2016 Room Refurbishment

Ralphlaw

Sounds to me like corner-cutting is running rampant. The biggest reason for eliminating carpeting is probably to shorten the time it takes for the cleaning staff to tidy up. Now, fewer housekeepers are needed. I doubt that savings will be passed on to us. Personally, I much prefer carpeting for sound resistance, warm feet, etc. . .

As far as the bedding is concerned, yeah, I would agree that the new bedding seems much cheaper. I also think that the conformity of furnishings is strictly a cost-cutting measure that diminishes the joy of travel and ownership.

I must be honest in stating that this entire series of cheapeners is making me second-guess our decision to buy in five years ago. We did a lot of research back then, looking at various rooms, consulting the boards, etc . . . There are still plusses, but the following is either glossed over or a hidden minus that makes one question ownership:

1. Maintenance fees seem to be going up, and are virtually ignored when you first buy-in.
2. Upgrades and refurbs are making the resorts generic.
3. Upgrades seem long overdue in some villas and rooms.
4. Obvious cost-cutting like the above are cheapening the place.
5. Perks, like pool-hopping and promised wide-range discounts, are disappearing.

Yeah, caveat emptor is starting to set in. I used to be a cheerleader for DVC, but I'm quickly becoming a naysayer.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I don't like carp (or any other fish for that matter in the carpet ;)) I like going to the new flooring for that reason. I can't tell you how many times we've gone in and vacuumed once we've arrived, not to mention the stains that occur. I would think using a mop and mild cleaner on the new floors would eliminate half the stuff that sticks in there now.
Well, I did that because the site won't let you type the other word. It becomes asterisks. :)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Sounds to me like corner-cutting is running rampant. The biggest reason for eliminating carpeting is probably to shorten the time it takes for the cleaning staff to tidy up. Now, fewer housekeepers are needed. I doubt that savings will be passed on to us. Personally, I much prefer carpeting for sound resistance, warm feet, etc. . .

As far as the bedding is concerned, yeah, I would agree that the new bedding seems much cheaper. I also think that the conformity of furnishings is strictly a cost-cutting measure that diminishes the joy of travel and ownership.

I must be honest in stating that this entire series of cheapeners is making me second-guess our decision to buy in five years ago. We did a lot of research back then, looking at various rooms, consulting the boards, etc . . . There are still plusses, but the following is either glossed over or a hidden minus that makes one question ownership:

1. Maintenance fees seem to be going up, and are virtually ignored when you first buy-in.
2. Upgrades and refurbs are making the resorts generic.
3. Upgrades seem long overdue in some villas and rooms.
4. Obvious cost-cutting like the above are cheapening the place.
5. Perks, like pool-hopping and promised wide-range discounts, are disappearing.

Yeah, caveat emptor is starting to set in. I used to be a cheerleader for DVC, but I'm quickly becoming a naysayer.
I honestly have to disagree with almost everything here. I do not believe that cost cutting was the reason for the new flooring. I believe it was more hygienic related. It actually takes them more time to mop and clean the floor, than to run a vacuum over carpet. They are using a quality floor that should last for many more years than carpet would, which saves us money by not having to be replaced as often.

As to your other points:
1. The maintenance fees are always going to go up, mostly due to higher employee costs, and higher property tax assessments. If you didn't know that a timeshare comes with maintenance dues, then that is just as much on you as it is Disney. Sorry, but that's the fact. You don't spend tens of thousands of dollars on something without a LOT of research into just what the heck are you getting into.

2. Sorry, but I see nothing "generic" about it. The furniture/kitchens/bathrooms/etc. are different at every resort, so not sure how you can make that statement. Please don't listen to expolders rants. He's very disillusioned.

3. I do agree with this one. The original schedule of soft goods replacement every 14 years, and complete refurb every 24 years was way too long. At least they have realized this, and shortened the schedule by half.

4. Again, I disagree. I see no obvious cost-cutting that is cheapening the experience. We are there 2 or 3 times a year, and have made 17 DVC trips just in the last 6 years, and over 30 since we bought in so many years ago. I see nothing of the kind.

5. Really? Pool hopping?? Why in heavens name would anyone ever want to either get in a car, or on a bus, to go to a different resort to get in the pool? And then, when soaking wet, get back in a car or bus to go back?!?!?!?!? If you are talking about Stormalong Bay, you have NEVER been allowed to pool hop there, so not something that you can miss doing.

5. Discounts? They are the same as they've always been. 10% on merch, and 10 or 20% at certain restaurants for certain meals. AP discounts have been around for quite some time, and are the same as they have been for several years - except for that one time great deal on the $399 PAP that we got a few years ago. That was a great deal, and we certainly wish that would come back. The thing is, we NEVER bought into DVC thinking that we would or should get discounts on anything at all. Our guide pitched it as only getting discounts on our resort hotel for many years. Any other perks we get are icing on the cake. If you bought in for discounts, then you made a big mistake as ALL of them can go away tomorrow.

It really looks like you may have bought in for the wrong reasons, and maybe you should just sell your points now, and get out while you can. If you really feel the way you are typing here, then DVC no longer seems like the right fit for you.

Nastory4

NOT a fan of the AKL look in that picture! We actually prefer the darker, more intimate, feel of the current AKL look.
I agree. Darker colors appeal to me more then lighter ones. Looking at the photo's, the rooms did look nice, with the exception of AKL

Ralphlaw

I honestly have to disagree with almost everything here. I do not believe that cost cutting was the reason for the new flooring. I believe it was more hygienic related. It actually takes them more time to mop and clean the floor, than to run a vacuum over carpet. They are using a quality floor that should last for many more years than carpet would, which saves us money by not having to be replaced as often.

As to your other points:
1. The maintenance fees are always going to go up, mostly due to higher employee costs, and higher property tax assessments. If you didn't know that a timeshare comes with maintenance dues, then that is just as much on you as it is Disney. Sorry, but that's the fact. You don't spend tens of thousands of dollars on something without a LOT of research into just what the heck are you getting into.

2. Sorry, but I see nothing "generic" about it. The furniture/kitchens/bathrooms/etc. are different at every resort, so not sure how you can make that statement. Please don't listen to expolders rants. He's very disillusioned.

3. I do agree with this one. The original schedule of soft goods replacement every 14 years, and complete refurb every 24 years was way too long. At least they have realized this, and shortened the schedule by half.

4. Again, I disagree. I see no obvious cost-cutting that is cheapening the experience. We are there 2 or 3 times a year, and have made 17 DVC trips just in the last 6 years, and over 30 since we bought in so many years ago. I see nothing of the kind.

5. Really? Pool hopping?? Why in heavens name would anyone ever want to either get in a car, or on a bus, to go to a different resort to get in the pool? And then, when soaking wet, get back in a car or bus to go back?!?!?!?!? If you are talking about Stormalong Bay, you have NEVER been allowed to pool hop there, so not something that you can miss doing.

5. Discounts? They are the same as they've always been. 10% on merch, and 10 or 20% at certain restaurants for certain meals. AP discounts have been around for quite some time, and are the same as they have been for several years - except for that one time great deal on the $399 PAP that we got a few years ago. That was a great deal, and we certainly wish that would come back. The thing is, we NEVER bought into DVC thinking that we would or should get discounts on anything at all. Our guide pitched it as only getting discounts on our resort hotel for many years. Any other perks we get are icing on the cake. If you bought in for discounts, then you made a big mistake as ALL of them can go away tomorrow.

It really looks like you may have bought in for the wrong reasons, and maybe you should just sell your points now, and get out while you can. If you really feel the way you are typing here, then DVC no longer seems like the right fit for you.

Thanks for the very thought provoking response. Indeed, I was aware of the maintenance fees, and I pretty much ignore them for most of the year. Unfortunately, my $1,800 bill just arrived, so it's on my mind right now.

I guess I'm just a little down at the thought of hard floors and cheaper bedding, which are not a plus in my opinion. I was also hoping somehow to sneak across the lagoon and try Stormalong Bay. It used to be relatively easy to sneak in as a non-Beach Club/Yacht Club guest, but that is now impossible. We were at Boardwalk for 10 days over Christmas with record-breaking heat in the upper 80s. We were getting bored with the pools at Boardwalk, and a long-time DVC owner in the jacuzzi said that they used to get into Stormalong Bay.

Anyhow, you make good points that I'll have to think about.

Last edited:

GoofyCathy

Thanks for the very thought provoking response. Indeed, I was aware of the maintenance fees, and I pretty much ignore for most of the year. Unfortunately, my $1,800 bill just arrived, so it's on my mind right now.

I guess I'm just a little down at the thought of hard floors and cheaper bedding, which are not a plus in my opinion. I was also hoping somehow to sneak across the lagoon and try Stormalong Bay. It used to be relatively easy to sneak in as a non-Beach Club/Yacht Club guest, but that is now impossible. We were at Boardwalk for 10 days over Christmas with record-breaking heat in the upper 80s. We were getting bored with the pools at Boardwalk, and a long-time DVC owner in the jacuzzi said that they used to get into Stormalong Bay.

You made some good points too, Ralph. And those hardwood floors make me a little down too. We love DVC and always hope to be able to recommend it to others.

jerodisney

So you guys are saying that hardwood floor are cheap looking... I'm guessing you guys haven't stayed at the Grand Floridian... IF they are similar to those floors, you are going to be in for a big surprise. Hands down I prefer those hardwood floors than any carpet flooring. Easier to clean, more hygienic, and in my opinion looks way higher end and nicer. They would had put them in the GF if they didn't look nice just saying...

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Thanks for the very thought provoking response. Indeed, I was aware of the maintenance fees, and I pretty much ignore them for most of the year. Unfortunately, my $1,800 bill just arrived, so it's on my mind right now.

We have Disney pull our dues out on a monthly basis, so the hit isn't immediate. Ours run almost $2000, so monthly works better for us.

If a "longtime" DVC member said they used to get into Stormalong Bay, it was only by sneaking in. AFAIK it has never been open to anyone besides those staying at YC or BC. Yes, it was easier to sneak in prior to MBs and gates and all, though even when we stayed at BWV, we never thought to go there. I can't say I blame Disney for that one, because if I am paying to stay at one of those resorts, and can never get a chair or the pool is crazy crowded, I would be complaining as well. That really is the motivation for putting fences and gates that require MB access to the resort pools. Too many locals filling them up, so Disney had to take this action.

I still disagree with the bedding though. They have changed over to the industry standard type, but I never felt that the quality was any less than before. We always threw the bed cover on the floor anyway, as it was way too hot for us.

We had the hardwood floors at our recent stay at VGF, and they are very nice. Hopefully it will be same type used throughout the resorts, just with the different colors. The bedroom still had carpet in it, so it was only the common area. We preferred that over the carpet, and think that not only will it hold up better, but it is much easier to clean up spills and messes. Carpets held onto those stains, and ended up looking nasty after a few years of use. I realize that it isn't as "soft", but you can always throw a few couch cushions onto the floor to sit on. Oh, and we always walk around in bare feet, and it was never cold to the touch.

Ralphlaw

Are the new floors hardwood or just hard? Most people think hardwood floors look nicer, and I don't necessarily disagree. I have them all over my office building. The new composites also look amazingly similar to real wood. If that's what it says, it's hard to argue that it's a hands down lesser product. Nevertheless, I'm glad to hear they're keeping carpet in the bedrooms.

Thanks, everyone, for the clarifications and thought provoking responses.

jerodisney

Are the new floors hardwood or just hard? Most people think hardwood floors look nicer, and I don't necessarily disagree. I have them all over my office building. The new composites also look amazingly similar to real wood. If that's what it says, it's hard to argue that it's a hands down lesser product. Nevertheless, I'm glad to hear they're keeping carpet in the bedrooms.

Thanks, everyone, for the clarifications and thought provoking responses.

Reading your post I realize I Mis-spoke... I'm pretty sure they are composite. One of the members of my family does construction work for a living, and we spent a few minutes arguing over if the floors at the GF are composite or hardwood, based on the hardness and how there were no marks AT ALL on the floor and the fact that they had the same floors on the balcony, we are pretty sure its composite. Which goes back to the point of... if those are the ones installing, absolutely hands down not cheaper material.... return on investment is trough the rough though, cause they wont have to change them every 7 years. If ever...

Ralphlaw

Yeah, the composites are amazingly real looking and durable. Not cheap, though. Hopefully they'll work out to be a good investment. Still, I like carpet on the road.

Phonedave

Sounds to me like corner-cutting is running rampant. The biggest reason for eliminating carpeting is probably to shorten the time it takes for the cleaning staff to tidy up. Now, fewer housekeepers are needed. I doubt that savings will be passed on to us.

Just to be clear, any and all cost savings ARE passed on to us. That is Florida Time Share Law. The DVC books are audited by an independent auditor, and then the dues cover only the actual costs of running the resort (there is a also a long term capital improvements portion). There is no profit built into the dues at all.

All of decisions made during a refurb - cheap bedding, flooring material, furniture, wall surfaces, etc are a trade off between making owers happy with the room and making owners happy with the dues amounts. We can go back and forth about if we like carpet of hard surfaces better (hard sufaces for me - hotel carpet is downright nasty, and I am far from a germaphobe).of if the bedding is better or worse, or if we like color schemes or not. However, any cost savings are passed on to us.

Of course, if DVC managerment did something stupid, like pay $500 a set for sheets made out of tissue paper, well then we could complain about poor management, but nobody is making any money off of that (except for whoever sold them those sheets).

-dave

Webb

In regards to Boardwalk. We are 3 days out and very excited! Not sure if we will be in a refurbished room or not but I will let you all know. My concern is mainly the noise factor with no carpet. I'm a light sleeper so I'll just wear my earplugs :) I like the idea of not walking on carpet that could be holding on to germs and who knows what!

magicmonette

What does everyone think of the new lighter color scheme that DVC is using for the resorts getting refurbished in 2016?

In particular, do you think the light colors at Animal Kingdom Villas lessens the theming?

http://dvcinfo.com/dvc-information/dvc-resorts/resort-refurbishment/
If you like staying at a HAMPTON INN you will LOVE the new color scheme! It looks like every hotel I stay in for business. Oh, and they are around $150 per night.
Whoever did the "research", and found this is what members were asking for, should be reassigned to another department! From MY research I have found that most people wanted higher wattage lightbulbs in the bathrooms!!

WDW74

We were "home" at BCV first week in December. The refurb of the resort section rooms and hallways was complete and it appeared that work was just beginning on BCV hallways and rooms. Anyone have an update on the progress ? Thx !

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If you like staying at a HAMPTON INN you will LOVE the new color scheme! It looks like every hotel I stay in for business. Oh, and they are around $150 per night.
Whoever did the "research", and found this is what members were asking for, should be reassigned to another department! From MY research I have found that most people wanted higher wattage lightbulbs in the bathrooms!!
So you've stayed in the new rooms then? What did you think after you stayed there and saw it in person?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom