2001 Attendance Estimates

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here's a look at the 20 most popular theme and amusement parks in North America, their 2001 attendance and the percentage change from last year as estimated by Amusement Business, a trade publication.

1. The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Orlando, Fla., 14.7 million, down 4%
2. Disneyland, Anaheim, Calif., 12.3 million, down 11%
3. Epcot at Walt Disney World, 9 million, down 15%
4. Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World, 8.3 million, down 6%
5. Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World, 7.7 million, down 7%
6. Universal Studios at Universal Orlando, 7.2 million, down 10%
7. Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando, 5.5 million, down 8%
8. SeaWorld Orlando, 5.1 million, down 2%
9. Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim, Calif., 5 million, opened in
10. Universal Studios Hollywood, 4.7 million, down 9%
11. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Fla., 4.6 million, down 8%
12. SeaWorld California in San Diego, 4.1 million, up 13%
13. Knott's Berry Farm, Buena Park, Calif., 3.58 million, down 3%
14. Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, N.J., 3.56 million, up 1.7%
15. Morey's Piers, Wildwood, N.J., 3.4 million, up 3%
15. Adventuredome at Circus Circus, Las Vegas, 3.4 million, up 7%
17. Paramount's Kings Island, Mason, Ohio, 3.36 million, up 4%
18. Six Flags Magic Mountain, Valencia, Calif., 3.2 million, down 3%
19. Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio, 3.1 million, down 9%
20. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, Calif., 3 million, no change

Source: Amusement Business

NowInc

Damn nice numbers....just goes to proove that high speed coasters and dangerous thrills dont stand up next to good themeing and a nice safe environment...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Yep you're right there NowInc.

It amuses me that people are content to shout down Animal Kingdom as a failure - but as these number show - it is outperforming every other non-Disney park in the area, which I would say is pretty encouraging.

Epcot is probably the biggest concern on that list. For its size and age, it should be outperforming MGM by a long way, and it isnt. I think this is reflected in the emphasis we are currently seeing on Epcot... such as Mission Space, new JIYI, rumors of soarin' over attractions etc...

It must be upsetting for Universal with those figures... it seems IOA really isnt working, and is far from the "Hit" they expected it to be.

WDWGuy

That is a very impressive list I have to say.

It really IS encouraging what both of you have said concerning theming and a safe enviroment. It just goes to s how you that Disney's concepts are still very much alive and working quite well.

With the opening of Pop Century, the re-assurgance of the touring public to return to WDW, and all of the face-lifts we're seeing at Epcot and around the world..despite cut backs..I think we will see a banner year ahead for WDW.

I love Universal's parks. But I think if any of the powers to be expected to pull ahead of the most popular resort destination in the world...needs to truely have their head examined :)

Having said that, I would TREULY love to hop on Hulk and Spidey this weekend..eheheh

Steve D

Debbie

The figures are interesting and the Epcot figure shouldn't surprise regular visitors. World Showcase has long been in need of some additonal countries. We rarely go back there. As far as Mission Space and updating JIYI, it's not enough to made it a point for us to go there. The Honey I Shrunk, however entertaining, is at least 5 years old and we have seen it enough times. Test Track is cool but not to wait an hour plus with little boys whining about how long it's taking. This park is in obvious need of crowd drawing additions.

Monorail Lime

EPCOT is the biggest loser in terms of change, down 15% from last year. I don't think this is really fair as I'm sure it had a surge last year because of the 2000 celebration. Does anyone have 1999 and 2000 figures for comparison?

NowInc

Originally posted by Monorail Lime
EPCOT is the biggest loser in terms of change, down 15% from last year. I don't think this is really fair as I'm sure it had a surge last year because of the 2000 celebration. Does anyone have 1999 and 2000 figures for comparison?

I am pretty positive you are correct...the last years estimates were much higher due to the 2000 stuff....I also expect that next years estimates for MGM will be way up there too due to the 100 year anniversary stuff...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here are the 2000 figures....

Magic Kingdom
15.4 million

Epcot Center
10.6 million

Disney-MGM Studios
8.9 million

Disney’s Animal Kingdom
8.3 million

Universal Studios at Universal Orlando
8.1 million

Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando
6.0 million

SeaWorld of Florida
5.2 million

Blizzard Beach
2.0 million

Typhoon Lagoon
1.8 million

Church Street Station
1.3 million

Wet ‘N Wild 1.3 million
La Nuoba presented by Cirque du Soleil

Ripley’s Believe It or Not!

WonderWorks

Fun Spot

Water Mania
400,000+

Gatorland, Inc.

Orlando Science Center

Wekiwa Springs State Park

Central Florida Zoological Park

Titanic-The Exhibit
200,000+

Skull Kingdom

Harry P. Leu Gardens

Forever Florida

Orlando Museum of Art 99,607

WDW-Imagineer

Wow, 6 out of the top 10! Also, didn't people say CA was a complete flop? Then why is it #9 and it only opened this year. I'd say that's a pretty good attendance record, become one of the top 10 parks in the country in only 1 year.

ToTBellHop

also take into account it wasn't open the first 40 days or so of the year, and that amount would probably have sent it over Sea World Orlando.

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by DogsRule!
also take into account it wasn't open the first 40 days or so of the year, and that amount would probably have sent it over Sea World Orlando.

Good point... only 100,000 difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom