2017 NASCAR

wdwfan4ver

The names I felt that should've been nominees mentioned were Smokey Yunick, John Holman, Ralph Moody and Randy Dorton.

I mentioned Randy Dorton because of his huge influence at Hendrick Motorsports with him being at Hendrick Motorsports in 1984 to his untimely death in October 2004. Randy was one of the people that made Hendrick Motorsports. Randy was one of the best engine builders in his era with his engines gave Hendrick Motorsports 9 championships in NASCAR. 5 of those 9 championships happened in the cup series. Hendrick won 3 truck series championships with Randy's engines. Randy's engines was responsible for Brian Vickers 2003 Busch series championship.

wdwfan4ver

Jimmie Johnson is a great driver, but this is one of the reasons he has 7 championships. He is the best 1.5 miler in NASCAR.
True. The 48 team focusses a lot on chase tracks before the chase. I am mentioning this because that ever since the chase was created, they were known to experiment at certain tracks during the summer as a way to get ahead of other times in the chase. What I mention does hurt Jimmies Legacy in terms of not be well balanced at certain tracks that caused by them focussing so much on the chase. I thought last years Championship for Jimmie shows an issue with the chase. A lot of drivers had more top 10's in 2016 than Jimmie did with Jimmie being 11th in that category last year and being 6th top 5's.

For years I thought there was too many of that type of a track in the chase.

NASCAR has road 2 road courses during the regular season, but none during the chase. The chase has its problems with short tracks. While Martinsville is nice, the chase needs a 2nd short track. I think Iowa can be the answer. The problem is the amount of race dates are in the Midwest already.

Right now, NASCAR can't do a thing about it before 2020 unless they use some of the current oval tracks that has an infield road course like Charlotte.

wdwfan4ver

I mentioned John Holman and Ralph Moody since they were the co-owners of Holman-moody. Holman-Moody as a race organization did more than win 96 cup races. They were responsible for building cars for factory backed Ford team cars including the Wood Brothers. They also did some inventions also.

Smokey Yunick was more than winning 2 cup championships and over 50 cup wins besides being known as a cheater and causing NASCAR to create new rules. Smokey Yunick was ahead of his time in aerodynamics. People have said he was over 20 years ahead. I think Smokey Yunick was blackballed out the Hall of Fame by the France Family. Supposedly Smokey said something in his book about the France family that they didn't like and Yunick never really got allow with Brian France grandfather "Big Bill" France.

artvandelay

True. The 48 team focusses a lot on chase tracks before the chase. I am mentioning this because that ever since the chase was created, they were known to experiment at certain tracks during the summer as a way to get ahead of other times in the chase. What I mention does hurt Jimmies Legacy in terms of not be well balanced at certain tracks that caused by them focussing so much on the chase. I thought last years Championship for Jimmie shows an issue with the chase. A lot of drivers had more top 10's in 2016 than Jimmie did with Jimmie being 11th in that category last year and being 6th top 5's.

For years I thought there was too many of that type of a track in the chase.

NASCAR has road 2 road courses during the regular season, but none during the chase. The chase has its problems with short tracks. While Martinsville is nice, the chase needs a 2nd short track. I think Iowa can be the answer. The problem is the amount of race dates are in the Midwest already.

Right now, NASCAR can't do a thing about it before 2020 unless they use some of the current oval tracks that has an infield road course like Charlotte.
Circuit of the Americas in Austin, TX was trying to talk to NASCAR officials about a race there. Eddie Gossage, from Texas Motor Speedway, said no way! And that is a big part of the problem. SMS and ISC will not allow someone like COTA to get their track in at the expense of one of their tracks.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Circuit of the Americas in Austin, TX was trying to talk to NASCAR officials about a race there. Eddie Gossage, from Texas Motor Speedway, said no way! And that is a big part of the problem. SMS and ISC will not allow someone like COTA to get one their track in at the expense of one of their tracks.
I did hear about COTA wanting a date. I do know that other road courses in the past wanted to be part of the cup schedule like the one in Montreal.

I always did wonder how NASCAR get away with their track Scheduling without violating federal anti-trust laws. What I am referring to is NASCAR tracks in the past tried to get cup dates. but were turned day. Kentucky waited many years for a cup date and stated a lawsuit against NASCAR and ISC from a federal anti trust law standpoint that the former owners lost. The truth is ISC and NASCAR have a lot of the same people running it like Jim France as an example. This is caused by the France Family founded NASCAR and started a race track company. Brian France's sister is the CEO of ISC and is the Executive Vice President of NASCAR.

artvandelay

I did hear about COTA wanting a date. I do know that other road courses in the past wanted to be part of the cup schedule like the one in Montreal.

I always did wonder how NASCAR get away with their track Scheduling without violating federal anti-trust laws. What I am referring to is NASCAR tracks in the past tried to get cup dates. but were turned day. Kentucky waited many years for a cup date and stated a lawsuit against NASCAR and ISC from a federal anti trust law standpoint that the former owners lost. The truth is ISC and NASCAR have a lot of the same people running it like Jim France as an example. This is caused by the France Family founded NASCAR and started a race track company. Brian France's sister is the CEO of ISC and is the Executive Vice President of NASCAR.
Yep. The relationship between ISC and NASCAR is very incestuous.

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
martin-truex-jr_19mrak8gukkc61fy434oyj9nm4.jpg

KOBALT 400, LAS VEGAS

1. Martin Truex Jr.
2. Kyle Larson
3. Chase Elliott

artvandelay

jeffgluck.com has a great video of the Kyle Busch - Joey Logano pit road altercation.

My two cents on what happened: Kyle came up on a very slow moving 2 car, moved hard left to avoid him and door banged Joey. Then, in turn 4, Joey got inside of Kyle and slid up the track and took out Kyle. I don't think Kyle meant to take out Joey, he was just trying to avoid a slow moving car and had nowhere else to go. Joey probably wanted to send Kyle a message, but not wreck him.

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR has confirmed that the Xfinity series is going to run restrictor plates at IMS.

NASCAR hasn't said this, but it sounds like if the race turns out well, the Brickyard 400 would become a plate race for 2018.

NASCAR also is considering making Pocono and Michigan races Restrictor plate races. I don't quite under the thinking of doing that for Pocono because the speeds are slow enough already there for a track that size.

I don't know if Michigan would work as a plate race for NASCAR. The track is wide enough for it , but I don't know if 18 degrees of banking the corners is enough to make it like Talladega and Daytona.

Indycar used to have a rule package in the late 1990's at Michigan that was similar to restrictor plates and it worked well. It was Indy Cars very of Talladega.

NASCAR tried a drafting package at Michigan a couple years ago and it didn't work, and is why I am not completing sure it would work although that package a couple years ago didn't have a restrictor plate.

The problem is Indycar and NASCAR are much different in terms of how the race cars. Indycar always has their car weight less less and are much faster than the cars in NASCAR are besides the aerodynamics of the 2 cars are much different.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

I am going into this attempt of making IMS better for NASCAR and what this does for NASCAR in 2021.

I am very skeptical on Making IMS a plate race for the Xfinity series. I am pointing to the 2000 New Hampshire Restrictor plate on I am so Skeptical on this. Back in 2000, NASCAR made the fall New Hampshire race for the series a plate race due to Adam Petty's death in May at the track and Kenny Irwin Jr's death in July. The fall race was safe, but the race was stinker. What caused the plate being a stinker was due to it having heavy stock cars on a track with no banking. That makes the cars couldn't pass due to the engines being restricted. IMS has no banking and I have a bad feeling as result.

The reason NASCAR is attempting restrictor plates at IMS is 4 reasons:
1.) The track is having big attendance problems for the cup race for years. The attendance was starting to decline already before the 2008 tire debacle.
2.) NASCAR is hoping better racing happens as a way to get more fans at the track.
3.) NASCAR actually believes the race cars they use are a bad fit for the IMS road course.
4.) If IMS attendance doesn't improve by the end of the tracks contract with NASCAR after 2020, the owners of the track will pull the plug on NASCAR.

If IMS decides not to have NASCAR races at their track after 2020, there is some options for the 2021 schedule. Iowa Speedway is a big favorite for the track date. Outside of Iowa, I would think having another road course race could be a big plus.

What Iowa brings to the table is a giving the cup schedule a 7th short track race. That would be the most since 1996 and brings Variety to the cup series. Variety is something the cup series would need by thansince its going to lose 1 New Hampshire speedway date to peer greed of Bruton Smith. New Hampshire is a 1 mile track, but you can have contact with other cars with it affecting the car less than it does at Vegas.

artvandelay

I am going into this attempt of making IMS better for NASCAR and what this does for NASCAR in 2021.

I am very skeptical on Making IMS a plate race for the Xfinity series. I am pointing to the 2000 New Hampshire Restrictor plate on I am so Skeptical on this. Back in 2000, NASCAR made the fall New Hampshire race for the series a plate race due to Adam Petty's death in May at the track and Kenny Irwin Jr's death in July. The fall race was safe, but the race was stinker. What caused the plate being a stinker was due to it having heavy stock cars on a track with no banking. That makes the cars couldn't pass due to the engines being restricted. IMS has no banking and I have a bad feeling as result.

The reason NASCAR is attempting restrictor plates at IMS is 4 reasons:
1.) The track is having big attendance problems for the cup race for years. The attendance was starting to decline already before the 2008 tire debacle.
2.) NASCAR is hoping better racing happens as a way to get more fans at the track.
3.) NASCAR actually believes the race cars they use are a bad fit for the IMS road course.
4.) If IMS attendance doesn't improve by the end of the tracks contract with NASCAR after 2020, the owners of the track will pull the plug on NASCAR.

If IMS decides not to have NASCAR races at their track after 2020, there is some options for the 2021 schedule. Iowa Speedway is a big favorite for the track date. Outside of Iowa, I would think having another road course race could be a big plus.

What Iowa brings to the table is a giving the cup schedule a 7th short track race. That would be the most since 1996 and brings Variety to the cup series. Variety is something the cup series would need by thansince its going to lose 1 New Hampshire speedway date to peer greed of Bruton Smith. New Hampshire is a 1 mile track, but you can have contact with other cars with it affecting the car less than it does at Vegas.
I agree. More short tracks and road courses. I wonder how Cup cars would perform on a street track like ST. Pete or Baltimore?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom