2015: The year of the EPCOT makeover?

Beholder

My dream would be for them to get rid of the entire Dino-RAMA area and replace it with something that isn't tacky

Exactly, because there are like a bajillion other extinct animals that they could make into something FAR more worthy of being inside a Disney park.

FigmentJedi

My dream would be for them to get rid of the entire Dino-RAMA area and replace it with something that isn't tacky
The roadside attraction with tacky dinosaur statues does feel like an appropriate choice of something to include in an area celebrating America's love of dinosaurs, what with dinosaurs being something that brings out America's cheesy side, but the problem lies in the execution. It's not just the generic off-the-shelf rides or the carnival games, the intended tackiness of Dinoland just seems really fake. There's a certain ugliness or disproportionate quality to classic roadside dinosaurs, but Dinorama's stuff is too clean and professional looking.
As far as a rework of Dinoland keeping a roadside attraction part to it, just replace the current carnival with a goofy dinosaur dark ride for families with a properly tacky dinosaur sculpture park outside and expand the land's scope some more with a secondary Dino Institute zone focused on Ice Age creatures or something.

DisneyGentleman

The roadside attraction with tacky dinosaur statues does feel like an appropriate choice of something to include in an area celebrating America's love of dinosaurs, what with dinosaurs being something that brings out America's cheesy side, but the problem lies in the execution. It's not just the generic off-the-shelf rides or the carnival games, the intended tackiness of Dinoland just seems really fake. There's a certain ugliness or disproportionate quality to classic roadside dinosaurs, but Dinorama's stuff is too clean and professional looking.
As far as a rework of Dinoland keeping a roadside attraction part to it, just replace the current carnival with a goofy dinosaur dark ride for families with a properly tacky dinosaur sculpture park outside and expand the land's scope some more with a secondary Dino Institute zone focused on Ice Age creatures or something.
A unique perspective - a desire for WDW to become tackier. You have a great future at TDO!

FigmentJedi

A unique perspective - a desire for WDW to become tackier. You have a great future at TDO!
Just saying, Animal Kingdom's a park about authenticity and place-making but those dinosaur sculptures sure as hell don't look like they were produced by Chester and Hester or some local artists: They just look like stuff Disney art training would result in. That dinosaur made out of recycled materials by the shop and that bipedal duckbill in that same area are the only ones that looks real.

smiling_dinosaur.jpg

ar130323391513605.jpg

14401261970_c254ba904a.jpg

A photo op with something like this would be fun. This guy is outside of Dinosaur National Monument and one of the big memories that stuck out from a childhood trip there.
dinosaur7.jpg

Ol Dinny from Vernal here is probably the closest thing resembling the Dinorama dinos, but even she isn't that Disneyesque. Much more Max Fleschier.
Vernal+Dinosaur+Land.tif

Last edited:

aka_emilicious

EPCOT needs to be refocused thematically as the technology and innovation park. Disney, listen to me very carefully. Think Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Las Vegas, where, each year, companies go to showcase their new products. EPCOT should be similar to that, but with an emphasis on new technologies and innovations for city use and consumer use. This is where the first holographic theater should be built, for example. They have the concept right with Test Track. Now, expand on that!

I have been sewing this for years now about innoventions. Offer start ups space to promote their products and campaigns. Heck, give Disney Research to show off their stuff.

We're living in Moore's Law where everyday something cool is popping up. But they can't stay for years, change everything out on a regular basis.

BrerJon

EPCOT needs to be refocused thematically as the technology and innovation park. Disney, listen to me very carefully. Think Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Las Vegas, where, each year, companies go to showcase their new products. EPCOT should be similar to that, but with an emphasis on new technologies and innovations for city use and consumer use. This is where the first holographic theater should be built, for example. They have the concept right with Test Track. Now, expand on that!

That's pretty much what Communicore used to be, and it was awesome. As a kid I remember trying all sorts of virtual reality stuff and giant video screens there and being wowed by it. Even with technology changing rapidly, there's still a big gap between when high concept things debut at CES and when the consumer can try them in Best Buy.

In the last few years you could have had the first 4K cinema demos, all the Oculus stuff, 3D printing workshops... if the average person can't figure out a Magic Band, if many people are still only working out what Twitter is, you can guarantee there are plenty of people who would be wowed by the latest tech, even if it is obsolete in a year (that's why you change up the exhibits frequently). Throw in a mini exhibit from SpaceX or Virgin Galactic and you're laughing.

Last edited:

Siren

All they have to do is restore the original Journey into Imagination and keep Captain EO or make a new Journey into Imagination that is faithful to the original with Dreamfinder and Figment. What the hell does frozen have to do with Future World?

I have suggested a viable solution or alternative for a space that is currently underutilized at Epcot. I think it's unrealistic to expect Disney to bring back old decommissioned rides and experiences from almost *three* decades ago.

Not to mention, I strongly disagree with the notion of keeping Captain EO. I don't get it -- people gripe about how Disney is not innovative and blah blah blah while simultaneously wanting things to remain exactly the same or revert back to how it once was.

Again, it is quite obvious that Frozen is not the ideal vision for the "idealized" or this overly romanticized vision that certain fans hold of Epcot -- but, realistically it is a great alternative that allows Maelstrom to remain intact.

One more thing, I find it so hilarious that you object to the idea of Frozen in Future World when literally *nothing* in Future World has anything to do with the actual future, and in the same breath you suggest to bring back attractions created 30 years ago and keep Captain EO, an attraction that is also approaching 30.

Siren

Peter, this is such a wonderful idea, it appears to fall right in line with the original concept for Epcot. Innoventions is the perfect space to facilitate a project of that magnitude. I would also love for Disney to create more rides, too!

FrankLapidus

Again, it is quite obvious that Frozen is not the ideal vision for the "idealized" or this overly romanticized vision that certain fans hold of Epcot -- but, realistically it is a great alternative that allows Maelstrom to remain intact.

The idea of putting Frozen in Future World makes what they're doing to Maelstrom seem like the greatest thing they've done in Epcot since the park opened.

It is an idea that makes absolutely no sense at all.

Siren

The idea of putting Frozen in Future World makes what they're doing to Maelstrom seem like the greatest thing they've done in Epcot since the park opened.

It is an idea that makes absolutely no sense at all.
I think you are taking this "way" too seriously. Based on what you've added to this discussion so far, which is basically nothing -- your opinion really doesn't matter to me, I thought that was pretty clear on page 5, lol. You've said this exact same thing again on page 6 and I don't understand this urgency to repeat it over and over again. I think it's a wonderful idea to axe Captain EO for something Frozen! I'm not here to convince you, that's my opinion. If it doesn't make sense to you, deal with it.

FrankLapidus

I think you are taking this "way" too seriously. Based on what you've added to this discussion so far, which is basically nothing -- your opinion really doesn't matter to me, I thought that was pretty clear on page 5, lol. You've said this exact same again on page 6 and I don't understand this urgency to repeat it over and over again. I think it's a wonderful idea to axe Captain EO for something Frozen! I'm not here to convince you, that's my opinion. If it doesn't make sense to you, deal with it.

I'm not taking it seriously at all, this is a WDW forum so what is there to take seriously? I just can't understand how someone could come up with an idea this terrible and honestly believe it to be "viable".

Drop the aggressiveness, you're posting on a public forum so if you don't want people to respond to your posts then take them to PM.

Siren

I'm not taking it seriously at all, this is a WDW forum so what is there to take seriously? I just can't understand how someone could come up with an idea this terrible and honestly believe it to be "viable".

Drop the aggressiveness, you're posting on a public forum so if you don't want people to respond to your posts then take them to PM.
Woah.... just take a deep breath and try to relax. If you're not taking it seriously then just let it go already. I won't even attempt to address what you consider to be "aggressive", since all you've managed to do is find exception with my idea(s) and attempt to discredit them with no logic whatsoever, lol. At least I have ideas, and I'm not afraid to share them.

If something doesn't make sense to me, I simply don't respond, let alone twice, but that's just me. And, I have no problem with *people* responding or disagreeing with me. I only have issues with rude, boorish individuals that have nothing else to offer than to insult or attempt to belittle someone. With that said, I do find it somewhat amusing because there are many fascinating theories behind this phenomenon, lol. So, thanks for the chuckle.

FrankLapidus

Woah.... just take a deep breath and try to relax. If you're not taking it seriously then just let it go already. I won't even attempt to address what you consider to be "aggressive", since all you've managed to do is find exception with my idea(s) and attempt to discredit them with no logic whatsoever, lol. At least I have ideas, and I'm not afraid to share them.

If something doesn't make sense to me, I simply don't respond, let alone twice, but that's just me. And, I have no problem with *people* responding or disagreeing with me. I only have issues with rude, boorish individuals that have nothing else to offer than to insult or attempt to belittle someone. With that said, I do find it somewhat amusing because there are many fascinating theories behind this phenomenon, lol. So, thanks for the chuckle.

o_O

I can assure you that I am entirely relaxed.

And how do I discredit your ideas with logic when your ideas are themselves lacking in any sort of logic whatsoever?

Mainahman

I did have a dream that I was an imagineer tasked with rebooting the imagination pavilion last night. I was tasked with making a 4d attraction like curse of dark castle at busch gardens Williamsburg, staring dreaamfinder and the original figment. They were traveling collecting memories and sparks of imagination, and on their way to the dreamport... Maybe disney can read my brain?

Kungaloosh1937

I did have a dream that I was an imagineer tasked with rebooting the imagination pavilion last night. I was tasked with making a 4d attraction like curse of dark castle at busch gardens Williamsburg, staring dreaamfinder and the original figment. They were traveling collecting memories and sparks of imagination, and on their way to the dreamport... Maybe disney can read my brain?

Disney tasked you to create an attraction based on a cheap Spider-man/Transformers rip-off?

Mainahman

Same type of technology. It was a really weird dream. Probably came from crunching numbers trying to finfpd a way to take my nieces and nephews the next 2 years.

Admiral01

Premium Member
Frozen seems to be replacing Finding Nemo as the worst thing that ever happened to WDW...EPCOT at least... Why is it that a successful movie makes everyone go stupid and attempt to shoehorn it into every area of the parks?

EPCOT does have issues:
- Imagination destroyed and sitting there waiting to be refurbed
- WoL sitting empty
- Energy being stale
- SSE descent that lacks any sort of emotion or showmanship
- 5 of the 11 World Showcase countries lack an attraction

With all those problems, why the heck are they taking a great attraction like Maelstrom and sticking Frozen in it? There are literally dozens of other projects that should get priority at EPCOT. Even with the much larger fish to fry at EPCOT, we lose a great attraction in favor of a cartoon ride that will be stale before this decade is even out. WDW management's attempt to ride the popularity of Frozen will be another nail in EPCOT's coffin. What was once the greatest theme park on Earth has been reduced to a Magic Kingdom wannabe because of short sightedness and a lack of imagination (no pun intended...but pun-worthy).

WDW needs to fix what needs fixing, and not screw up what doesn't need to be touched. With the consistent rumors of removing Impressions de France in favor of a ride based on a rat, it makes me want to be sick. Disney brand synergy is the downfall of EPCOT Center.

Ryan Toaddy

Frozen seems to be replacing Finding Nemo as the worst thing that ever happened to WDW...EPCOT at least... Why is it that a successful movie makes everyone go stupid and attempt to shoehorn it into every area of the parks?

EPCOT does have issues:
- Imagination destroyed and sitting there waiting to be refurbed
- WoL sitting empty
- Energy being stale
- SSE descent that lacks any sort of emotion or showmanship
- 5 of the 11 World Showcase countries lack an attraction

With all those problems, why the heck are they taking a great attraction like Maelstrom and sticking Frozen in it? There are literally dozens of other projects that should get priority at EPCOT. Even with the much larger fish to fry at EPCOT, we lose a great attraction in favor of a cartoon ride that will be stale before this decade is even out. WDW management's attempt to ride the popularity of Frozen will be another nail in EPCOT's coffin. What was once the greatest theme park on Earth has been reduced to a Magic Kingdom wannabe because of short sightedness and a lack of imagination (no pun intended...but pun-worthy).

WDW needs to fix what needs fixing, and not screw up what doesn't need to be touched. With the consistent rumors of removing Impressions de France in favor of a ride based on a rat, it makes me want to be sick. Disney brand synergy is the downfall of EPCOT Center.
I agree with everything except for Maelstorm being a great ride. I do not think it is that great (I can remember being a kid and thinking it was amazing), but I do not think that creating a Frozen ride is the answer. I have always felt that the World Showcase could use some new countries and attractions and Future World is just neglected. Basically we have been given Soarin and Test Track in the last 15 years. Mission Space was not an improvement. Imagination, WoL, and Energy are screaming for an improvements that could really make EPCOT amazing. But EPCOT is an awesome park but is really forgotten by the imagineers for some reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom