1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Lawsuits against Disney

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by PhotoDave219, Jan 29, 2016.

1. networkpro

networkpro Well-Known Member

Selling and relocation of amusement park attractions is fairly common especially with roller coasters (mostly steel, but some woodies). There are lots of line items that don't add to the value of an attraction but are necessary like site prep turning a marsh into a solid pad that can support the attraction.

21stamps likes this.
  2. PhotoDave219

PhotoDave219 Well-Known Member Original Poster

I am not sure of the statue of limitations.

Yeah, some go back that far which is why i started putting the incident date in there.

trr1 and TeriofTerror like this.
  3. LAKid53

LAKid53 Well-Known Member

You do realize my response was sarcasm.......

PhotoDave219 likes this.
  4. Disone

Disone Well-Known Member

Common perhaps in the industry but not common for Disney. In fact can you think of a single example when Disney has moved and attraction it is purchased from somewhere else or vice versa? You could argue It's a Small World, Carousel of Progress, and a few others but those are all Disney to Disney.

5. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

Curious... how far do you think it should have gone? You lived, you weren't injured even though there might have been a possibility of that happening, there was nothing else to do at that point except to look at it and see if it was working at the time.

6. PhotoDave219

Cinderella's Golden Carousel. Oldest attraction in the park. Built by the Philadelphia Tobbagan Company, if I recall.

7. Disone

Disone Well-Known Member

Good call. Though it is now Prince Charming's Regal Carousel. Which was in 1971 so the point still is Disney does not typically buy or sell used attractions. The land that your house sits on his not valued as if your house was gone and nothing was around it. The development counts. 414 million dollars for the Magic Kingdom, Come On Let's pool our money and buy it.

PhotoDave219 likes this.
  8. Phantom Mickey

Phantom Mickey Active Member

At the time, I just wanted someone to know that this event happened. If it were a manufacturer defect, it would not have been the only clasp that can let go. If you are asking if I wanted something for the event, sorry, I don't do that. I am more of an informative person.

lover_doll and 21stamps like this.
  9. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

Those are two separate things.

10. homerdance

homerdance Active Member

It doesn't appear that this is the first time that Disney has sued over it's tax bill, in 1989 it sued because it wasn't allowed to use the Ag Tax break:
    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...icultural-classification-osceola-disney-world
    Same lawsuit from 1972:
    http://www.leagle.com/decision/1975375316So2d59_1358/LANIER v. WALT DISNEY WORLD CO.

In 2012 it wasn't a lawsuit, but they agreed to lower the taxes:
    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...331_1_theme-parks-land-value-disney-officials
    https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=pwYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7065,3417638&hl=en

Four Seasons also is suing:
    https://revenuelaw.state.fl.us/LawL.... vs. Rick Singh, as the Property Apprais.pdf

Looks like they were able to have their tax bill reduced, but not as much as they desired.

And, Universal also joined in the fun:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-cfb-tourism-column-06222015-20150619-story.html
    Over a parking garage.

and so did DL
    http://articles.latimes.com/2003/nov/26/local/me-disney26

V_L_Raptor likes this.
  11. The Mom

The Mom Moderator Premium Member

Depends. With medical issues, the clock doesn't start until discovery. The plaintiff might have been having orthopedic issues, an MRI was done, and he/she was asked, "Your pain is due to X being torn/broken. Did you ever have a bad fall?" .

In the 1980s, there were lawsuits over DES (a drug to prevent miscarriage) given 30 years earlier. The babies, now adults, were getting certain cancers at an unusually high rate.

12. Courtney6682

Courtney6682 Well-Known Member

and the sock makers too...too thin obviously lol

epcotlover888 likes this.
  13. Courtney6682

I twisted my ankle stepping off a curb in 2011 in Frontier Land...had to be on crutches and in a wheelchair for the rest of the trip...I would NEVER DREAM of suing for something like that! I hate people....:mad:

epcotlover888 likes this.
  14. MySmallWorldof4

MySmallWorldof4 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to put this out there. The family of the little boy who was killed by the alligator has put out a statement that they will not sue Disney over the death of their son.

15. flynnibus

flynnibus Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean they haven't already received a settlement... just that they don't need to have a lawsuit to get the outcome they are satisfied with.

16. PhotoDave219

There's a dedicated discussion on this in another thread. Alas thanks, I've been waiting to hear about that.

17. rob0519

rob0519 Well-Known Member

Stepping off a curb, unless the curb was broken and the concrete gave way is not negligence on Disney's part. That sort of suit would most likely get nowhere. Now, the concrete was wet due to a maintenance spill or other type of direct negligence there might be a case.

18. Courtney6682

I was just saying that there WOULD be people who try to. My point was the people will sue for ANYTHING...even if it's their fault...

21stamps and epcotlover888 like this.
  19. rob0519

rob0519 Well-Known Member

Well, under our system of government it is everyone's right to sue for anything, even if whatever they're suing for is their fault. I was saying a suit like that would probably get dismissed. Don't blame the people. Blame the system. Remember for everyone who gets something he or she may not deserve, there is someone who has a legitimate case and gets nothing or way less than they deserve.

20. GoofGoof

GoofGoof Well-Known Member

Good idea for a thread. Haven't read all of the pages, but did anyone else find it funny that someone slipped on toppings at the toppings bar at Pecos Bills?:D:D:p I'm sure it sucked for the person who fell and it must have been pretty serious to file a lawsuit, but tripping on some taco cheese or jalepano peppers is just plain funny. I do like the taco salad there:cool:

PhotoDave219 likes this.