2017 Dining Plan Changes: Is the QS now officially overpriced?

tirian

Original Poster
Is not hard to break even, but it is hard to feel like you got a great deal. Snacks are worth about $5 each, the QS meal (without dessert) is about $13-$16. So as long as the TS is around $30-35, and many of then are, you're "breaking even".

Now its overpriced? Its been overpriced for years!

It's been widely observed that over the last few years, Disney raised the food prices to make the DDP look like a value, then raised the DDP to the break-even point.

If this isn't a version of creative accounting, I don't know what qualifies for the dubious honor.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I felt something on my recent trip to WDW that I'd never felt before.

I'd been countless times before and never felt this particular emotion. I've done DDP, I've gone without DDP, I've done TIW, I've eaten signature, character, QS. I've done it all.

But in May 2016, I felt something new each time I dined at WDW.

Resentment.

WDW has a markup on everything - it's an elaborate tourist trap, and that's fine. But the markup has gone from reasonable to absurd and they don't even try to deliver value in any way shape or form.

So, I'm done. I won't renew my AP, I won't be back for at least a few years. This was the first trip where I felt like a number, and not a guest. I didn't enjoy the feeling.

Welcome to the Dark Side, That feeling hit about 2012 when we were FORCED to use MM+ (staying at BLT) for our stay we were the group that did not have the option of using both FP and FP+ I did not appreciate being part of Disney's unpaid QA team on my VACATION. That was when needing tech support on vacation became a thing. Let AP expire last year.

Disorbust

The problem is that it is not only over priced but the quality is terrible as well. In the past you could justify the prices that it was part of a quality Disney vacation. Now it feels like a giant ripoff. Ive been on the Disboards for 18 years and never read dining reviews complaining about portion sizes until the past year. It's not just a few reviews that you could say are outliers it has become a consistent complaint.

andysol

I'm AP and DVC and for us we still prefer the dining plan over TIW even though we don't do many character meals either. We do a lot of 2 credit meals well a good mixture of 1 and 2 credit meals. So yes it varies greatly what is best for each individual person or family. We like the all inclusive feel and frankly TIW when I did the math dosent save us enough overall or is not such a big difference than using the dining plan. One day TIW may be better for us but for now we prefer the dining plan. ;)

You do the regular dining plan. You don't do character meals. And you spend it on signature meals- and you're saying you save money? Hahaha. Stop trolling.

The dining plan almost never makes sense. Only:
-If you're doing all character- it barely does.
-If you're doing sub-par New York strips every night, and spend hours researching what to order where. And you HAVE to eat sub-par New York strip. And even then, you still usually lose $.
-You're a single parent with 4 kids in a room.
-You're on a split stay and get the deluxe plan for one or two nights and tear up those 3-6 TS Credits/pp
-If you're with a large group/family and don't want to split checks. You're paying more, but it's convenient.

I don't know if I pity or envy those who think Disney's food is great. It's pretty good. But their steaks can't hold a candle to 1000s of restaurants across the US. Maybe ignorance truly is bliss in those cases.

Disagree. Money paid as I go vs prepaid in advance certainly seems the same to me.
I agree. The "prepaid" propaganda is also ridiculous. You want "prepaid"? Buy a gift card before you go with what you'd spend on the dining plan, and you'll have money on it leftover for whatever you want. Guaranteed. Of course, you'd have to tip out of pocket like you would with dining plan- but even if you topped with card most people would still come or ahead because they could order what they wanted instead of the "best value".

Basically- this is a public service announcement. Don't listen to those who say it's a good value. They're pixie snorters.

Last edited:

cindy_k

Not because I am a DVC prisoner.
I'm planning on using my DVC points to book cruises and off site properties going forward for a while. At least you get fed on the cruise.
I don't know if I will renew my AP's after this year. I will have to see. It may be time to spend more time at Universal and Sea World.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As a DVC prisoner myself- I would recommend you rent your points before you use them on a cruise cindy. The exchange is terrible. Aulani, HHI, Vero are all great resorts. But instead of a non-DVC resort or cruise for your points- just rent them instead and pocket the cash and go stay on-site at Royal Pacific at Universal. You'll come out way ahead on $.
I know Davids and DVC rental store are options to rent easily. And Mouseowners if you want to rent private for a little more. I rented almost 300 of my points between this and next year- I'm not headed back to WDW until 2018 at the earliest (I am going to the free DVC DAK event in Sept though during my Universal trip over labor day).

What free DVC DAK event ?

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Are you all really arguing the merits of Disney being a value in any way, shape, or form? Disney stopped being a value years ago. It's probably been overpriced since the first time I went. Everything, EVERYTHING at WDW is way overpriced. This is the place that charges you to use the microwave in their nursing centers for crying out loud. Disney would charge for the air that you breathe on their property if they could.

I'm an AP and was thinking about going DVC (after reading DVC prisoner I'm rethinking that). I know what i am getting with Disney. I know that if I buy a dining plan I'm getting at best mediocre food. I know that I could leave the parks/resorts and eat better, more economically priced food. For me personally, it's about convenience. I'm on property, I don't really feel like leaving and going to 192 or I-Drive for food. I can deal with park food (with the exception of maybe MK) and know that I'm basically being taken to the cleaners but hey, I expect that. Plus my kids are still young so they enjoy the novelty of restaurants like Be Our Guest, Sci-Fi, San Angel Inn, etc.

At this point, switching a dessert for a snack isn't going to make re-think "value" when I am already being gouged the minute I set foot in the park.

JediMasterMatt

This thread will be a lot more interesting to see if the rumored participating TS restaurant reductions take effect along with the buffet changes. My #1 gripe about early in the year vacations (January/February) is that you are often making dining reservations for places that haven't even confirmed to be participating for the new year.

We've been DD since it's inception and have always come out way ahead on the TS plan as we book 180 days out for only the places we want to eat at and know what we are ordering.

*Granted "way ahead" is only based on the already overpriced/not worth it anyway prices they are charging. So, basically comparing what it would cost to do it all out of pocket.

DisneyFans4Life

The last two trips we've taken we did the DDP, but we made sure that we picked more expensive 1 credit dinners to ensure we were actually coming out ahead. It does take some thinking and planning...but there is a way to make the DDP better than paying out of pocket.

Plus, I enjoy the convenience of having most of my meals already paid for before I check in. Additionally...with the DDP now getting an extra snack...you can use one of those snack credits for a bagel in the morning and then basically all meals are paid for.

asianway

The last two trips we've taken we did the DDP, but we made sure that we picked more expensive 1 credit dinners to ensure we were actually coming out ahead. It does take some thinking and planning...but there is a way to make the DDP better than paying out of pocket.

Plus, I enjoy the convenience of having most of my meals already paid for before I check in. Additionally...with the DDP now getting an extra snack...you can use one of those snack credits for a bagel in the morning and then basically all meals are paid for.
Convenience does not mean getting ripped off.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The problem is that it is not only over priced but the quality is terrible as well. In the past you could justify the prices that it was part of a quality Disney vacation. Now it feels like a giant ripoff. Ive been on the Disboards for 18 years and never read dining reviews complaining about portion sizes until the past year. It's not just a few reviews that you could say are outliers it has become a consistent complaint.

Disboards apparently packed with fattys.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom