2016 NYC to Canada

Lunamis

Original Poster
Hi all!

My husband and I will be traveling on the October 2nd NYC to Canada cruise on the Magic.

We are stoked as we have been on the Dream 2x and look forward to trying a different ship/area (not the Bahamas).

For folks who have done this cruise in 2012, have done other other Canadian cruises or are researching like crazy (like me!)- what have you done/are planning to do in St. John and Halifax?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Hi, @Lunamis! Oct 2 will be my first time on the Disney Magic (about to take my 4th cruise on the Dream), and am also looking forward to checking out the Magic, not only because it's the original, but its birthday is my birthday!

I haven't even begun to think about shore excursions...:oops:

I should probably get on that. :bookworm:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Hi Lunamis. Here's a link to my trip report from my Canadian cruise in '12. It talks about our shore excursions and shows, etc.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/magic-al-cruise-to-canada-8-5-12.843771/

Hope it's interesting.

I remember reading that back when you wrote it! I'm glad you posted it here, because I remembered how much rain you had, and had forgotten what time of year you cruised to Canada. Since this year's sailing is in October instead of August, I'm hoping for better weather. And for some leaf-peeping as we sail north! Does the ship sail close enough to shore to be visible, or is it too far out to sea?

Lunamis

Original Poster
Thanks for the link @Tiggerish !

I'm thinking about the non-excursion route..pick a couple of key restaurants/sites and leave the rest to wandering/chance.

Really great reading your report!

Nastory4

Hi all!

My husband and I will be traveling on the October 2nd NYC to Canada cruise on the Magic.

We are stoked as we have been on the Dream 2x and look forward to trying a different ship/area (not the Bahamas).

For folks who have done this cruise in 2012, have done other other Canadian cruises or are researching like crazy (like me!)- what have you done/are planning to do in St. John and Halifax?
We will see you on board!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
It's almost time to say "our cruise is next month!" ;)

I did book some shore excursions, after all. In St. John, we'll be doing the trolley tour at 8:15 am, and then the History in Stone Walking Tour at 1:15pm.

In Halifax, we've got Peggy's Cove & Titanic bus tour booked for 1:15 and will be hoping to add on the Halifax City bus tour at 9:45. We can't book it online because there's only 45 minutes in between the 2 tours. I don't know what DCL's minimum window is, but it must be longer than 45 minutes. On the advice of our TA, we are going to try the Port Adventures desk when we board to see if they will waive it.

Lunamis

Original Poster
Well the excitement bug bit the second we got our cruise booklet in- it's HAPPENING!

Anyone been to Quidi Vidi in St. John? It looks like a breathtaking little part of the city with a few shops/restaurants and best part- a brewery!

I'm thinking poutine lunch in the city and that in the afternoon.

Halifax's Maritime Museum looks interesting for sure.

33 days until having some champagne on the verandah and looking across the open ocean...not that I haven't been obsessing over details for days or anything.

Nastory4

My wife booked us for :
St. Martins and The Bay of Fundy (SN17) Oct 4
Coastal Peggy's Cove (HA06) Oct 5

Could not get Palo though.

Nastory4

Keep trying for Palo! The first few times I tried there was nothing, but I kept at it. Make sure you tell it to check all days.
Screwy system. When going to Adult Dining, it showed options for both Brunch and Dinner. Tried both all days, and yet nothing was available.

Did you get a reservation?

Lunamis

Original Poster
I got Palo for 8:30 on the Halifax day...missed out on brunch though.

Screwy system. When going to Adult Dining, it showed options for both Brunch and Dinner. Tried both all days, and yet nothing was available.

I might try calling, I find their online system a bit slow and wonky.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

I did! 8:30pm on Day 1. We made all our reservations just this past Sunday. Keep checking, and as @Lunamis suggested calling is a good idea too, and if all else fails, go right to Guest Services when you board and see if you can get a spot.

Brunch seems to be booked solid, there's a little "sold out" sign next to it and it can't be selected.

bunnyman

Have been to both stops several times on other ships (the Disney NYC cruise we did in 2012 went to the Bahamas). In either port, we did not do organized excursions, but rather ventured out on our own. In Halifax, we stuck around the waterfront and visited the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (not sure if they still do, but in the past there was a pretty neat Titanic exhibit), shopped, and had some local refreshments. In the same area is the Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 (their version of Ellis Island), and the Halifax Citadel (fort). All are within "relatively" close by walking distance. I know others who have done things like lobster eating excursions and liked them, but we generally like to do things in easy ports such as this on our own. At St. John's we did the Museum of New Brunswick, and right across from the ship we ate in what I think was Steamer's Lobster Co. (had some great lobsters, muscles, etc.). Not sure if it is still there, but they had a large tent set up on the pier with local crafts and merchants set-up with booths. One of the more popular excursions there is the reversing rapids.

Nastory4

Normally, you need to call DCL directly to get this info. Although you might be able to look through old threads here to see if somebody has posted about your ship recently.
I did call today and the CM was very helpful. There are a bunch of great movies they are showing. Hope I get to see some

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom