2016 Marathon weekend- reosrt trouble * updated*

imagination30

Original Poster
Okay guys ... I need some input here... we are looking at resorts for 2016 Marathon weekend ,
and we have narrowed it down to two .. but I need pros and cons and transporetation to epcot for the race.
here is the two resorts we have picked to choose from..
Beach club
or
Yacht club?

any info would be helpful!
on your make get set GO!!!:)

Last edited:

JasonDeyoung

All resorts are host resorts for marathon weekend so you'll have transportation to the race & expo where ever you pick. That being said I've stayed at YC but not BC so not really much help there, YC is pretty cool you'd love it

dreamfinder

Not much difference for either one. Both are on (I think) the same bus loop for the Expo and smaller races, and may even share a bus for the biggies as they are essentially the same resort.

imagination30

Original Poster
thanks so much guys .. for people that have stayed here during marathon weekend , how was your experience , bus times ,, wait times ... and etc.. ( shannon - lol)

Texas84

I read here that you can walk through Epcot to get to the start. But don't take my word for it. I'm sure someone here will chime in on that.

imagination30

Original Poster
well guys we have decided another route.... and i blame being spoiled by the monrail on my first run disney marathon weekend , in 2014. so we are looking at the contempory , or the poly. , and along with that we are planning to see La nuba in down town disney if its not dark that week!... ( maybe go sat. night)

Kristia

@Texas84 We stayed at BCV for Marathon weekend in 2013. You can't walk to the start because the International Gateway/EPCOT is closed. You have to take a bus. Edited to Add - Yacht Club may have a slight advantage for busing as they were picked up before BC. There were several almost full buses that came for us during the Half pick up until they sent an empty bus straight to BC. During the full, I seem to remember an empty bus coming right away.

216bruce

thanks so much guys .. for people that have stayed here during marathon weekend , how was your experience , bus times ,, wait times ... and etc.. ( shannon - lol)
Things at WL were fine time and crowd-wise for Marathon transport for runners except for a really weird stop/pause at the Contemp. The driver pulled around the back of it, by a delivery area, hung out for a minute then turned and went to the race drop-off.
My wife, trying to get to a spot or two on half marathon day had a 'bus adventure'. She was the only one on the bus at pickup trying to get to the finish line. The driver told her that the buses weren't running any more since it was after 5. Wife tells her it's not quite 5 yet and the driver begrudgingly takes her to the drop off. Once they get there the driver tells her that the road is closed. My wife asks "So are you going to just leave me here or am I just staying on the bus?" The driver admits that she was hoping to 'get a break' and then takes her in. It wasn't a Mears transport bus according to the missus. I got the impression that there were a decent amount of drivers who were more than a little confused and/or not really "into" this. I also had a driver tell me on marathon day, after I asked if I could use the bathroom on the bus at drop-off, that even though it was open that I couldn't because he had to go and pick up another load of folks. I told him as nicely as I could that I could assure him that it would be ...umm...very quick. Still "no". I did get a nice sprint in to the first porta john at drop-off!

JasonDeyoung

well guys we have decided another route.... and i blame being spoiled by the monrail on my first run disney marathon weekend , in 2014. so we are looking at the contempory , or the poly. , and along with that we are planning to see La nuba in down town disney if its not dark that week!... ( maybe go sat. night)
Both are nice for marathon weekend, monorails start at 3am so you can avoid the bus which I've honestly not had one issue with yet but either one would be a great choice. Poly you can walk to ttc and hop in the epcot monorail if u don't want to ride all the way around the loop

dreamfinder

I got the impression that there were a decent amount of drivers who were more than a little confused and/or not really "into" this.

Even though Mears handles most of the logistics for the buses, I believe a large number of the drivers get brought in from other companies all over the state. Most of the buses I have seen/been on were O/O by 3rd parties, not Mears. Seeing as how they seem to pull in 100 or so buses, I can't see even Mears having that many buses they can tie up for a single event. Getting drivers and buses from elsewhere that aren't used to driving around WDW, never mind on random roads in the dark at 3am, I can easily see how they aren't real thrilled about it. Especially knowing that their bus is going to stink to high heaven after the race and they load on all the sweaty runners.

216bruce

Even though Mears handles most of the logistics for the buses, I believe a large number of the drivers get brought in from other companies all over the state. Most of the buses I have seen/been on were O/O by 3rd parties, not Mears. Seeing as how they seem to pull in 100 or so buses, I can't see even Mears having that many buses they can tie up for a single event. Getting drivers and buses from elsewhere that aren't used to driving around WDW, never mind on random roads in the dark at 3am, I can easily see how they aren't real thrilled about it. Especially knowing that their bus is going to stink to high heaven after the race and they load on all the sweaty runners.
Agreed, but it's their job. Might as well try and make the most of it and do it the best you can. Unfamiliarity- I get. Slacking- Nope, don't get that. Stinking busses? Ever ridden the monorail on a hot day? Been in a Splash Mountain log after a guy with B.O. AND someone with waaaay too much cheap 'man cologne' has been on it? I'll take 'sweaty runner' any day.:)

WDWArchitectureGuy

We've had decent but mixed experience with the buses. This year we stayed at PopC and Expo buses were great.
Race morning for the 5K and 10K were great and quick. Morning of the 1/2 we managed to get on the 3rd bus that came through. And for the Full, there were 2 buses loading up at the same time.

After the races the LINES for the PopC bus were longer than any other resort. Even the All Star buses. After the 1/2 we got on the 4th bus that came through. After the Full we got on the 3rd bus. After the 5K & 10K we took the monorail to the parks.

We tend to stay at values during race weekends to offset the entry fees for the races, but given the monorail access at the Poly/Cont/GF it would be worth the extra to avoid the buses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom