2016 Lawsuits against Disney

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So much like our Permitting Thread, I'm going to take a look at the cases filed against Disney in Orange County District Court. (Osceola isn't online and they would transfer it to Orange anyways)

Jan 2016

2016-CA-000327-O NUNEZ, JUAN vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS U S INC

Filed 1/14/16. Premise Liability. Plaintiff's son fell off an inner tube on a waterslide at Typhoon Lagoon. Another guest went down the slide and struck defendant's son.
Wants unspecified damages.

2016-CA-000409-O ROSALES, OMAR et al. vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC

Filed 1/16/16. Plaintiffs were on the Peoplemover in October 2014 when the ride malfunctioned, causing the plaintiff's ride vehicle to strike a vehicle in front of them as well as their behicle was struck from behind.
Wants damages in excess of $15,000.

2016-CA-000639-O TERRY, ALISON vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC

Filed 1/25/16. Premise Liability. Plaintiff slipped and fell at the toppings bar of Pecos Bill's.
Wants $15,000.

2016-CA-000651-O AMBUHL, KENNETH et al.vs.BAY LAKE TOWER AT DISNEYS CONTEMPORARY RESORT CONDOMINIUM ASSOCIATION INC et al.

Filed 1/25. Premise Liability. Plaintiff was attempting to go through the gate in a wheelchair to enter BLT's pool area when the gate abruptly slammed shut, injuring plaintiff's toes.
Wants unspecified damages.

2016-CA-000815-O MOBLEY, HELENA vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US

Filed 1/29. Employment Discrimination. Plaintiff, an admin for a Disney Security Executive, applied for a Executive Assistant and was told by her boss she was a shoe in. Didn't get it. Complained, alleged discrimination because she is married to an African-American. Was told there wasn't a place for her in security division anymore after complaining. Plaintiff alleges retaliation for the complaint. Plaintiff is now working as an admin assistant in custodial.

Criminal Cases

2016-TR-000975-A-W STATE OF FLORIDA vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS U S INC

1/7/16. Civil traffic infraction. Someone in a company vehicle ran a red light at Palm Pkwy/535 and caught by a red light camera.

Unless a CM knowingly let that guest go down the slide, the injury resulted from the other individual.... But then that's the definition of an accident.

I see the explosion of personal injury litigation due to (1) state supreme courts allowing attorneys to advertise on TV and (2) an overabundance of law school graduates in need of income to pay off their $100k law school loans.

gonzoWDW

We're gonna need a bigger board...

jaws-bigger-boat-close-up.jpg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If you would walk on the grass and planting beds that wouldn't happen..

Forcing me to walk through *gasp* Florida nature.

"Your honor, because of Disney's negligent design forcing guests to walk miles of concrete, which resulted in recurrent blisters to my pinkie toe, the only remedy Disney provided was to walk through nature. Said action and contributory negligence on the part of Disney resulted in my being attacked by the Florida state animal - the cockroach. Such attack resulted in injury, anxiety, pain and suffering, and permanent disability as I now have a morbid fear of cockroaches and nightmares in which I dream I'm a giant cockroach (my apologies to Kafka). In addition to lost wages due to my inability to work as I can no longer go outside anymore due to Katsaridaphobia, I've incurred enormous medical bills as a result of the daily physical and mental therapy I must endure in order to lead some semblance of a normal life, along with prohibitive costs for prescriptive medication I take so I can function. Which is why I am suing in excess of $4B. Disney has made at least that from their new Star Wars film."

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
It there something special about the $15,000 number?

Found this, answers some of our questions:

Florida law gives you four years from the date of your personal injury to file a claim against the party at fault. (This is known as the statute of limitations.) If you and your Florida personal injury lawyer are unable to negotiate a settlement with the property's owner or tenant (or with their insurance company), you should consider filing a lawsuit before the statute of limitations runs out.

If your injury claim is for $15,000 or less, you would file your personal injury lawsuit in the Florida County Court that has jurisdiction. For injury claims worth more than $15,000, you would file your lawsuit in the appropriate Florida Circuit Court.

ABQ

I love the tripped on a bolt in the parking lot one. How dare WDW let a bolt run astray in who knows how many acres of parking lots?

DVC91

Legit crashed on People Mover around Christmas time, saw it coming and was like "huh. That wasn't so bad" saw the complaint and burst out laughing. Just told my gf and she's incredulous

Jon81uk

We need to go back a few years a find all of the cheese sauce lawsuits that led to it's removal. Screw those people.

I know there was that case of a child getting burnt/scalded with cheese sauce, but that was years ago. I think the reason the cheese sauce went last year is more to do with trans fats and health concerns.

Goofyernmost

"I slipped on a wayward pickle, your Honor." :D
Well, you see, your Honor, I don't feel that it is MY obligation to look where I'm walking. Actually at the time I was looking around to see if any signs had been posted warning of any dangers at the condiment bar. None were there, your Honor, it's like Disney just doesn't care if someone gets hurt or not.

Goofyernmost

Years ago, in front of the castle, a kid was pushing an older lady in a wheelchair. He wasn't looking where he was heading and pushed the wheelchair over the curb. The front wheels hit the pavement and the chair stopped dead in it's tracks, unfortunately the lady didn't and did a massive face plant on the pavement. I didn't get to see how it came out because there was an immediate large crowd around her and I figured that they didn't need one more useless gawker. I've always been curious how that came out though. Now that was a spectacular fall.

danv3

If your injury claim is for $15,000 or less, you would file your personal injury lawsuit in the Florida County Court that has jurisdiction. For injury claims worth more than $15,000, you would file your lawsuit in the appropriate Florida Circuit Court.

I'm not a Florida lawyer, but it works very similarly to this in NC state courts. No one should read anything into the $15,000 figure. From a pleading perspective, the lawyer is going to write the same thing whether they think the case is worth $1 million or $5,000.

danv3

Are you also watching the US District Court for the Middle District of Florida? Many employment law cases will be filed in federal court from the outset. Personal injury is more likely to be in state court, but large enough cases with out-of-state plaintiffs could also be in federal court.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I know there was that case of a child getting burnt/scalded with cheese sauce, but that was years ago. I think the reason the cheese sauce went last year is more to do with trans fats and health concerns.

More of a cost cutting measure because people were making nachos at the condiment bar

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom