is overwhelmingly chosen? Not DCA.

WDW suffers from the same problem, although not quite as pronounced.

I don't think you can make that statement, "The general public doesn't care about DCA." just because it's not as popular as DL. I go to my mom more often than my dad, but that doesn't mean I don't care about my dad. As an out of towner, I'm THRILLED there are two parks to fill a trip to the DLR resort. Spending that kind of money to come down there, I so appreciate having more to do than just DL since most of the time we don't even have a car when we're there. DL is my favorite park, but I still love DCA. Yes, I think it ultimately needs more rides, and some themimg improvements, but I think it's silly to make that blanket statement about the place. Disneyland has been around for 60 years, DCA 15, of course DL will be the preferred park for a lot of people, but I guarantee you the general public does care about DCA if they at all care about going to the DLR resort.

Californian Elitist

I don't think you can make that statement, "The general public doesn't care about DCA." just because it's not as popular as DL. I go to my mom more often than my dad, but that doesn't mean I don't care about my dad. As an out of towner, I'm THRILLED there are two parks to fill a trip to the DLR resort. Spending that kind of money to come down there, I so appreciate having more to do than just DL since most of the time we don't even have a car when we're there. DL is my favorite park, but I still love DCA. Yes, I think it ultimately needs more rides, and some themimg improvements, but I think it's silly to make that blanket statement about the place. Disneyland has been around for 60 years, DCA 15, of course DL will be the preferred park for a lot of people, but I guarantee you the general public does care about DCA if they at all care about going to the DLR resort.

It's very safe to make the statement that Disneyland fans, for the most part, don't care about DCA, and the company knows this. As you said, the AP events are always held at Disneyland.

It's not only the fact that Disneyland is older. It's the fact that Disneyland is the first, the only park Walt Disney had a personal hand in and visited, Disneyland's rich history, the tradition that's been established over the last 60 years, etc. I know Disneyland fans who like to pretend the parks at WDW and any other Disney park that's not Disneyland don't exist. I also know Disneyland fans who wish the old parking lot where DCA now sits was still there.

The magnitude of love, adoration, respect, and even obsession fans have for Disneyland can't be underestimated. All one has to do is look at discussion forums, surveys, attendance, etc. to realize just how little Disneyland fans care for DCA. Just look through our forum and count how many threads are dedicated to DCA and only DCA. When Cars Land and Buena Vista Street were being built, we had threads going on, but after they opened in 2012, the focus went straight back to Disneyland. The only time DCA gets mentioned in this forum is when WoC, Cars Land, or Mad T Party gets brought up, or when someone else has something to complain about, such as a bug's land or Paradise Pier.

Travel Junkie

The actual viability of the projects can be questioned, but when 2nd gates like Westcot and Disney Sea were thrown around and you end up with DCA, it was kind of a letdown to locals.

Tokyo DisneySea opened the same year as DCA. When you see those two parks boggles my mind they opened the same year.

D

Deleted member 107043

So Cal has a lot of great malls so DTD is nothing special or even below average for the area. Out of towners may not be used to a So Cal outdoor mall and generally have a much higher opinion of DTD.

I've been fortunate to travel quite a bit and I've seen my share of fabulous shopping districts. DTD is pleasant enough, and it's certainly not your average shopping mall, at least in terms of design and atmosphere. Contrast it with the shopping and dining in the general vicinity of DLR, which is so awful that DTD looks like the Champs Elysee in comparison. It's no surprise why it appeals to visitors; it's the only upscale place to hang out within walking distance of the two Disney Parks.

I would say the same thing about the Nor Cal breed of humans

Yeah, we can be pretty quirky up here. We obsess over wine, mico-climates, farm to kitchen cuisine and where to get the best coffee. We geek out over the latest apps, or spotting Mark Zuckerberg having a picnic in Dolores Park. We complain about our ridiculously high cost of living, increasing gentrification, and snobbily mock people who call San Francisco "Frisco", but one thing a Nor Cal native is unlikely to do though is claim to be the authority on what makes Disneyland Disneyland.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 107043

I think it's an age thing too. My younger kids prefer DL while the preteen and teenager prefers DCA.

This is true. I definitely liked DL more when I was younger and didn't have to pay to get in. :joyfull: It lost a lot of appeal for me when they started going crazy with the admission prices, TBH. I still love the place, but the idea of it almost seems more attractive than actually going there, spending a ton of money, and dealing with all those people.

Curious Constance

It's very safe to make the statement that Disneyland fans, for the most part, don't care about DCA, and the company knows this. As you said, the AP events are always held at Disneyland.

It's not only the fact that Disneyland is older. It's the fact that Disneyland is the first, the only park Walt Disney had a personal hand in and visited, Disneyland's rich history, the tradition that's been established over the last 60 years, etc. I know Disneyland fans who like to pretend the parks at WDW and any other Disney park that's not Disneyland don't exist. I also know Disneyland fans who wish the old parking lot where DCA now sits was still there.

The magnitude of love, adoration, respect, and even obsession fans have for Disneyland can't be underestimated. All one has to do is look at discussion forums, surveys, attendance, etc. to realize just how little Disneyland fans care for DCA. Just look through our forum and count how many threads are dedicated to DCA and only DCA. When Cars Land and Buena Vista Street were being built, we had threads going on, but after they opened in 2012, the focus went straight back to Disneyland. The only time DCA gets mentioned in this forum is when WoC, Cars Land, or Mad T Party gets brought up, or when someone else has something to complain about, such as a bug's land or Paradise Pier.

None of this proves that the general public doesn't care for DCA. Disney obsessed people can't speak for the general public. We've a very small minority in the world. Just because something seems to be one way because of the people you know, or the places you frequent, doesn't prove it to be a fact. Again, I'm not saying Disneyland isn't the most popular, that's obvious in attendance numbers. I'm only referencing the statement that the general public doesn't care for DCA.

Phroobar

I think a lot of tourists say they are going to Disneyland but what they really mean they are going to the Disneyland Resort and will do both parks. It's kind of like how the rest of the country calls the Magic Kingdom (or even WDW in general) Disneyland. I hate that. It's insulting to Disneyland.

Californian Elitist

None of this proves that the general public doesn't care for DCA. Disney obsessed people can't speak for the general public. We've a very small minority in the world. Just because something seems to be one way because of the people you know, or the places you frequent, doesn't prove it to be a fact. Again, I'm not saying Disneyland isn't the most popular, that's obvious in attendance numbers. I'm only referencing the statement that the general public doesn't care for DCA.

No one is stating it as a fact. More of an assumption.

Quick question, are you, or have you ever been, a long-term resident of Southern California/Disneyland local with an annual pass and made regular visits?

D

Deleted member 107043

I understand why most people don't make a distinction between the two (Magic Kingdom and Disneyland). It's like when some says there's a Disneyland in China or something. To me Disneyland is as much a brand and a state of mind as it is a physical place in Anaheim. I once overheard a family at Disneyland (in Anaheim) saying that they would meet up later in "Jungleland". lol

I do have a negative reaction though when people call the Magic Kingdom Disney World for some reason. It also bugs me when east coasters and midwesterners think that WDW came before Disneyland.

Figments Friend

After last years horrendous disaster at Disneyland, i am kind of hoping they pass on doing a '24 hour party' thing this year there.
I did'nt attend in person, but watched from a distance the total meltdown of operations and saw the insanity in images here at the time.
Seemed a complete fluff up....and a bad fluff up at that.

If they DO go forward with one, i seriously hope those in charge of such things remember last years mayhem and take steps to insure everything runs smoothly this time around.
Let those in Ops who know how to run a Park on a very busy day handle it...and bring in some extra hands if necessary.

Regarding the DL / DCA topic -
I live 3,000 miles away from Southern California on another coast.
Love Disneyland. Absolutely love it.
Don't like DCA. Not at all.
Not by a longshot.

I used to visit WDW often over a 30+ year period, but i find CA far more appealing these days.
Never had a WDW AP...but i do have one for DL. Crazy, huh...?
Told you i like Disneyland a lot.
I'm just not a big fan of DCA.
It has always felt like a very 'empty' Park to me...and it reminds me a lot of DHS which is my least favorite Disney Theme Park.

I will say this, however -
The refresh in 2012 was a much needed and well done plussing.
DCA is indeed MUCH nicer now then it's original previous incarnation which i experienced in 2007.
It has indeed improved since then and now there are some scenic and well themed areas that i actually like spending some time in.
The Grizzly Peak area and Cars Land being two that come to mind immediately.
However, as a whole...it is still not enough to have me want to spend an entire day there.
The Park certainly has some potential though.

When this out-of-towner comes to town for a visit and stays for the typical week, i usually only pop over to DCA for a hour or two for a meal and a couple of Attractions.
That's it.
All other 'Park Time' is spent at Walt's Original.
Hey, Walt said that 'Disneyland is my land...' so...i kind of have to take him up on that offer!
;)

So to sum up my feelings -
DCA feels 'generic' and 'processed'.
Disneyland feels 'genuine' and 'crafted'

Just one visitors thoughts on the matter....
:)

-

Last edited:

Curious Constance

No one is stating it as a fact. More of an assumption.

Quick question, are you, or have you ever been, a long-term resident of Southern California/Disneyland local with an annual pass and made regular visits?
Nope. I'm from Pennsylvania originally. I've lived in Oregon for the last mmmmmmmm 19 years (I'm getting old), and have been to the DLR, I believe, a total of six or seven times. First visit was in 2006. Ten years ago now, wow!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom