2016 Room Refurbishment

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
What does everyone think of the new lighter color scheme that DVC is using for the resorts getting refurbished in 2016?

In particular, do you think the light colors at Animal Kingdom Villas lessens the theming?

http://dvcinfo.com/dvc-information/dvc-resorts/resort-refurbishment/
We actually loved the darker scheme when we stayed there, but will have to see the new colors in person before making a judgement on that. Really hard to tell from a picture what it will really look like. I guess they received too many complaints about it being too dark.

Ralphlaw

We just returned from 10 days at the Boardwalk, and the refurb there continues. We were in an old room, and some good maintenance work is definitely needed. But the redesign of the Boardwalk Villas has been compared to a Comfort Inn by people we talked to. It looks modern and out of sync with the historic nature of the resort.

Other Complaints included the removal of carpet from the rooms and replacing it with vinyl or faux hardwood. Not only will it be noisier, but dropped glasses will break easier, and little ones learning to walk will fall down harder. A long-time owner also complained that the bedding used to be a lot nicer than the thin white sheet and blanket combination that we're stuck with now. He also complained how one perk of buying years ago was the ability to go swimming at Beach Club. Gone. It would seem that pool-hopping to Beach Club for Boardwalk guests shouldn't put too much pressure on the numbers, but who knows.

Overall, long-term owners seemed to point out legitimately how things are not as good. I guess I would tend to agree.

SpaceMountain77

What does everyone think of the new lighter color scheme that DVC is using for the resorts getting refurbished in 2016?

In particular, do you think the light colors at Animal Kingdom Villas lessens the theming?

DVC Mike, I did not know that you could be found outside of the DVC Disboards!

As you may know from another board, I am disappointed with the AKV artist rendering because it neither adheres to the theming of the resort nor extends the storytelling. The current clay colored walls and mosquito netting behind the headboard extend the theme. Antique White, Ivory Luster, Eggshell or whatever off-white color you want to call it does not evoke the essence of the savanna.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This is a picture from 2009. It really isn't that much different than the new color. It isn't near as "dark" as people thought, and I don't believe that the furniture is being replaced this time around. People are complaining about something that they haven't even seen yet.
AKL-2009.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I think it looks like crap, I'm a charter member at Kidani so I bought into the theme, If you look carefully what DVC is doing is trying to get a single furniture style / color scheme across all the resorts unfortunately the results look like at best a Hilton Garden Inn.

Look at what they did to the GF it did not even take a month before the paint started peeling from the cabinets and the poor quality laminate flooring started to show signs of wear.

Yes AKL needs a refresh but it needs one which maintains the theme not one which converts it into a Hilton Garden Inn. One would think that the furniture could be refinished or horrors new copies commissioned from the original vendors. But that would not be consistent with the 'Cheap-n-Nasty' we see so much of since 2010 or so.

The new bedding at DVC resorts is inferior to that which you would find at a Hampton Inn. As someone who travels 120+ days year I know the difference.

glvsav37

is there a schedule for these referbs? will be staying at AKL and BLT in august and wondering if these will be done by then?

Goofnut1980

Owning at AKV and Poly - I think the Poly hit the color scheme perfect. Its dark but yet bright. We liked the AKV paint and the colors but the lighting in the room was awful with the really dark paint. The trip in October, the furniture had a lot of dings in it. Basically you could see under its top-coat and it was white! I think they still have a lot to learn for DVC and what comforts people want.

Am I glad to see paint going up every 7-14 years, hell yes because 24 years is a bit much. Shoot, I paint rooms in my house every few years to new color pallets.

We didn't like BLT and GFV because we thought it was way too washed out and super bright. I just hope that scan on the link for AKV keeps a tan on the walls just lighter to help with lighting in the room. Also, the bathrooms could use lighter wall colors. Oh and can we put a stand, picture or something in the loo, it looks so weird in there. lol

GoofyCathy

Well, I don't like that they're taking away the carpeting in the living areas. Having a small rug in that room is not a good choice. Kids will not want to sit on the floor etc. Dumb idea.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Well, I don't like that they're taking away the carpeting in the living areas. Having a small rug in that room is not a good choice. Kids will not want to sit on the floor etc. Dumb idea.
I think they are more thinking about guest cleanliness on the floor. Carpets hold onto a LOT of carp, even when thoroughly vacuumed, and the new floors are much more hygienic. Just a thought.

DisDadWoz

I think they are more thinking about guest cleanliness on the floor. Carpets hold onto a LOT of carp, even when thoroughly vacuumed, and the new floors are much more hygienic. Just a thought.
I don't like carp (or any other fish for that matter in the carpet ;)) I like going to the new flooring for that reason. I can't tell you how many times we've gone in and vacuumed once we've arrived, not to mention the stains that occur. I would think using a mop and mild cleaner on the new floors would eliminate half the stuff that sticks in there now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom