Pre-Trip 2.5 Trips - 2 Coasts - and Skis?

Hi! Me again! Yes, it's Sandy...resident cake lady and fellow Disney lover.

10603342_10204987902645402_1484297610802536010_n.jpg

(sorry for the huge picture...borrowed it from Facebook and my size options were something like thumbnail and poster)

If you didn't already think I was at least a little bit crazy, you're likely to think I may be in need of a minor intervention after all of this. I was going to wait a bit on doing a PTR, but I'm already feeling a tad overwhelmed by the details here and PTRs do tend to help me sort it out. So, I bring you my dual trip PTR!

TRIP 1

So, I had this GLORIOUS idea that we'd go to Disneyland to enjoy all of the 60th Anniversary festivities.

10955789_10206119313569968_4385803717788020394_o.jpg

(just in case you needed to see how sparkly it's going to be - LOL)

I was hoping we'd go in early August so I could celebrate my birthday at DLR. Not exactly a diamond birthday for me at this point, but who doesn't love a birthday celebration at a Disney park? Plus, my birthday is relatively close to Disneyland's actual birthday. And while not cheap, with a summer trip, it was looking like I could treat myself to the Disneyland Hotel. Oh yea, I was going to live the dream!

Yes, this was a great plan until DH reminded me that I'd promised him a ski trip. Maybe you remember him...

15782402881_c26c5c2528_z.jpg

Does this look like the face of a man who would crush my Disneyland dreams? OK, not completely, but his holding me to a ski trip has forced me to make some major plan changes for Disneyland. While you can ski in SoCal, you can't exactly do it in August. November is also too early, so we're going to be doing this over Christmas/New Year's break. Yup- this is where the insanity comes in!

I booked us for Disneyland just after Christmas and we check out on New Year's Eve, but I know the crowds will be absolutely insane. In fact, due to the 60th, they're expected to be even more insane than the normal holiday insanity.

Now, don't think leaving Disneyland to ski will spare us any headaches with costs or crowds. If you think Disney is expensive at the holidays...take a look at ski holidays! And the slopes are sure to be packed! We'll be driving up to Mammoth on New Year's Eve and spend a few days up there before heading back home.

7303704486_ea99c50558_z.jpg

Yes, I know we'll be missing spectacular NYE fireworks at DLR, but they should be setting fireworks off from the mountain. There was a unanimous decision by all members of our household to see NYE fireworks from the mountains since it was so different than anything we've ever done.

So, here are the basic details I've got right now...

WHEN- December 27-January 3
WHERE- Disneyland and Mammoth Lakes, CA

LODGING

For Disneyland...well, the Disneyland Hotel was waaaaaaay out of the budget for this time frame. Now, I think most of us have heard that while it can be magical, unlike WDW, there's no overwhelming advantage to staying at one of the 3 Disney owned resorts for DLR. Sooooooooooo, I started looking at the Good Neighbor hotels. Ultimately, I wound up booking what I initially considered for our 2012 trip that never happened. So, we're staying at the HoJo. I've read (and seen YouTube vids) showing it's between a 5-10 min walk to the parks. So, while not as relaxing, it's about the same as walking from the Contemporary to MK. We can totally handle that! It's also got a decent pool, came recommended by several of my SoCal Disney peeps, and gets decent reviews.

Splash/Play area looks cool

2922452059_443eed51b1_z.jpg

images

Not sure if these other pics will post, but I'm going to try...

Has sort of a retro feel...

upload_2015-2-2_21-33-8.jpeg

images

Ok looking room...

images

So, we're booked for 4 nights...I bought 3-day hopper passes...and pre-paid for a premium character meal since the experts say this is one of the few prepayment meal options at DLR that can save you some $. We'll likely use it for Goofy's Kitchen...since I have no desire to do Ariel's Grotto!

I also plan on trying to get World of Color dining...and Carthay Circle is looking like our preferred choice. Some of the DLR experts I've spoken to said the dining packages are going to be a must just due to the timing of this trip. They also suggested the Fantasmic! dining package. While Blue Bayou is on my list of Must-Do eats and it is one of the F! pkg options, I just don't think I want to see F! I know - I know...California's Fantasmic! is far superior to WDWs, but I don't enjoy WDWs and I'm currently not wowed enough by the vids I've seen of DLR's to go out of my way for it. I know that's probably killing some DLR people- but not everyone is going to be in love with every show and with it being such a busy travel time...I think I might prefer to devote our time to other things.

Beyond that...I'm utterly overjoyed that I'm going to see the original IASW with the holiday overlay, excited to see the Haunted Mansion's holiday overlay as well...and ECSTATIC about everything with the 60th! Everything they've revealed so far looks amazing! In fact, it makes me kind of sad that WDW doesn't get this level of attention. And of course, we're going to Walt's park...so that alone is exciting.

Now, I know most of you aren't as interested in the ski half of this, but after we leave DLR...we'll be heading up into the mountains (in ideal conditions- about a 5.25 hr drive) and staying here...

upload_2015-2-2_21-43-31.jpeg

images

images

I know most of you don't care much for the ski details, so I won't devote a ton of time/space to them. Due to Trip 2, I may actually just relax slopeside while everyone else skis or snowboards.

Oh, and the girls want to see "Hollywood," so I'm hoping to get in early enough on day 1 to do a little bit of sightseeing in LA. DH and I have been to the area before- were there in 2003 (and I was not in a Disney place at the time- even though we did spend a bit of time in Anaheim and hung out in their DTD) - and from our experience, it seems doable if we can get in early enough.

We'll also have to rent a car. We are going to have to pack a ton for the weather differences and we will likely have to drive some on snowy roads, so we're debating the pros and cons of renting a truck or SUV. We shall see.

Oh, and the girls have been practicing their cold faces (including happy cold)...

15812146883_84e4b35dfc_z.jpg

16406221426_04f7653e87_z.jpg

16432203385_1e33ee3448_z.jpg

OK- now they're bringing the drama!

15809686204_dcc31cbc7e_z.jpg

And for those of you who haven't read my trip reports with the kids...the one in purple is Kendall (8) and the one in pink is Sammie (6). And the girls know about the trip...no surprises on that level with this...but I'm sure I'll weave in smaller surprises as planning progresses. In fact, I'm going to try and get a cake...but I have to learn how they do it...since it's not like WDW.

So, that's trip 1.

Trip 2

I'm hoping to run the Princess Half at WDW in 2016. So, that's about a month and a half after trip 1. Due to my asthma, I'm still at a run/walk...but I'm about to start working on my pacing with one of these...

71ZyP5lS-YL._SX522_.jpg

If you don't know what this is...it's a GPS watch...and once my right calf gets better, it's going to be my new best friend. A best friend that I curse at and probably have moments where I'm ready to toss it across the room.

I am not fast, but I'm hoping to get myself into a slightly better corral. So, I signed up for a half marathon for next month. Of course, I get injured right after signing up- FIGURES! It's not a major injury, but I still need to be careful...so I'm feeling like a total slug right now. I'm hoping to get back to training soon so I have a valid race time to include when registration opens for the princess. If there's time and my #s show improvement...I may try and get in another race after our busy season at work ends and before everything closes for the race for corral assignment.

While I know friends on here, at home and in various other places have expressed interest in joining me if they can make it work...DH and the girls definitely are staying home. So, this may wind up being a Sandy-only trip. Of course, the Princess is usually done during peak (President's Day week/winter break for some areas)...so it's not going to be cheap. Meaning I'm really going to have to be very shrewd with my budget and savings. I can't register for the race until mid-July and I don't think I can book lodging until August... so that at least gives me some time.

I'm still planning on Snow White for my running costume, I'm debating about the glass slipper challenge, and I might do different princesses if I go that route. We have to see how I feel and how the $ looks closer to the time. I know I also previously posted about upgrading my camera, but I don't think that's going to happen. I'm not all that bummed about it anymore because I'm learning some "new" things with my current camera. I recently learned that I can shoot in RAW...so, it has suddenly become more useful. It's embarrassing that I've had it this long without realizing that, but now that I have Adobe Lightroom- I am going to try and get the most out of my current camera before bumping up. Of course, I am totally clueless with Lightroom...so this is going to take some time.

In any event...it just feels so insane to do this so soon after DLR..at such crazy times.

:)

So, that's it for right now, but many of you know that I like to post all kinds of little updates...so, I'll be sure to post things (yup- even the minute details) as they come up.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more details! :D

mrdrift

Congrats on planning two trips.Disneyland is my home park and I can't wait for the 60th party to start. Also I wish you the best on your training to run a half marathon at Disney World. Stick with it and you will accomplish your goal even after your minor injury. Will be watching for more details.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Wow planning 2 trips :) And even be in Disneyland during the 60th party! Great! And off course following along an waiting for more details! Enjoy the pre-feelings just as much as we do!!

I'm a bit overwhelmed, but completely stoked that we're going to see DLR decked out for the holidays and sparkling for the 60th. Yeah- I'm definitely going to cry...several times...but of course, they'll be Mouseketears. ;)

Congrats on planning two trips.Disneyland is my home park and I can't wait for the 60th party to start. Also I wish you the best on your training to run a half marathon at Disney World. Stick with it and you will accomplish your goal even after your minor injury. Will be watching for more details.

Yeah- I can't wait for May when we finally get to see all of these great things they talked about last week. the 60th plans just sound SPECTACULAR! I should get back to putting in miles by this weekend. And who knows...if I like the princess...this may be my way to get back to WDW on a more regular basis (or DLR for their races) :)

Whoa Sandy. That's a big picture. :)

Love all the planning here. I too was hoping to make it to the 60th (my birthday is 7/18, and I'll be 25) but with the AP the cards are just better for WDW. At some point I will go to DLR for "our birthdays". I mean, seriously, I was born at 6:32. Disneyland hadn't even been fully operational for 24 hours on the 18th of 55. We're basically twins!!

If I'm moved down there by Feb. of 16, you have a cheerleader in me! I'll get some pom-poms and glitter!!!!

I warned you guys the pic was huge!

Oh wow- that would have been perfection...you celebrating your birthday with Disneyland! Still, I see what you're saying with regard to the AP. LOL- twins :D Gotta say...if you could have anyone or anything in the world to be a twin...well, Disneyland is a pretty awesome twin!

that would be awesome! Well, I guess we'll just have to see if you've moved and make sure I don't get shut out of race registration...which hopefully won't happen since I intend to sign up as soon as it opens. :)

FlaggNL

I'm a bit overwhelmed, but completely stoked that we're going to see DLR decked out for the holidays and sparkling for the 60th. Yeah- I'm definitely going to cry...several times...but of course, they'll be Mouseketears. ;)

I can imagine that you are overwhelmed!! And the crying? Absolutely Mouseketears :) Really consider me jealous about the California trip :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I can imagine that you are overwhelmed!! And the crying? Absolutely Mouseketears :) Really consider me jealous about the California trip :)

I think some of it is just going out of my comfort zone. Planning for WDW is a daunting task for most people, but I think like a lot of us, I've gotten to the point where I can do it in my sleep and plan WDW trips for 5-10 other people at the same time. Have you guys ever considered CA? I know it's a pricier plan ticket for us than FL, but there's so much to do out there. I wish I had a little more time to do some of the things I had in mind if we'd gone in August. I mean, I want to go to San Diego, I want to whale watch, etc. OH well...I guess if I make WDW more about me running and other trips more about the fam...I can do all of those things :) I mean, I was just helping a coworker plan for Yellowstone yesterday and it got me thinking how I can't wait to return there once the girls are a little older. Ok- I'm rambling...but Cali should be new and exciting!

FlaggNL

I think some of it is just going out of my comfort zone. Planning for WDW is a daunting task for most people, but I think like a lot of us, I've gotten to the point where I can do it in my sleep and plan WDW trips for 5-10 other people at the same time. Have you guys ever considered CA? I know it's a pricier plan ticket for us than FL, but there's so much to do out there. I wish I had a little more time to do some of the things I had in mind if we'd gone in August. I mean, I want to go to San Diego, I want to whale watch, etc. OH well...I guess if I make WDW more about me running and other trips more about the fam...I can do all of those things :) I mean, I was just helping a coworker plan for Yellowstone yesterday and it got me thinking how I can't wait to return there once the girls are a little older. Ok- I'm rambling...but Cali should be new and exciting!

I think I can agree, if we would go to CA it would be out of our comfort zone. We thought about WDW for years and years. We go to DLP 4 or 5 times a year, or we did until last year WDW :) DLP is an easy trip for us, just a 4 hour drive. With AP it is as easy as possible. And since we are shareholders of DP there are some more benefits. And in our opinion DLP was great, although we have to agree with the majority of complaints about DLP. And well in 2010 we got married and we told ourselves that WDW would happen when we are married for 5 years. A great way to have the anniversary. But last year we discussed with friends about WDW and out of the blue we planned a trip for October 2015! For me it was a return to a lot of years ago. I was at WDW back in 1989 when I was 18, was with y parents. But for the rest of my family it was there maiden trip. And then we decided not to go in 2015, but then again, we prefer WDW above a summer vacation in Spain or France. So we planned the trip for October 2015. CA is also on our wishlist and there are off course a lot of things that are different in CA. But the flight are much more expensive. It is not that common for Europeans to go to CA, instead of WDW. But I know that someday in the future we will have a trip to CA. Sacha is still studying now, so we are stick to school holidays for quite some years. And during summer holidays the trips are way more expensive than during October holidays and guess that when Sacha is older and working we will do CA outside any holiday... Look who's talking about rambling :) LOL

SeaweedCupcake

Been to Disneyland since I was a kid! At least 15 times. I'm also trying to figure out a way to go for the 60th and it looks like August will be for us. I ordered a cake for my DH's 30th birthday and I was really disappointed by the entire process. I was allowed to pick a cake flavor and a character and what I wanted it to say. DH was happy but I wasn't.
image.jpg

We so stayed at the HoJo once and it was fine. Clean, safe. But we don't have kids so the splash zone didn't appeal to us. The walk was something that in the morning isn't a huge deal but it was rough walking back after a day in the park.
The dining packages are the best way to go especially for World of Color. Carthay Circles viewing area isn't as nice as Ariel's grotto viewing zone. I was so disappointed seeing how far away we were in the Carthay area.
Can't wait to read this trip report!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I think I can agree, if we would go to CA it would be out of our comfort zone. We thought about WDW for years and years. We go to DLP 4 or 5 times a year, or we did until last year WDW :) DLP is an easy trip for us, just a 4 hour drive. With AP it is as easy as possible. And since we are shareholders of DP there are some more benefits. And in our opinion DLP was great, although we have to agree with the majority of complaints about DLP. And well in 2010 we got married and we told ourselves that WDW would happen when we are married for 5 years. A great way to have the anniversary. But last year we discussed with friends about WDW and out of the blue we planned a trip for October 2015! For me it was a return to a lot of years ago. I was at WDW back in 1989 when I was 18, was with y parents. But for the rest of my family it was there maiden trip. And then we decided not to go in 2015, but then again, we prefer WDW above a summer vacation in Spain or France. So we planned the trip for October 2015. CA is also on our wishlist and there are off course a lot of things that are different in CA. But the flight are much more expensive. It is not that common for Europeans to go to CA, instead of WDW. But I know that someday in the future we will have a trip to CA. Sacha is still studying now, so we are stick to school holidays for quite some years. And during summer holidays the trips are way more expensive than during October holidays and guess that when Sacha is older and working we will do CA outside any holiday... Look who's talking about rambling :) LOL

That is true...we've been going to WDW since 1985 and I've always noticed that it is quite popular with Europeans. I have a funny yet highly embarrassing story involving a German family from our first trip that really stands out in my mind, but still haven't hit that point where I'm ready to share. :oops: We saw mainly Americans that one time we were out in the DLR area. It was different in the earlier days- without the 4 gate draw, no DME, very few onsite resorts, etc. - but it still was quite the tourist haven. At this point in the game, I'm sure some of it is sheer size and the all inclusive potential of WDW these days. The deals I've heard some speak of, especially for UK residents, would make it pretty hard to pass up WDW. The air, while not cheap has to be better to MCO as well. I mean, I gripe about the cost of air out of Houston (and rightfully so after comparing our air to the deals my friend in Atlanta is getting), but we've even put off DLR due to the cost to get to CA vs. our options in getting to FL. It's also tough with the kids. I know Sacha is older than our girls, but school certainly makes it tough no matter where you live. I know lots of people in the US pull their kids out of school for Disney and other vacations, but I'm just too afraid of getting in trouble due to strict state laws.

OK- now I'm rambling! :hilarious: Oh well, we all try to make it work in one way or another when we can :)

Been to Disneyland since I was a kid! At least 15 times. I'm also trying to figure out a way to go for the 60th and it looks like August will be for us. I ordered a cake for my DH's 30th birthday and I was really disappointed by the entire process. I was allowed to pick a cake flavor and a character and what I wanted it to say. DH was happy but I wasn't.
View attachment 81712
We so stayed at the HoJo once and it was fine. Clean, safe. But we don't have kids so the splash zone didn't appeal to us. The walk was something that in the morning isn't a huge deal but it was rough walking back after a day in the park.
The dining packages are the best way to go especially for World of Color. Carthay Circles viewing area isn't as nice as Ariel's grotto viewing zone. I was so disappointed seeing how far away we were in the Carthay area.
Can't wait to read this trip report!

I wish we were going in August. I know it won't be dead then, by any means, but it has to be better than the late December crowds we're sure to see.

That's interesting with the cake. It reminds me a lot of the basic (previously frozen) buttercream cakes from WDW. The WDW versions get a lot of complaints too...from not tasting fresh to decoration issues. I know they can do fondant, but it sounds like I may need to press them for a more ornate cake.

Clean and safe are obviously very important. I imagine the girls will likely complain about the walk at the end of the evening, but thankfully, they handled WDW stroller free in 2013...so, we're hoping it's not too awful with them.

Good to know about WoC and Carthay Circle. I was hoping to avoid doing a princess meal, but the reality- a meal at Ariel's will not only get us better viewing...it may feel more Disney-like.

Just a little less than a year to go before a TR :D I guess at least it's time to save save save!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Runner's Whine

So, I took my gps watch out for the first time today. I knew my pace was going to be awful since I wasn't running at all and I was trying not to overdo it due to my recent calf issues. i.e. slower walking pace, less aggressive strides, etc. Still, I was so far off my normal pace that I wanted to cry. I mean, even when walking- I usually walk at a minimum of 4mph...and that's normally the minimum walking pace. I was just soooooooooooo slow today. I started to have this "I'm never going to finish the Princess if I don't get better and can't get my pace back to where I was." Which of course got me regretting booking this half for next month.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

SeaweedCupcake

Ariel's Grotto is great but dinner doesn't have characters. We ate there once for dinner and had a really nice relaxing time watching the sunset over Paradise Pier. Carthay Circle is a really great meal I just wish it had better WoC viewing, then I'd eat there every time!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Ariel's Grotto is great but dinner doesn't have characters. We ate there once for dinner and had a really nice relaxing time watching the sunset over Paradise Pier. Carthay Circle is a really great meal I just wish it had better WoC viewing, then I'd eat there every time!

I could be wrong, but I think they changed it in 2012 so that dinner would also be a character meal. I think they were running into the same issue as CRT prior to their change. i.e. people were less inclined to book dinner due to lack of characters.

coachwnh

Thats awesome that you will be in DL for the 60th. I'd love to be able to figure out a trip to see the park for the 60th. After visiting DL the past three summers, its tough knowing that as of now we have no plans to visit this year. Guess I'll be living through TRs like yours.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Thats awesome that you will be in DL for the 60th. I'd love to be able to figure out a trip to see the park for the 60th. After visiting DL the past three summers, its tough knowing that as of now we have no plans to visit this year. Guess I'll be living through TRs like yours.

I think the only reason DH is giving in to this trip is because I am making skiing happen in conjunction with getting my Disney fix. He is ready for lots of non-Disney trips and the kids are asking for a variety of non-Disney destinations as well. The reality- I'd like to go to a lot of the places they're requesting, but I still want my Disney fix. It's not going to be the same on my own, but if this RunDisney stuff works out...I'll at least have an excuse to go. What's really going to hurt...we're driving to FL this summer to see family. Unless something crazy happens...we'll be driving right by all of those exits to go towards I4 for Disney. :( :cry::grumpy:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I would not handle this well!

I have this CRAZY idea of booking a last minute ADR at WCC and ordering a small cake. i.e. pop in for early lunch at WCC, boat to Contemporary, pin trade around the monorail loop and then back to WL to get back on the road. The reality...that would take several hours and kill my already ultra-lean budget for this FL getaway.

FlaggNL

That is true...we've been going to WDW since 1985 and I've always noticed that it is quite popular with Europeans. I have a funny yet highly embarrassing story involving a German family from our first trip that really stands out in my mind, but still haven't hit that point where I'm ready to share. :oops: We saw mainly Americans that one time we were out in the DLR area. It was different in the earlier days- without the 4 gate draw, no DME, very few onsite resorts, etc. - but it still was quite the tourist haven. At this point in the game, I'm sure some of it is sheer size and the all inclusive potential of WDW these days. The deals I've heard some speak of, especially for UK residents, would make it pretty hard to pass up WDW. The air, while not cheap has to be better to MCO as well. I mean, I gripe about the cost of air out of Houston (and rightfully so after comparing our air to the deals my friend in Atlanta is getting), but we've even put off DLR due to the cost to get to CA vs. our options in getting to FL. It's also tough with the kids. I know Sacha is older than our girls, but school certainly makes it tough no matter where you live. I know lots of people in the US pull their kids out of school for Disney and other vacations, but I'm just too afraid of getting in trouble due to strict state laws. OK- now I'm rambling! :hilarious: Oh well, we all try to make it work in one way or another when we can :)

Wow an embarrasing story and not ready to share :) Quite a story I guess :) But I understand you completely. In DLP you don't see many Americans since you have two such great parks in the US. And I know I told that CA is on the wishlist, but then again I guess DHK is also! But that's a different one, because that's a lot more time in the air before touchdown :) Sacha is older, but still in school (in my opinion as long as she wants :)). The laws here in the Netherlands are very strict until 18 years, but on the otherhand, school rules are very strict as well. So we need to go during holidays as well. And the holidays in May and October are much cheaper than going in the high summer season! And to compare... when you wanna go in October to WDW prices go from € 950 up to (much) more, but in summer season the prices start with € 1500. And for CA it's about € 1500- € 2100 per person and that is without the park admission. Don't you ever dream about going to DLP or DHK? Guess when Sacha is older and we can go outside the holidays the chance of hoing to CA is much bigger :) And hey, no rambling at all! Like it that the messages are longer than regular :)

Last edited:

Mickey81

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. My DW, DD and I are finally going to make the trip to Disneyland during Christmas week. We've been talking about it for a while, but the 60th finally made us do it. The planning is so much different then WDW. I was shocked when I found out I had to book each day for restaurants at the 60 day mark and couldn't go out from our arrival day. Anyway have a fantastic trip.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Wow an embarrasing story and not ready to share :) Quite a story I guess :) But I understand you completely. In DLP you don't see many Americans since you have two such great parks in the US. And I know I told that CA is on the wishlist, but then again I guess DHK is also! But that's a different one, because that's a lot more time in the air before touchdown :) Sacha is older, but still in school (in my opinion as long as she wants :)). The laws here in the Netherlands are very strict until 18 years, but on the otherhand, school rules are very strict as well. So we need to go during holidays as well. And the holidays in May and October are much cheaper than going in the high summer season! And to compare... when you wanna go in October to WDW prices go from € 950 up to (much) more, but in summer season the prices start with € 1500. And for CA it's about € 1500- € 2100 per person and that is without the park admission. Don't you ever dream about going to DLP or DHK? Guess when Sacha is older and we can go outside the holidays the chance of hoing to CA is much bigger :) And hey, no rambling at all! Like it that the messages are longer than regular :)

I know! It's from my very first trip to WDW back in the mid-80s. Just one of those stories that probably won't come out :) Nothing awful or anything like that...just embarrassing.

I understand on the schools being strict. While many in the US have the luxury of pulling their kids out of school for vacations, there are a few states with strict attendance laws. Of course, enforcement of those laws falls to individual school administration, but many of them will make a thing of it if you push things too much. We could face misdemeanor criminal charges as well as fines if our girls have more than 2 unexcused absences in a 60 day period. So, we're faced with cramming trips into long weekends or traveling at peak times. This is a big part of why we're combining Disney and ski time into 1 trip. Still, the cost of skiing is making the Disney stuff look like the budget part of our trip! :eek: Not sure about DHK, but I could see us ending up at DLP if we return to Europe.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. My DW, DD and I are finally going to make the trip to Disneyland during Christmas week. We've been talking about it for a while, but the 60th finally made us do it. The planning is so much different then WDW. I was shocked when I found out I had to book each day for restaurants at the 60 day mark and couldn't go out from our arrival day. Anyway have a fantastic trip.

Ahhhh...so, you'll be braving the holiday crowds as well! I knew about the dining part since we had looked into this back in 2012. I do think it's funny that I'll be booking dining for my Feb WDW trip before our DLR trip. Oh well...in some ways it's kind of nice to see a more relaxed approach to some of it. Have a great trip too!!!

FlaggNL

I know! It's from my very first trip to WDW back in the mid-80s. Just one of those stories that probably won't come out :) Nothing awful or anything like that...just embarrassing. I understand on the schools being strict. While many in the US have the luxury of pulling their kids out of school for vacations, there are a few states with strict attendance laws. Of course, enforcement of those laws falls to individual school administration, but many of them will make a thing of it if you push things too much. We could face misdemeanor criminal charges as well as fines if our girls have more than 2 unexcused absences in a 60 day period. So, we're faced with cramming trips into long weekends or traveling at peak times. This is a big part of why we're combining Disney and ski time into 1 trip. Still, the cost of skiing is making the Disney stuff look like the budget part of our trip! :eek: Not sure about DHK, but I could see us ending up at DLP if we return to Europe.

:) sometimes it's better to keep stories for yourself instead of sharing them with the world :) Especcially when they are embarrasing, although I hope not for you!

I understand completely about fines and crmininal charhes. here in the Netherlands the same. And in the city we live in it is even stricter. There is cooperation between the schools, local government and the country government to bring back the figures of kids not attending school. So that's why we always go during holidays. Sometimes we take a day but that's all. For DLP we can go during weekends so that is easier trip. But now we have been to WDW we are spoiled. LOL It is so much better than DLP! Only thing is we have to choose between summer holiday in a warm european country or October trip to WDW. And as you can imagine the choice is easy! So you are originally Europeans?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom