2015 WDWMagic Imagineering Competition Videos: Your Official "Hub" Thread

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Greetings, fellow Armchair Imagineers!

So far we only have one video under our belt recapping contests for you guys, but I can't tell you how thrilled I am at the warm reception it's received. For those who haven't been caught up...I'll be hosting video recaps of each and every individual project from every Imagineering contest held on these boards throughout the year. I'm embarking on this project to give these boards a true new interactive feature and to fully bridge the gap from the text-based format you're all used to into bolder, multimedia based territories.

The idea of all these videos is to provide critiques, compliments, and constructive criticisms for every presented project during any given round of a contest. In addition to critiquing the actual work we'll also be taking long, hard looks at the team dynamics, twists and strategy taking place, giving our two cents as people get eliminated, as well as provide our predictions for what will happen in each comp moving forward. This should provide a fun and very engaging new addition to the gameplay format you're all used to.

In addition to this I'll also be striving for bonus coverage such as Exit Interviews with players as they're eliminated from their respective games, perhaps "career retrospectives" interviewing some of the more high profile members of this community on their portfolio of ideas and personal style. Really, the sky's the limit for how for you guys want to take these videos, I'm just going to start with the project-by-project recaps and see how things naturally evolve from there.

On the technical side of things, LittleGiants will be joining me for as many recap videos as he can given his schedule and will be considered my main cohost. There will definitely be times where I might need other guest people to fill the spot of the second person (I'm willing to do solo shows...but only as an absolute last resort...) This is where I'll need you guys to start to step up if you're at all interested in being considered as part of the regular roster. Right now we've got myself, JokersWild, and LittleGiant who will be coming on for the cast assessment of the next game as his first video. Joker will be away at college most of the Spring so I'm definitely looking for potential guest contributors wherever I can find them. The only basic requirement for this is that you have a working microphone and are comfortable broadcasting your voice on air. I totally understand those who wish to keep a level of unanimity so don't sweat it at all if you're uncomfortable with that prospect.

Between now and the time the next competition starts, Joker and myself will be doing a recap of season three of Sorcerer's Apprentice over the next several weeks broken up into multiple videos. This is where we really hope to dive into the individual styles of everyone in the community and get a sense of individual people's strengths and weaknesses moving forward.

One last thing...In addition to video recaps, JokersWild and I have also been floating an idea for a series around that never got off the ground called "Park Builders Unite". The essential idea is Armchair Imagineering in the form of a podcast. Take a panel of 3-5 people, give them a general challenge to work with, and see what they come up with in an hour or so. It would be myself as the main host with a rotating panel of guests joining me. Again, it could really add a fun new layer to the Armchair Imagineering going on here.

For now I'll let this post serve as a general intro to what were doing with the videos until everything's up to speed and we have all the details sorted out. Please refer to the second post for an archive of content.

DinoInstitute

Greetings, fellow Armchair Imagineers!

So far we only have one video under our belt recapping contests for you guys, but I can't tell you how thrilled I am at the warm reception it's received. For those who haven't been caught up...I'll be hosting video recaps of each and every individual project from every Imagineering contest held on these boards throughout the year. I'm embarking on this project to give these boards a true new interactive feature and to fully bridge the gap from the text-based format you're all used to into bolder, multimedia based territories.

The idea of all these videos is to provide critiques, compliments, and constructive criticisms for every presented project during any given round of a contest. In addition to critiquing the actual work we'll also be taking long, hard looks at the team dynamics, twists and strategy taking place, giving our two cents as people get eliminated, as well as provide our predictions for what will happen in each comp moving forward. This should provide a fun and very engaging new addition to the gameplay format you're all used to.

In addition to this I'll also be striving for bonus coverage such as Exit Interviews with players as they're eliminated from their respective games, perhaps "career retrospectives" interviewing some of the more high profile members of this community on their portfolio of ideas and personal style. Really, the sky's the limit for how for you guys want to take these videos, I'm just going to start with the project-by-project recaps and see how things naturally evolve from there.

On the technical side of things, LittleGiants will be joining me for as many recap videos as he can given his schedule and will be considered my main cohost. There will definitely be times where I might need other guest people to fill the spot of the second person (I'm willing to do solo shows...but only as an absolute last resort...) This is where I'll need you guys to start to step up if you're at all interested in being considered as part of the regular roster. Right now we've got myself, JokersWild, and LittleGiant who will be coming on for the cast assessment of the next game as his first video. Joker will be away at college most of the Spring so I'm definitely looking for potential guest contributors wherever I can find them. The only basic requirement for this is that you have a working microphone and are comfortable broadcasting your voice on air. I totally understand those who wish to keep a level of unanimity so don't sweat it at all if you're uncomfortable with that prospect.

Between now and the time the next competition starts, Joker and myself will be doing a recap of season three of Sorcerer's Apprentice over the next several weeks broken up into multiple videos. This is where we really hope to dive into the individual styles of everyone in the community and get a sense of individual people's strengths and weaknesses moving forward.

One last thing...In addition to video recaps, JokersWild and I have also been floating an idea for a series around that never got off the ground called "Park Builders Unite". The essential idea is Armchair Imagineering in the form of a podcast. Take a panel of 3-5 people, give them a general challenge to work with, and see what they come up with in an hour or so. It would be myself as the main host with a rotating panel of guests joining me. Again, it could really add a fun new layer to the Armchair Imagineering going on here.

For now I'll let this post serve as a general intro to what were doing with the videos until everything's up to speed and we have all the details sorted out. Please refer to the second post for an archive of content.
Everything planned sounds really cool! Looking forward to the upcoming shows on SA!
The Park Builders Unite I think is a very fun idea, and actually it was very similar to the original concept of the "Think Tank". Completely agree in that it'll change the Imagineering and add a new element to it!

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I'm very happy to announce that Joker and I will be going live with the first Sorcerer's Apprentice podcast tonight at 9:00 Pacific time. The SA recap will be split into three parts covering four projects each. Here's the show for when we go on air. As always, live shows will be immediately archived on my Youtube channel.

Another project I'm tinkering with is doing Elite Eight videos from the perspective of the players. I'd like to call it "Elite Eight Career Retrospectives" where this year's participants can come on-air and discuss the year they had in armchair Imagineering on WDWMagic that led them to be entered in the tournament. Basically spotlighting your highlights throughout the year. A couple people expressed interest in talking about their individual games when we did the first recap video, so I'd like to give everyone the opprotunity to do so. I figure it'd be a lot easier to do shows with anyone who'd like to do them individually instead of trying to work in multiple people for the same show. Please send me a message if you're at all interested in doing one of these...

@Voxel
@RMichael21
@MonorailRed
@tcool
@englanddg
@IDInstitute
@Matt7187
@jdmdisney99

Voxel

President of Progress City
I'm very happy to announce that Joker and I will be going live with the first Sorcerer's Apprentice podcast tonight at 9:00 Pacific time. The SA recap will be split into three parts covering four projects each. Here's the show for when we go on air. As always, live shows will be immediately archived on my Youtube channel.

Another project I'm tinkering with is doing Elite Eight videos from the perspective of the players. I'd like to call it "Elite Eight Career Retrospectives" where this year's participants can come on-air and discuss the year they had in armchair Imagineering on WDWMagic that led them to be entered in the tournament. Basically spotlighting your highlights throughout the year. A couple people expressed interest in talking about their individual games when we did the first recap video, so I'd like to give everyone the opprotunity to do so. I figure it'd be a lot easier to do shows with anyone who'd like to do them individually instead of trying to work in multiple people for the same show. Please send me a message if you're at all interested in doing one of these...

@Voxel
@RMichael21
@MonorailRed
@tcool
@englanddg
@IDInstitute
@Matt7187
@jdmdisney99

Sadly I'm busy tonight so I won't Be able to talk :(

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Great video!

I would like to see you guys do a bit more prep for the next one, as some of the projects felt a bit glossed over. But, I can understand why. There's a lot of details in many of these that are hard to do off the cuff.

Completely enjoyed it and looking forward to the next episode!

JokersWild

Great video!

I would like to see you guys do a bit more prep for the next one, as some of the projects felt a bit glossed over. But, I can understand why. There's a lot of details in many of these that are hard to do off the cuff.

Completely enjoyed it and looking forward to the next episode!
Yeah, we only had an hour and a half for this show, so we were trying to get through everything. We'll definitely be taking slower in the next three videos.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yeah, we only had an hour and a half for this show, so we were trying to get through everything. We'll definitely be taking slower in the next three videos.
I'm not sure the pacing was off...more that it would have helped had you both had a cheat sheet on boardroom, the controversies (for example, I covered who owned the IP during the Tintin thing, it's right there in the argument), and jotted a few notes on the details you want to talk about before.

Granted, this is a nitpick. In other ways, I thoroughly enjoyed the "first time seeing it" style as well.

Also, there is a way to flash up pictures / screenshares in Google Hangouts. That may be useful for future podcasts to share with the audience what you are referring to.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I'm not sure the pacing was off...more that it would have helped had you both had a cheat sheet on boardroom, the controversies (for example, I covered who owned the IP during the Tintin thing, it's right there in the argument), and jotted a few notes on the details you want to talk about before.

Granted, this is a nitpick. In other ways, I thoroughly enjoyed the "first time seeing it" style as well.

Also, there is a way to flash up pictures / screenshares in Google Hangouts. That may be useful for future podcasts to share with the audience what you are referring to.

I'm going to go ahead and completely take the blame on anything during this show we might have seemed unprepared for. I only gave myself an hour to read through the projects and thread which was a HUGE mistake, especially because I didn't know there were three teams and not two. Heck, I didn't even know we had access to the board rooms, I just assumed those were done via PM. I assure you the next show we do I'll have comprehensive notes and give myself plenty of time to fully read over everything.

Thanks for your tip with the pictures, that would actually be insanely helpful not just for the recap shows but for my podcasting in general. I'll be sure to study up on it and incorporate it in the future. I also want to see if we can get either a chat room or a "write in a question" system going up to interact with the people watching us live. It's just a matter of figuring out the technical side of it and then figuring out a way to work into the podcast and make it flow (as you might have noticed, I'm very much of the attitude of avoiding "dead air" whenever humanly possible, a pivotal skill in the podcasting "profession", haha :p )

By the way, the next Sorcerer's Apprentice podcast covering projects 4-6 will be going live Monday at 9:15 PMT. I'll have the link to the show up for you guys very soon. The first part has been archived in my second post on this thread.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm going to go ahead and completely take the blame on anything during this show we might have seemed unprepared for. I only gave myself an hour to read through the projects and thread which was a HUGE mistake, especially because I didn't know there were three teams and not two. Heck, I didn't even know we had access to the board rooms, I just assumed those were done via PM. I assure you the next show we do I'll have comprehensive notes and give myself plenty of time to fully read over everything.

Thanks for your tip with the pictures, that would actually be insanely helpful not just for the recap shows but for my podcasting in general. I'll be sure to study up on it and incorporate it in the future. I also want to see if we can get either a chat room or a "write in a question" system going up to interact with the people watching us live. It's just a matter of figuring out the technical side of it and then figuring out a way to work into the podcast and make it flow (as you might have noticed, I'm very much of the attitude of avoiding "dead air" whenever humanly possible, a pivotal skill in the podcasting "profession", haha :p )

By the way, the next Sorcerer's Apprentice podcast covering projects 4-6 will be going live Monday at 9:15 PMT. I'll have the link to the show up for you guys very soon. The first part has been archived in my second post on this thread.
I'll share more detail later when I'm not on the phone, but the compy, but there are ways through the "Live Event" feature to have your comments section function as chat. Slap the podcast on a 30 or 60 second delay, and that gives you time to review the comments while the other person is speaking, allowing the "interaction" with the comments to appear seamless to the watcher...

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
@LittleGiants16 will be joining me tomorrow night at 10:00 Eastern time for a full cast assessment on "The Sole Imagineer" going over each and every contestant, their potential standing in the tribes, predictions on how the competition and strategy will go down, and much more. Should be a great show. Here's the video for when we go live.

Following this show, @JokersWild and I will be going live for the second part of our Sorcerer's Apprentice 2 recap covering projects 4-6. This will start at 9:15 Pacific time.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
@LittleGiants16 will be joining me tomorrow night at 10:00 Eastern time for a full cast assessment on "The Sole Imagineer" going over each and every contestant, their potential standing in the tribes, predictions on how the competition and strategy will go down, and much more. Should be a great show. Here's the video for when we go live.

Following this show, @JokersWild and I will be going live for the second part of our Sorcerer's Apprentice 2 recap covering projects 4-6. This will start at 9:15 Pacific time.

Funny-gif-happy-clapping-computer.gif

I'll volunteer to do the Elite Eight Review Interview series as the first one of that group, if you like. Something this week would work well for me, I'm fairly flexible anytime after 7p Eastern Time.

(@MonorailRed should be next after me, and soon, since she ships out for her Tour of Duty soon)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Okay, so there's been a bit of a shift. @LittleGiants16 is feeling a bit under the weather today so were hoping to have the cast assessment up some time before the actual game starts. In the meantime Joker and I are still going live with Sorcerer's Apprentice part 2 tonight. The Elite Eight Career Retrospective scheduling is also coming together really well. The first will be with @IDInstitute tomorrow at 3:00 PM Eastern Time. We'll be following that with @MonorailRed Wednesday evening and @englanddg shortly thereafter. Really looking forward to getting to meet everyone "on-air", should be a great series of shows to kick off our 2015 coverage, and a wonderful way to look back on all the acheievments you guys have made over the past year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom