2013 Star Wars Weekends dates announced

I_heart_Tigger

I haven't been to SWW in years so forgive the stupid questions.

I'll be there for the final weekend - will Friday be any less busy and will it have all the same "stuff" going on as Sat./Sun.?

I'll be traveling solo so I don't need a huge space for the parade or Hoopla - how early should I be there for each? I would like to get some nice photos but I can put my 70-300mm lens on if I have to so if I'm not front row that would be ok.

Will Billy Dee Williams be in the parade? I'm thinking that will be my only chance to see him since I don't plan on lining up for autographs.

I'm kind of excited to go solo - much easier to navigate and get good parade viewing when I'm not leading 4-14 people around.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I haven't been to SWW in years so forgive the stupid questions.

I'll be there for the final weekend - will Friday be any less busy and will it have all the same "stuff" going on as Sat./Sun.?

I'll be traveling solo so I don't need a huge space for the parade or Hoopla - how early should I be there for each? I would like to get some nice photos but I can put my 70-300mm lens on if I have to so if I'm not front row that would be ok.

Will Billy Dee Williams be in the parade? I'm thinking that will be my only chance to see him since I don't plan on lining up for autographs.

I'm kind of excited to go solo - much easier to navigate and get good parade viewing when I'm not leading 4-14 people around.
The same stuff will be going on, but I would not count on the crowds being smaller as you start to get into the summer vacation season. For the parade I would line up about 30-45 minutes prior. Billy Dee should be in the parade. The Hoopla is nuts. Since you are on ground that actually slopes the wrong way, the only great seats are front row and people will get there 2-3 hours in advance grab them. If you have to see it, plan on camping. Otherwise come by when you are ready and make a judgement call.

I_heart_Tigger

The same stuff will be going on, but I would not count on the crowds being smaller as you start to get into the summer vacation season. For the parade I would line up about 30-45 minutes prior. Billy Dee should be in the parade. The Hoopla is nuts. Since you are on ground that actually slopes the wrong way, the only great seats are front row and people will get there 2-3 hours in advance grab them. If you have to see it, plan on camping. Otherwise come by when you are ready and make a judgement call.

Perfect. Thanks! I could easily spend a couple hours if I want the Hoopla seats. I carry a book with me and may grab a snack and just plan on staking out a spot early on.

I wasn't sure if schools are out most places by the June 9th weekend. Here in NS they have another 3 weeks left.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Perfect. Thanks! I could easily spend a couple hours if I want the Hoopla seats. I carry a book with me and may grab a snack and just plan on staking out a spot early on.

I wasn't sure if schools are out most places by the June 9th weekend. Here in NS they have another 3 weeks left.
They are starting to get out. My daughter gets out on the 7th. I think the schools in Tennessee are already out.

JawaLivin

For the Hoopla, I saw it each day last weekend and did it 3 different ways. Friday, we showed up around 630pm and were already a good 10 "rows" back from the stage, didn't think it would be a problem but when the show started up went the cell phones and cameras and as I am a Jawa (short) I could see SOME action but ended up watching a lot of it through peoples viewfinders (not fun). Saturday, I decided to watch it via the AI jumbo screen, showed up around 7pm got a seat by the picnic tables, was a more relaxing way to watch it but you do miss all the energy and excitement of the live show, plus the feed wasn't the best, audio cut out 5 minutes into the beginning and they kept flashing images from the main show big screen and it interfered with the actual show, missed some key elements of the dancing. Sunday, decided to just camp out, got there around 530pm, threw down a towel and had a good sit, we were in the second row on the right side facing the stage. DJ Elliot was awesome, playing some great music and there was a good group dancing which was entertaining. Yes, it was a long wait for the show but getting to see it so close was fantastic. I am already contemplating camping out for this Sunday's Hoopla. Hope some (or any) of this info helps in your planning! Enjoy your SWW, I just love it!

I_heart_Tigger

For the Hoopla, I saw it each day last weekend and did it 3 different ways. Friday, we showed up around 630pm and were already a good 10 "rows" back from the stage, didn't think it would be a problem but when the show started up went the cell phones and cameras and as I am a Jawa (short) I could see SOME action but ended up watching a lot of it through peoples viewfinders (not fun). Saturday, I decided to watch it via the AI jumbo screen, showed up around 7pm got a seat by the picnic tables, was a more relaxing way to watch it but you do miss all the energy and excitement of the live show, plus the feed wasn't the best, audio cut out 5 minutes into the beginning and they kept flashing images from the main show big screen and it interfered with the actual show, missed some key elements of the dancing. Sunday, decided to just camp out, got there around 530pm, threw down a towel and had a good sit, we were in the second row on the right side facing the stage. DJ Elliot was awesome, playing some great music and there was a good group dancing which was entertaining. Yes, it was a long wait for the show but getting to see it so close was fantastic. I am already contemplating camping out for this Sunday's Hoopla. Hope some (or any) of this info helps in your planning! Enjoy your SWW, I just love it!

That helps a lot. Thank you! I may just plan on staking out a good spot up front. I'm not a Jawa but also not Chewy - more Stormtrooper sized (5'9") so even if I get the first 4 rows I should be ok. How is the area laid out? Are there actually "rows" or is it a jumble of people jockeying for position?

I_heart_Tigger

Also, I hate to admit but I may end up being an annoying one if I get several rows back. :oops: My camera is one that has a swivel screen so if I have to shoot from over my head I can...and will. I tend to be able to compose shots pretty quickly though and I'm content with a couple of photos of each "scene" so I won't have it up there the whole time like many people do.

JawaLivin

How is the area laid out? Are there actually "rows" or is it a jumble of people jockeying for position?
Unfortunately there aren't any actual "rows" which leads to a jumble of people once the show starts. I used a towel to distinguish our spot prior to it starting last week, helped a lot when we were waiting. Last year there was a lot of pushing in by some teenagers trying to get up to the front, I didn't notice it this year. Hope you are able to get a good spot and enjoy the show, it is awesome this year!!

Black Pearl

We arrived by 3 AM and got in lines for the people we wanted to meet. Long Story short, Ray was awesome and surprised us by showing up at around 5 AM and hung out with us, signed, and took photos. Very informal and actually much cooler because we didn't have any lines and there weren't many people there to bombard him to the point where it was weird.

Ended up getting to meet Warwick and Jim in the same day as Ray thanks to that (all very cool), and had a great time even though I was operating on no sleep till 6 PM when we got back to the hotel room. Will be eating at Boma tonight and re-try the Star Wars Hoopla after.

Haven't bought a single Star Wars item (except cupcake) but keep eyeing the Salacious on the pillow for $35. Ugly as all get out but somehow enticing. Nothing really seems to hold a candle to my original 99 theatrical poster from Phantom that was signed ;) Not really a collector though anyway.

Will say that I thought about being made into a stormtrooper, but after seeing their samples I was disappointed. They didn't feel like action figures, regardless of the lack of movement, but the texture. Decided not to do it.

hokie075

Picked up the Salacious also. Not really like what I thought he would be like. I love it. They had a shirt too but only up to 2 XL. The crowd yesterday was crazy. Last year there probably half the people there was this year. Didn't get to do 1/3 of the park because wait times were so bad yesterday. But still had a good time and Got to meet Ray Park. That made my week.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Report from the front lines....It looks like number of the pins are gone. When I was there on Sunday the three LE pins pictured below were sold out.

400007554511-C.jpg

400007554528-C.jpg

400007555563-C.jpg

I was not really surprised that they were gone considering that I was there on what was effectively the half way point of SWW. The only way you could get them was in the framed set of all the SWW pins that came in at $300. I almost pulled the trigger on that purchase, but just could not do it. I'll be checking the outlet sotres shortly after SWW in the hopes that any leftovers might wind up there.

Everything else seems to be in good supply save for the ROTJ Mickey plush. They always seemed to be putting out more, but he had a very small spot on the shelves. I did not look at the Vinylmations so I have no idea what wast there or not.

I passed on the Salacious B. Crumb. I did not care for the quality or size at all. Everyone I saw just looked bad. I could not pull the trigger even at just $35. If I see one in the outlet I might pick one up.

bauton

Where exactly is the table to sign up for the jedi training academy? Also, do the kids have to be there in person during sign up?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom