2017 Epcot Food and Wine Festival beginning August 31st

jt04

Good to see you still spitting out your nonsense. Disney has killed what used to be a beautiful place. A place you could go and enjoy a nice relaxful time. Now it's so crowded during F&W you just wait in lines and deal with obnoxious people. You pay higher prices for worse food, beer and wine. All the money Disney makes off adding dates to F&W is not going to improve Epcot it's going in their pockets. Disney acts like a person who after years of being good and staying away from drugs got their first hit and can't stop themselves. There will be a time even the pixie dusters won't come anymore.

Who is the "their" you refer to????? I do not think things work like you think they do.

SSH

Ugh, it's way too hot to enjoy food and wine at the end of August and for most of September

I agree with this 100%. I wouldn't go anywhere near F&W during this time, not because of crowds, but because I just cannot stand the thought of how uncomfortable it would be.

Waiting in long lines for tiny samples, then eating them over garbage cans or at curbside in the broiling heat and humidity? No way. Not ever. Not even if they were giving away all food/drink samples w/park admission like traditional food/wine events I've attended.

To each his or her own. I'm glad others will enjoy, but I guess I'm high maintenance - I need a table, a chair and some cold AC that time of year to enjoy dining.:D I only do food/wine events in late fall through early spring.

Otterhead

I agree with this 100%. I wouldn't go anywhere near F&W during this time, not because of crowds, but because I just cannot stand the thought of how uncomfortable it would be.

Waiting in long lines for tiny samples, then eating them over garbage cans or at curbside in the broiling heat and humidity?
It has indeed gotten more and more crowded; the first time my friends and I did F&W, we felt like we'd found a "cheat code" to amazing food at a slow time at WDW. Now everyone's in on the "secret" and the crowds are utterly bonkers. The only time I've seen it more crowded than F&W 2016 was New Years' Eve. And having been to Epcot in August several times as a kid... never again.

That said, while it depends on the booth, I wouldn't classify the food as "tiny samples". It's very easy to use your snack credits for the food and have a terrific meal by just stopping at a few booths.

All the money Disney makes off adding dates to F&W is not going to improve Epcot it's going in their pockets.
Um... yes, that's how profit works. When the park is packed, they make more money. And that money can go to improve the park.

Bolt

Blessing and a curse because most of my friends from other states actually set their vacations around food and wine, so in the end I like that it's a hook for my non-Disneyphile friends to visit.

csmat99

It has indeed gotten more and more crowded; the first time my friends and I did F&W, we felt like we'd found a "cheat code" to amazing food at a slow time at WDW. Now everyone's in on the "secret" and the crowds are utterly bonkers. The only time I've seen it more crowded than F&W 2016 was New Years' Eve. And having been to Epcot in August several times as a kid... never again.

That said, while it depends on the booth, I wouldn't classify the food as "tiny samples". It's very easy to use your snack credits for the food and have a terrific meal by just stopping at a few booths.

Um... yes, that's how profit works. When the park is packed, they make more money. And that money can go to improve the park.
But they haven't done anything to improve Epcot with ALL those profits especially in last 10-15 years but they keep on extending the F&W. I used to love F&W but like others have said you keep expanding it and it doesn't become a special event anymore. It dilutes the product the same way the NFL shot themselves in the foot getting greedy and adding Thursday night football which even the fans didn't want. You keep going for the low hanging fruit you will never be able to reach for the sky. And even if all these changes that we hear rumors are actually coming to epcot it will be 20 years after they should of started happening. That is a whole generation of kids that didn't get to experience what epcot was and will have to take their own kids to see if it can become great again. It's shameful.

Otterhead

But they haven't done anything to improve Epcot with ALL those profits especially in last 10-15 years but they keep on extending the F&W.
Not sure if you were following the news this past week coming out of Destination D, but they announced a massive investment in Epcot to hugely improve the park over the next 3-5 years.

csmat99

Not sure if you were following the news this past week coming out of Destination D, but they announced a massive investment in Epcot to hugely improve the park over the next 3-5 years.
I will believe it when it actually gets done and shovel hits the ground. Like I mentioned they literally have done nothing with the park for years especially when you are talking new experiences.

Otterhead

I will believe it when it actually gets done and shovel hits the ground. Like I mentioned they literally have done nothing with the park for years especially when you are talking new experiences.
While I agree that we should wait and see before celebrating, I think you're forgetting things like a third Soarin' theater (plus new digital projectors and Soarin' Around the World), a completely new ride in Norway, and completely new Test Track. That's a little more than "literally nothing".

Princess Leia

While I agree that we should wait and see before celebrating, I think you're forgetting things like a third Soarin' theater (plus new digital projectors and Soarin' Around the World), a completely new ride in Norway, and completely new Test Track. That's a little more than "literally nothing".
Unfortunately, none of these were totally new rides (unless you count the third Soarin theatre, which I am not). It's still a Soarin' film, Test Track was Tronified, and Maelstrom became Frozen. With the exception of the new theatre, the number of attractions stayed the same.

Otterhead

Unfortunately, none of these were totally new rides (unless you count the third Soarin theatre, which I am not). It's still a Soarin' film, Test Track was Tronified, and Maelstrom became Frozen. With the exception of the new theatre, the number of attractions stayed the same.
Correct, they did not add additional attractions to the park. As I understand it, the goal is to overhaul, replace, and improve. Frozen is a very different and hugely improved ride, Test Track was a pretty huge overhaul, and a new Soarin' film/theater isn't a small investment. Looking forward to what's in store with the budget they're getting.

doctornick

I must be hopeless, then, because I still find F&W food to be good, though pricey.

Obviously, Epcot is in a sorry state, but I don't think having lots of festivals at a permanent Worlds Fair is a bad thing. Dare to dream, one day they could have festivals AND world-class attractions.

Agreed. I don't think this needs to be made out as an "either/or" situation. They can have -- and even expand -- the festivals at the park while also improving on the permanent fixtures.

doctornick

You don't think they could overdue it, and people get tired of it. Festival fatigue? What was once something unique and limited, is now year round and common.

I think for a lot of people this just increases the opportunity to go to F&W.

This comes down to a locals/frequent visitors versus occasional (once a year or less often) guest thing. The latter person is far more numerous and common and probably appreciates the increased festival days at the park because it would increase the chances of them being able to attend. Probably thins out the F&W crowds a bit too by spreading out people to more dates.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

You mean of course 'Hugely Improve the Parks Revenue Production' by closing costly attractions and replacing them with pop up bars for the festivals which will now run 365 days per year.

enomi

Let's see.

2017 Festival of the Arts - 24 days
2017 Flower and Garden - 90 days
2017 Food and Wine - 75 days
2017 Holidays around the World - 34 days

223 days of special events.
61% of the year

It's now more of an "event" to be in the park on a non-event day.

Gotta click those turnstiles and ring those registers. Disney knows they've let Epcot rot for so long nobody would show up if they didn't have Special Events.

EPCOF: Experimental Prototype Community of Festivals

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom